Draft Expert Davo-27's 2022 u18 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched some vision on Smith as I hadnt seen much of him. I like his speed and ability to break lines. He looks most damaging when he's a 50m player. Could be bigger meterage if he improves his kicking. He doesnt seem to have a lot of power out of congestion but there is a bit to work with IMO. HB are all the rage atm, particularly the ones that have speed and power.
He reminds me a lot of Isaac Smith when he was playing for Nth Ballarat in the vfl in 2010, he should be on a wing like Isaac, will suit his skill set better I think.

I've only seen a small sample size of Kaleb Smith, but he is impressive with his long striding quick movement, composure and natural line breaking ability, the only difference with Isaac is that he has a great ability to kick goals from range on the regular, whereas I'm not sure on Kalebs goal kicking ability.

But I find him an exciting prospect that doesn't get much hype, similar to how we got Isaac Smith at pick 19 when I rated him very highly prior to his draft, when he came from nowhere as a skinny 21 yr old from the bush league to play for Nth Ballarat and be a sensation by the end of that vfl year.

Last edited:
He reminds me a lot of Isaac Smith when he was playing for Nth Ballarat in the vfl in 2010, he should be on a wing like Isaac, will suit his skill set better I think.

I've only seen a small sample size of Kaleb Smith, but he is impressive with his long striding quick movement, composure and natural line breaking ability, the only difference with Isaac is that he has a great ability to kick goals from range on the regular, whereas I'm not sure on Kalebs goal kicking ability.

But I find him an exciting prospect that doesn't get much hype, similar to how we got Isaac Smith at pick 19 when I rated him very highly prior to his draft, when he came from nowhere as a skinny 21 yr old from the bush league to play for Nth Ballarat and be a sensation by the end of that vfl year.
The only thing i would question is the level of competition. WAFL Colts is not the strongest of comps, so would he do the same things in the NAB League. I dont recall Smith playing in the championships but I could be wrong.

The only thing i would question is the level of competition. WAFL Colts is not the strongest of comps, so would he do the same things in the NAB League. I dont recall Smith playing in the championships but I could be wrong.
Smith never even played TAC Cup as it was back then he played local footy here in Ballarat (Redan FC) in the Ballarat Football League while studying at Ballarat Uni before playing for both Redan in the BFL and the North Ballarat Roosters in the VFL the year he was drafted.

Smith never even played TAC Cup as it was back then he played local footy here in Ballarat (Redan FC) in the Ballarat Football League while studying at Ballarat Uni before playing for both Redan in the BFL and the North Ballarat Roosters in the VFL the year he was drafted.

He meant Kaleb Smith and no he didn't play champs footy, which is why he has not had much hype and could be a bolter.

Last year the wafl colts gf produced great performances from Sheldrick, first Rd last yr, Hewett, likely 1st Rd this yr, Jones, likely 1st or 2nd Rd this year, Tholstrup, potential top 10 next yr and Hardeman, a potential 1st rder next yr, then this yr colts gf, Clay Hall and Mitch Edwards as well as Deian Roberts for 2024 starred, wafl colts is as good as the sanfl u18.

Last edited:
I didn't read your opening post. but knightmare doesn't pretend that he has inside sources does he? But how is it any different to draft sliders that happen in every draft? He's not privy to the interviews of the draftees where they say something that puts clubs off etc. Last year Cal Twomey predicted Blake Howes to go at #19. He went at #39. And that's someone who is actually fed truckloads of information from every single player manager. So it shouldn't surprise anyone if a guy like Knightmare expects someone to go early but slides unexpectedly.

Now another link from Cal Twomey. He had Weideman, Schache, Aaron Francis, Wayne Milera and Matthew Kennedy before Clayton Oliver. He also had Balic (rip) at #12 who went at #38.

2015 draft: Final phantom form guide update

So I personally think your expectations of knightmare are way too high. But furthermore I think that rate too high the actually full time afl recruiters who get it wrong a lot of the time.

In the first round, about 50% are busts. This is over about 10 years of data.

Bang on for the top 10. He's typically very good in that range

He meant Kaleb Smith and no he didn't play champs footy, which is why he has not had much hype and could be a bolter.

Last year the wafl colts gf produced great performances from Sheldrick, first Rd last yr, Hewett, likely 1st Rd this yr, Jones, likely 1st or 2nd Rd this year, Tholstrup, potential top 10 next yr and Hardeman, a potential 1st rder next yr, then this yr colts gf, Clay Hall and Mitch Edwards as well as Deian Roberts for 2024 starred, wafl colts is as good as the sanfl u18.
That was off the top of my head those wafl performers, but I looked up the teams for this year's wafl colts gf and I forgot to mention Reece Torrent who looks great for next year as well, I wanted to add him to those that were good performers in wafl colts gf teams and likely earlish draftees imo.

Hey Davo-27 i know I raised jonti schuback a while ago when I saw a few games. I just watched his highlights again and I was impressed with his run and especially his weighted kicking looks top draw. I know you weren’t that fussed is that still the case I think he would be a good add with a late pick
Jonti Schuback is a good player in a position that we are stacked with talent in, CJ, Day, Hardwick, Impey, Scrimshaw, Bramble, Morris and even O'Hara, all those guys have to fit into 3 maybe 4 spots in our team, then you have the potential of Vickery being added as an NGA as well, what are we going to do with all these hbfs?

Jonti Schuback is a good player in a position that we are stacked with talent in, CJ, Day, Hardwick, Impey, Scrimshaw, Bramble, Morris and even O'Hara, all those guys have to fit into 3 maybe 4 spots in our team, then you have the potential of Vickery being added as an NGA as well, what are we going to do with all these hbfs?
Understand I think day pushes upfield. CJ Hardwick and Scrimshaw are the locks. Morris I’m hopeful. Impey I’m not sure he gets back to his best. Bramble I think is soft jury out for me. Ohara at least 2 seasons away from senior opp IMO. Also could schuback play wing?

7 VM players in the 1st round
5 VC players in the 1st round
5 WA players in the 1st round
2 SA players in the 1st round
1 QLD player in the 1st round
1 NSW player in the 1st round

1st 10 for the 2nd round could be

Lewis Hayes
Olli Hotton
Brayden George
Lachlan Cowan
Harry Barnett
Charlie Clarke
Kaleb Smith
Cody Burgiel
Isaac Keeler
Jakob Ryan
(Al Davey Jnr bid)

Last edited:
I hope a club takes a chance on Sam Gilbey tonight.

I know he isn't in a position to give much in 2023 due to injury but fingers crossed by 2024 and with a serious weights program he will be ready.

In that colts game at Lathlain Park v Perth, where he went for the hang and broke his leg on landing, he was dominating.

Playing as well as I've ever seen him.

Such a shame for him.

Last edited:
7 VM players in the 1st round
5 VC players in the 1st round
5 WA players in the 1st round
2 SA players in the 1st round
1 QLD player in the 1st round
1 NSW player in the 1st round

1st 10 for the 2nd round could be

Lewis Hayes
Olli Hotton
Brayden George
Lachlan Cowan
Harry Barnett
Charlie Clarke
Kaleb Smith
Cody Burgiel
Isaac Keeler
Jakob Ryan
(Al Davey Jnr bid)
Kane Bevan....add to the list

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another ND done.

Thanks for YET another year of draft discussion Davo-27.

Look forward to seeing your 2023 thread (which I've commented on) be littered with 2024 names and some 2025 names.

Note: briztoon's already got 2026 off to a rollicking start with Harrison Bridge.

A few players I thought had a good chance to be drafted, but might miss out entirely?

Mitch Szybkowski
Jed Hagan
Adam D'Aloia
Jaiden Magor
Luke Teal
Brandon Leary
Jonti Schuback
Sam Gilbey
Shadeau Brain
Blake Drury
Im surprised Drury and Hagan didn't get selected, both capable of being on a AFL list. Hopefully they can get a rookie spot today. If not for all these boys have a tough decision to decide whether they play SANFL, WAFL or VFL. All leagues have benefits.

A few players I thought had a good chance to be drafted, but might miss out entirely?

Mitch Szybkowski
Jed Hagan
Adam D'Aloia
Jaiden Magor
Luke Teal
Brandon Leary
Jonti Schuback
Sam Gilbey
Shadeau Brain
Blake Drury
Seems like some players might get to train pre season with some AFL clubs for an opportunity to join a list or play state league for a 2nd chance

I wonder if it was a lack of athleticism, poor interviews, height, speed, injury or clubs being uncertain of their position at the next level that held them back from being picked up?

Mitch Szybkowski and Adam D'Aloia might lack the athleticism clubs are looking for?
Jed Hagan might lack height and a clear position?
Luke Teal and Sam Gilbey might be an injury concern?
Jonti Schuback might be his inconsistent form?
Brandon Leary not sure what it could be, maybe a mix of being Tasmanian, 19 and height?

All 7 are unlucky to not get drafted imo, I expect at least a couple to get PSS listed or MSD next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back