Draft Expert Davo-27's 2021 u18 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Academy V Geelong VFL Big Improvers
after watching the Geelong VFL V AFLA (149-19) some players increased their value, some consolidated their positions and a few theres a couple of questions about whether they can handle the bigger bodies ect, wonderful insight into how they can step up to the level imo.

i want to highlight the players who increased their value substantially in that performance imo

Josh Fahey - well that performance was great, has to go top 10 now imo, GWS will be happy and annoyed, happy they have a quality kid who can step up to the level, annoyed that they couldnt get him with a late first.

Nick Daicos - another great performance from him, confirms him as the 2nd best talent in the draft behind Horne

Jason Horne - consistent 4 quarter effort, was strong and powerful, showed off his speed in a couple of moments, has to be #1 pick

Cooper Hamilton - he has gone from late first 2nd rounder, to likely middle first round, was strong all game and showed off his distance running late in the game chasing down opponents and had clean disposal all game.

Neil Erasmus - great in the air and usually clean disposal, really showed some class and had some good moments for AFLA

Matthew Johnson - was one of AFLA most consistent and best performers, was involved in many contests and stood out as one of the best midfielders in the draft pool

Toby Conway - he did really well all game even when not in the ruck, got on the wrong end of some dodgey umpire decisions, weird free kicks against, but was proabaly the best ruck/tall performance for AFLA

Josh Rachele - did some good stuff late even though he was cramping, didnt get a lot of opportunity because of the low i50 count along with most of the forwards, but kicked a 55m+ goal in the 3rd and was one of the few AFLA that could match it physically with the VFL team.

a few more had some good moments that are worth mentioning Mac Andrew, Finn Callaghan, Josh Gibcus, Jase Burgoyne, the rest were a bit disappointing from my PoV. (Matthew Roberts played out of position as a forward flanker and didnt play that well, im less disappointed with him as he played out of position, but still a bit disappointed)

after watching the Geelong VFL V AFLA (149-19) some players increased their value, some consolidated their positions and a few theres a couple of questions about whether they can handle the bigger bodies ect, wonderful insight into how they can step up to the level imo.

i want to highlight the players who increased their value substantially in that performance imo

Josh Fahey - well that performance was great, has to go top 10 now imo, GWS will be happy and annoyed, happy they have a quality kid who can step up to the level, annoyed that they couldnt get him with a late first.

Nick Daicos - another great performance from him, confirms him as the 2nd best talent in the draft behind Horne

Jason Horne - consistent 4 quarter effort, was strong and powerful, showed off his speed in a couple of moments, has to be #1 pick

Cooper Hamilton - he has gone from late first 2nd rounder, to likely middle first round, was strong all game and showed off his distance running late in the game chasing down opponents and had clean disposal all game.

Neil Erasmus - great in the air and usually clean disposal, really showed some class and had some good moments for AFLA

Matthew Johnson - was one of AFLA most consistent and best performers, was involved in many contests and stood out as one of the best midfielders in the draft pool

Toby Conway - he did really well all game even when not in the ruck, got on the wrong end of some dodgey umpire decisions, weird free kicks against, but was proabaly the best ruck/tall performance for AFLA

Josh Rachele - did some good stuff late even though he was cramping, didnt get a lot of opportunity because of the low i50 count along with most of the forwards, but kicked a 55m+ goal in the 3rd and was one of the few AFLA that could match it physically with the VFL team.

a few more had some good moments that are worth mentioning Mac Andrew, Finn Callaghan, Josh Gibcus, Jase Burgoyne, the rest were a bit disappointing from my PoV. (Matthew Roberts played out of position as a forward flanker and didnt play that well, im less disappointed with him as he played out of position, but still a bit disappointed)

I thought Horne was pretty average, however Fahey and Rochelle both impressed.

Yup did well at pressuring.

But offensively and ball winning wasn't quite there. Not the worst but imo for a BF consensus number 1 pick he was underwhelming.
He does "look" busy with his frantic head/hair wobble though.

Jason Horne played an average game early and he started to influence a bit more in the second half with some break away from centre possessions ect, as well as a bunch of important strong tackles and strong marks, in a game where the team got easily beaten on all lines im looking for any sparks of quality i can get, i think the AFLA midfield lacked physical size and cohesion, even though Matthew Johnson, Nick Daicos or Jason Horne had plays that were positive they didnt have the backup from their team mates to make the play a clean entry into the forward line, it was a hard day for any of them to look good, but i believe some did and i have named the 8 that i believe did, the rest i thought had their moments during the game as well and a small few that were overall negatives to the team as a whole.

i dont think Horne is a 30 poss midfielder, more a strong, quick and physical player who has performance on the board in the sanfl, the context of the game is important, if he was playing for South Adelaide against Geelong, you would see a different performance i believe, not that he played badly, its just he was on a team being easily pushed aside.

Last edited:
Jason Horne played an average game early and he started to influence a bit more in the second half with some break away from centre possessions ect (in a team that was monstered, average was good) as well as a bunch of important strong tackles and strong marks, in a game where the team got easily beaten on all lines im looking for any sparks of quality i can get, i think the AFLA midfield lacked physical size and cohesion, even though Matthew Johnson, Nick Daicos or Jason Horne had plays that were positive they didnt have the backup from their team mates to make the play a clean entry into the forward line, it was a hard day for any of them to look good, but i believe some did and i have named the 8 that i believe did, the rest i thought had their moments during the game as well and a small few that were overall negatives to the team as a whole.

I agree that he improved as it went on and the cohesion of the AA team was just not there.

Thought he lacked peripheral vision a fair bit with outliers often to his left or right in space but went for a pressured kick often resulting in turn over.

Definitely has the edge over the rest of those mids in physical competitiveness at the contest and man, something Daicos needs to find add to his game.

Top 30 - 25th April Update
Top 30 - 25th April (becoming more accurate)

1. Jason Horne - Sth Adel - 184cm 78kg
2. Nick Daicos - Coll F/S - Oakleigh -183cm 72kg
3. Matthew Johnson - Subiaco - 191cm 80kg
4. Josh Rachele - Murray - 180cm 78kg
5. Campbell Chesser - Sandringham - 186cm 83kg
6. Josh Fahey - GWS A - 186cm 76kg
7. Josh Sinn - Sandringham - 186cm 72kg
8. Matthew Roberts - Sth Adel - 183cm 81kg
9. Jacob Van Rooyen - Claremont - 194cm 88kg
10. Ned Long - Northern - 192cm 88kg
11. Tyler Sonsie - Eastern - 181cm 76kg
12. Sam Banks - Tasmania - 187cm 73kg
13. Ben Hobbs - GWV - 183cm 80kg
14. Neil Erasmus - Subiaco - 188cm 80kg
15. Joshua Browne - East Frem - 185cm 77kg
16. Finn Callaghan - Sandringham - 189cm 82kg
17. Cooper Hamilton - 182cm 86kg - Bendigo
18. Toby Conway - Geelong - 204cm 90kg
19. Morgan Ferres - Sturt - 190cm 80kg
20. Josh Gibcus - GWV - 195cm 84kg
21. Arlo Draper - Sth Adel - 185cm 74kg
22. Josh Goater - Calder - 190cm 79kg
23. Rhett Bazzo - Swan Dist - 195cm 81kg
24. Jack Williams - East Frem - 195cm 91kg
25. Lewis Rayson - Glenlg - 181cm 64kg
26. Yousef Dib - Coll NGA - Oakleigh - 174cm 76kg
27. Connor MacDonald - Dandenong - 184cm 77kg
28. Braden Andrews - Oakleigh - 189cm 83kg
29. Max Chipper - Swan Dist - 182cm 72kg
30. Jacob Edwards - Sandringham - 202cm 83kg

it was hard to get to a good 30, in previous lists my last 5 or so have been names i have just put out there, but this one i think is more accurate, theres a few others i like from SA, like Shay Linke, Cooper Beecken and James Willis, theres a few vic kids like Hugh Hamilton, Greg Lord, Charlie Molan, Max Walton, Jed Rule, Mac Andrew ect. (Braden Andrews im not 100% sold on, but i felt like he had some good performances as a 16 yr old at the champs that he deserved a mention, but i will have to see more of his games, but everyone else on the list of 30 i like so far)

Last edited:
Tassie V Eastern impressions, Tassie are a good unit this year.

Tasmania:
Jye Menzie - playing midfield instead of small forw, he has been best on ground so far, absolutely quality first half, i did not expect that, he might do enough to put his hand up as a possible mid season draft prospect if he continues this vein of form

Sam Banks - looks a top class player, playing hbf and mid, moves well, good athletic movements and his goal early in the first was what you would expect at AFL level

Logan Elphinstone - 202cm 87kg - good around the ground ruck, very slim, but has good footy skills and IQ, was caught in some pressure situations and handled them with ease, especially for a big man. although he lost the ruck duels to his opponent who looked about 20 kgs bigger.

Oliver Davis - again playing a consistent midfield role

Lachlan Cowan - found one for 2022 draft, this kid has a good athletic profile from how he moves on field, clean hands and a bit of skill, depending on his development he has a good chance.

Young and Holmes - look like good forwards

then theres a bunch of Tassie guys who look solid at the level Sanders, Gardner, Lowe, Smith, White and Foley

Eastern:
Greg Lord - was the best for Eastern so far, taking a bunch of intercept marks and trying to rebound from the onslaught of Tassie attacks

Mitchell Shruk - also trying to rebound the flurry of attacks from Tassie

Tyler Sonsie - struggled to get into the game in the first half, definitely had his colours lowered, i think the Ranges may struggle if they cant get a good group in the midfield to help Sonsie, went forward and was productive with a couple and some good efforts.

Keeling, Soligo, Cilecken were solid contributors for Eastern, but it was a rough first half.
Thanks for this, for some reason the app never really works for me. I cant watch Tassie this year :( Has Menzie's disposal improved this year? For me its his biggest issue.

Top 30 - 25th April (becoming more accurate)

1. Jason Horne - Sth Adel - 184cm 78kg
2. Nick Daicos - Coll F/S - Oakleigh -183cm 72kg
3. Matthew Johnson - Subiaco - 191cm 80kg
4. Josh Rachele - Murray - 180cm 78kg
5. Campbell Chesser - Sandringham - 186cm 83kg
6. Josh Fahey - GWS A - 186cm 76kg
7. Josh Sinn - Sandringham - 186cm 72kg
8. Matthew Roberts - Sth Adel - 183cm 81kg
9. Jacob Van Rooyen - Claremont - 194cm 88kg
10. Ned Long - Northern - 192cm 88kg
11. Tyler Sonsie - Eastern - 181cm 76kg
12. Sam Banks - Tasmania - 187cm 73kg
13. Ben Hobbs - GWV - 183cm 80kg
14. Neil Erasmus - Subiaco - 188cm 80kg
15. Joshua Browne - East Frem - 185cm 77kg
16. Finn Callaghan - Sandringham - 189cm 82kg
17. Cooper Hamilton - 182cm 86kg - Bendigo
18. Toby Conway - Geelong - 204cm 90kg
19. Morgan Ferres - Sturt - 190cm 80kg
20. Josh Gibcus - GWV - 195cm 84kg
21. Arlo Draper - Sth Adel - 185cm 74kg
22. Josh Goater - Calder - 190cm 79kg
23. Rhett Bazzo - Swan Dist - 195cm 81kg
24. Jack Williams - East Frem - 195cm 91kg
25. Lewis Rayson - Glenlg - 181cm 64kg
26. Yousef Dib - Coll NGA - Oakleigh - 174cm 76kg
27. Connor MacDonald - Dandenong - 184cm 77kg
28. Braden Andrews - Oakleigh - 189cm 83kg
29. Max Chipper - Swan Dist - 182cm 72kg
30. Jacob Edwards - Sandringham - 202cm 83kg

it was hard to get to a good 30, in previous lists my last 5 or so have been names i have just put out there, but this one i think is more accurate, theres a few others i like from SA, like Shay Linke, Cooper Beecken and James Willis, theres a few vic kids like Hugh Hamilton, Greg Lord, Charlie Molan, Max Walton, Jed Rule, Mac Andrew ect. (Braden Andrews im not 100% sold on, but i felt like he had some good performances as a 16 yr old at the champs that he deserved a mention, but i will have to see more of his games, but everyone else on the list of 30 i like so far)
Morgan Ferres and Shay Linke both played SANFL Reserves yesterday, neither found much of it but interesting they're both maybe seen as chances for League debuts later in the season.

Thanks for this, for some reason the app never really works for me. I cant watch Tassie this year :( Has Menzie's disposal improved this year? For me its his biggest issue.

I think he looks better in midfield, he has more space and yes his disposal has improved, which has been good to see.

Surprised to see Sonsie as low as 11. Looks like he's had a solid start to the year with our dominating. Have others just gone past him Davo-27 ?

He's had a poor 3 games in a row, particularly against the Geelong VFL side, despite playing big chunks in the middle.

Struggling to create enough ball for himself without it being won for him, which is a bit of a red flag at the level.

He's had a poor 3 games in a row, particularly against the Geelong VFL side, despite playing big chunks in the middle.

Struggling to create enough ball for himself without it being won for him, which is a bit of a red flag at the level.
His stats look pretty good from his last NAB cup game (21 touches 2 goals 2 behinds) and his round 1 game looked dominant.

I'm only going off the stats though and if he isn't winning his own footy it is a worry.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surprised to see Sonsie as low as 11. Looks like he's had a solid start to the year with our dominating. Have others just gone past him Davo-27 ?

i think he has had an ok start to the season, but his last 2 games have been disappointing, in both games he was in a team that struggled to win the ball in the centre and he has struggled to have an impact(as an inside mid thats your job to win contested ball or at least contribute in some way), in the Tasmania game he went to the forward pocket and contributed with 2 goals which saved an otherwise poor display from him and his team, in the other against Geelong VFL side he had nearly no influence at all, i dont think he is bad, i just think that maybe a few have gone past him, can he come back, definitely and i hope he puts in good performances to climb back up the rankings.

Last edited:
i think he has had an ok start to the season, but his last 2 games have been disappointing, in both games he was in a team that struggled to win the ball in the centre and he has struggled to have an impact, in the Tasmania game he went to the forward pocket and contributed with 2 goals which saved an otherwise poor display from him and his team, in the other against Geelong VFL side he had nearly no influence at all, i dont think he is bad, i just think that maybe a few have gone past him, can he come back, definitely and i hope he puts in good performances to climb back up the rankings.
Thanks for the reply.

That's definitely something to keep an eye on.

Thanks for the reply.

That's definitely something to keep an eye on.

thats why rankings is a fluid thing, in recent years guys who have been touted as top 10 players like Dylan Williams, Cam Taheny, Mitch O'Neill ect have dropped down the order and some significantly because of poor performances ect, it happens sometimes, but i wont condemn anyone after a couple of bad games, but i will drop them a few spots and see if it becomes a pattern or if it was just a form slump.

Murray V GWV Player Reviews
watching the Murray V GWV game, impressions

Murray: no one really stood out for Murray, but there were a group of solid contributors and they play a well drilled team game, the ones i liked the look of for Murray were guys i would want to keep tabs on during the year, unfortunately most of the good players are 19 year olds as you would expect as they are more developed, but less likely to be drafted.

Kade Chalcraft, 19
Charlie Byrne, 19
Patrick Parnell, 19
Ben Ashley-Cooper, 19
Ethan Warburton, 19
Daniel Turner, 19
Thomas Panuccio, 19
Toby Murray - 198cm 80kg
#23 - i dont know the identity of this player but he was one of the best for Murray
Tom Brown - 186cm 71kg

GWV:
Fraser Marris 19, was clearly the best on ground, which is probably why he got the AFLA late call up and he did ok in the AFLA game as well which can only help his mid season draft chances

Jack Bambury - 179cm 79kg
Kai Lohmann - 185cm 76kg
Jamieson Ballantyne - 183cm 79kg
Josh Gibcus - 195cm 84kg
Charlie Molan - 186cm 83kg
Nick Hodgson, 19
Sam Breuer - 183cm 80kg

(GWV) - Jye Lockett and Blake Scott have potential, not their best games, but when the game was there to be won Scott did step up in 4-5 important contests changing momentum from being a couple goals behind to having a goal lead, then the team went on to win by around 2-3 goals, so great work by Scott, Lockett pops up here and there for a goal, from his contests i like what i see in bursts, but is it enough?

Last edited:
AFL Academy V Geelong VFL Match Replay & who to look out for
Keep an eye out for

#7 Cooper Hamilton
#6 Nick Daicos
#19 Neil Erasmus
#16 Josh Fahey
#9 Jason Horne
#22 Matthew Johnson
#4 Josh Rachele
#29 Toby Conway

Western V Oakleigh Player Reviews
Western V Oakleigh - impressions

Western: not many standouts, most of the play has been on Oakleighs terms

Harrison White - 175cm 70kg (19), small mid with a lot of heart
Cody Raak - 192cm 80kg (19), has been ok, got a few poss but has not done a lot with it, a few intercept marks from wayward kicks

Oakleigh: the usual suspects
Nick Daicos (Coll F/S)- 183cm 72kg, is doing whatever he pleases, gathering poss and spreading, moving forward and kicking goals

Sam Darcy (WB F/S)- 197cm 73kg, absolutely starring as a tall defender/ruck, super impressed, up there with Daicos as clearly the best 2 on the field (i believe he has kicked 5 goals in 2 school outtings as well in the last week)

Giorgio Varagiannis - 177cm 75kg (19), having a great game, clutch under pressure on a few occasions

Rankin, Thomas(19), Beilby(StK NGA), Kelvie(19), Thompson and Brown all having good games as well so far.

Last edited:
Western V Oakleigh - impressions

Western: not many standouts, most of the play has been on Oakleighs terms

Harrison White - 175cm 70kg (19), small mid with a lot of heart
Cody Raak - 192cm 80kg (19), has been ok, got a few poss but has not done a lot with it, a few intercept marks from wayward kicks

Oakleigh: the usual suspects
Nick Daicos (Coll F/S)- 183cm 72kg, is doing whatever he pleases, gathering poss and spreading, moving forward and kicking goals

Sam Darcy (WB F/S)- 197cm 73kg, absolutely starring as a tall defender/ruck, super impressed, up there with Daicos as clearly the best 2 on the field (i believe he has kicked 5 goals in 2 school outtings as well in the last week)

Giorgio Varagiannis - 177cm 75kg (19), having a great game, clutch under pressure on a few occasions

Rankin, Thomas(19), Beilby(StK NGA), Kelvie(19), Thompson and Brown all having good games as well so far.
Looks like Darcy is working his way up to be a 1st round selection, Would he be good enough to get into top 10 conversations in your opinion

Looks like Darcy is working his way up to be a 1st round selection, Would he be good enough to get into top 10 conversations in your opinion

at this stage i would replace Braden Andrews with Sam Darcy in my top 30, if he is 203cm that adds value to his draft position, i need to see more of the draft pool to make a solid call, at this stage because of no 2020 we only have small sample sizes of performances to go off of, but he is in the conversation to be first round pick and if he continues this rich vein of form at school footy, NAB League and National Champs then he could possibly be top 10?

i wish i had seen this game prior to the Phantom Draft we just had, i would have picked him up for a bargain.

I watched the Scotch v Caul game on Saturday. Lots of NAB league kids in both teams. Darcy stood out kicked 3.1 in first 5 minutes before for some reason he went into the ruck and alternated fwd for rest of game. Looked like one of the King brothers playing school footy, just too big for anyone else. Josh Rachele playing for Caulfield, looked quality when he got it, but when playing midfield Beilby seemed to beat him. Beilby was probably the best on for either team over 4 quarters. A skinny little year 10 kid from Scotch wouldn't be 50kgs, Jagga Smith, kicked 4 goals in a close game. Very quick and elusive and great skills, suspect he will be on everyone radar in a few years.

I watched the Scotch v Caul game on Saturday. Lots of NAB league kids in both teams. Darcy stood out kicked 3.1 in first 5 minutes before for some reason he went into the ruck and alternated fwd for rest of game. Looked like one of the King brothers playing school footy, just too big for anyone else. Josh Rachele playing for Caulfield, looked quality when he got it, but when playing midfield Beilby seemed to beat him. Beilby was probably the best on for either team over 4 quarters. A skinny little year 10 kid from Scotch wouldn't be 50kgs, Jagga Smith, kicked 4 goals in a close game. Very quick and elusive and great skills, suspect he will be on everyone radar in a few years.

How did Darcy's mobility and speed look? One knock on him has been his athleticism.

Last edited:
How did Darcy's mobility and speed look? One knock on him as been his athleticism.

as the poster that you quoted said, he moves like a King Brother, i dont know if his testing is in the same league as theirs but on field he looks similar to them. maybe not their speed would be the difference i guess?.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back