Deliberate OOB

Remove this Banner Ad

A ripper today in Richmond vs Bulldogs where a doggies player cleared the ball from defense about 60 metres and it trickled over the line. Deliberate called. But the Geisch will be "comfortable" with it.

I burst into laughter.

the one against kerr was even worse

6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Kerr at least had an option to kick it inboard, although the option he took to grubber it up the line towards 2 teammates is certainly a legitimate one and not OOB. In Lonergan's case he had to reach over Priddis to spoil and given their position there was nowhere else for him to punch the ball than over the line.

I liked the way the rule was policed on the weekend. I believe that in recent weeks, the umpires have been letting a few go and this week they didn't.

I liked the way the rule was policed on the weekend. I believe that in recent weeks, the umpires have been letting a few go and this week they didn't.
If you a defender in a chase for the ball with your opponent in the back pocket near the boundary line, and you get to the ball a fraction of a second ahead of the forward, what should you do?

If you a defender in a chase for the ball with your opponent in the back pocket near the boundary line, and you get to the ball a fraction of a second ahead of the forward, what should you do?

Don't bother, that guys is a thinly-disguised troll who just defends everything the umpires do - he may actually be Jeff Gieschen himself.
As to your question, obviously you should slow down and let the forward take the ball and then it's their problem to avoid HTB or deliberate OOB. The AFL and umpires have long-ago stopped rewarding the player who is first to the ball, flying in the face of the game's history.

Tap the ball at the forward's feet in the hope that he'll kick it out on the full.

But that would probably now be called deliberate against you as well.

Tap the ball at the forward's feet in the hope that he'll kick it out on the full.

But that would probably now be called deliberate against you as well.
I just don't think it can be deliberate when the player could reasonably do the identical thing even if the boundary line was, say, twenty metres away.

I just don't think it can be deliberate when the player could reasonably do the identical thing even if the boundary line was, say, twenty metres away.

I think the events of last Friday night prove that you don't have to deliberately put the ball out of bounds to be pinged for it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is one of my major issues with it. I don't understand how a player can be penalised if the boundary line happens to be where they would be kicking/handballing/tapping the ball regardless. I'm sure in some of these instances they're aware that the ball will go out, but I don't see it as fair for them to have to think 'well I'm facing towards the boundary line and about to be tackled, normally in this situation I'd handpass it forwards. But the boundary line is there so I'll kick it over my head to the opposition goalsquare!!' Surely leave it for situations where players do something abnormal in an attempt to take it out.

This is one of my major issues with it. I don't understand how a player can be penalised if the boundary line happens to be where they would be kicking/handballing/tapping the ball regardless. I'm sure in some of these instances they're aware that the ball will go out, but I don't see it as fair for them to have to think 'well I'm facing towards the boundary line and about to be tackled, normally in this situation I'd handpass it forwards. But the boundary line is there so I'll kick it over my head to the opposition goalsquare!!' Surely leave it for situations where players do something abnormal in an attempt to take it out.

It seems overly harsh to have a HTB rule that forces players to dispose of the ball and then punish them if they dispose of it towards the boundary line. When you add in the "you dragged it in" interpretation of HTB we're going to soon reach the stage where the risk of taking possession in your back half will outweigh the reward. We'll have defenders resorting to constant paddling of the ball like a team of Kevin Bartletts - maybe that's been KB's dream since he joined the Rules Committee?

Yep, this. The Lonergan one and also one against Mackenzie (?) in the backline illustrate it pretty well. Both led their forward opponents to the ball, so did what any smart defender would do and punched it firmly in the direction they were running.

It's a horrible situation when the umpires get into the frame of mind to start paying anything where the player's actions led to them putting the ball out of bounds, rather than just the ones where it was clearly, without doubt their main intention. Gonna be so much ambiguity over interpretation for the rest of the season.