Opinion Did Gubby Stuff up Collingwood over Pre-Season?

Remove this Banner Ad

There were heaps of people here on the Mayne train early days.

I remember having an argument with the usual suspects about him.
My favourite was people cheering about him taking over a KPF role from White.

Srsly wtf

If that's true the turnaround for both is pretty crazy.

If gubby was as good as you're saying, don't know how the hell he thought Mayne and to a lesser extent wells were good ideas at those contract terms.

And no sos is not just saving face from GWS players, he has drafted very well the last 2 years. Again a very big turnaround if he was as bad as you're saying he was at gws.
He has drafted well, but that's because he is following the GWS blueprint. Smart option.

In terms of Mayne and Gubby- who knows? There must be more to it. Gubby is a pretty shrewd operator.

Whens does his suspension end again?

Does he officially return before or after our draft and trade periods?

It doesn't matter Walshy will be responsible for this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

October 20 was the last day of trade week and verdict was November 14 or 15.

Might be back just before the national draft, but will probably miss trade week.

October 20 was the last day of trade week and verdict was November 14 or 15.

Might be back just before the national draft, but will probably miss trade week.
Gee I hope so.
Nick Suban is a free agent:rolleyes:

To me yes, we traded like a club who had finished in the eight looking for another roll of the dice. We traded for the next season and not much beyond and its bitten us on the a$$ big time.

The Mayne deal will be talked about for generations to come. Through the 70's we had a history of bringing in burnt out hacks like Laurie Sandilands, Slammin Sammy Keckovich, Rotten Ronnie Andrews, Micky Irwin, all champs in their day who were broken, busted and done by the time they got to us, we were their retirement funds.

Then there was the legendary Greame Teasdale trade and the Butch Edwards trade, two players that everyone in Melbourne knew had stuffed knees expect apparently anyone at Collingwood.

The Teasdale jokes went on for about 20 years, to do a 'Mayne' will enter into the lexicon of Collingwood putdowns and football humour the minute he is delisted -we will still be explaining where it came from to our grand kids.

To me yes, we traded like a club who had finished in the eight looking for another roll of the dice. We traded for the next season and not much beyond and its bitten us on the a$$ big time.

The Mayne deal will be talked about for generations to come. Through the 70's we had a history of bringing in burnt out hacks like Laurie Sandilands, Slammin Sammy Keckovich, Rotten Ronnie Andrews, Micky Irwin, all champs in their day who were broken, busted and done by the time they got to us, we were their retirement funds.

Then there was the legendary Greame Teasdale trade and the Butch Edwards trade, two players that everyone in Melbourne knew had stuffed knees expect apparently anyone at Collingwood.

The Teasdale jokes went on for about 20 years, to do a 'Mayne' will enter into the lexicon of Collingwood putdowns and football humour the minute he is delisted -we will still be explaining where it came from to our grand kids.

I'm certainly on the same page, but I'd like to point out that Mayne was nowhere near a champ. He was a role player on the same decline as those champs! It was ridiculously irresponsible list management.

I'm a late comer to this thread.

Gubby certainly didn't help, but we were stuffed before he got here.

I'm certainly on the same page, but I'd like to point out that Mayne was nowhere near a champ. He was a role player on the same decline as those champs! It was ridiculously irresponsible list management.

In all fairness kicking 40 goals playing for a Ross Lyon coached team isn't easy, I would have thought he would have been as hungry as anything in a normal team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back