Health Depression

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
I had a great half of the day lads and a not so good half of the second day. My life is brilliant in every avenue tbh. But holy behold, yes, no one is immune to bad days and down times. No matter who or how good a life one leads. My '' bad '' second half of the day is still nothing compared to what many endure. Tomorrow is a new day, there are better times ahead and I'll dust myself off, regroup and go at it again sooner rather than later.

Take care guys. Macpotata sends some postive energy your way:thumbsu:

Apr 2, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
You guys have any tips for really hard days? Today has been awful for none apparent reason, I just can't be bothered doing anything.

Was going to ask the same had a shocker Saturday and the weekend. Just don't know. Have to try and find a trusted pro but hard. Services will put you on hold or not understand. I wonder where I'm headed at times.

Best advice if you can't speak to anyone do something that keeps you grounded. A chat with a mate, do a family commitment/community service etc. But don't otherwise know. It's too hard to talk about so just stay grounded.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Sorry guys I missed your recent posts

Some days are just going to be plain s**t, that's life. And on those days perhaps a rest is needed where you're doing sweet fa.
Alternatively, some days you need to be proactive and give yourself your own positive energy. I reccomend exercising within an hour or two of waking up, or at least be on you way to start exercising. Get those endorphins flowing and the blood pumping. Staying stagnant can be a real killer and make the negtaivity worsen.

Now the above can be contradicting and confusing but you will need a balance, and only you know when to rest and when not to. Now when you're feeling like complete and utter s**t often the last thing you want to do is move around. But you must in order to feel better, it's the sacrafice and the pay off.

Additionally

meditate
yoga
see or talk to a friend
walk just for fresh air and to be healthy
go out and do some activities like get a coffee, go see a movie etc.

Get into the swing of a structured life anyway where you do many activities and once you're on a roll, you will find you will want to keep the feel god factor going.

Keep well guys and do your best, to be your best version of you. And most importantly, most healthiest.

Cheers.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Hope youre doing well. Give it a good go and go outside your comfort zone persistenly and dedicate in improving several areas of your life. Who knows what you can achieve.

Also listening to music at the right times, and what you listen to can have a great affect in your mood. Don't crank the wrong kind of music around bed time though as you want to be winding down. Some can't handle music at all around bed, while others find it relaxing and aids in their sleep.

Last edited:

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Just checking in with you all. Hope you're well and again, pm me if you need to chat.

Life isn't perfect. Don't try to make it so.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
your self respect and mental health and well being are the most important things you have in this world. Values those and do your best to honour them.

Try not to let the negativity of others and negativity in general affect you. Shield yourself as much as possible from it. It's imposslble to always be positive as we're not bullet proof. But as much as possible, do your best to be the best person that you can be and the most positive as much as you can.

Change your thinking. Good luck all best wishes.

come on oliver

Club Legend
Mar 17, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Have been having some time away from alcohol. Has been impacting all aspects of my life negatively. Had some really shitty lows.

Realised most of my mates are drinking buddies. Literally don’t catch up with any without a beer. What a joke!
Have been keeping in contact with some who know my situation however struggled Friday with the constant let’s catch up for beers. It sucked as they know why I’m trying to stay sober.

Anyway starting to feel like they are not the people I need around me. Time to move on from that group.

On the plus. 1 month off the piss dropping 4.5 kg’s and a happier relationship with my partner.
Hope everyone is keeping well.

Cheers

My problems are that no-one can help me with my problems. And it's all my own doing. I'm in my early 40s.

1. Physical - Motorcycle accident 930 days ago - life ongoing rehab is PTA (Pain Torture Agony) - sad realisation running and team sports won't happen despite the fact I've worked super hard to this point - still got something that needs surgery that won't get done until the pain is chronic (radius and elbow)

2. Homesickness. I'm in QLD and all my family is in VIC and SA. Point 3 explains point 2. COVID means i won't get home till the end of the year. Haven't seen them since last year.

3. Family issues. Have a 15yo boy I haven't seen in 8 years. One of those marriage over, leave her with everything, she blames and hates me, live in the country, accuses you multiple times of abuse, lack of rural services and ICL report and judge deem you did nothing wrong, exemplary father who went above and beyond but best interests of child is due to mothers's vitriol as primary caregiver that you lose him and you and no-one in your family can see him. Massive break down. Meds. Lots of therapy. Knew i had to leave to save my sanity. Moved to Darwin and then Brisbane. Been here 6 years. Is nice though. From his teachers he seems lost. She doesn't encourage him. He's changed schools 4 times in last 6 years (she's a control freak). Very few friends. No hobbies or outside of school interests. Totally reliant on her. He doesn't (naturally) want anything to do with me.

4. Relationships. Impossible. Yet to meet a woman who doesn't believe point 3. Every date is "Do you have kids?" I can't lie and say no. But you tell your side (the short version). They nod and go with it. Then don't want another date or meet after. I totally understand though those thought mannerisms and processes and the wariness and protectiveness. Shouldn't have to bring the ICL (Independant Children's Lawyer) report to every date to prove it LOL. I'm sure even not all the people i work with believe me.

Thank god i have footy back. i'm an Umpire Coach and love being part of two clubs mentoring boys and girls who are similar ages to my boy. Great clubs. Great parents. Very supportive.

Swimming and the driving range are good or exercise or just releasing energy.

I totally agree with the music thing. Whether its your playlist or a stereo music can change a mood for the better.

If you're having trouble sleeping go for one of those relaxation CD's. Find your "happy place" though. For me it's always gentle rushing water CD (like a creek or brook or stream) or a soft bush/country wildlife noises CD for about 20 minutes and some nice deep breathing.

Look after yourselves and your fellow peeps. Reach out if in the dark. All you need is love (Lennon/McCartney obligatory credit)

Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Sick of this s**t. My life has been absolutely ruined by this pandemic. Yes I’m not the only one but I feel like I’ve had the s**t kicked out of me.

No relationship, no long term job after looking like finally landing one after a bit of time spent trying to and temporarily landing one.

No end in sight. I’ll spend years as a sad lonely angry miserable person because of this ******* bullshit. Sick of older people carrying on like it’s not even that bad to have prime years ripped away.

Absolute bullshit.

Jul 3, 2012
Bayside
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
QPR
yeah, i don't know what is, but after a couple of weeks of not feeling anything, just being, going through the motions. Yesterday's news about the lockdowns was just like *KKKKKKK!!!! had it, over it.
Surprisingly this morning i woke up feeling somewhat rejuvenated.
I don't know how or why, didn't do anything particular, but there is something we must do/feel/think that finds that reset switch, i wish i knew how.
It is there.

Apr 2, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Sick of this sh*t. My life has been absolutely ruined by this pandemic. Yes I’m not the only one but I feel like I’ve had the sh*t kicked out of me.

No relationship, no long term job after looking like finally landing one after a bit of time spent trying to and temporarily landing one.

No end in sight. I’ll spend years as a sad lonely angry miserable person because of this ******* bullshit. Sick of older people carrying on like it’s not even that bad to have prime years ripped away.

Absolute bullshit.

I'm the same. Was making positive changes and its come to a grinding halt. (I I don't agree with the severity but that's another argument for another board. Don't even want to think how non sensical and inconsistent this is)). First one hit me for 6 and I don't think I'll get back the positive changes I was making back.

One positive is i will have to deal with less f wits and be able to have my space to put in a few long term plans. Hopefully.

Its trite bullshit I know. But try use the time to think of something/anything and pursue that. Don't worry about peoples carry on. (There is an inherent bias in people including me to a point in how they've approached this. No one has any knowledge of virology or has seen any data so are just going on how they feel. And time with the family and off work is great for some).

Relationship is hard. Hate it but maybe try Tinder or something as you can still meet in pairs. Best of luck.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
* I wish I could help you guys in some way. I'll post tomorrow, I wish you guys well. Sorry for your troubles.

Speak soon guys take care.

Apr 2, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
fu** I wish I could help you guys in some way. I'll post tomorrow, I wish you guys well. Sorry for your troubles.

Speak soon guys take care.

You're fine. Enjoy your posts.
Life was sh*t before and it's much worse now
Hear you there. Look I'll leave the politics for other boards but with this lockdown all we can do is use the time to try and self care and work out a plan that will help when going forward once this ends. A lot harder if you're working I know but if th Government inisists we have to be alone and self distanced may as well be (don't want to say selfish as that is the wrong word) self focused as your first priority. What will work for you and what you need in the future and can you work towards a plan or goal in some way that can help.

biggiemediums

Norm Smith Medallist
WCE Wings Guernsey
Jul 20, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Second lockdown has really ****ed with my plans getting back on track and sort of spiralled me backwards again - BUT - I'm just going to spend this lockdown basically prison style getting jacked. Set up a shitty gym outside the back - got a vape so I'm not so paranoid about smell, medicating with Mary Jane.

Key is to keep busy; whenever I'm not busy the demons come to play.

Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
yeah, i don't know what is, but after a couple of weeks of not feeling anything, just being, going through the motions. Yesterday's news about the lockdowns was just like fu**KKKKKKK!!!! had it, over it.
Surprisingly this morning i woke up feeling somewhat rejuvenated.
I don't know how or why, didn't do anything particular, but there is something we must do/feel/think that finds that reset switch, i wish i knew how.
It is there.
I went through the motions for weeks, didn't really care what day it was etc. I'm sure plenty in the same boat. Once restrictions eased I at least felt like I had something to look forward to on the weekend being able to see some friends, go to the pub etc. I just longed for a bit of normality and it felt like it.

It's not so much the six weeks that is eating at me now. It's the realisation that Victoria at least (maybe the whole of Australia I don't know) is going to be dealing with this for ages. That has so many consequences for my entire life. I know everyone is in the same boat and people have told me that but it doesn't make it any less s**t. Literally two days before lockdown I felt like I had my s**t together after getting a full time job and I could at least spend a few years doing that, determining where I wanted to end up long term etc. I may well have that job again but the way things have gone and continue to go make it more and more unlikely. I feel like I am on the verge of losing it, being in this perpetual cycle of working in a part time job I am sick of and with nothing I can do about any other employment. Combine that with being a young single male and things ******* suck. I feel like I'm having my youth and my life ripped away and there's nothing I can do about it.

I've seen people say others have dealt with worse in history and all that. Sure. But living without a purpose which is what so many of us are doing right now is ******* terrible. I don't care what anyone says.

This feels like it could go on for years and the government will just tell us all to suck up and deal with it. * it all

Jun 19, 2011
MCG
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I went through the motions for weeks, didn't really care what day it was etc. I'm sure plenty in the same boat. Once restrictions eased I at least felt like I had something to look forward to on the weekend being able to see some friends, go to the pub etc. I just longed for a bit of normality and it felt like it.

It's not so much the six weeks that is eating at me now. It's the realisation that Victoria at least (maybe the whole of Australia I don't know) is going to be dealing with this for ages. That has so many consequences for my entire life. I know everyone is in the same boat and people have told me that but it doesn't make it any less sh*t. Literally two days before lockdown I felt like I had my sh*t together after getting a full time job and I could at least spend a few years doing that, determining where I wanted to end up long term etc. I may well have that job again but the way things have gone and continue to go make it more and more unlikely. I feel like I am on the verge of losing it, being in this perpetual cycle of working in a part time job I am sick of and with nothing I can do about any other employment. Combine that with being a young single male and things ******* suck. I feel like I'm having my youth and my life ripped away and there's nothing I can do about it.

I've seen people say others have dealt with worse in history and all that. Sure. But living without a purpose which is what so many of us are doing right now is ******* terrible. I don't care what anyone says.

This feels like it could go on for years and the government will just tell us all to suck up and deal with it. fu** it all
It's a s**t situation for a lot of people. You're entitled to feel the way you do. We are communal beings and lockdowns we not healthy for us. I don't think lockdowns can go on indefinitely. It's not financially viable and people just won't put up with it, so I have hope there. I've already noticed during this lockdown, people are still out and about much more than they were in the first one.

There's no easy fixes, but for now all you can do is concentrate on the things you can control. Can you eat well? Yes. Can you exercise? Yes. Can you do the best possible work in your PT role to try and ensure FT work when we come out if this? Yes.

In the meantime, check out the daily stoics.

In terms of purpose, there are still community programs that need volunteers (not as many granted), maybe that's something you could look in to.

Bit your right. There's no easy way through this.

Dec 2, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yup just gotta keep yourself busy and luckily this time round the footy and the other sport is on for some entertainment

Like everyone this crap cost me my girlfriend cos the extra time apart made it a mental nightmare to have to deal with and cost me a nice promotion and pay rise which gets me down

However I’m sure there are a lot of people doing it a lot tougher than me so just have to get some exercise in and keep yourself as busy as possible.

But jeez some days can be tough

Back