Player Watch Dayne Beams (Retired 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
At Moment is nothing then a Media Rumor. Better then Social Media Rumor but have to get Confirmation from Player and Club before we know it's really on or not

OK, fair enough, but I have another gripe against Beamsy.

I was a baby moderator when he left us, and was toying with our collective emotions for days. 76woodenspooners and I spent hours and hours over many days and even weeks deleting abusive posts, banning abusive posters, getting rid of trolls (visiting Brisbane fans and maybe even a Brisbane mod:straining:). Then the idiot coach of the day - Leppa - let loose on social media and on it went. Was a horrible time.
It was my favourite time on this board (aside from the black and white game day threads) :D

Speaks to me that he has fear of missing out on possible Flag.

The fact he wants to ditch Brisbane suggests to me that he hasn't grown up at all. Looks selfish to me.

Fair enough everyone sees it differently.

You don't think Brisbane knew about this before his speech at the Lions B & F?

Reckon they all new, hence the aggressive attitude towards neale. Beams saying he was staying keeps his value up there. Contracted and with his backflip brisbane now have the 'right' to demand overs

Fair enough everyone sees it differently.

You don't think Brisbane knew about this before his speech at the Lions B & F?

No I don't think so.

I think Brisbane would have been nervous before the B&F but felt assured after. They were very excited to promote his speech through their social media.

But I agree we can see things differently.

Even though I think it smells a bit selfish, I would never assume to really know his character. If I knew him personally I might realise that I have the completely wrong understanding of the bloke, based on a tiny amount of information through the media.
I'm only giving my gut feel from the cheap seats.

So on one side there is a mountain of evidence saying this is a pigment in the mind of Damo
1. contracted to bears until 20
2. statements at bears best and fairest
3. nothing for pies to trade
4. etc etc etc

On the other side, we have Damo's opinion.

so it's obvious that damo is right.

Very hard to see this getting done, they would want overs and we have an abundance of midfielders - not averse to welcoming him back just can't see it getting done.

To my mind Beams takes Thomas' spot so it makes sense to see if they want him. I have no idea what Thomas or either club think about that. If Brisbane offer a decent pay rise Thomas may well look at a return home. He can't be on a lot with us and we probably can't offer him much more.
We just gave him a three year deal so it will not happen

For 4 yrs Dayne Beams never said a word about Collingwood and then suddenly on 1 of the football shows he wanted to thank Collingwood for all they did for him.

3 months down the track and all the talk is Beams to Collingwood which is all well and good but not at the cost of either Langdon or Thomas who have been loyal players.

If we were to lose either of them it would only be to gain Steven May I could accept that but not for Beams.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OK, fair enough, but I have another gripe against Beamsy.

I was a baby moderator when he left us, and was toying with our collective emotions for days. 76woodenspooners and I spent hours and hours over many days and even weeks deleting abusive posts, banning abusive posters, getting rid of trolls (visiting Brisbane fans and maybe even a Brisbane mod:straining:). Then the idiot coach of the day - Leppa - let loose on social media and on it went. Was a horrible time.

Sounds like a familiar story, it wasn't all roses and peaches over this side of the fence either. Hopefully for both of our sanity we can avoid similar this time

He'll be 29 in February and has a history of missing long amounts of time through injury.

His best is great but I just don't like the fit with us at the moment. Adams has gone to another level this year and I don't want to see the growth of Sier stagnate.

The timing is all wrong IMO.

Very hard to see this getting done, they would want overs and we have an abundance of midfielders - not averse to welcoming him back just can't see it getting done.

yeah its going to be hard one to see resolved IMO. People point out the gibbs trade as the precedent, while conveniently ignoring the fact that Gibbs actually filled a need for the crows. Now if beams was an AA squad KPD it might be a different story but this strikes me as a classic case of him being worth more to us than you guys. Still as has been pointed out on the brisbane board, is it really best for us to keep a guy who is clearly struggling mentally living and playing footy in brisbane. Do we lose more intangibly by trying to keep him if we can't get a "win" at the trade table? I've been in Beams shoes in the last 2 years and its not a great spot, your emotions fluctuate a lot and sometimes you really feel like you need a circuit breaker just to make it feel better.

I'd welcome him back but I wouldn't want to give up anything of value. Beams is old now and realistically on his last legs as a top tier mid. Still plenty to offer though.

Funny how these things go.

I was laughing at people who told me this was happening mid-year. It looked even less likely after the now famous B&F speech.

Brisbane have every right to feel aggrieved. He's vital to them in an important time for that club. To us, he's a guy who can provide some extra midfield depth and is certainly not a required player, but a bit of icing on the cake.

I still don't know how we afford him in our apparently-tight cap and I figure he's going to take a decent shave on his salary to get back to Melbourne and play with a club that will have its eye on competing for a flag over the next few years.

I think Brisbane has improved greatly as a club since its days of Leppa and I can't see this trade attracting the same ridiculous headlines that made his move in 2014 so ridiculous.

The Bears are not going to like it, but I think what's fair and realistic from our standpoint is:

Whatever we get for Langdon + a future 2nd - most likely a pick in the 20 range and another pick in the 30 range.

He's still a quality footballer, but he's 29, has had a serious problem with injury, a degenerative knee and while it's fantastic he's nominated us, we don't need him. We can walk away from a deal at any time and none of us will lose sleep over it.

Brisbane, the same club who shouted to the heavens that we had to do the right thing by a kid who wanted to live with his dying father a few years ago, would be very aware that they need to do the right thing by a player who has been public with his mental demons in 2018 and even spoke about having suicidal thoughts, such was his unhappiness.

We can't give up pick 18 this year. Our priority has to be on clinching Quaynor, which I think pick 18 will do, while Will Kelly, another long-term need, will probably get done with a couple of third rounders.

While everyone would have thought we need a KP defender this week, I like the idea of improving our real strength (goal-kicking midfielders) and backing in a defensive end that took us to the GF and has reinforcements on the way.

He'll be 29 in February and has a history of missing long amounts of time through injury.

His best is great but I just don't like the fit with us at the moment. Adams has gone to another level this year and I don't want to see the growth of Sier stagnate.

The timing is all wrong IMO.
I say go for it if the club thinks we are in premiership window. and given we don't give up much to get him " see my previous posts re: Quaynor and Kelly " we essentially are paying a 3rd rounder and Langdon for him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back