Davis Cup 2016 Australia v USA March 4th-6th

Remove this Banner Ad

Does the dead rubber have to be played? What's the rule on this? I've seen on occasions when it's not played.

If it is 2-1 leading into the final day and the tie is decided in the 4th tie the teams can agree to call the dead rubber off.

If it is 3-0 after day 2 both dead rubbers have to be played.

I don't really get why people are taking shots at Hewitt over this tie. With Kyrgios pulling out it was the best move. Millman can't play doubles and Groth couldn't play all three days. Hewitt and Peers did well against a good combination. It won't happen again and it was a one off, just move on.

The USA are a good team and we were missing two of our best three.

As I have said before we really should of won the whole thing last year. We would of beaten Belgium in the final. Groth and Hewitt played a poor doubles against the Murray's.

I get the impression Hewitt was given the job of DC captain as a way of helping him transition from being a player to retirement but the DC captain's job is not meant to be therapy for retired players, it's meant to help us win the DC! Would be nice if both players and captain could be selected on merit and less favouritism was on display.

What did Hewitt do wrong?

As I have said before we really should of won the whole thing last year. We would of beaten Belgium in the final. Groth and Hewitt played a poor doubles against the Murray's.

Kyrgios would have been the only player capable of beating Goffin on clay and he was on the outs. Whether that would have been patched up in time who knows. Definitely not a sure thing that we would have won.

What did Hewitt do wrong?

Poor choice of surface, failure to plan for replacements when he had potentially two players that would be unfit/unwell only days before the tie began, selecting himself to play as part of the tie, selecting Groth to play in the tie in the first place. That'll do for starters ;)

As I've said before, I like what Hewitt has done as a player and especially in Davis Cup and I think he will have a lot to contribute as time goes on. I also think he can be helpful to guys like Kyrgios and Tomic as he was a hot head when he started out too. I just don't think he has covered himself with glory in this first tie, athough he did have a few challenges, and feel his appointment was made on his terms and not what was best for Australian tennis.

Last edited:
What irks me is we are going to have people saying Tomic and Kyrgios are disrespecting Australia, blah blah. They are young athletes who grew up playing the sport under a microscope. What do people think will happen? When you're a kid, you are more prone to saying s**t like we had with Hingis, Serena, Venus, Hewitt, Roddick, Federer, Djokovic, Thiem, Harrison and so on.

When players mature things change like Federer, Djokovic, Serena, Venus, Zvonareva, Hewitt and so on.

Not disrespecting Australia, just two spoilt immature brats "being Themselves".
Fairly typical of their generation!

Poor choice of surface, failure to plan for replacements when he had potentially two players that would be unfit/unwell only days before the tie began, selecting himself to play as part of the tie, selecting Groth to play in the tie in the first place. That'll do for starters ;)

Grass is Tomic & Groth best surface and Isner/Sock's worst surface. Millman wouldn't of done any better than Groth and no one would of done better than Hewitt/Peers in that doubles match. Not sure what Lleyton did wrong. We got beat by a better side with our strongest player out, not sure how that is his fault at all.

I respect Tomic for coming to play Davis Cup and he has done a fantastic job for the most part but his outburst today is ridiculous and just another sign of immaturity from him. He loses respect for Kyrgios because he plays Indian Wells, please, the guy is a dead set moron. Didn't realise Tomic had time to get a medical degree while he was driving his ferrari in Miami.

Watching the match now and again Tomic just keen to play a defensive game, just not smart tennis from a guy who has a great tennis brain when he feels like it. Isner is a tough matchup, yes, but trying to adjust to that matchup would be nice.

Kyrgios had already tried to get his name in the headlines this morning...will be filthy that Tomic overshadowed it. :p

It would be controversial if it wasn't the truth.

Watching the match now and again Tomic just keen to play a defensive game, just not smart tennis from a guy who has a great tennis brain when he feels like it. Isner is a tough matchup, yes, but trying to adjust to that matchup would be nice.
Agree with the whole post but this bit in particular. I just wish somebody could get through to him that his current game style doesn't play to his strengths. If anything it exposes his weaknesses. He's winning matches because he is a bloody talented tennis player, not because his strategy is fantastic. If he was consistently just a tad more aggressive and willing to make a few mistakes - use that forehand, go for the one-two punches - he would be a much better player than he is currently. I don't know if it's a coaching thing or if he's too stubborn to change but I'm starting to think it's not ever going to happen. He just shows no willingness to attack, even when he's being hit off the court or forced into errors by better grinders.

Grass is Tomic & Groth best surface and Isner/Sock's worst surface. Millman wouldn't of done any better than Groth and no one would of done better than Hewitt/Peers in that doubles match. Not sure what Lleyton did wrong. We got beat by a better side with our strongest player out, not sure how that is his fault at all.

I respect Tomic for coming to play Davis Cup and he has done a fantastic job for the most part but his outburst today is ridiculous and just another sign of immaturity from him. He loses respect for Kyrgios because he plays Indian Wells, please, the guy is a dead set moron. Didn't realise Tomic had time to get a medical degree while he was driving his ferrari in Miami.

I thought as soon as Nick was ruled out we had little hope of winning, so I don't blame Hewitt for the loss at all. I just think some poor decisions have been made along the way. The doubles was always going to be difficult as we just don't have a doubles combo like the US have in the Bryans (we need a new set of Woodies!).

I don't care too much what Tomic or Kyrgios have to say on the sidelines to Hewitt or on Twitter or wherever, they are both not that bright and still very immature. Really only interested in how they perform on court. Nick has been killing it lately so it was unfortunate he couldn't play. Didn't see the match this morning but sounds like Bernie didn't play his best which is a pity.

Look I had a great day yesterday and probably got to see the best match of the tie so I'm not complaining too much, just voicing a few thoughts and misgivings that's all. And I do think Millman should have been given a go, despite all the things that people keep saying were not in his favour. He is a never say die kind of player and he has dragged himself up into the top 100 and is in form and is ranked above Groth who is totally out of form. IMO it was worth a punt to give him a go just as much as it was to persist with Groth or to bring Hewitt back.

Australia was lucky to get as far as they did last year. Czech Republic w/o Berdych and injured Stepanek vs Aus w/o Kyrgios. Kazakhstan would've won if not for Hewitt and Groth heroics (FWIW, the Kazakhs are leading Serbia (w/ Djokovic) 2-1). Also Hewitt/Groth were not poor against the Murrays. They played above themselves the same way Hewitt/Peers played yesterday. They were just outplayed. Even if the Brits were beaten, the final would've still been played in Belgium on clay. Not exactly a forgone conclusion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Australia was lucky to get as far as they did last year. Czech Republic w/o Berdych and injured Stepanek vs Aus w/o Kyrgios. Kazakhstan would've won if not for Hewitt and Groth heroics (FWIW, the Kazakhs are leading Serbia (w/ Djokovic) 2-1). Also Hewitt/Groth were not poor against the Murrays. They played above themselves the same way Hewitt/Peers played yesterday. They were just outplayed. Even if the Brits were beaten, the final would've still been played in Belgium on clay. Not exactly a forgone conclusion.

It is never easy to win but I think for a lot of reasons you mention, it was a good chance. I just thought the door was opened up with a lot of top players out.

No Davis Cup final is easy but Id rather Goffin than Federer, Wawrinka, Djokovic ect.

Interesting with tomic stating it is how their relationship works regarding the openness and subtle remarks. You would have to question if kyrgios plays IW next week though.

Not disrespecting Australia, just two spoilt immature brats "being Themselves".
Fairly typical of their generation!

I disagree about the whole generation. I think it's unfair to make that generalization. Tomic had issues with the TA. I mean if we think that was bad, what do we think of the issues that Bartoli had with French Tennis or the issues right now with the French DC and Noah. Li Na with China, Russian players with Maria to name a few.

There are so many issues in tennis with so many boards and players but we pin them on young guys who just have been thrusted into the spotlight at a young age and with their personalities, they are finding it hard to adjust. I don't like Kyrgios but let's be honest if he was in a different country like Lithuania, would anyone care? (well maybe the Stan comment). If Bernie was playing for Denmark, would anyone care? No.

For some reason as Australians we except all our athletes even at a young age these days to be like a nun or a saint. It's not going to happen.

It would be controversial if it wasn't the truth.

Pretty much. Ben is not that great of a writer. Same as Courtney. Both a really just do the simple day to day stuff.

Cc2o-szUsAAaUEz.jpg

Way to be a pro, Ben and Nick.

These so called journalists on social media. What do they do? Screenshot and show the tweets or post gifs with someone eating popcorn. Bud Collins didn't pave the way for this stuff.

However what else is happening? An event in Mexico and KL while the Davis Cup's major teams are basically though (UK and Serbia still in battle).

These so called journalists on social media. What do they do? Screenshot and show the tweets or post gifs with someone eating popcorn. Bud Collins didn't pave the way for this stuff.

Yep, Bud Collins would be burning 'those pants' right about now.

There are so many issues in tennis with so many boards and players but we pin them on young guys who just have been thrusted into the spotlight at a young age and with their personalities, they are finding it hard to adjust. I don't like Kyrgios but let's be honest if he was in a different country like Lithuania, would anyone care? (well maybe the Stan comment). If Bernie was playing for Denmark, would anyone care? No.

For some reason as Australians we except all our athletes even at a young age these days to be like a nun or a saint. It's not going to happen.

It's because our attitude towards athletes is outdated. For a long time the Australian public has had this holier-than-thou attitude because we've been led to believe by the media that our athletes are the greatest in the world in sportsmanship (LOL. Hewitt?) and they are all drug-free (obviously not) and we are always punching above our weight (umm no, not always), yadda yadda yadda. Let's face it. Most of our athletes 'in the public eye' are boring personality-wise. Their press conferences and interviews are just a waste of time and our idiot media and sporting governing bodies are the big reasons why things are this way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back