Details on National Comp?

Remove this Banner Ad

Tasmania in uproar about -
1. No Women's Tassie Team
2. Tassie women's talent to be sent to the NSW team once up and running

http://www.afltas.com.au/afl-favour-nsw-over-tasmanian-womens-team/

Have good reason to be disgruntled me thinks.

Tasmania were never going to get their own team for two reasons.

1) The AFL want it as a club based competition, rather than state teams
2) The depth in Tasmanian women's footy isn't there at the moment (ie: just one league with one division of 8 teams)

It is surprising that Tassie has been aligned with NSW. I thought they would have been put into the Victorian draft pool.

The debate re the benefits of smaller or bigger league to start continues. I am still not sure of the best approach, and in this case I am not sure it will be certain what the best approach was even after the first season has finished.

The AFLs rationale for looking at a bigger league is that they see the primary goal of the league in driving female participation, and cementing footy as a significant female sport. To that end, it makes sense to have a team in Adelaide, as well as Sydney, Brisbane and Perth, and as many as possible in Victoria.

More female AFL in more places equals greater participation driver.

Others see the benefits of a bigger league as a driver of improvement in the game. If your concern is the quality of the footy, expose as many women as possible to elite training as early as possible, and this will drive the improvement quickly.

Those that see the benefit of football that is seen to deserve its place as an elite womens sport want the talent concentrated as much as possible to maintain a high quality product. People are more likely to watch, broadcasters are more likely to broadcast, if they see a truly elite national league of high quality football. This exposure then drives the participation and quality growth required.

The counter arguments are. If you start with a big, shallow comp, by the time you get the growth and improvement in quality you are after, people may have already made up their mind that the game is not worth watching. It may be almost impossible to get a lot of people to give the league a second look. Lose them early with poor matches, never get them back. However, I think most people are sophisticated enough to realise this is a new league, and to give it some time, especially if it is explained early on that it is a sport in transition.

However, with a smaller league, will people who would dismiss the league out of hand based on its quality in an 8 or 10 team comp, really be likely to be impressed with the quality in a 6 team comp. Is the jump in quality that big? If you are not going to get them with a 8 team comp, then you are not likely to get them with a 6 team comp, so go big. Also, more teams equals more supporters with a womens team in their clubs colours, and more people likely to sit down and have a bit of a look. However, It will be easier to field 6 teams full of players that look like they belong in a national league, and not a suburban comp.

Personally, given the talk on a lot of the BF boards, a lot of footy supporters already believe the quality is not worth watching, and they are not going to change their mind regardless of the footy played. Those who do support it are understanding enough not to be turned off by a few scrappy games in the first year, so I am leaning to a league as big as possible first up.

Just heard from TAC Cup: Future Stars on channel 9 that will be only 4 interstate teams even in a 8 or 10 team comp.

If it is a 10 team comp and six teams from Victoria, then we all will know that the AFL is actually the VFL.

Just heard from TAC Cup: Future Stars on channel 9 that will be only 4 interstate teams even in a 8 or 10 team comp.

If it is a 10 team comp and six teams from Victoria, then we all will know that the AFL is actually the VFL.

Let us know when the other states have anywhere near Victorias strength and depth in womens footy.

Let us know when the other states have anywhere near Victorias strength and depth in womens footy.
The Eagles and Dockers women's team were both easily as strong as a 1/5th strength Vic team, so WA could field 2 competitive teams. 6 Vic teams and 1 WA team would start to feel like decision makers sitting in Melbourne making decisions that are to the benefit of the local clubs.

This doesn't mean they are consciously biased, but unconscious bias is still bias.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Im well aware of that, which is why strength alone is not the qualifier, its also depth.. Yes, the best of the best might match it on their day, but by most accounts there is far more top female talent in the VWFL in terms of pure numbers.

If there are four or more Victorian teams and just one from WA, bet your life savings on the WA team to win the first flag.

Easy money!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well footy fans can this work - The Giants will field a team in the new league it seems "AND" are joining up with Netball Australia in Sydney for a cross sport partnership. This is the classic Arabic saying -Keep your friends close and your enemies closer. I see things in terms of competition always or are Netball and Womens footy in different markets.
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/netball...western-sydney-superclub-20160512-gotw3z.html

Well footy fans can this work - The Giants will field a team in the new league it seems "AND" are joining up with Netball Australia in Sydney for a cross sport partnership. This is the classic Arabic saying -Keep your friends close and your enemies closer. I see things in terms of competition always or are Netball and Womens footy in different markets.
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/netball...western-sydney-superclub-20160512-gotw3z.html
It makes sense from the GWS perspective. I do not think canibilisation of talent is a real issue, and a link up gives the Giants another avenue into the hearts and minds of western Sydney. From the article, netball got a lot from the Swans when setting up the Swifts, so they may be for it.

Netball is going to increase the salary cap, from 300k, to 500k. Still not a lot, but a huge percentage boost. Making an effort to protect there patch?

News tonight from the AFL. They've have told the Lions that they CANNOT sign Tayla Harris as a player yet.

She's allowed to be employed as a development officer (or similar role), but cannot put pen to paper as a player.

I suspect whatever paperwork she signed, was only about the club role, and didn't tie her in as a player. That was just PR.

Netball is going to increase the salary cap, from 300k, to 500k. Still not a lot, but a huge percentage boost. Making an effort to protect there patch?

Off topic but related to Womens Footy and Netball in regard to recruiting Women athletes sort of.
Netball Aust has just inked a new Free to Air TV deal with CH9 from 2017 and will be expanding by three Australian teams to eight AND dropping the NZ teams?????. FTA Sports in Australia are the FTA Networks significant revenue sources with so many Interupters entering the market.
Collingwood and GWS will be involved with two of the new clubs, and the Storm the other.
IMHO the new footy league has come just in time it seems.
Participation ---Netball at the end of 2014 had 846,000 and Footy at the end of 2015 had 300,000 odd from a low base.
It will be interesting Jatz to see how the Womens footy numbers grow in the future. I think the initial surge is over and should be steady growth from now.

They are trialling rules in the Melb v Bris game this weekend. Last tiuch out of bounds (if a kick or handball) and two players inside forward 50 at all times. And five more over centre at each stoppage. Obviously Leathlean is more comfortable with girls playing netball. Idiot.

They are trialling rules in the Melb v Bris game this weekend. Last tiuch out of bounds (if a kick or handball) and two players inside forward 50 at all times. And five more over centre at each stoppage. Obviously Leathlean is more comfortable with girls playing netball. Idiot.
Do not see how it works tbh. Think it would be extremely confusing as a player as well. You have a fast break out of defence, and have your 2 forwards in the 50, if they lead up, they have to stop at the 50 line? How is that a good look.

Do not see how it works tbh. Think it would be extremely confusing as a player as well. You have a fast break out of defence, and have your 2 forwards in the 50, if they lead up, they have to stop at the 50 line? How is that a good look.

If the defenders dont have to stay with them you just push up and outnumber them across the middle. Makes it harder to get forward. Can you interchange one of them? You would have to send a player forward into the 50 before the rotation. It's just not thought out. And players think its patronising.

I was just reading that the AFL want 10 teams but there is only enough 'elite talent" for 8 teams.
That never bothered the AFL when they kept putting on more and more clubs Nationally and not dropping some out of Melbourne in the male game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back