Kavanaugh Confirmed - Dems fail with unsupported sex assault allegation from 1982.

Remove this Banner Ad

I wasn't the one who posted the links, just rebutting yours.

At least in her case the police investigated, whereas the Reps refuse the FBI to investigate Ford's.
Why would the FBI investigate? It's not a claim of rape, it's a claim of sexual misconduct, which may or may not meet the standards of a crime. If it is a crime it is for the relevant state jurisdiction to investigate.

The question Chief asked was "why would this person make the allegation up?" Well why did Shorten's accuser? Or did she not make it up?

IMO, that is part of the reason why the "me too" thing hasn't taken off here. Because it cannot be waged by the side of politics most likely to use it.

Why would the FBI investigate? It's not a claim of rape, it's a claim of sexual misconduct, which may or may not meet the standards of a crime. If it is a crime it is for the relevant state jurisdiction to investigate.
The FBI doesn't investigate local complaints
Real or fabricated

Maybe to ascertain the truth given the position he is up for? If not the FBI given they are responsible for investigation of a nominee who else?

Sexual misconduct is a category of sex crimes that encompasses acts undertaken for sexual gratification against the will of another or without his or her permission.

What are they frightened of?

Maybe to ascertain the truth given the position he is up for? If not the FBI given they are responsible for investigation of a nominee who else?

Sexual misconduct is a category of sex crimes that encompasses acts undertaken for sexual gratification against the will of another or without his or her permission.

What are they frightened of?
Both accuser and accused are due to testify under oath - how would the FBI's involvement change things?

This is a higher standard of investigation than Shorten was required to undertake, and Shorten was accused of a more serious crime.

Both accuser and accused are due to testify under oath - how would the FBI's involvement change things?

This is a higher standard of investigation than Shorten was required to undertake, and Shorten was accused of a more serious crime.

Why are you still going on about Shorten, this is not the thread for it. One already exists in Australian Politics.

Seems they may have missed something, why not go back and make sure given it is a lifetime appointment.

Again, what are they frightened of?

Hell if I was accused of something like that, I would bare my life open and take a lie detector test (even if not accepted in court of law) welcome all and any investigation if I were innocent, wouldn't you?

Why are you still going on about Shorten, this is not the thread for it. One already exists in Australian Politics.

Seems they may have missed something, why not go back and make sure given it is a lifetime appointment.

Again, what are they frightened of?

Hell if I was accused of something like that, I would bare my life open and take a lie detector test (even if not accepted in court of law) welcome all and any investigation if I were innocent, wouldn't you?
I would want some proof

My understanding of this is that the Democrat lady had this information in her back pocket during the questioning of the prospective high court judge, then once the questioning process was completed it was released to smear him and push the issue until after the midterm elections where the democrats hope they will be in power and can reject anyone they believe will be a threat to their standing abortion decision.

Both she and he deserve their time in court because his career could get torpedoed by an accusation and that isn't justice. It's such a toxic environment where someone saying something that pushes your political agenda is taken and used (and by extension you are used) for a political point scoring exercise.

The truth shouldn't be subjective.

The irony of you having a sook about this considering it is exactly how you have replied to comments by Snake_Baker and CheapCharlie among other posters in the pay gap thread.
No it isn't. I haven't ignored their comments, it's been refuted previously in that same thread. lol... Good old TimmeT, attacking without knowledge.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My understanding of this is that the Democrat lady had this information in her back pocket during the questioning of the prospective high court judge, then once the questioning process was completed it was released to smear him and push the issue until after the midterm elections where the democrats hope they will be in power and can reject anyone they believe will be a threat to their standing abortion decision.

Both she and he deserve their time in court because his career could get torpedoed by an accusation and that isn't justice. It's such a toxic environment where someone saying something that pushes your political agenda is taken and used (and by extension you are used) for a political point scoring exercise.

The truth shouldn't be subjective.
Actually she contacted both the WaPo and her local member who happened to be a democrat.

That she sent in July.

They could have brought this up during the process there for it but decided to use her story to smear the reputation of Kavanaugh.
No, they decided to keep her name secret and then use it as they should in his confirmation hearing. I don't see a problem with it.. it's what accusations are.

2 other women have just come forward as well, whether they are telling the truth or not, who knows.

That she sent in July.

They could have brought this up during the process there for it but decided to use her story to smear the reputation of Kavanaugh.
She asked for her name to be kept out of it. It was then leaked. Somehow at the same time the Republicans also had her name which is why they were able to put together a list of 65 women supporting Kavanaugh within 24 hours.

This is why it needs further investigation as some are too quick to judge, surprised that you are though.

She asked for her name to be kept out of it. It was then leaked. Somehow at the same time the Republicans also had her name which is why they were able to put together a list of 65 women supporting Kavanaugh within 24 hours.

This is why it needs further investigation as some are too quick to judge, surprised that you are though.

I find it distasteful that a man's reputation is being sacrificed in the court of public opinion over a fear of an overturn of Roe v Wade.

I think any good man could find sixty women willing to testify to that effect with a days notice when their reputation is being destroyed by the allegations of one.

I find it distasteful that a man's reputation is being sacrificed in the court of public opinion over a fear of an overturn of Roe v Wade.

I think any good man could find sixty women willing to testify to that effect with a days notice when their reputation is being destroyed by the allegations of one.
Okay, sure, thought you might have already made up your mind, she is lying. Am I doing it right?

I could find a dozen people that know me that well that could verify for my character, mainly due to being in my very close social circle and either bi weekly or weekly contact, others in the outer circle that I only see monthly or less would have no idea.

For someone to be believed I would only accept those from his inner circle and I very much doubt that he has weekly contact with 65 women that could vouch for him on that level.

How often do you do you see in the media when a murder occurs to a neighbour and the comment is, "oh, such nice people, we had no idea".

Okay, sure, thought you might have already made up your mind, she is lying. Am I doing it right?
Nope, but justice is either fair for all or it isn't so while we pretend that it is fair for all then he deserves a chance to clear his name and not have his career destroyed by an allegation.

I believe he has a right to face accusations and defend himself against them just as she has the right to level them but it needs to be to a standard that can be challenged, and we need to be mature enough to allow us to challenge the accusations without making it about silence victims of assault.

List out your who, what, when and where then let your accused answer to it. From what I understand the Republican side are willing to make it as locked down and private as possible to facilitate that.

Nope, but justice is either fair for all or it isn't so while we pretend that it is fair for all then he deserves a chance to clear his name and not have his career destroyed by an allegation.

I believe he has a right to face accusations and defend himself against them just as she has the right to level them but it needs to be to a standard that can be challenged, and we need to be mature enough to allow us to challenge the accusations without making it about silence victims of assault.

List out your who, what, when and where then let your accused answer to it. From what I understand the Republican side are willing to make it as locked down and private as possible to facilitate that.
If I was in his situation, I would be demanding a full investigation, offering to undergo lie detector test like she has (I know not legal evidence), interviewing various classmates, the full press.

Politics from both sides are using it for political points and rushing what should now be a measured and unbiased investigation.

I don't believe what the Republicans are offering caters for this and it will still end up being she said/he said.

If I was in his situation, I would be demanding a full investigation, offering to undergo lie detector test like she has (I know not legal evidence), interviewing various classmates, the full press.

Politics from both sides are using it for political points and rushing what should now be a measured and unbiased investigation.

I don't believe what the Republicans are offering caters for this and it will still end up being she said/he said.
Where does the FBI sit on it? If they said it was all clear, is it independent enough?

Where does the FBI sit on it? If they said it was all clear, is it independent enough?
They haven't and won't be investigating this but to answer your question, if they do investigate and find the accusation without merit, then yes it would do.

Would you accept if they find it true?

They haven't and won't be investigating this but to answer your question, if they do investigate and find the accusation without merit, then yes it would do.

Would you accept if they find it true?
Absolutely.

I would worry that the woman the republicans put up for nomination after would be even more hardline conservative though.

Their whole system is so polarized.

Absolutely.

I would worry that the woman the republicans put up for nomination after would be even more hardline conservative though.

Their whole system is so polarized.

I think that this idea of lifetime appointment is so wrong for either side as values and social mores change through the years.

I am just glad we live in Australia, sometimes bad but not that bad, voters still have a voice.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back