Draft Expert Davo-27's 2022 u18 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Davo-27 Hey Mate - Your thoughts on Will Elliott?
seen a couple games now and he hasnt really stood out for Oakleigh, ruckman size that plays forward, has not taken a heap of marks or kicked many goals, just looking up his stats now and he took 3 marks and kicked 2 goals in 2 games, played most of those games and im assuming he got dropped or possibly injured?, but mostly looked slow to react and unimpressive in general, maybe could come back and show something later in the year? but from what i did see i dont hold much hope for him being drafted, but maybe he was playing with an injury? who knows? theres always time for him to redeem himself if he has what it takes?

Last edited:
I know the SANFL site has Adam D'Alioa down as 181cm 80kg but I don't think that's been updated for a while.

The SANFL's Zac Millbank has him at 186cm 86kg in an article he posted on the SANFL on March 24.and looking at him play that looks about right?

Also has Phillipou at 191cm now and Keeler at 198cm now.?

Don't rate Glenelg's Jakob Ryan?

my list has a East Coast bias atm as i have not seen much of SA/WA so far this season, most of my opinions of them are from u17's and u19's performances and finals last year, over the next couple of months and after championships i will have a better understanding of the SA and WA talent.

Jakob Ryan i think is a chance to be drafted from what i saw of him last year, but he isnt in my top 50 atm.

i have not seen him play as yet, i will check out the SA/WA guys that did not play u17 or u19 champs later in the year, stats arent everything, i generally see if i like how they play which is more important and then i check stats sometimes.

theres so many i like this year, i agree with what you're saying, i just think the depth this year is good and a lot will boil down to combine tests and interviews and a few that should go top 30 or so will slide a bit, this is where i have them until the championships, by then there will be more games to see how they go, trials and champs games to get a clearer picture of how they can transfer their skills to the AFL.

i came up with a formula to judge talent but i didnt get all the information yet and i might need to tweak the formula, its rough, but its something like #/5(potential) x #/3(performance) x #(impact points per game on average) = # value, for KPP/Rucks they need 1.5x multiplier to impact points because they play a more vital role structurally and get involved in less plays in general, if i can get it right and it works i can use it every season, its just an idea, atm im basing it on impact and an idea of potential.
I like it. May need some tweaking, however could come in very useful. Definitely need to add something for kpp especially contested marking fwd of centre.

seen a couple games now and he hasnt really stood out for Oakleigh, ruckman size that plays forward, has not taken a heap of marks or kicked many goals, just looking up his stats now and he took 3 marks and kicked 2 goals in 2 games, played most of those games and im assuming he got dropped or possibly injured?, but mostly looked slow to react and unimpressive in general, maybe could come back and show something later in the year? but from what i did see i dont hold much hope for him being drafted, but maybe he was playing with an injury? who knows? theres always time for him to redeem himself if he has what it takes?
He is already in the vic metro squad. I haven’t been impressed by what I have seen either. Very lightly built though.

I know the SANFL site has Adam D'Alioa down as 181cm 80kg but I don't think that's been updated for a while.

The SANFL's Zac Millbank has him at 186cm 86kg in an article he posted on the SANFL on March 24.and looking at him play that looks about right?

Also has Phillipou at 191cm now and Keeler at 198cm now.?

Don't rate Glenelg's Jakob Ryan?
D’Aloia looks 181cm to me and I believe it’s correct, Phillipou 192cm.

Millbank had him at 184cm 84kg last year in May 21....And in March 22 186cm 86kg.

Surely Zac Millbank would have access to his measurements wouldn't he?

He would but he doesn’t look bigger than other 180cm mids he has lined up on. A handful of players expected to play senior level have measurements from their club which include K.Ryan at 183cm, Sadler at 179cm Lemmey at 199cm and Barnett at 202cm

He would but he doesn’t look bigger than other 180cm mids he has lined up on. A handful of players expected to play senior level have measurements from their club which include K.Ryan at 183cm, Sadler at 179cm Lemmey at 199cm and Barnett at 202cm
How tall is Max Michalanney?

I guess we'll find out at the Combine or maybe the Nationals?

011A1099.jpg

Thoughts on some tassie boys?
Davo-27

Seth Campbell and Lachlan Cowan?

There's a couple more but not sure how closely you've watched Tassie games, so i'll just mention the main two.

Thoughts on some tassie boys?
Davo-27

Seth Campbell and Lachlan Cowan?

There's a couple more but not sure how closely you've watched Tassie games, so i'll just mention the main two.

i have been mentioning them for about a year now.

Lachlan Cowan is a running half back who looked fantastic as an underager last year and has had an amazing year so far for Tassie averaging over 30 disposals, his run off of half back and his raking kicks forward have been great, good height as well and should go 1st round if he keeps up his form

Seth Campbell is a highly skilled half forward, last year he stood out and at times looked like he was playing at a higher level than those around him, again this year he has had moments where he looks too good for NAB League footy, he is averaging around 20 disposals and 2 goals before his 30-odd disposal 6 goal haul against a weaker opponent as Private school footy is happening atm, but still a great effort.

i have been mentioning them for about a year now.

Lachlan Cowan is a running half back who looked fantastic as an underager last year and has had an amazing year so far for Tassie averaging over 30 disposals, his run off of half back and his raking kicks forward have been great, good height as well and should go 1st round if he keeps up his form

Seth Campbell is a highly skilled half forward, last year he stood out and at times looked like he was playing at a higher level than those around him, again this year he has had moments where he looks too good for NAB League footy, he is averaging around 20 disposals and 2 goals before his 30-odd disposal 6 goal haul against a weaker opponent as Private school footy is happening atm, but still a great effort.
Yeah, cheers. I went to school with Seth, played with him for a bunch of my underage footy so far and played against Lachie for alot of underage footy, and some underage cricket.

Good to see both going well, Seth is a genuine gun, his ceiling is ridiculous.

Cowan was always a mid as most good players were at underage level, played forward, back as both a third tall and key.

Really good mark, great kick and loves to run which all are great attributes as you've mentioned.

I reckon if Seth get's confidence rolling which he is a very confident player, he'll probably get into the 2nd round, can play so many positions too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Top 50 Rankings - update

1. George Wardlaw - Oak - 182cm
2. Will Ashcroft - Sand - 180cm (Bris F/S?)
3. Elijah Tsatas - Oak - 188cm
4. Elijah Hewett - Swan Dist - 186cm
5. Harry Lemmey - West Adel - 199cm
6. Harry Sheezel - Sand - 184cm
7. Adam D'Aloia - WWT - 181cm
8. Olivier Northam - Geel - 195cm
9. Aaron Cadman - GWV - 194cm
10. Jedd Busslinger - East Perth - 197cm
11. Jackson Broadbent - Peel - 201cm
12. Jhye Clark - Geel - 180cm
13. Kobe Ryan - West Adel - 183cm
14. Lachlan Cowan - Tas - 188cm
15. Anthony Munkara - West Adel - 190cm (Ess NGA?)
16. Tom Scully - West Adel - 204cm (i still need to see him produce against better opponents)
17. Mitch Szybkowski - Dand - 186cm
18. Brayden George - Murr - 185cm
19. Isaac Keeler - Nth Adel - 197cm (Adel NGA?)
20. Oliver Hollands - Murr - 183cm
21. Matthew Jefferson - Oak - 195cm
22. Kane Bevan - West Perth - 192cm
23. Taj Campbell-Farrell - Dand - 185cm
24. Jaspa Fletcher - Bris A - 184cm (Bris F/S +A)
25. Max Clohesy - Murr - 179cm
26. Ted Clohesy - Geel - 182cm (Geel NGA?)
27. Luke Teal - Oak - 191cm
28. Charlie Clarke - Sand - 182cm
29. Josh Weddle - Oak - 192cm
30. Max Michaelanny - Norw - 190cm (Adel F/S?)
31. Lewis Hayes - East - 197cm
32. Seth Campbell - Tas - 182cm
33. Al Davey Jnr - Oak - 181cm (Ess F/S)
34. Jed Hagan - East Frem - 175cm
35. Jaxon Binns - Dand - 182cm
36. Bailey Humphrey - Gipps - 184cm
37. Jonti Schuback - Gipps - 183cm
38. Rye Penny - Cald - 185cm
39. Luke Lawrence - GWS A - 183cm (GWS A)
40. Henry Hustwaite - Dand - 194cm
41. James Van Es - GWV - 196cm
42. Josh Bennetts - East - 178cm
43. Coby Burgiel - Gipps - 183cm
44. Sam Gilbey - Clare - 188cm
45. Noah Long - Bend - 178cm
46. Jack O'Sullivan - Oak - 179cm
47. Blake Drury - Oak - 178cm
48. Cam MacKenzie - Sand - 187cm (St K NGA?)
49. Brady Wright - GWV - 190cm
50. Darcy Jones - Swan Dist - 175cm

its a strong top 50 imo, theres probably another 10 or so i like as well, i might add another 10 players to the list as a bonus i guess?

51. Harvey Howe - Gipps - 201cm
52. Nick Madden - GWS A - 204cm (GWS A)
53. Cooper Harvey - North - 180cm (North F/S)
54. Mattaes Phillipou - WWT - 188cm
55. Jason Gilbee - Bend - 191cm
56. Ben McCarthy - Bris A - 185cm (Bris A)
57. Harry Rowston - GWS A - 180cm (GWS A)
58. Paul Pascu - Cald - 183cm
59. Luke Michael - West Perth - 186cm
60. Jack Cleaver - East Frem - 188cm

Just a coupla questions on some WA boys. I feel the Vic boys this year have played more footy and are more noticed. Maybe that happens every year.
In specifically - what are your thoughts on these boys?
Josh Draper? Big wraps last year but seems to have fallen off the radar. I’ve watched him twice though and he has been a little disappointing. But lovely looking athlete and I reckon he can get it together and move into contention
Chase Bourne- both boys Freo NGA. Played league in pre-season. Great game last week.
Sam Gilbey- has he been played recently? Haven’t heard a peep about him? Maybe he’s injured.
Jack Cleaver- I think will go much higher. Was out for all of these months last year with a bad break to his ankle they say but back to his consistent best. Good size.

Just a coupla questions on some WA boys. I feel the Vic boys this year have played more footy and are more noticed. Maybe that happens every year.
In specifically - what are your thoughts on these boys?
Josh Draper? Big wraps last year but seems to have fallen off the radar. I’ve watched him twice though and he has been a little disappointing. But lovely looking athlete and I reckon he can get it together and move into contention
Chase Bourne- both boys Freo NGA. Played league in pre-season. Great game last week.
Sam Gilbey- has he been played recently? Haven’t heard a peep about him? Maybe he’s injured.
Jack Cleaver- I think will go much higher. Was out for all of these months last year with a bad break to his ankle they say but back to his consistent best. Good size.

most of my rankings are East Coast biased as i have said before, i will get more info on SA and WA in the coming months and during the champs ect, most of my thoughts on these players come from u17 and u19 champs and the finals series last year, i dont know much about Josh Draper, Chase Bourne i have not been a huge fan of in the few games i have seen of him so i need to see more examples of his play, although he does seem to be getting opportunities others arent so some recruiters must be pushing to see how he performs or his club really believes he will make it so i need to see more of his game to make a judgement, Sam Gilbey was great last year as a half back in the u17s but struggled a little at the u19s games against SA, i dont know whats happening with him atm, Jack Cleaver i had quite high, but i feel he is high impact, low poss and so i have slowly dropped him down my rankings, but depending on his champs he could rise potentially

i had a bit of time to kill so i looked at how many young players got drafted each year (ND+RD)in the last 5 years and from where

2017 - SA (12), WA (17), TAS (1), NSW (1), QLD/NT (6), VM (27), VC (24) - Overall = 88
2018 - SA (19), WA (11), TAS (3), NSW (2), QLD/NT (4), VM (25), VC (22) - Overall = 86
2019 - SA (13), WA (17), TAS (1), NSW (0), QLD/NT (7), VM (22), VC (18) - Overall = 78
2020 - SA (19), WA (11), TAS (2), NSW (2), QLD/NT (4), VM (19), VC (14) - Overall = 71
2021 - SA (13), WA (17), TAS (1), NSW (1), QLD/NT (1), VM (23), VC (15) - Overall = 71

the covid numbers were trending down, because of the lack of footy for underagers and the drop in AFL playing spots

the SA and WA numbers are kinda funny its like every year they go up and down in a very similar pattern.

interesting to see only 70-80 youngsters get drafted each year, the rest are rookie upgrades, players given 2nd chances by other clubs OR the 10-20 mature aged players.

BF Midseason Phantom Draft happened last week, it seems a few are going under the radar like Ted Clohesy, Josh Weddle and Jaxon Binns, but this happens every year, there are a few hard luck stories of players just missing out, if you want to see the finished product i have included the link to the thread

Mattaes Phillipou (188 cm), parents claim him to be 193 cm, I think more likely nearly close to 191 cm. Only 17 y.o. won't be 18 till 27/12/2022.

BF Midseason Phantom Draft happened last week, it seems a few are going under the radar like Ted Clohesy, Josh Weddle and Jaxon Binns, but this happens every year, there are a few hard luck stories of players just missing out, if you want to see the finished product i have included the link to the thread

If you could go ahead and keep young Ted under the radar that would be great. 40+ range please 🙏

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back