Health Depression

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
I’m extremely lucky at the moment but in the hopes it might help...

Last year I suffered depression and burnout. Had been working in a pretty shitty job with a really shitty boss for too long. I quit (almost rage quit but managed to take the night and do it the next day) was very open about why and sought treatment.

In seeing a counselor for the first time in my life (33 years old) and talking about my issues I felt like an absolute moron. I have had a good, good paying job for a long time, I’m healthy, married to beautiful woman. Sitting in the counselors office and talking about my issues I just felt like a total dickhead, all the same stuff people here mention (people are worse off, be thankful for what you have etc etc). My counselor told me not to do this stuff comparatively, whatever you are going through is yours and comparing it relatively doesn’t help you or anyone else.

I don’t know if this helps anyone but honestly it was revelatory for me. Don’t discount or devalue your experience, be it positive or negative, because of others, all peoples suffering (especially mental health related) are relative.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
I’m extremely lucky at the moment but in the hopes it might help...

Last year I suffered depression and burnout. Had been working in a pretty shitty job with a really shitty boss for too long. I quit (almost rage quit but managed to take the night and do it the next day) was very open about why and sought treatment.

In seeing a counselor for the first time in my life (33 years old) and talking about my issues I felt like an absolute moron. I have had a good, good paying job for a long time, I’m healthy, married to beautiful woman. Sitting in the counselors office and talking about my issues I just felt like a total dickhead, all the same stuff people here mention (people are worse off, be thankful for what you have etc etc). My counselor told me not to do this stuff comparatively, whatever you are going through is yours and comparing it relatively doesn’t help you or anyone else.

I don’t know if this helps anyone but honestly it was revelatory for me. Don’t discount or devalue your experience, be it positive or negative, because of others, all peoples suffering (especially mental health related) are relative.
Absolute champion.

Great post.

Some people can be so heartless with their comments regarding the way you experience depression. You are so correct it is relative.

Yup just gotta keep yourself busy and luckily this time round the footy and the other sport is on for some entertainment

Like everyone this crap cost me my girlfriend cos the extra time apart made it a mental nightmare to have to deal with and cost me a nice promotion and pay rise which gets me down

However I’m sure there are a lot of people doing it a lot tougher than me so just have to get some exercise in and keep yourself as busy as possible.

But jeez some days can be tough

I actually found myself so calm and peaceful during the lockdown in Adelaide earlier this year, that it helped my depression. I basically just exercised, ate well and slept well.

Does punting effect your depression? I say this, as I know my depression is bad, when I can punt, win well and not enjoy the wins. I will say that betting actually helps with my depression in the sense that it gives me an outlet to focus my energies and time into.

Dec 2, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
I actually found myself so calm and peaceful during the lockdown in Adelaide earlier this year, that it helped my depression. I basically just exercised, ate well and slept well.

Does punting effect your depression? I say this, as I know my depression is bad, when I can punt, win well and not enjoy the wins. I will say that betting actually helps with my depression in the sense that it gives me an outlet to focus my energies and time into.
Yep I agree I’m more of a homebody so in a sense lockdown hasn’t really affected my way of life, however what’s going on has effected aspects of my career progression and social life which does get me down

Nah not really mate, don’t bet above what I’m ok with losing and have done that since I started when I was 18.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Up's and downs are apart of life. No one goes through life without struggles and suffering. No one.

Chin up guys just do what you can in the area's that you can. You can't control everything, but control the things that YOU can.

ash_1050

Premiership Player
Nov 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory and Arsenal
A short article on the emotional impact of lockdown 2.0

This time last year, more than a few of us would be jetting off somewhere warm, or at least living vicariously through friends' social media feeds who are on holiday.

Instead, Melburnians are in lockdown for six weeks after recording the country's biggest increase in coronavirus cases.
Meanwhile NSW is doing its best to contain the clusters already popping up in Sydney's south-west.
The official nickname is Lockdown 2.0, but that’s a jovial spin on hope deferred.

We thought we had COVID-19 licked; we packed the kids back off to school, resurrected our social calendars and made plans for the next family holiday. Only to be left instead with numb disappointment, mild panic and anxious frustration.
What does this sort of thing do to one's mental state?
“If people assumed that they were done with the life-affecting, traumatic experience brought on by the pandemic and the lockdown, then finding out that it has returned would most likely cause more distress compared to last time,” says psychologist Dr Rowan Burckhardt.
Australia’s Black Dog Institute estimates that between 25 and 33 per cent of the community will experience significant anxiety and distress during the pandemic.
“It’s a bit like the difference between knowing we have eight days of hiking in front of us compared to believing that we've finished a four-day hike, only to be told we have another four days to go,” says Dr Burckhardt. “We prepare ourselves mentally and that creates expectations. When those expectations get violated, we are going to be affected more.”

During the first lockdown there was a unified feeling of 'we'll get through this' – now that the curve has shot up again, Dr Burckhardt says it’s normal to feel depleted and a little out of control.
There is also added distress about economic outcomes and around those in charge, such as politicians, business owners and other decision makers, says Dr Burckhardt. “All of it contributes to heightened levels of anxiety and greater uncertainty for our future.”
In the US, where over 3 million people are currently battling the virus, they’ve recorded a six per cent rise in “Broken Heart Syndrome” where the traditional symptoms of a heart attack, such as shortness of breath, weakness and heart pain, are felt as a result of severe emotional and physical stress.
What’s to be done? “One thing that can help this time is actually using the lessons from last time,” says Dr Burckhardt. “In a sense, we got a practice run. We can reflect on what things we did that helped and do more of those and do less of the others.” But above all, he says “Remind yourself that it will pass, this is a temporary situation.”

Tips for staying motivated in lockdown
  1. Switch up your workout. “Being physically active is super important for mental health,” says Dr Burckhardt. “Try exercising with a friend, even if it is just a brisk walk.”
  2. Get out of your own head. “Talk with friends over the phone. Chat with neighbours.”
  3. Stop trying to be productive. Dr Burckhardt says there's nothing wrong with using your time indoors to tackle something you've always wanted to do, but avoid putting any unnecessary pressure on yourself.
  4. Be your own cheerleader. “Remind yourself of the public good you are doing by staying in your house. You are literally saving lives.”

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Shout out to all in here who are doing it tough. I've got many great, successful friends who are more importantly good people who also have their struggles at the moment. Their lives are great, or at least were, but not at this very moment. So there's no discriminatory on who mental health and bad luck affects. Everyone has their turn.

Peace guys.

footy75

Premiership Player
Jun 4, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton

Interesting. Curious though... Does punting also help with your depression because it gives you a dopamine kick that perhaps your brain could be lacking normally? Or perhaps a fix for boredom.... Seriously, lockdown or no lockdown I know about the Adelaide rut etc

I don't know of course just putting it out there....food for thought.

Dec 2, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
I can tell you first hand that gambling can hurt you.

if you suffer from depression and get hooked on the punt then imo its a recipe for disaster.

Stay away (imo)

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app
Agreed, especially in situations like this where u potentially have no escape from, it can be an absolute recipe for disaster for some who can’t control it

No surprise it’s one of the only industries in AUS that hasn’t suffered as a result from covid.

Pretty sad

come on oliver

Club Legend
Mar 17, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Having a better time of late. Enjoying being sober but have lost a lot of people I considered mates since quitting.

Hit my goal weight. Dropped nearly 7kg’s now.
Much happier life at home and keeping busy with work bubs and some hobbies.

Never been taught how to use tools. I’m trying my hand at building my son a toy box (thanks YouTube) Hoping to build a bit of self confidence also. I was flat last Friday but pushed myself in the shed. Came out feeling better.

Love a punt but like a few here bet within my limits. Just wanted to say there’s some really good individuals in the punters forum. Enjoy talking racing and having a laugh with them. Keeps my mind busy. Chat to a few most days.
I would really recommend honing in on a hobby.

I hope everyone is keeping well

I was diagnosed with depression about 7 or 8 years ago but I’ve certainly battled it for 20 odd years . In the last few years I’ve found that keeping your mind busy by doing a hobby has helped a lot . I find the self talk in my head a huge burden and it plays a massive part in my down days. I took up painting a few years ago and just an hour a night concentrating on something I enjoy has helped immensely. Friends now ask for art from me and I’ve had a few random people get me to do commissioned pieces. Finally feeling like I have something to offer has made me feel so good. So I urge anyone who is struggling to find something you enjoy doing and start doing it. Here’s a few of my recent paintings
70427399-81AC-44DE-A1A3-2B8071B9D6D1.jpeg
BFF0C6F4-47ED-413A-99F8-8997B0825C95.jpeg

come on oliver

Club Legend
Mar 17, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
I was diagnosed with depression about 7 or 8 years ago but I’ve certainly battled it for 20 odd years . In the last few years I’ve found that keeping your mind busy by doing a hobby has helped a lot . I find the self talk in my head a huge burden and it plays a massive part in my down days. I took up painting a few years ago and just an hour a night concentrating on something I enjoy has helped immensely. Friends now ask for art from me and I’ve had a few random people get me to do commissioned pieces. Finally feeling like I have something to offer has made me feel so good. So I urge anyone who is struggling to find something you enjoy doing and start doing it. Here’s a few of my recent paintings
View attachment 922466View attachment 922468

Jeez! You are very talented.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
mentioned already

what were your parents like? their personalities? what did they instill in you? what were you conditioned to growing up? even still to this day possibly?

Your parents play/played a massive part into who you are. You can also follow in their foot steps without even realising it. Normal behaviour, beliefs and thought systems which may not be normal became '' normal '' for you.

Feb 10, 2011
Weitering
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Bayern München
It's funny how I can tie up my emotions into a single person. It's a mistake I didn't think I'd make again. Earlier this year I met a great girl and for a few months all feelings of hopelessness, sadness, loneliness were extinguished. Just as things were getting serious, it turns out we can't be together any longer due to religious differences (her call, not mine) I am absolutely shattered. Feel like I've been punched in the gut and all those bad feelings that I haven't felt since last year came rushing back. I jumped onto dating apps to try and get over her but I am nowhere near ready to pursue another woman, I just want to fall asleep and wake up in a month's time a new person.

I know this might be miniscule compared to what others are going through but I just needed to tell someone how poorly I was feeling because tbh I am struggling.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
It's funny how I can tie up my emotions into a single person. It's a mistake I didn't think I'd make again. Earlier this year I met a great girl and for a few months all feelings of hopelessness, sadness, loneliness were extinguished. Just as things were getting serious, it turns out we can't be together any longer due to religious differences (her call, not mine) I am absolutely shattered. Feel like I've been punched in the gut and all those bad feelings that I haven't felt since last year came rushing back. I jumped onto dating apps to try and get over her but I am nowhere near ready to pursue another woman, I just want to fall asleep and wake up in a month's time a new person.

I know this might be miniscule compared to what others are going through but I just needed to tell someone how poorly I was feeling because tbh I am struggling.
nah good on you for speaking up. Youre welcome and entitled to any time and every one has their pain, and pain is pain, period.

I'll post more in depth at a later date but the positives are she saw the good in you which there's plenty of, and you're a very worthy person. That doesn't change with or without her but you must be doing pretty well to be attracting women. Learn to love yourself and build yourself up again and not set your faith and confidence on how others view and perceive you. Take this time out to heal, ground yourself and let yourself feel the pain because pushing it away will only burden and hurt you further, if not now then later on ( even more )

No one takes a break up well. At least 99 percent of people don't. Youll bounce back again, as you did before. It does take time though pal.

Speak soon. You're not the only one, won't be the last and certainly not alone.

Best wishes son.

Feb 10, 2011
Weitering
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Bayern München
nah good on you for speaking up. Youre welcome and entitled to any time and every one has their pain, and pain is pain, period.

I'll post more in depth at a later date but the positives are she saw the good in you which there's plenty of, and you're a very worthy person. That doesn't change with or without her but you must be doing pretty well to be attracting women. Learn to love yourself and build yourself up again and not set your faith and confidence on how others view and perceive you. Take this time out to heal, ground yourself and let yourself feel the pain because pushing it away will only burden and hurt you further, if not now then later on ( even more )

No one takes a break up well. At least 99 percent of people don't. Youll bounce back again, as you did before. It does take time though pal.

Speak soon. You're not the only one, won't be the last and certainly not alone.

Best wishes son.

Thanks mate. This post means a lot.

Has anyone used any specific medications they can say 100 percent saved or helped them
I’m on pristiq and that has been good. But I have also found that simply telling people how you feel a greT way of releasing what’s inside you.

Sep 21, 2004
Adel - SA - Aust - Earth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Norwood & Liverpool.
I'm not depressed, but my fear of death is becoming a bit crippling. I spend far too much time pondering eternal nothingness.

If I believed in an afterlife things would be a lot easier. Sadly I can't trick myself into believing in such things.
I just think of it like...

Do you know when you're sleeping? or all of time before you were born?

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back