Draft Expert Davo-27's 2024 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

What are your thoughts on the Cat B list? Naim seemed like a perfect situation for us. No Cat B rookies at Tulla, a position we could use troops in and seemed to have some tricks.

Cat B lists, i think they cant play AFL, but i think only half the contract is counted in salary cap or something like that?(i think?), so if you have an NGA or OS player, it can be useful for salary cap management and also for types that need full seasons in the state league before potentially given a shot at the next level.

if i was on the Essendon Recruiting team i would have considered it strongly if he had a good interview ect, but i believe he is at the VFL team so they still get to see him first hand if he makes progress.

Last edited:
Cat B lists, i think they cant play AFL, but i think only half the contract is counted in salary cap or something like that?(i think?), so if you have an NGA or OS player, it can be useful for salary cap management and also for types that need full seasons in the state league before potentially given a shot at the next level.

if i was on the Essendon Recruiting team i would have considered it strongly if he had a good interview ect, but i believe he is at the VFL team so they still get to see him first hand if he makes progress.
I don't think the "they cant play AFL" is a thing anymore. Pies had multiple Cat B players that never needed to be promoted to the senior list to play.
Tom Wilson being our most recent.
Mark Keane
Jack Madgen

I feel like that rule changed a few years back.

I watched oakleigh get beat convincingly again. When they learn to play like a team they will be hard to beat. But they would have to be the most selfish team I have ever seen.

I watched oakleigh get beat convincingly again. When they learn to play like a team they will be hard to beat. But they would have to be the most selfish team I have ever seen.
Also watched Sandy v Oakleigh today. Sandy won easily, but what caught my attention the most is how bad Oakleigh is, just a total rabble. Went and listened to 1/4 and 3/4 time huddles to see what was what and I’m convinced that the Oakleigh coaches are plain awful and haven’t instilled anything slightly resembling a game plan or strategy so when things start to fall apart they have nothing to fall back on. Last week it was attack the corridor, this week it kick it long and by the looks on some of the players faces and the end results I would guess neither has been trained. Self preservation already evident. I know one of the families of a kid at OC and they are furious.
It’s probably gotten to the point already that AFL Vic intervene and clean the place up as some kids are going to see their dreams fade away due to incompetent management

Also watched Sandy v Oakleigh today. Sandy won easily, but what caught my attention the most is how bad Oakleigh is, just a total rabble. Went and listened to 1/4 and 3/4 time huddles to see what was what and I’m convinced that the Oakleigh coaches are plain awful and haven’t instilled anything slightly resembling a game plan or strategy so when things start to fall apart they have nothing to fall back on. Last week it was attack the corridor, this week it kick it long and by the looks on some of the players faces and the end results I would guess neither has been trained. Self preservation already evident. I know one of the families of a kid at OC and they are furious.
It’s probably gotten to the point already that AFL Vic intervene and clean the place up as some kids are going to see their dreams fade away due to incompetent management
Well said. It’s a repeat of 2023. Hopefully they fix it quicker than what they did last year otherwise the kids will be the ones that have their dreams destroyed. But they also need to teach the boys that playing as a team will benefit many in the long run. Too many boys prefer to have high stats unfortunately.

Well said. It’s a repeat of 2023. Hopefully they fix it quicker than what they did last year otherwise the kids will be the ones that have their dreams destroyed. But they also need to teach the boys that playing as a team will benefit many in the long run. Too many boys prefer to have high stats unfortunately.
I know last year they had the coach leave for GWS a week before rd1. The next coach got sacked for something or other unrelated to actual coaching mid season then Tarkyn Lockyer had to take over for last part of the season. Hardly a settled environment.
Not sure who the new guy is but from my brief viewing of him past 2 weeks he is no good and needs to be removed. IMO the selfish nature of their play is a direct result of the terrible coaching. Their results reflect this.

Also last year they completely changed up the team during the mid year school holidays. They bought in Pat Retschko, Charlie Richardson and a couple of 19yr olds and the structure improved instantly and they setup for it.
To be honest, it was quite sad watching them today. If they were a suburban club the coach would be gone by Monday night.

comparing this Oakleigh to the Rowell and Anderson Oakleigh theres a few issues

1. kicking skills dont seem to be as good within the squad

2. they dont have a clear game plan

3. Rowell and Anderson were selfish, but they got results, whereas the 2024 Oakleigh are selfish and not getting results

4. there doesnt seem to be many KPP who are playing their important roles at Oakleigh this year either which delays i50s on attack and encourages opponents to kick i50 on miss matches

3. Rowell and Anderson were selfish, but they got results, whereas the 2024 Oakleigh are selfish and not getting results

4. there doesnt seem to be many KPP who are playing their important roles at Oakleigh this year either which delays i50s on attack and encourages opponents to kick i50 on miss matches
1. Skills are awful. Including last week the amount of missed kicks especially going F50 is mind boggling.
2. Refer my previous post. No game plan at all. Poor coaching.
3. Selfish to start, felt it was more self preservation by the end. Long dump kicks rather than picking clear option.
4. Oakleigh aren’t tall forward. But they have some good mobility. First qtr no 8 Charlie Richardson took a great mark on the lead under heaps of pressure. Was the only time I saw that happen all game, the rest were long high bombs. Way too slow. Saw plenty of moving options get torched by the kicker or really bad kicks coming in.

I was there at the oakleigh game, and I'm not sure its that they are selfish; thats the least of their issues.

Skills for sure. Game plan, poor defending. When sandy streamed forward, there was players being unaccounted for. To leave players on their own was a disgrace. Not sure what it was. Disorganised?

Felt they could use some talls at either end. There just seemed to be no tall targets.

One more week, and lot of these players will be at APS, so be interesting how oakleigh handles that.

One thing I was told by my friend was that Oakleigh's training arrangements in preseason were not great.

They trained at 3 different venues, never in footy boots and (if this is true its bordering on disturbing) the last 4 weeks at Trinity Grammar were on a soccer pitch with 80 odd kids. I didn't believe my friend but they were adamant it was true. Described it as like watching 15 v 15 basketball.

One thing I was told by my friend was that Oakleigh's training arrangements in preseason were not great.

They trained at 3 different venues, never in footy boots and (if this is true its bordering on disturbing) the last 4 weeks at Trinity Grammar were on a soccer pitch with 80 odd kids. I didn't believe my friend but they were adamant it was true. Described it as like watching 15 v 15 basketball.
I'm not sure when they started training tbh, couldn't have been more than a month before he season started. The Pies NGA boys (Kerr, McCarthy, Quaynor) spent basically all pre-season until mid feb with the pies VFL.

Just when I thought they were gonna start pre-season with the chargers, I was told by Kerr -- They got allowed to continue training with the VFL until they were ready for them to come back..

I was there at the oakleigh game, and I'm not sure its that they are selfish; thats the least of their issues.

Skills for sure. Game plan, poor defending. When sandy streamed forward, there was players being unaccounted for. To leave players on their own was a disgrace. Not sure what it was. Disorganised?

Felt they could use some talls at either end. There just seemed to be no tall targets.

One more week, and lot of these players will be at APS, so be interesting how oakleigh handles that.
Jen, you mention lack of talls which is clearly evident so why does the coach at 3/4 time insist on kicking in long? Coaching 101 is working with what you have and developing a plan around that. This is clearly not happening.
However it is amazing that Oakleigh couldn't find a few 195cm players throughout the YJFL.
Do you know who their coach is?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jen, you mention lack of talls which is clearly evident so why does the coach at 3/4 time insist on kicking in long? Coaching 101 is working with what you have and developing a plan around that. This is clearly not happening.
However it is amazing that Oakleigh couldn't find a few 195cm players throughout the YJFL.
Do you know who their coach is?
Oh I know.
Ash Close, used to work/play for the pies.
Where did he coach beforehand?

I agree, kicking it long when you have no tall targets is useless. Don't even know what the heck they are thinking telling them to do that. Surely, more logical to lower your eyes and look for better targets inside 50.

Never heard of him. Quick google search and he coached Eastern girls 18’s last year. Surely they could have found someone better credentialed than that for a program as big as Oakleigh. By results and performance so far he was a poor choice.

Never heard of him. Quick google search and he coached Eastern girls 18’s last year. Surely they could have found someone better credentialed than that for a program as big as Oakleigh. By results and performance so far he was a poor choice.
Yeah, while its early days; things aren't looking great. I'd suggest if things keep on going on like this and not getting results, it'll be a one season and done. Wouldn't have thought they would replace him before the season is out. Last week wasn't pleasant either, but at least they could score -- just not accurately. Today they struggled to even do that. 1.6 for like 2 quarters.

Yeah, while its early days; things aren't looking great. I'd suggest if things keep on going on like this and not getting results, it'll be a one season and done. Wouldn't have thought they would replace him before the season is out. Last week wasn't pleasant either, but at least they could score -- just not accurately. Today they struggled to even do that. 1.6 for like 2 quarters.
Not a big fan of sacking coaches but to leave a coach in place running a program as bad as this is going to cost kids a chance of getting drafted. Can’t say I’ve seen one kid enhance his status this far. Even the big 3 of Jagga, Finn and Tom have been way down on last year.

Not a big fan of sacking coaches but to leave a coach in place running a program as bad as this is going to cost kids a chance of getting drafted. Can’t say I’ve seen one kid enhance his status this far. Even the big 3 of Jagga, Finn and Tom have been way down on last year.
Sounds very familiar to last year and they only ended up getting 3 drafted.
One was a father son. One was an academy. Only one drafted had no association with any club. And if they’re not careful the same thing will happen again this year.

I’d say selfishness is also not playing your role. When Davenport and Jy Bond left last year the place lost all its structure. Davenport’and Bonds philosophy was to get as many kids drafted as possible. When they left the new regime was all about promoting the bottom agers and unfortunately that resulted in developing a selfish culture and that looks to have continued this year sadly.

Sounds very familiar to last year and they only ended up getting 3 drafted.
One was a father son. One was an academy. Only one drafted had no association with any club. And if they’re not careful the same thing will happen again this year.

I’d say selfishness is also not playing your role. When Davenport and Jy Bond left last year the place lost all its structure. Davenport’and Bonds philosophy was to get as many kids drafted as possible. When they left the new regime was all about promoting the bottom agers and unfortunately that resulted in developing a selfish culture and that looks to have continued this year sadly.
By what you write the problem isn’t just the coach but also the talent manager. They got some serious issues to sort out and it’s probably something only AFL Vic could do.

Oh heaven forbid Malvern's favourite club Oakleigh chargers aren't doing well we better set up a royal commission then.

Isn't it good to see some other teams doing well?

The parents aren't happy? Give us a spell there are 18 teams in the nab league.
I think you have missed the point r_boy. It’s not about results at Coates League, it’s about giving the boys the best opportunity to get drafted. From my perspective the program has huge problems as the team is playing really bad footy compared to Eastern and Sandy and jeopardising these kids futures.

Oh heaven forbid Malvern's favourite club Oakleigh chargers aren't doing well we better set up a royal commission then.

Isn't it good to see some other teams doing well?

The parents aren't happy? Give us a spell there are 18 teams in the nab league.
And just for future reference, Malvern falls under Sandy Dragons😉

I think you have missed the point r_boy. It’s not about results at Coates League, it’s about giving the boys the best opportunity to get drafted. From my perspective the program has huge problems as the team is playing really bad footy compared to Eastern and Sandy and jeopardising these kids futures.
It’s gonna be a long and tough year for the Chargers.

Sandringham v Oakleigh (103-51) *=2025 draft

the game that caused a few in the draft threads to claim the doom of Oakleigh lol, very similar to the pre-season game and a similar scoreline, not having Gross and O'Sullivan in the team and Retschko having the worst game i've seen from him in awhile made it a near impossible task to defeat Sandringham, with Taj Hotton in rare form, Levi getting back to his best and Ludowyke kicking 3 on debut i believe.

Sandringham
Taj Hotton 20 - 4 goals
Levi Ashcroft 17 - 1 goal
Murphy Reid 14 - 1 goal
Sam Marshall 10
Luke Trainor 9
Josh Dolan 9 - 1 goal
Nathan Sulzberger 8
*Archie Ludowyke 7 - 3 goals
Bailey McKanzie 7 - 2 goals
Mitch Kirkwood-Scott 7 - 1 goal
Adrian Cole 6
Harrison Oliver 6
Ned Maginness 6 (19)
Zach Travers 6
Charlie Rozenes 6 - 1 goal
Sam Buck 5
Sam Linder 5

Oakleigh
Thomas Wenzel 12
Jagga Smith 9
Doug Kerr 8
Kobe Askew 8 - 3 goals
Zane Cochrane 8
Jasper Alger 7 - 2 goals
*Sam Grij 7
Kane Emery 6

i probably wont add the other games analysis, but i might update my rankings after i catch up on all the games this round in a few days.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back