Opinion Dear Luke - The Team I Want to see

Remove this Banner Ad

Here’s what I’d love to see at some stage in 2019 Luke.

FB: Wood Cordy Crozier
HB: JJ Naughton WillIams
C: Richards Macrae Hunter
HF: Mclean Schache Lynch
FF: Cavarra Boyd Greene
R: Trengove Bonti Libba
IC: Suckling, Dunkley, Daniel, Smith

These aren’t just random names on a list. Here’s the vibe:

1. Play 2 key defenders. Allow your premiership winning captain to play his role as a 3rd tall. Just an idea.

2. Crozier and Williams (yes - remember him?? The big bodied, medium defender who can intercept mark and use the ball??) as our 2 mediums.

3. JJ, Richards and suckling rotating through half back and wing.

4. Macrae, Bonti, Dunkley, Libba and smith as inside mids. No worries there. Mclean to rotate through.

5. Lynch and Greene to provide forward 50m speed. Greene’s a natural forward. Both beautiful kicks.

6. Strip 10kg off our million dollar man and get him to compete. He needs to watch mason cox and learn how valuable he can be. Great back up ruckman.

7. Cavarra. Yep, a legit small forward. Not a resting mid. A legit small. Novel idea isn’t it?

8. Trengove - I bloody love English. He’s going to be a beast. But let’s give our mids half a chance. Trengove won’t get rag dolled at the bounce, and competes hard on the deck.

No Wallis. No Hayes. No Lachie young. No gowers. No Dickson. No duryea.

Players with defined roles. More speed. More size.

Please don’t waste the rest of 2019 Luke.

Cheers
Fronk

That looks about right.

My personal preference is to select Webb or Lipinski ahead of Hunter as they are better uses of the ball. I’ve never liked Hunter as his disposal is child-like. He can’t even handball with his right hand let alone kick with his right.

I don’t think any leg speed is lost and better ball movement is always key and I don’t think and ‘squib-like’ tendencies would be lost as well.

I’d like to see a Flying V formation of JJ, Richards, Williams, Lynch, Suckling and maybe Webb at some stage (not all at the one time admittedly.)

It goes to show that there was no need to get Lloyd and Duryea. Dickson has been superseded by most. A waste of draft picks and salary.

Having a spine helps with the territorial game style and absorbing pressure. Imagine being able to kick to a tall target(s) from kick ins, get a stoppage or mark only to turn around and kick to another tall target or players with separation and have a reasonably open forward line for better entries and goal scoring opportunities.

It really is a simple game. A game in which you could tactically control and be flexible with.

sadly im not expecting anything under this coach. whatever made him special in 15/16 is gone, he has lost his aura. i got no confience he can develope KPP players. chop and change every week. he hasnt been able to rectify onfield issues as well as off field issues.

Don’t mind it but I’d play Wallis up forward over Greene. Think Wallis is handy up forward, just keep him up there though. And Daniel is our best short kick. Our delivery inside 50 is horrible. Idea - play him at half forward to deliver the ball inside 50m.

Can understand going for Greene over Wallis as I think Greene has a bit more leg speed than Wallis.
Wally isn't our worst forward having said that

1. Play 2 key defenders. Allow your premiership winning captain to play his role as a 3rd tall. Just an idea.

2. Crozier and Williams (yes - remember him?? The big bodied, medium defender who can intercept mark and use the ball??) as our 2 mediums.

4. Macrae, Bonti, Dunkley, Libba and smith as inside mids. No worries there. Mclean to rotate through.

5. Lynch and Greene to provide forward 50m speed. Greene’s a natural forward. Both beautiful kicks.

6. Strip 10kg off our million dollar man and get him to compete. He needs to watch mason cox and learn how valuable he can be. Great back up ruckman.

7. Cavarra. Yep, a legit small forward. Not a resting mid. A legit small. Novel idea isn’t it?

8. Trengove - I bloody love English. He’s going to be a beast. But let’s give our mids half a chance. Trengove won’t get rag dolled at the bounce, and competes hard on the deck.

Cheers
Fronk

Yes, yes, yes. Why can we see this and not the coach?

Good team. Only changes for me would Lloyd in for Smith. Really like Smith but want his first season managed. Let him play some VFL and learn to dominate games. I would give him blocks where he can gather 30 possessions in VFL for a month and then give him 4 AFL games. When he can consistently gather 20 plus possessions each week he stays. Has only got 20 possessions once and is averaging less than 14 possessions a game. Want one natural forward in Lloyd and he can play midfield also.

Would start Richards on HB and JJ on wing. Not sure about Dunkley ahead of Wallis. Think Wallis can match Dunkley inside but is a better fwd. they are both inside handballing mids. McLean to rotate midfield as,you suggested.

Unfortunately the team make sense and is well balanced therefore our genious coach would think it is to sensible and would not work. Let’s remember Bev is the smartest coach in the AFL, at least in his own mind.

I’d move Schache out, Naughton forward and Roberts to full back (with an eye on an upgrade on Roberts in the trade period).

I agree with basically everything else. More defined roles (especially forward), more speed, more size.

Naughton really is the one where debate will rage. I just think that it’s so much easier to find KPD later in the draft and we haven’t had a player in the forward line capable of taking marks like he can (basically ever).

So I would develop him as our number one forward, with another big body around him.

One thing that nobody talks about in these fantasy lists is cohesion. You could have a team of 22 Caleb Daniels’, or a team of 22 Tom Campbell’s if they trust each other, play to each others strengths you will at least be in with a shout.

Right now we are outnumbered in every area. The opponent has half a dozen kicking options and when we go forward we have none. Skill plays a part here, but anyone can find space if they run hard enough. That’s why it’s hard to drop blokes like Gowers. For all his faults, he at least presents an option.

I don’t know how you coach confidence and trust. It’s a fleeting concept that can come and go.

This is my major worry with Bevo. His narratives and his methodology could be inspiring when things are going well. I also think he’s capable of looking like a total crackpot when things begin to slide.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B: Zaine Cordy** Fletcher Roberts** Hayden Crozier
HB: Matthew Suckling**Aaron Naughton**Bailey Williams
C: Jason Johannisen**Jack Macrae**Brad Lynch
HF: Lukas Webb**Josh Schache**Bailey Dale
F: Ben Cavarra**Lewis Young**Easton Wood

Followers: Jordon Sweet**Marcus Bontempelli**Toby McLean

I/C: Sam Lloyd**Ed Richards**Lachie Hunter**Bailey Smith

They're fast and full of class,
They will do the jumper proud,
When Yojimbo's boys run out,
The Dogs fans will cheer really loud.

Then I woke up, it was all just a dream.

Someone will one day explain to me why they rate B Williams.

If we can get a 2nd rounder from the crows for him it would be daylight robbery
Did you see his form at the end of last year?

He’s quick, a good size and has a penetrating kick. This year he’s shown nothing and you’re well within your rights to be down on him.

I don’t get how you couldn’t see his potential last year though.

He showed way more than Greene or Lipinski who, hopefully you agree, have potential.

Someone will one day explain to me why they rate B Williams.

If we can get a 2nd rounder from the crows for him it would be daylight robbery

You won't agree with me but I'll give it a go. He had a great year last year. There was a point in the season where Williams was leading the club for intercept marks even though Wood was playing. His short kicking wasn't great but he knew that and played around it. His long kick was penetrating and accurate. He was fast enough to be considered a flanker but played the hard ball as well (averaged more contested possessions than any other of our defenders). Stats pro has him as elite in a bunch of categories but I know you don't care about stats so I'll not go any further into that.

In his first two games as a midfielder he was a big part of the North almost-win and the Geelong win, including kicking two goals each game. He was versatile; a flanker, a defender, an inside mid, a forward, probably an outside mid although I can't remember seeing that tried. But versatile in a way that didn't just mean he could be moved around, he played a hybrid role every game (a defensive flanker, a goal kicking mid) which added something new to the team. In a very up and down year he only had about three games I would say he wasn't playing at a very high level. I'm upselling him a little bit as we all do with players we like, and he's not playing anywhere near as well this year so it doesn't matter anymore but for a moment I thought Williams could become a Burgoyne-lite.

Cheers
Fronk
That looks like a good side. I'd like to see that too. I'm sure Cavarra will be a jet. Watched him a few times last year and he could kick well even with the wind battering through Williamstown.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back