All Australian
Suspended
Jul 3, 2007
Tasmania
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
All Football teams
As no-one goes to the Devils thread anymore I thought I would create a new one.

To all VFL clubs/sponsors/administrators/supporters

The Tassie Devils is very close to officially folding.

This is not being written by a mad/frustrated nong who doesn't know or understand the facts, more someone who is close to the action and can see reality as the writing is on the wall.

Pressure is mounting on the administration in Tasmania to announce just where they will spend their bucks on football in this state. The options are prop up the Devils or go with The Mariners (u18's) or a Statewide League consisting of the stronger clubs from Hobart, Launceston, Burnie and Devonport.

The administration wouldn't have a clue what to do and is in a spin as it has lost the support of the wider football community in Tasmania. It will however continue to play a straight bat and tell Andrew that all is OK and to the VFL that it will be there from 2009 and beyond.

But mark my word, the s... is about to hit the fan, the truth will come out and those running the show will have the curtain come down on them, sooner rather than later.

The Tassie Devils will leave us with some special memories and it will be sad to see them go.

But reality is it was never run as a club, could never make up its mind if it was a truly Tasmanian or Hobart team, was run by people who were only good at playing the game and the result - well history well tell us that.

So to the VFL, thank you for the opportunity, we (the Tasmanian Football public) are embarrassed to say the least, we wish the Port Melbourne's and Sandy's all the very best and the comp and all those involved a great future.

Signed

A typical Tasmanian football punter

No great loss, especially given the way they turned their back on being a state team.
This - if true - might show the real reason for the statewide league push, and why its been hurreid without any thought whatsoever.

A state league (if run properly and on a solid footing) is better than the Devils anyway, if it can be done. Its much beter to focus on football in the state than prop up the Victorian league that has been cheapened by clubs having so many players whose main aim is not to be playing at that club.
The big problem with SW was that the opriginal proposal was so stupid. Now AFL Tas have been brought kicking and screaming to something a bit more sensible (Sandy Bay, too many teams, ridiculous travel rules re NW and southern clubs, and a few other things aside); but alienated everyone along the way to the point where it can't happen (and they can't be trusted to run the show even if the set-up was good). It could never have happened by 2009, but even with a broom going through AFL Tas and new management it still couldn't (and shouldn't) happen before 2011 to give clubs and leagues enough time to sort out their adjustments.

I hope you are right Duff TV. You are certainly right on about your views regarding the administration.

I am warming to the SWL and maybe hope now, with no devils, that it could be able to get up and running in 2010.

The AFL needs to take some leadership here and undertake a no holes barred administrative review of AFL Tas going right back to the start. This should include a look at all people involved and their personal and football administration history.

More recently AFL should ask why AFL Tas:

1. Put an earlier SWL proposal to the clubs that required new clubs being formed? (How ridiculous was that?);
2. Put another proposal to the clubs that left too many questions unanswered which the clubs obviously wouldn't approve?;and
3. Why didn't AFL Tas say in their later proposal in (2) above that , as I understand it, they were prepared to see the Devils fold in the interest of the SWL getting up.

The matter in (3) above only came out after some clubs in Hobart didn't accept the SWL proposal in the format that was then on the table. If AFL Tas had the interest of football in this state at heart rather than their own self preservation they would have laid all their cards on the table first up.

AFL Tas stated that the AFL endorsed the proposal put to the clubs in (2) above but I wouldn't mind betting that they suggested to AFL Tas that they needed to do more work but if they wanted to try their luck with the clubs then they would publicly give their support. If the AFL didn't suggest to the AFL Tas more work was required then I would question their competency.

Developments will be most interesting.

The AFL wants the Devils to continue.

The Devils will continue.

Wadey mentioning that he would fold them if it meant the SWL would go ahead was a shameless publicity stunt. Because he knows the funding for the state is tied to both the Devils and a future State League existing.

• Banned
Devils or Statewide its pretty straight forward

Devils and Statewide can't co-exist nor can we have competitions that are so uneven year in year out.

Something has to give so unless the AFL tips another $500,000 pa into this then either the Devils go or statewide is a no no.

AFL TAS must stand up and show true leadership.

The Devils will continue.

Wadey mentioning that he would fold them if it meant the SWL would go ahead was a shameless publicity stunt. Because he knows the funding for the state is tied to both the Devils and a future State League existing.

Bartlett was at training on Thursday and was talking about the devils going but I agree with you Ozguy. AFL Tas would be in breach of contract with both the VFL and Federal Hotels group for a start. They only signed a five year deal with the VFL and a two year deal with Federal this year. Not to mention all their other sponsors and devils specific funding.
"25th March 2008
Federal Group Director Entertainment and Gaming, Mr John Mortensen, launched a new sponsorship agreement with AFL Tasmania, accepting a two year option to extend their naming rights sponsorship of the Wrest Point Tasmanian Devils – refer attached Media Release from the Federal Group.
In response to the above announcement, General Manager AFL Tasmania, Scott Wade, said:
"The decision of the Federal Group to extend their two year option as naming rights sponsor of the Wrest Point Tasmanian Devils has essentially secured the future of the Tasmanian Devils in the VFL competition for the next two years."
http://www-static.sportingpulse.com/pics/52/29/5229997_firstfileFILE.doc

"September 18, 2007
The formation of a Centre of Excellence, a $250,000 increased AFL grant, a 50 per cent increased salary cap and closer ties with the Hawthorn Football Club are all key ingredients to lifting the Devils off the bottom of the VFL ladder.
AFL Tasmania chairman Dominic Baker announced yesterday the Devils would be staying in the VFL long-term.
"We will sign a (VFL) licence for five years.
"Once we have got this program set up and working well and we have a successful club inside that competition, I think we will be there for a very long time." "

Good riddance to the Devils if they fold! :mad:

With any luck the Mariners will follow!:mad:

God help us with the State League. The SAME bunch of FOOLS that couldn't run the Devils losers and the Mariners losers are going to run and ULTIMATELY STUFF UP THE STATE LEAGUE..............AGAIN!!!!! :mad:

Good riddance to the Devils if they fold! :mad:

With any luck the Mariners will follow!:mad:

God help us with the State League. The SAME bunch of FOOLS that couldn't run the Devils losers and the Mariners losers are going to run and ULTIMATELY STUFF UP THE STATE LEAGUE..............AGAIN!!!!! :mad:
if there was no mariners no devils and no statewide league what hope would a young tassie kid have,YOU sound like a fool making those coments. STICK TO READING YOUR COMICS AND LEAVE THE FOOTY TALK TO US

if there was no mariners no devils and no statewide league what hope would a young tassie kid have,YOU sound like a fool making those coments. STICK TO READING YOUR COMICS AND LEAVE THE FOOTY TALK TO US
Spot on we need apathway of some sort, maybe the Mariners back in the TAC cup or certainly more games anyway, looks like she will be some form of State League next year, plenty of good kids running around in various comps that need exposure at a higher level

How many players made VFL/AFL before Devils and Mariners came about? HEAPS!

The percentage has DROPPED considerably since the Devils and Mariners came about.

YOU ARE a fool making comments that you know NOTHING about.

Leave FOOTY TALK TO PEOPLE LIKE YOU??? DON'T THINK SO!

The percentage has DROPPED considerably since the Devils and Mariners came about.

some great use of colour there MARVELDC, must have learnt that in pre GC17 kinder plastacine class???

You are correct these snoozers at AFL Tas run things into the ground but there should be in this day and age a pathway, the old days were fruitful but more opportunity, now every teenage footballer dreams of playing AFL and being drafted. I don't disagree that Wade may screw it up again but something needs to change, maybe if Wade and Co were more accountable to a higher power then things may change, Maybe the AFL should audit AFL Tas operations, what a mess that would be!

and how many would make it if there were no pathway??? the answer is even less. nice use of pretty colours though well done. what do u sujest they do to increase the tassie players chances to get draughted then marvel????

Future of the Devils

The state will lose it's most talented footballers if the Devils participation in the VFL is scrapped at seasons end.

Clubs from interstate have begun contacting players, as AFL Tasmania looks certain to abandon the club in favour of a State wide League. He's been there since day one and after eight years of blood sweat and tears Brett Geappen's beginning to prepare for life after the Tassie Devils.

With AFL Tasmania revealing there isn't the money in the bank to finance both a state wide league and a side in the countries second best competition. The clubs inspirational skipper is set to leave the state if the devils become extinct.

And he's not alone...

With the interstate recruits already planning to head home...the local contingent is also rumoured to be preparing to migrate with Victorian and South Australian clubs offers more tempting than the spoils of next seasons proposed competition.

AFL Tasmania refused to comment on the future of the club today a board meeting tomorrow night is expected to determine the Devils future.

But with two games remaining, the skipper is calling for honesty.

The Devils play their final match of the 2008 season against Box Hill next weekend.
http://www.wintv.com.au/news.php?art_id=453291

(Log in to remove this ad.)

and how many would make it if there were no pathway??? the answer is even less. nice use of pretty colours though well done. what do u sujest they do to increase the tassie players chances to get draughted then marvel????[/quote

Have to disagree. If you honestly believe that our pathways are getting kids drafted you are sadly mistaken. The amount of bullshit that is fed to the kids is a joke. The winners are the hanger oners that gabble on like they are in control of seasoned AFL players yet these kids are 16 to 18 tears old. It does not matter whether you go through the system or not. If you are good enough you will be picked up regardless. The sooner the kids and their parents realise this the better and may i say they will be a lot better prepared. Any one know whether the u/16 state side will allow Weller and Russell to play in the finals for the Dockers or will they be told to rest up for their game on AFL grand final day. Players were drafted long before we had these pathways as they called them. Back then it was all based on talent, and the ability to find and use the ball or has the pathways changed this. Treat them like men not like littte balarinas for christ sake.

Future of the Devils

The state will lose it's most talented footballers if the Devils participation in the VFL is scrapped at seasons end.

Clubs from interstate have begun contacting players, as AFL Tasmania looks certain to abandon the club in favour of a State wide League. He's been there since day one and after eight years of blood sweat and tears Brett Geappen's beginning to prepare for life after the Tassie Devils.

With AFL Tasmania revealing there isn't the money in the bank to finance both a state wide league and a side in the countries second best competition. The clubs inspirational skipper is set to leave the state if the devils become extinct.

And he's not alone...

With the interstate recruits already planning to head home...the local contingent is also rumoured to be preparing to migrate with Victorian and South Australian clubs offers more tempting than the spoils of next seasons proposed competition.

AFL Tasmania refused to comment on the future of the club today a board meeting tomorrow night is expected to determine the Devils future.

But with two games remaining, the skipper is calling for honesty.

The Devils play their final match of the 2008 season against Box Hill next weekend.
http://www.wintv.com.au/news.php?art_id=453291

I feel for the players that have put the hard yards in. The improvement of some of them is testiment to all the hard work they have endured. But once again the administration of AFL Tas have let even more people down. This time our very best players. When are we ever going to make the sewer rats that control football in Tasmania accountable.

and how many would make it if there were no pathway??? the answer is even less. nice use of pretty colours though well done. what do u sujest they do to increase the tassie players chances to get draughted then marvel????[/quote

Have to disagree. If you honestly believe that our pathways are getting kids drafted you are sadly mistaken. The amount of bullshit that is fed to the kids is a joke. The winners are the hanger oners that gabble on like they are in control of seasoned AFL players yet these kids are 16 to 18 tears old. It does not matter whether you go through the system or not. If you are good enough you will be picked up regardless. The sooner the kids and their parents realise this the better and may i say they will be a lot better prepared. Any one know whether the u/16 state side will allow Weller and Russell to play in the finals for the Dockers or will they be told to rest up for their game on AFL grand final day. Players were drafted long before we had these pathways as they called them. Back then it was all based on talent, and the ability to find and use the ball or has the pathways changed this. Treat them like men not like littte balarinas for christ sake.

I agree with you NW, let the boys ( they are only boys still ) play.
they are more than good enough so they should play. The one thing i would add to your comment on being good enough is that timing and what clubs need also comes into it. especially this year with the gold coast having all these early picks, i think it goes something like picks 1,3,5,7,9,14,15,19,20 or something like that, having said that from all reports Mav is a certain starter for the AIS academy along with a few other boys that could make the grade. good on em , and yeah in my opinion Mav is good enough and will go. nice article too by the way.

I agree with you NW, let the boys ( they are only boys still ) play.
they are more than good enough so they should play. The one thing i would add to your comment on being good enough is that timing and what clubs need also comes into it. especially this year with the gold coast having all these early picks, i think it goes something like picks 1,3,5,7,9,14,15,19,20 or something like that, having said that from all reports Mav is a certain starter for the AIS academy along with a few other boys that could make the grade. good on em , and yeah in my opinion Mav is good enough and will go. nice article too by the way.

Mav has already been selected in the AIS. Article? What are you on about Igor.

Mav has already been selected in the AIS. Article? What are you on about Igor.

forgive me

i thought it was annouced this week sometime???

well done Mav.

article it reads quite nicely your comments with regards to the pathway getting or not getting people drafted, seems as if you have some well constructed comments and you finger to key and i would assume pen to paper quite well.
is it not cool to compliment someone o there writing ability? credit where its due i say!

forgive me

i thought it was annouced this week sometime???

well done Mav.

article it reads quite nicely your comments with regards to the pathway getting or not getting people drafted, seems as if you have some well constructed comments and you finger to key and i would assume pen to paper quite well.
is it not cool to compliment someone o there writing ability? credit where its due i say!

I have plenty of spare time on my hands as you would appreciate Igor

Anger rises at Devils' demise
BRETT STUBBS
August 26, 2008 12:00am
THE Devils first chairman and their favourite son have both lambasted AFL Tasmania's handling of the team that will see the side play its last game on Sunday.
Doug Davey, who was chairman from 2001 to 2003, and 102-game former champion and best and fairest winner Ben Atkin were both angry and bitterly disappointed that AFL Tasmania has let the Devils slide into oblivion in favour of a State League for next season.

Both believe the Devils have been mishandled in recent years, going from three consecutive finals series from 2003-05 -- including third in 2004 -- in front of 12,000 fans at home finals and massive public support, to possible consecutive wooden spooners and little public backing.

Davey said the decision to dump the Devils board so AFL Tasmania could run the team was instrumental in the collapse, as well as the failure to develop a club culture or base for the side.

"It was always my view and I thought the AFL's view that AFL Tasmania was responsible for all football in Tasmania, not one club," Davey said yesterday.

"But AFL Tasmania, by its own admission, said the Devils were the jewel in their crown and didn't want to let it go.

"Generally boards face up to their accountabilities -- in relation to the Devils they have failed.

"While the local football clubs have got no choice but to join in with AFL Tasmania, you would still worry about AFL Tasmania's board's commitment, its communication, its clarity, its transparency and what the future is going to hold.

"Most boards that fail their members don't stay in place."

Atkin, a three-time member of the VFL team of the year and considered the heart and soul of the Devils, is still seething about AFL Tasmania's decision to join in a partial alignment with North Melbourne in 2006.

The union only lasted two seasons and cost a lot of local talent and support.

"The worst thing they ever did was go with the North Melbourne alliance," Atkin said yesterday.

"It turned a lot of people away. It even alienated the players a bit . . . it wasn't the same any more.

"It was more of 'us against them' when we were really up and going and playing in the finals. But when we joined with North Melbourne it went downhill.

"They didn't care whether we won or lost, all they wanted to do was get themselves in the North melbourne senior side. It wasn't a team after that."

He said it was due to the alliance he retired at the end of the 2006 season, and why Ian Callinan and Nathan Grima both went to South Australia.

Atkin is upset that a concept he put so much effort and energy into is now destined for the scrap heap.

Body: "It was mini-AFL, you travelled every second week, you stayed in hotels, even playing up north was good," he said.

"Good crowds, good support, people know you. When you walked down the street people knew who you were.

"It is going to be sad to see that go."

Davey also said AFL Tasmania should be held accountable for the appointment of Daryn Cresswell as coach.

Cresswell led the Devils to their first wooden spoon last season, and walked out halfway through this season and fled the country, leaving behind financial problems.

"It is easy to be wise after the event, but any reasonable due diligence over that selection process would determine it was a poor decision," Davey said.

"I do think they are accountable for those sorts of things."

He said if the decision to dump the Devils was solely financial, he called on the AFL and the Tasmanian Government to increase funding to keep the team alive.
http://www.news.com.au/mercury/story/0,22884,24242809-13222,00.html

Get local club to 'fill void'
BRETT STUBBS
August 26, 2008 12:00am
DEVILS coach Lance Spaulding has urged a local club to fill the void in the VFL when AFL Tasmania kills off the state's VFL program.
The introduction of the State League will see the extinction of the Devils, with their last game to be on Sunday against Box Hill at Bellerive.

But Spaulding believes a local club should step into the VFL and could be stronger and more successful than the Devils.

"I would hope maybe a sponsor out there and a local football club might say, 'we'll take it on'," Spaulding said yesterday.

"I can see no reason why it wouldn't work."

Spaulding said the new VFL club would have no problem attracting former Devils players.

"If the sponsorship was there -- $600,000 or whatever it costs -- to have, whether it be a Launceston or a Burnie or a Northern Bombers or a Clarence or North Hobart, Glenorchy whatever, to have one side take it on and go into the VFL, you would have the best players around Tasmania wanting to come and play in that club and maybe you could have a statewide side as well," he said.

He said a set up like North Ballarat -- the team that defeated the Devils last Saturday -- could be better than what the Devils program is at present.

"I don't run this organisation so I'm not aware of all the bits and pieces that you need to make it work," he said.

"But I think the club structure like the one we played on the weekend is an ideal set-up."

Spaulding said the last time the Devils jumper would be seen in the VFL would obviously be a motivation for his side. "But it won't be our focus, our focus will be on getting everything right to present the right type of game to beat Box Hill," he said.
http://www.news.com.au/mercury/story/0,22884,24242827-13222,00.html

I don't give a rat's arse what anyone else here with a negative attitude towards the Devils or some bizarre vendetta against Scott Wade has to say on the subject - it alters the reality not one iota:

Because today, I lost my footy team.

I don't give a rat's arse what anyone else here with a negative attitude towards the Devils or some bizarre vendetta against Scott Wade has to say on the subject - it alters the reality not one iota:

Because today, I lost my footy team.

The Devil players should tell the administrators that they won't be playing this week. After all the time and effort some of the players and support staff have put in it must be disappointing. Show them the same loyality and respect they gave you when it counted. Show the rest of Australia what sort of idiots we have running football in this state. Make a stand. F#$ck em

I only knew about this today from having a look at the Mercury site, and I must say I was surprised as I thought a lot of the reasoning behind the SWL was to provide a decent league to prop up the Devils. So we are back to where we were in 1986, and probably learnt nothing on the way. Personally I feel that we may as well make the most of the North/South rivalry and have a team from each region in the VFL, and then possibly we could prove that we have the passion and the nous to run an AFL team. At the moment Andy D would be chuckling and shaking his head at the feeble attempts at footy administration in Tasmania.

BTW i agree that the North Melbourne alignment was beyond stupid.

$1m Devils lifeline bid
JAMES BRESNEHAN
August 27, 2008 12:00am
AFL Tasmania will consider asking the AFL for $1 million to save the Tasmanian Devils VFL team from extinction.
The decision to try and throw the Devils a lifeline came after the AFL's annual strategic meeting in Melbourne yesterday.

Tasmanian officials met with AFL game development manager David Matthews to outline its plan for a state league and talk about Tasmania's annual grant of $1.5 million a year.

It costs about $1 million to run the Tasmanian Football Club, which runs the Devils.

AFL Tasmania's general manager Scott Wade said the $1 million lifeline was not requested at yesterday's meeting.

"At this point we haven't asked for additional funding. We may ask for more money, we may not," Wade said.

"The meeting was to inform the AFL what our priority is, and that is clearly the establishment of a new state league for the whole state," Wade said.

"We've still got a whole range of issues to work on in terms of strategy and budget."

AFL Tasmania has made it clear it cannot afford to fund a state league and the Devils.

So the VFL side, once the flagship of Tasmanian football, will go.

It conflicts with AFL Tasmania's original intention to start a state league to underpin the Devils program.

The 10 clubs invited to join the inaugural state league in 2009 have until September 23 to officially sign on.

That means the Tasmanian Devils go into their final 2008 home-and-away game against Box Hill at Bellerive on Sunday not knowing whether it will be the club's last game.

Wade addressed the players at training at Bellerive last night, but could not confirm their club was doomed.

"I'm not going to say exactly what I talked to the players about, but I didn't tell them it would definitely be their last game," Wade said.

"In general terms, I outlined our strategy and the likely scenario. But as we speak today, there is no state league."

He said the AFL liked what it heard about the state league.

"We outlined the fact that our strategy was to form a new state league that will build into a quality competition that is representative of the whole state," Wade said. "The AFL was supportive of our strategy."

Wade said Devils coach Lance Spaulding's call for a local club to take up the VFL licence was romantic.

"It's a $1 million a year exercise to run a VFL side, where's a local club going to find that money?" he said.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back