Development around the Port

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 16, 2006
ge
AFL Club
Fremantle
The fact Freo is geographically a separate area from Perth and Subi with a 20km distance helped. We don't get any advantage of West Lakes and Alberton being 5kms apart.

There's another difference I noticed when I was recently in Port Adelaide - the state of each area. Freo was heavily gentrified in the 80s and is now a place families and young people go out for dinner and drinks. Port is seriously the closest thing I've seen to Detroit in Australia, aside from maybe Port Kembla.

Kids in Perth these days have generally grow up with the notion that Fremantle is a cool suburb to visit and a place of enormous history - it was founded before Perth.

It used to have the impression of being a dodgy area overrun by wharfies and criminals but that is largely gone. My impression is that Port still retains that somewhat, maybe just the sense of being a run down, depressed area.

So I doubt the club can take much credit for its relative popularity. It is the city of Fremantle that draws people to the club, as its one of the few pockets of culture in the endless morass of plastic suburbs with coloured concrete driveways.

Re: Have you heard anything on this?

It does and that's probably why the State Government/Council are trying to force a population increase in and around the Port to allow for a influx of money to the buisnesses. Which will promote upgrades and renovations making it seem more welcoming to the general public to use as a safer place and look a little less like Detroit.

It's the little things that are actually butt-pumping obvious that hold the Port back as well.

If you're a prospective investor/resident, being greeted with "CELEBRATING 150 YEARS IN 1999 - THE OLDEST PUB IN THE PORT!" out the front of an eyesore that's been boarded up for what looks like forever on the corner of the walk to the iconic lighthouse, you're gonna think thrice.

Most of the old factories and pubs need to be demolished for residential and a vibrant commercial precinct, but there's probably a heritage-listed dog s**t and miles of red tape to put paid to any notion of that - a snapshot of what it could one day be is the obvious example of the ubersexy vibrance of Semaphore just minutes away.

Unfortunately, the recent pollution bombshell for Newport Quays is just another nail in the coffin.

There's another difference I noticed when I was recently in Port Adelaide - the state of each area. Freo was heavily gentrified in the 80s and is now a place families and young people go out for dinner and drinks. Port is seriously the closest thing I've seen to Detroit in Australia, aside from maybe Port Kembla. .......
If you mean the actual suburb of Port Adelaide then you are not far wrong. There have been numerous attempts to develop the Port since the early 80's with limited success. The current Newport Quays development, which so far has not actually been in Port Adelaide (Glanville and Ethelton), hasn't really changed the heart of the Port much although the proposed future development on the Port Adelaide side of the river may.

The Port Adelaide Football Club however is based in the suburb of Alberton. The Adelaide Football Corporation is based at West Lakes, built on the Port River swap upstream from Port Misery, and is actually more Port Adelaide then Adelaide.

..... the walk to the iconic lighthouse ...
Which has only been there since the mid 1980's

..... a snapshot of what it could one day be is the obvious example of the ubersexy vibrance of Semaphore just minutes away. .....
Semaphore is just as much "Port Adelaide" as Alberton is. :)

What was this thread about again? :confused:

There's another difference I noticed when I was recently in Port Adelaide - the state of each area. Freo was heavily gentrified in the 80s and is now a place families and young people go out for dinner and drinks. Port is seriously the closest thing I've seen to Detroit in Australia, aside from maybe Port Kembla.

Kids in Perth these days have generally grow up with the notion that Fremantle is a cool suburb to visit and a place of enormous history - it was founded before Perth.

It used to have the impression of being a dodgy area overrun by wharfies and criminals but that is largely gone. My impression is that Port still retains that somewhat, maybe just the sense of being a run down, depressed area.

So I doubt the club can take much credit for its relative popularity. It is the city of Fremantle that draws people to the club, as its one of the few pockets of culture in the endless morass of plastic suburbs with coloured concrete driveways.

That's a very good point Clay. I spent a bit of time in Freo in 1985 and again in 1995 and there was a marked changed. I suspect there is a bigger difference, 16 years later.

The heart of Port Adelaide needs a massive transformation. Semaphore is a little like the shore side of Fremantle, but its a lot smaller.

Having spent 12 months in SA after being away for 18 years and living in the western suburbs for the first time and going for long runs along the beaches and driving along the peninsula I have come to the conclusion you could easily fit in another 1/4 of a million people into a strip from Outer Harbour to the Henley beach.

If that was the case some of that industry north of the Port River would have to be moved. But you need light industry, modern technology type industry rather than heavy industry to move into the area and along come the services and then come the people.

After world war II Port took advantage of the big wave of overseas immigration into the Port area and western suburbs. In 1945 Port wasn't the most popular club. That would have been Norwood and there wouldn't have been much difference between Port and North. The fact Fos Williams brought all that success to Port when you had all that new immigration happening, saw us become the biggest fish in the SANFL pond.

Just like Sydney has Paramatta or North Sydney as alternative CBD's the club needs the Port Adelaide area to become an alternative CBD or business centre that drives people to move into the area.

Which has only been there since the mid 1980's

For everyone my age and under it's synonymous with the area - counting the steps on Maritime Museum excursions ftw!1

Semaphore is just as much "Port Adelaide" as Alberton is. :)

Sure, but in the context of my mentioning it, I was just saying the heart of the Port could be similar to Semmy, that's all.

I guess my fear is, if Port Adelaide proper keeps descending into a dilapidated shithole it will lend more weight to the suits and ponytails who would have us genericised into a brand 'less geographically constricting'.

..... I have come to the conclusion you could easily fit in another 1/4 of a million people into a strip from Outer Harbour to the Henley beach. ...
No #$@% way.

The population density is certainly increasing and I see a lot of houses in West Lakes, which was just a swamp when I was a boy, being demolished and the blocks being divided in two but another 250K into an area that currently houses probably ~50K is not going to happen.

The planning rules would have to change considerably to allow high rise apartment blocks throughout the entire area. A proposal to build a 5 story apartment block at Henley Beach is currently meeting stiff opposition and that is in a position close to existing medium rise apartments.

The entire area of metropolitan Adelaide only has a population of ~1.2M.

..... Sure, but in the context of my mentioning it, I was just saying the heart of the Port could be similar to Semmy, that's all. .....
Understood.

I was more making the point in the context of my response to Clay that there is a lot more to the Port Adelaide area than the small suburb of Port Adelaide.

No #$@% way.

The population density is certainly increasing and I see a lot of houses in West Lakes, which was just a swamp when I was a boy, being demolished and the blocks being divided in two but another 250K into an area that currently houses probably ~50K is not going to happen.

The planning rules would have to change considerably to allow high rise apartment blocks throughout the entire area. A proposal to build a 5 story apartment block at Henley Beach is currently meeting stiff opposition and that is in a position close to existing medium rise apartments.

The strip I mean is a bit wider than just the beach and peninsula head. Effectively if you put a line down the map from Torrens Island so you go down and as east as Woodville and Flinders Park, Underdale and the airport is the natural southern border.

Of course you would need change of planning laws and yes it is going to face stiff opposition, Adelaide being Adelaide, but medium and higher density is coming. Maybe I spent to long in Sydney but all those double story houses with beach frontage or beach view would be followed on the other side of Seaview Rd, the Esplanade, Military Road by 3 story buildings so they have sea views on the top floor if it was Sydney. There are plenty of industrial sites that have just been sitting there doing nothing. The old Elders Smith Wool Store on St Vincent Street could easily be turned into hundreds of apartments if there was more life around the Port. ( They did this with the Elders Wool Store in Pyrmont in Sydney 12 or so years ago).

In the end its a choice for the people who live there, but having lived in a medium and high density part of Sydney as well as the suburbs, there is a lot of space and plenty of potential to go upwards. If it happens with a decent business district like a Parramatta or St Kilda Rd type set up then it's got to be of benefit to our club in the long run.

The strip I mean is a bit wider than just the beach and peninsula head. Effectively if you put a line down the map from Torrens Island so you go down and as east as Woodville and Flinders Park, Underdale and the airport is the natural southern border. .....
OK. That is a much, much bigger area than the one I was picturing in a strip from Henley Beach to Outer Harbour, effectively west of Frederick Road and the Port River. You are also going a couple of suburbs further south to West Beach.

.... The old Elders Smith Wool Store on St Vincent Street could easily be turned into hundreds of apartments ...
If it wasn't so close to a the highly dangerous Incitec Pivot site. :)

I'm fairly sure that turning it into apartments has been proposed before, back when the Port Dock Brewery was being redeveloped in the mid 1980's and the Port was going to boom.

If the Newport Quays Dock 1 development gets going it may finally bring the critical mass to the area to kick things along. Previous efforts haven't been successful.

OK. That is a much, much bigger area than the one I was picturing in a strip from Henley Beach to Outer Harbour, effectively west of Frederick Road and the Port River. You are also going a couple of suburbs further south to West Beach.

Yeah Henley is the area I got to know well but there would be some tapering off between Henley and the airport as they would have to keep part of West beach relatively low because of the flight path.

If it wasn't so close to a the highly dangerous Incitec Pivot site. :)

I'm fairly sure that turning it into apartments has been proposed before, back when the Port Dock Brewery was being redeveloped in the mid 1980's and the Port was going to boom.

If the Newport Quays Dock 1 development gets going it may finally bring the critical mass to the area to kick things along. Previous efforts haven't been successful.

The Incitec Pivot and Brighton Cement plant would have to move. I love how its safe for the existing residents to be in the path of being blown up, but now that expensive new buildings are being considered, it isn't safe anymore. ;)

The 30 Year Plan for Greater Adelaide is proposing 42,560 net additional housing and 83,000 net additional population for 'Western Adelaide'. The majority of this increase will be within major transit corridors such as Port Road/Victoria road through Largs, Taperoo and Outer Harbour. It includes corridors through to West Lakes and Grange, as well as other corridors such as through to Henley Beach.

There one major issue in all of this. The Adelaide Brighton Cement Company.

The Port is done for once and for all if the planned redevelopment along the river up to the Diver bridge goes ahead.

No one is going to build a house or move to an apartment in an area which boasts more late night quakes than Christchurch and the state of California combined. And an area where the day after you've washed your car its covered in a fine dust that turns to cement if you dare put water on it.

It's stuffed.

There's another difference I noticed when I was recently in Port Adelaide - the state of each area. Freo was heavily gentrified in the 80s and is now a place families and young people go out for dinner and drinks. Port is seriously the closest thing I've seen to Detroit in Australia, aside from maybe Port Kembla..

Yeah. I wish Alan Bond was a South Australian before he won the Americas Cup. I have seen the same transformation over in Auckland NZ when they first won it.

The Incitec Pivot and Brighton Cement plant would have to move. I love how its safe for the existing residents to be in the path of being blown up, but now that expensive new buildings are being considered, it isn't safe anymore. ;)

Yes again. I built in the area recently with no information that there was any danger. There is a development in Todd Street going on right now that has not been stopped, but which was started after all this other information coming out that Incotec/ABC etc was dangerous. Todd Street borders the proposed Newport Quays development. It is a known fact down this way that Newport Quays and the PA Enfield Council are not real good friends and that anything submitted by the Quays is unlikely to get a future, whereas if you or I approached them, its full bore onwards (as in my case).

No one is going to build a house or move to an apartment in an area which boasts more late night quakes than Christchurch and the state of California combined.

Hi Rory. As much as I have enjoyed your posts in the past, I feel I must pull you up on this one. I think it is somewhat in bad taste to take the tragedies of others (in this case Aussies as well) to try and make a statement. How many late night quakes over magnitude 4 have you experienced in the last 24 hours (indeed over any magnitude - passing road trains don't register!). I bet its not in the double figures whereas Christchurch is getting 20 - 30 + a day.

I grew up just north of Christchurch, and believe it or not, Christchurch is not really known for earthquakes (in NZ terms). That one last September and now this big aftershock has taken everyone by surprise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey Rory. My personal and heartfelt apologies for my previous thread. I was somewhat emotional at the time having just finally gotten an email from my sister in Christchurch. She, her hubby and two little kids are all well thank goodness. She had travelled some distance to a friends place to get internet acess. It was sobering to read that they still have no electricity, no water, no sewerage and no phone but that they are all safe and well, unlike some of their friends.

Must make a note to myself to never again write a post if emotional and after taking the top off a second bottle of red :eek:

And then yesterday, a family group and a few selected friends, myself included, met up at Alberton to scatter the ashes of a very good mate who passed recently. We did the centre square, goal squares, and the wing areas in front of where he stood over the many years. A good mate who never missed a home game and travelled often interstate to follow the PAFC. He was looking forward to the 'double header' at AAMI.

Fantastic of the club to allow this, and it was a joyous occasion (given the circumstances), because we have now laid him to rest where his heart lay.

I didn't mean to offend Pakeha. It was an inappropriate comparison to make, especially so soon after the incident but I was just trying to make a point that the cement factory makes it feel like there's a truck driving through your kitchen at times. I'm happy to hear they all if well with your relos over in Christchurch :thumbsu:

I didn't mean to offend Pakeha. It was an inappropriate comparison to make, especially so soon after the incident but I was just trying to make a point that the cement factory makes it feel like there's a truck driving through your kitchen at times. I'm happy to hear they all if well with your relos over in Christchurch :thumbsu:

Thanks Rory for both your understanding and thoughts.

And I apologize to all members for getting off topic.

However, I wonder if any others have had experiences re the spreading of ashes on the hallowed turf of Alberton. We were lead to believe that it was a no no these days, and yet the club were very accommodating. (again getting off topic :eek: sorry).

Port is seriously the closest thing I've seen to Detroit in Australia, aside from maybe Port Kembla.

Having spent a fair bit of time in Port Adelaide and also having lived in Detroit for about 3 years this couldn't be further from the truth.

You wouldn't ever get out of your car if you were within 9 miles of Detroit in fear of getting attacked.

Port Adelaide is no ghetto.

Some of you wont get this but a strong viabrant Port Adelaide area and Lefevre Peninsula means a strong PAFC. Some fantastic news earlier today.

First look at Port revamp

123261-port-adelaide.jpg

The first glimpses of a revitalised Port Adelaide . The plans propose new open public spaces around Harts Mill and Dock1 featuring BBQs and play areas, and a bike and walking path around the inner harbour

DESIGNS for a revamped Port Adelaide have been released, showing lawns and low-level housing surrounding Dock One and the Hart's Mill precinct.

The State Government released the images this week ahead of a community open day on Sunday, October 7, to discuss the plans.

Other ideas include a playground and motorhome park at Dock One.
It means a previously proposed upgrade of Black Diamond Corner, which featured a town square-style precinct, would be delayed, if the public agree.
Port Adelaide MP Susan Close (ALP) said the Government was considering housing up to three or four storeys high around Hart's Mill and Dock One.
122615-port-adelaide.jpg

The Port open day will feature free family entertainment and tours of sites identified in the plans, including Hart's Mill and Cruickshank's Corner.
The open day will be held at a marquee under the lighthouse, at the end of Commercial Rd, on Sunday, October 7, from 9am-4pm.
View the plans online at www.portadelaiderenewal.sa.gov.au
First look at Port revamp

More good news for the Port. The SA Aviation Museum down at the Port has a new attraction.

Former RAAF 'pigs' go to new homes

SIX of the RAAF's now retired F-111 strike bombers, affectionately referred to as "pigs", are set to go on display at aircraft museums and historical organisations across Australia.

The successful organisations are the Aviation Historical Society of the Northern Territory; Evans Head Memorial Aerodrome Heritage Aviation Association; Fighter World, Williamtown, NSW; Historical Aircraft Restoration Society; Queensland Air Museum; and the South Australian Aviation Museum.

More good news for the Port. The SA Aviation Museum down at the Port has a new attraction.

SIX of the RAAF's now retired F-111 strike bombers, affectionately referred to as "pigs", are set to go on display at aircraft museums and historical organisations across Australia.

The successful organisations are the Aviation Historical Society of the Northern Territory; Evans Head Memorial Aerodrome Heritage Aviation Association; Fighter World, Williamtown, NSW; Historical Aircraft Restoration Society; Queensland Air Museum; and the South Australian Aviation Museum.

Will definitely make a trip to see these.

It's underestimated how important it is to have a thriving Port area for our club. There is no reason that Port Adelaide shouldn't be a popular place to live and visit, as after all it has the advantage of being situated on the water and has a lot of great historical architecture and history.

Over here in Perth, Fremantle has a thriving day and night scene, lots of markets and big parks to visit, breweries and hip cafes, pubs and restaurants everywhere. While there is still an element of crime after dark, the place as a whole conjures positive connotations for the Fremantle name and is a place of cultural significance the people of Perth can be proud of, which in turn has a similar effect no doubt for the brand of their football club.

My hope is that a similar gentrification process and development of the Port region can take place so we see this transformation of the Port Adelaide name occur as well.

It's underestimated how important it is to have a thriving Port area for our club. There is no reason that Port Adelaide shouldn't be a popular place to live and visit, as after all it has the advantage of being situated on the water and has a lot of great historical architecture and history.

Over here in Perth, Fremantle has a thriving day and night scene, lots of markets and big parks to visit, breweries and hip cafes, pubs and restaurants everywhere. While there is still an element of crime after dark, the place as a whole conjures positive connotations for the Fremantle name and is a place of cultural significance the people of Perth can be proud of, which in turn has a similar effect no doubt for the brand of their football club.

My hope is that a similar gentrification process and development of the Port region can take place so we see this transformation of the Port Adelaide name occur as well.

We need the population pressure for the gentrification. Unfortunately there is so much spare land north and south for new housing that the pressure is not evident. The initiative to build flats in the city is a start with the no stamp duty clause but it's a long way from reaching the Port properly. The st. Clair development will also suck up most people wanting to live near that area.

We need the population pressure for the gentrification. Unfortunately there is so much spare land north and south for new housing that the pressure is not evident. The initiative to build flats in the city is a start with the no stamp duty clause but it's a long way from reaching the Port properly. The st. Clair development will also suck up most people wanting to live near that area.

That whole corridor from Bowden down to Cheltenham should/could be a prime real estate strip. Hopefully the development at Bowden and what's happening in and around Croydon spreads towards the coast.

From the Our Port website newsletter, the biggest impairment to developing Port Adelaide and surrounding areas will be removed from January with the moving of Incitec Pivot fertiliser plant to another site, first the storage of potentially dangerous chemicals and then the whole plant.

A strong vibrant port with lots of new housing development, new commercial development near the current heart of Port Adelaide, and the revitalisation of existing shops pubs businesses etc, and then more commercial development up the peninsula will be great for shoring up the club' future.

Fertiliser plant to move in continuing revival of Port Adelaide

Fertiliser plant Incitec Pivot will move its operations out of Port Adelaide to a new South Australian facility, under a State Government policy aimed at reviving Port Adelaide with more people, new homes and more jobs in the area.

From next year, calcium ammonium nitrate will no longer be stored at the Port Adelaide site, which along the with the agreement to move, will remove a substantial barrier to development in and around the harbour.
Premier Jay Weatherill today released the State Government’s Our Port policy – the latest in its series of Building a Stronger South Australia policies.
“We have a vision for the Port that celebrates its maritime past and future, its attractiveness as a tourism destination and its desirability as a place to live, not just visit,” Mr Weatherill said.
“One of the key initiatives is the move of Incitec Pivot so it can continue serving the South Australian market from a new South Australian facility.
“This move will send a strong positive message about the future renewal of Port Adelaide.”
A precinct plan is being finalised as the first step towards rezoning the Port through a Development Plan Amendment, which will allow for future development.
The plan will be released early in the New Year once it has been refined to take into account Incitec Pivot’s relocation.
A number of new projects will be added to the many activation projects already happening at the Port. Projects designed to help regenerate the waterfront, St Vincent Street and Commercial Road areas include:
- Streetscape improvements to parking, walkways and general amenity on key streets.
- Repair and refurbishment of the Flour Shed in the Hart’s Mill precinct.
- State Government support for entrepreneurs and business people through the Adelaide Business Hub at the Port.
- Continuing to establish new events at the Port to create vibrancy, revitalise the local economy and encourage community participation.
The State Government is in discussion with the Port Adelaide Enfield Council about collaboration on further activation projects at the Port and will contribute half of the cost of these projects. The council will be asked to match that contribution.
The State Government also will make a berth available at Dock One for the City of Adelaide clipper ship to be moored after its expected arrival in Adelaide in mid-January.
The City of Adelaide, built in England and launched in 1864, transported passengers and goods between Britain and Australia and carried many families who migrated to South Australia.
Dock One will be a temporary home while the State Government works with the City of Adelaide Preservation Trust to develop a joint business case for a more permanent location.
“Docking the ship in the inner harbour will allow the public to view the ship after it makes its journey to South Australia,” Mr Weatherill said.
Under the plans to bring more people to the Port, the State Government is advancing plans to lease office accommodation for government employees.
“Hundreds of government employees will relocate to the Port which will make the Port centre more attractive,” Mr Weatherill said.
“This will increase local employment, increase spending in local shops, support establishment of new businesses and attract other employers to do the same.
“Employees from different government agencies will work together on Port Adelaide-specific issues such as marine, waste and environmental management.”
Soon after becoming Premier in 2011, Mr Weatherill unveiled the government’s vision for Port Adelaide’s revitalisation.
“Now we are unveiling a plan for its future,” he said.
“Under this plan, there will be new homes, more people, more jobs, greater public and private investment and new shops in once-empty buildings.
“In the longer-term, trams will provide efficient access to jobs and services along the route and deliver more tourists to the Port, stimulating further development opportunities.
“Our plan has been shaped by the people who live in and love the Port – a strong community that makes the Port so special.”
To find out more, download the Our Port policy document.

From page 11 of that document linked above. The whole document

Incitec Pivot will move its
operations out of the Port to
a new facility in South Australia
to continue serving the South
Australian market.

From January, calcium ammonium
nitrate will no longer be stored at
the Port Adelaide site.

The company will remain at its
current site while the new facility
is planned and constructed.