Davis Cup 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Peers and Groth is probably the best combination but it worries me a bit esspecially on clay. To play Thompson and Kokkinakis on clay is tempting but neither could play singles and doubles.

I was thinking more of bringing Kokkinakis in for Groth and playing either Kokkinakis or Thompson with Peers in the doubles and the other one could play singles. So most likely Thompson in the doubles and Kokkinakis in the singles.

It would seem Kokkinakis has to be in the team now. If they can both stay fit Kyrgios and Kokkinakis to play singles. If Peers and Thompson can play the doubles together then that gives us some flexibility.

Another alternative is Kokkinakis and Thompson play the doubles given they play together a bit and then split their singles matches.

As I said everyone has to be fit but if they are then that is a decent team.

I have concerns that Nick won't be fit for this tie now. It's only 10 weeks away and I'm not sure he'll be recovered by then from this hip problem which seems quite severe, especially if he has to have surgery (not saying he will, bit if he does).

Really hope Kokki will be fit and firing for Davis Cup selection

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I just don't think we can afford to have Groth and Peers in the same team. I think given the age and experience of our team we need that third singles option.

Agree. Groth used to be that but his singles form doesn't warrant it anymore. Ironically he is doing quite well in doubles at Wimbledon, he and Lindstedt knocked out third seeds Murray and Soares in the second round.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our 2nd choice will be as important as our first choice in singles. Can't see any Australian getting close to Goffin on clay at home. that means we would have to beat Darcis(or 2nd choice Belgium player) twice and the doubles.

i honestly wouldnt play Nick. He is not right atm and could lose to anyone at this moment.

Probably won't be any changes to the Aus team, injuries permitting. Goffin has struggled since coming back from injury, and Darcis pulled out of a tournament last week after his first match back from an injury sustained at Wimbledon. Three and a half weeks away and we're the more in form/fitter team.

Probably won't be any changes to the Aus team, injuries permitting. Goffin has struggled since coming back from injury, and Darcis pulled out of a tournament last week after his first match back from an injury sustained at Wimbledon. Three and a half weeks away and we're the more in form/fitter team.

Groth out, Kokkinakis in would be bloody tempting

Heard yesterday that Millman has been drafted into the Davis Cup team, just for practice purposes I think though. At this stage I think all players are available (not counting Tomic of course). I assume Nick is OK if he played a couple of rounds of doubles at the US Open.

Thompson is through to the 3rd round of the US Open doubles and won't be that far behind Groth in the doubles rankings. I am leaning towards Nick playing two singles (if fit), Kokkinakis and Thompson playing a singles each and Peers and Thompson playing doubles.

I am not suggesting this will be easy as no away Davis Cup tie ever is but this seems like a huge opportunity given other possibilities.

Obviously there are three rubbers to target but as hard as Goffin is on clay I think all three of our potential singles players are a rough chance against him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back