Development around the Port

Remove this Banner Ad

I wonder if they were promised or were betting on a rail extension when they moved down there.

Of course they were, it was all part of a broader plan to extend the working regions of metropolitan Adelaide to stop everything being in the CBD.
That's why it's so ******* stupid to kill it now.

Rule of thumb: Go in to debt for infrastructure, in the long run, it will pay for itself.

The weirdness that South Australians have for the Port is just plain stupid.
Any other city on the planet would have developed that area half a century ago.

As a general rule I find people’s objection to spending on infrastructure amazing

Like since when has not spending money on infrastructure ever resulted in money going back to taxpayers? It ends up somewhere. At least when you have bricks and mortar, like an oval, hospital, new tram stops, underpass, railway line or whatever it creates jobs to make it and benefits people for years afterwards.

Pa Pa Pa Pa Paki stan
Pa Pa Pa Pa Paki stan
You've got 'em rockin' and a-rollin'
Rockin' and a-reelin'
Paki stan
Pa Pa Pa Pa Paki stan

Pakistan beating the Kiwis in the last over this morning has opened up the WC. The Poms are in trouble and even the Kiwis could miss if things go poorly. Although they could lose both games and will probably get thru. Oz is the only team guaranteed to make the semis.

Pakistan will probably make it given they play Afghanistan and Bangladesh. Then again they are a side that could lose both.

View attachment 699189

Games to play for teams still alive
Aus. NZ.., SAF
NZ.. AUS, ENG
Ind. WI., ENG, BAN, SRI
Eng IND, NZ
Ban IND, PAK
Pak AFG, BAN
Sri. SAF, WI., IND

If the Kiwis lose both games and the Paki's win both their games and the favourites win the others the final table will be AUS 16, NZ 11, IND 17, ENG 10, PAK 11. Then there is the weather and a no result game or two and net run rate would come into play.

The Kiwis and Poms final 2 games each, will probably end up being be the biggest matches of the the group phase. Eng v Ind on Sunday night will be huge, and Aus v NZ on Saturday night will be big as well.

Lol. REH unless they’re building a new cricket pitch in the port you’ve got the wrong thread.

Lol. REH unless they’re building a new cricket pitch in the port you’ve got the wrong thread.
cheers moved to the cricket thread.

On the previous page at post #102 last September I put up the article about Shaun Bonett's Precision Group who were transforming the Port Canal Shopping Centre to be renamed Port Adelaide Plaza from 28 shops to 60. 15 months on The Australian have done this story on Bonett's general retail shopping centre strategies and mentions specific about Port Adelaide Plaza.

Shaun Bonett’s secret sauce for malls: quality and convenience
EXCLUSIVEJOHN STENSHOLT EDITOR, THE LIST 6:47PM DECEMBER 6, 2019
565042f6c46144199837e80eeef27f40

Want to know what will work for retailing in the future? Consider how Aldi sells its tomato sauce and, also, how a customer could purchase a new suit or dress in the evening but have it delivered to their house the next morning because they’d headed out for dinner or a nightclub. Shaun Bonett, the billionaire shopping centre landlord and commercial property owner, is musing about the future of retailing, and how old-fashioned bricks and mortar needs more than ever to be aware of the lack of time customers have these days.

In some cases, if you do it well, customers don’t mind having decisions made for them as long as a product is good and it is convenient. Which is exactly what buying that dress or suit in the evening is all about, too. “The concept of people going shopping and carrying around bags, particularly around the evening, will become a thing of the past, for example,” Bonett says. “There’s a reduction in malls of sales between 4-6pm … so why not make a digital experience? You pick the items [in store] and then the delivery is executed the next day. “Particularly in that millennial customer, they are wanting that flexibility to go shopping and then go out at night. “To be frank, this is a low-hanging-fruit opportunity for retailers to be embracing. It is giving their customers greater flexibility to buy what they want and not be limited by what they can carry.”

Bonett is celebrating 25 years in business with his Precision Group, which owns a collection of 11 commercial buildings in Australia and New Zealand, ranging from shopping centres in Adelaide and Melbourne to office blocks in Sydney and pubs in Brisbane. He also owns a 55 per cent stake in digital e-giftcard business Prezzee, which launches in the US and the UK on Monday after going from zero to 3 million customers in Australia in four years, while giving Bonett valuable data insights into consumer spending habits.

But he still has most of his assets in bricks and mortar. Rather than considering an exit from the retailing sector as some others entrepreneurs have in recent years, Bonett is doubling down.

“In 25 years I have never worked harder and the scale and pace of change and of customer … expectations has never been so intense,” Bonett says. “In the consumer world there’s tech companies which have created expectation and the sense of entitlement, everything should be verging on intuitive, convenient and pleasurable. And if it is not, the company is not doing a good job. “We have got these expectations that have been created in the consumer’s psyche. They demand and expect the best.”

Bonett is trying to deliver that in his malls, with some simple yet effective strategies. Precision has spent $45m revamping Port Adelaide Plaza, the first property ex-lawyer Bonett bought, and has also overhauled the 40-year-old Shore City mall in Auckland.

In Port Adelaide, Bonett has knocked down a big chunk of the centre, introduced a childcare centre, a big Aldi and a cafe precinct. More parking, including more shaded spaces, and easier access was introduced, as were bigger advertising and information screens. Why do all this? Because, Bonett says, Precision surveyed customers face to face and found that what they said they wanted was different to what his team had planned for the centre. “Relationships are key. You don’t establish relationships with your customer by sending them emails and text,” he says. “It’s amazing when you ask a customer what they like, most are willing to stop and tell you. “If they are in a rush they will tell you that for sure, but if they’ve got a few minutes they are very willing to tell you what you want.”

1575854719376.png

Not strictly 'development', but PAE Mayor Claire Boan recently posted this video filmed by our own Darryl Poole

That reminds me I saw this on Getaway about 6 weeks ago. Didn't know the ships graveyard at Garden Island even existed.

I reckon taking new draftees on these kayak excursions should be part of the induction process.

That reminds me I saw this on Getaway about 6 weeks ago. Didn't know the ships graveyard at Garden Island even existed.

I reckon taking new draftees on these kayak excursions should be part of the induction process.

I take my kayak there quite a bit. It's an amazing spot heading out to the mangroves. Loads of dolphins follow you and get very close.

I take my kayak there quite a bit. It's an amazing spot heading out to the mangroves. Loads of dolphins follow you and get very close.
That's why we should get the new draftees out there as part of their induction process. We talk about being a unique club, the PB's a unique design represent our wharves and pylons, so get them to do something no other club can offer in their backyard.

That's why we should get the new draftees out there as part of their induction process. We talk about being a unique club, the PB's a unique design represent our wharves and pylons, so get them to do something no other club can offer in their backyard.

I think SA Kayak runs tours in double kayaks from there. Would be a good idea.

Huge amount of Port projects sparking significant buyer demand
A string of apartment and hotel developments in Port Adelaide are coming to fruition – and buyers are jumping on board.

Paula Thompson

16ec72bb032dff5f47b0a79c81730901

Artist's impression of the $12 million W Apartments project at the site of the Colac Hotel in Port Adelaide. Supplied: Dominion Homes.

A major developer in Port Adelaide feels the area could be the next St Kilda, with significant projects underway and strong residential demand from younger buyers.
While for years the area has been touted as the next Fremantle, Dominion Homes co-owner Tony Luvera believed the feeling in the area was much more akin to Melbourne’s beachside suburb.

“Port Adelaide is really ramping up, there’s more foot traffic every day,” Mr Luvera said.

“It reminds me of St Kilda, because it’s drawing that younger, bohemian crowd.”

Mr Luvera’s company is behind a $12m apartment redevelopment of the former Labor Party-owned Colac Hotel.

He expected demand to be strong for the location, but even he was surprised at how quickly apartments were snapped up.

“All of the 14 apartments were sold in only seven days,” he said.

Mr Luvera said buyers were a mixture of investors and owner occupiers, but he said what really stood out was the age bracket buying.

“The demographic buying in the area is younger people, those in their 30s,” he said.

Dominion is also behind another nearby development – three-storey apartments on Divett Street, which are 80 per cent sold while still under construction.

Other Port Adelaide projects the company is working on including redevelopment of the Farmer Joes’ site, with a mixture of apartments and shops, and high-end townhouses along McLaren Parade, with rooftop areas.

“We’re very passionate about the area and it’s an exciting time to be working here. It’s just getting better every day,” Mr Luvera said.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Huge amount of Port projects sparking significant buyer demand
A string of apartment and hotel developments in Port Adelaide are coming to fruition – and buyers are jumping on board.

Paula Thompson

16ec72bb032dff5f47b0a79c81730901

Artist's impression of the $12 million W Apartments project at the site of the Colac Hotel in Port Adelaide. Supplied: Dominion Homes.

A major developer in Port Adelaide feels the area could be the next St Kilda, with significant projects underway and strong residential demand from younger buyers.
While for years the area has been touted as the next Fremantle, Dominion Homes co-owner Tony Luvera believed the feeling in the area was much more akin to Melbourne’s beachside suburb.

“Port Adelaide is really ramping up, there’s more foot traffic every day,” Mr Luvera said.

“It reminds me of St Kilda, because it’s drawing that younger, bohemian crowd.”

Mr Luvera’s company is behind a $12m apartment redevelopment of the former Labor Party-owned Colac Hotel.

He expected demand to be strong for the location, but even he was surprised at how quickly apartments were snapped up.

“All of the 14 apartments were sold in only seven days,” he said.

Mr Luvera said buyers were a mixture of investors and owner occupiers, but he said what really stood out was the age bracket buying.

“The demographic buying in the area is younger people, those in their 30s,” he said.

Dominion is also behind another nearby development – three-storey apartments on Divett Street, which are 80 per cent sold while still under construction.

Other Port Adelaide projects the company is working on including redevelopment of the Farmer Joes’ site, with a mixture of apartments and shops, and high-end townhouses along McLaren Parade, with rooftop areas.

“We’re very passionate about the area and it’s an exciting time to be working here. It’s just getting better every day,” Mr Luvera said.

Whilst development around the Port is great, it is absolutely nothing like St Kilda. Developers will say anything. STFU.

Sub building is good for the port. Delays and long term uncertainities isn't. Naval Group would be building by now, if their contract wasn't cancelled.

Heard a sparkie on TV say that there were 300 on site before the Naval Group contract was cancelled, now there are only 40.

Land swap deals have been signed, but they need to start spending money on getting stuff fabricated on site otherwise the valley of death trough will again be deep.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back