Universal Love David Teague

Remove this Banner Ad

The reality is, you can't have the majority of games in a season where we have 5-6 goal swings against us and not question the coaching. It is either mentally weak players, unfit players or tactical adjustments not occuring. All come down to coaching players physically and mentally.

The following are issues I am struggling to understand:

Why is Cripps playing when he seems to be completely beaten up, especially off short turn arounds?

Why is Doc playing as a loose defender when he seems completely lost and struggling to find the ball. Perfect example the 2 v 1 where a kid in Hill kicked a goal. Luke Hodge called it perfectly, Doc as the loose man completely misread the situation.

Why is SPS still playing in defence? Seriously he isn't a defender and seems to have 0 confidence at this point.

Why is Tom Williamson not taking EVERY kick in, when he was last night it was fantastic to see.

Why does our midfield mix continue to have players with 0 pace or ability to break away from the contest? Further to that why if we have a slow midfield mix do we have slow wingers.... Why cannot we not see Walsh, Fisher, Cunners or even kids like Philp in the midfield?

Why are we continuing to play Simpson, sorry to shoot bambi but he is providing nothing offensively or defensively? Same goes for Betts and Casboult. Have offered next to nothing over multiple weeks now. Honestly outside of 1 game for Murphy our only Senior players that can hold their heads high are Jones and E Curnow.

Why is Mitch McGovern gifted games? Auto inclusion every week who has offered absolutely nothing.

I honestly think we need to clear out our assistant, how John Barker still has a job baffles me. But seriously what does Cameron Bruce know about winning football???? Luke Power great addition. But it looks like Teague REALLY needs some help.

These issues should be easy enough to understand:

- Cripps is playing because he is our captain, best player, and whatever physical injury he is probably both unlikely to get worse and manageable for now. He draws a tag and attention every week which means the opposition has to change its game plan to account for him.

-Doc is playing as the loose defender because he reads the game as well as anyone we have and is dangerous in that role to the point most teams rage him. He made a single mistake vs GWS in the last quarter but seriously - he played that role brilliantly all game?

- SPS is playing in defence because he is arguably our best option for balance and he played that role well last year. He hasn’t been tried elsewhere despite lack of form likely due to reduced training loads. We almost certainly won’t have a proper training between games this week and given the complexity of midfield and forward patterns you can’t exactly just throw a 22 into the middle full time and hope he knows what to do?

- Docherty takes our kick ins because he’s our captain and best decision maker, and because Williamson is a 21 who prior to this year hadn’t played AFL footy in 2 years?

- our midfield, like most teams, has shifted to playing contested ball winners inside and runners outside. Walsh is playing the fat side wing role, arguably the most important position in modern football because of the constant decision making it requires. We have consistently rotated Martin and Cuningham through the middle - I assume Fisher lacks the fitness at the moment.

- Simpson has been fine. Casboult is out of touch and looks to be playing injured but is at least ready to go in contests and can backup ruck. Who replaces him that is better? Betts - also having a bit of a goal drought but generates chances for himself and other, and again, who plays his role better

- McGovern is an auto inclusion because of his flexibility. With Charlie our he is the flex guy And he adds a lot of versatility and options - he can lead up the wing or play deep. Fast enough for us to play him in a big forward line with McKay/Casboult and a ruck pushing forward. Good enough in the air if we want a fast forward line with him as the second tall. When he is around defenders have to put body on him in the air which allows him to create space for others. Had good leading patterns and creates space rather than congestion. Good blocker. It would be nice if he got more disposals and kicked more goals but he plays the 6th forward role better than anyone in the league imo.

- On the assistants we are hardly going to change that on a 4 day break while in a Golf Coast hub. To the specifics - I’m not sure on Barker but he seems a good motivator and that’s important with a young team who lose more than they win. Cameron Bruce was an assistant at Hawthorn for 3 premierships so probably knows a bit about winning.

To be honest, Teague has impressed me considerably. His match day coaching is exquisite at times, considering the pretty ordinary list he has to work with. We have controlled every game this season for at least a patch and haven’t really had a blowout loss - it bad for a team of oldies and youngies whose second best midfielder is Ed Curnow!

He’s generally put guys in positions to succeed, reintegrated guys coming off injuries (Doch/Williamson) well, and we are winning more than before into the bargain.

Not any more. Too old now.... move along
We need to make our internal leaders step up (Cripps, Doc, Murphy, Walsh, Weitering, etc). All our boys will be bigger and better next year
You have completely misunderstood what I meant.

A player like Hodge coming into our side in his early 20's etc..

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

McKay, Martin, Casboult, etc. kick better and we win probably all those games.
The coach is a genius when the team is executing.
And don't give me the Plan B Bull. Bad kicking is always coach killing no matter what the Plan is.

Teague doing a great job for mine as we are around where I thought we would be this year.
And cripps missed some sodas

The club opted to appoint Teague who has L plates on even though publicLy Judd said the club wanted a coach who had been part of a AFL winning grand final either as a coach or player. Teague has neither. Bewildering selection process.
Good luck to Teague but Judd needs to be held to account.

The club opted to appoint Teague who has L plates on even though publicLy Judd said the club wanted a coach who had been part of a AFL winning grand final either as a coach or player. Teague has neither. Bewildering selection process.
Yeah. Damn Judd getting a good coach.

when you've officially run out of anything relevant to say..........

Look I know it hasn't been a great week for The Judd's with Bec's unfortunate faux pas comments about Dan Andrews, but its a bit rough blaming Chris for so called perceived problems with Coach Teague, esp as most of us are happy/satisfied with the job he is doing so far..

For the Zillionth time I have said this week, our biggest problem right now (far more than coaching ) is lack of quality young player drafting and development, something which really has blighted the club since Parko retired as coach.

If we don't rectify that problem/issue (sooner rather than later hopefully), there is simply no point changing coaches every 3 years or so. Just an never ending cycle of mediocrity and lower-mid table disappointment.

We need to back Teague in for the long haul and give the VFL/Seconds team/department all the resources and best qualified people available to assist with our next generation of players. Kemp, Stocker, Philp etc

Yeah. Damn Judd getting a good coach.
Not sure Teague would have got a senior coaching position at any other club. Uninspiring appointment. Time will tell. Judd was on the panel who selected Bolton as was Davis Campbell. Both were on the panel who selected Teague. Both will have to walk if it doesn’t work out.

Not sure Teague would have got a senior coaching position at any other club. Uninspiring appointment. Time will tell. Judd was on the panel who selected Bolton as was Davis Campbell. Both were on the panel who selected Teague. Both will have to walk if it doesn’t work out.
He would have got the Crows gig over Nicks, so he dodged a bullet there. I would have liked an experienced senior assistant or D.O.C but there was a bit of uproar about Roos and Lyon around this place., whether that has any influence on the decision makers, who knows .

I think supporters sometimes think we are at a stage where we ought to go through an entire season undefeated. The reality is that we are NOT a top 4 side now. There is a distinct gap in the quality and depth between our list and the list of the top teams. That said, we have gone through this season without our number 1 ruckman and our most versatile and creative forward. This year has been a complete anomaly. Next year will prove significant where we hope to return to normality with fixturing, season lengths, game time and the re-introduction of the VFL. I've long questioned our assistant coaching line up, and would hope that the Club could at least appoint a mentor for Teague. Beyond that - Teague is progressing just fine.

He's not even had a full season yet. Chill Ricky. He's so fine. He'll blow your mind Ricky.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you add up his record as caretaker, Teague still has a very respectable win-loss record.

Should add our loss to last year's Grand Finalists who are just getting back into their 2019 form, was nowhere near as bad as many here are making out.

I am not sure what kind of angle you are playing here or whatever grudge or agenda you have against Teague, suffice to say I think you could not be more wrong.

He would have got the Crows gig over Nicks, so he dodged a bullet there. I would have liked an experienced senior assistant or D.O.C but there was a bit of uproar about Roos and Lyon around this place., whether that has any influence on the decision makers, who knows .
Wouldn’t have got the crows gig. Mark Ricciuto not a fan of his. Undermined Pyke.

I’m a huge Teague fan and truly believe he is the man to take us to our next premiership.

But he needs to be surrounded by some quality assistants and a more senior figure to bounce ideas off. He needs some support

Who should we have chosen then? Malthouse? Lyon? Scott? Other?

He’s been around all night and that’s a little long....

It's a bit rough passing judgement on a coach in his first season especially when faced with a year where the football is being played under conditions nobody has ever had to negotiate before.

IMO the season's been more good than bad for us and we sit right where I thought we'd sit. We aren't a finals side yet so it's no failure not to be playing finals.

Too many trying to hold individual players and coaches to account for their own overblown expectations. Thankfully we got some semblance of a season to follow at all. Teams can't even train together as a full group, I don't know what people were expecting to see from a developing group.

I wasn't a member of the 'Teague train', I wasn't unhappy with the appointment but if the job would have gone to someone else I wouldn't have been devastated. I'm willing to give him a lot more time to show us what he can do with this group, we aren't Richmond of the '80s and '90s, enough with eating our own, that isn't the way you support a club.

Last edited:
It's a bit rough passing judgement on a coach in his first season especially when faced with a year where the football is being played under conditions nonbody has ever had to negotiate before.

IMO the season's been more good than bad for us and we sit right where I thought we'd sit. We aren't a finals side yet so it's no failure not to be playing finals.

Too many trying to hold individual players and coaches to account for their own overblown expectations. Thankfully we got some semblance of a season to follow at all. Teams can't even train together as a full group, I don't know what people were expecting to see from a developing group.

I wasn't a member of the 'Teague train', I wasn't unhappy with the appointment but if the job would have gone to someone else I wouldn't have been devastated. I'm willing to give him a lot more time to show us what he can do with this group, we aren't Richmond of the '80s and '90s, enough with eating our own, that isn't the way you support a club.
Agree 👍🏻

I find the pining for Ratten ironic - feels like the criticisms against Teague are very similar to what happened before the club fired Ratten. They both set the teams up a similar way and encouraged attacking football.

Teague will coach now and next year, no doubt. As he should. Reckon a senior coach sitting beside him would be good and, like many, I reckon there's some dead wood among the assistants that should be moved on.

I find the pining for Ratten ironic - feels like the criticisms against Teague are very similar to what happened before the club fired Ratten. They both set the teams up a similar way and encouraged attacking football.

Teague will coach now and next year, no doubt. As he should. Reckon a senior coach sitting beside him would be good and, like many, I reckon there's some dead wood among the assistants that should be moved on.
Please tell me Barker has been fired out of a cannon?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back