TheKanga

Brownlow Medallist
May 31, 2011
Hobart
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Melbourne City
i'd focus on getting the eating part right first without worrying too much about the exercise bit.

just do something you enjoy for as long and as hard as you feel like. play around with it for a bit, get a better understanding of your body and how far you can push it. once you figure out what works for you then you can get more specific from there, but i wouldnt get too hung up on calorie burn in the beginning.

as long as you're having a go and getting into the habit of exercising everything else will happen eventually.

weight loss is mostly about food intake. exercise is just the cream on top (full fat cream)

Yeah true baby steps and all of that, i also have to be careful i don't get an injury by getting into jogging & running to soon.
At least i know i'm active at work and i won't be sitting on my arse all day.

I woke up at about 10am today but i haven't eaten anything, only had a coffee.
To be honest i don't even feel very hungry.

May 8, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Yeah true baby steps and all of that, i also have to be careful i don't get an injury by getting into jogging & running to soon.
At least i know i'm active at work and i won't be sitting on my arse all day.

I woke up at about 10am today but i haven't eaten anything, only had a coffee.
To be honest i don't even feel very hungry.
IF takes away the hunger. The majority of the breakfast eating population wake in the morning and are starving and go straight for quick processed carbs to fix it, they get full (and often sluggish) for a few hours until the increased BG drops and they need to re-fuel. Its a vicious cycle.

The body is a creature of habit (circadian rhythm) so my advise to start IF is to pick your starting time and "every single day on the dot" have something to eat regardless on what it is. It will only take a week or so for your brain and body to find it's new balance.

I know oil/butter coffee gets a bad wrap, but if you include it in your overall daily macro-micro count it's the perfect way to start the day keeping insulin levels regulated and it will energise and keep you satiated.

May 8, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond

TheKanga

Brownlow Medallist
May 31, 2011
Hobart
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Melbourne City
So i just wanted some opinions on this data.
Been using my fitnesspal app and counting calories for the last 3 days.
When i set up the app i set my goal as to lose 10kg (drop down to 88kg)
As i know i need to ''cut'' before i can ''bulk'' up

Day 1 - limit 2,200 calories - consumed 2,048
Day 2 - limit 2,200 calories - consumed 1,927
Day 3 - limit 2,200 calories - consumed 974

According to my app i'm only burning very little via exercise as i'm mainly doing strength training rather than cardio.
Am i going the right way about this to lose some weight? Do i need to eat more or less calories to lose weight while retaining muscle?

Here's today break down of nutrients i've consumed

Protein - 50g/114g
Carbs - 109/285g
Fiber - 14/38g
Sugars - 69/85g
Fat - 28/76g
Saturated - 8/26g
Poly - 4/0g
Mono - 1/0g
Trans - 0/0g
Cholestrol - 0/300mg
Sodium - 795/2,300mg
Potassium - 421/3,500mg
Vitamin A - 60/100
Vitamin C - 338/100
Calcium - 4/100
Iron - 6/100

Weird i just an omlette with shallots, onion & tomato yet it didn't add any cholesterol. (we don't have much food until payday)
I thought eggs had lots of that in them?

TheKanga

Brownlow Medallist
May 31, 2011
Hobart
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Melbourne City
Day three 974... Why so low

And take NO notice of dietary cholesterol. Its debunked rubbish

Well i've never typically eaten breakfast.
Only had a tuna sandwich for lunch.
Omlette for dinner.
Some juice and coffees.
Was going to eat something else but it might be to late now.
Doing groceries on Tuesday

saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
So i just wanted some opinions on this data.
Been using my fitnesspal app and counting calories for the last 3 days.
When i set up the app i set my goal as to lose 10kg (drop down to 88kg)
As i know i need to ''cut'' before i can ''bulk'' up

Day 1 - limit 2,200 calories - consumed 2,048
Day 2 - limit 2,200 calories - consumed 1,927
Day 3 - limit 2,200 calories - consumed 974

According to my app i'm only burning very little via exercise as i'm mainly doing strength training rather than cardio.
Am i going the right way about this to lose some weight? Do i need to eat more or less calories to lose weight while retaining muscle?

Here's today break down of nutrients i've consumed

Protein - 50g/114g
Carbs - 109/285g
Fiber - 14/38g
Sugars - 69/85g
Fat - 28/76g
Saturated - 8/26g
Poly - 4/0g
Mono - 1/0g
Trans - 0/0g
Cholestrol - 0/300mg
Sodium - 795/2,300mg
Potassium - 421/3,500mg
Vitamin A - 60/100
Vitamin C - 338/100
Calcium - 4/100
Iron - 6/100

Weird i just an omlette with shallots, onion & tomato yet it didn't add any cholesterol. (we don't have much food until payday)
I thought eggs had lots of that in them?

How did you calculate 2200 calories as your limit? At 6 foot and 96kg you'd burn more calories than that. I'm 5'10 and around 85kg, my BMR is around 2400 calories before exercise......you should be able to eat more food and still lose weight.

I wouldn't get to caught up tracking sodium, potassium, vitamins etc.

Also cardio may burn more calories minute by minute than resistance training but the more lean muscle you have the more calories your body will burn (than body fat)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TheKanga

Brownlow Medallist
May 31, 2011
Hobart
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Melbourne City
How did you calculate 2200 calories as your limit? At 6 foot and 96kg you'd burn more calories than that. I'm 5'10 and around 85kg, my BMR is around 2400 calories before exercise......you should be able to eat more food and still lose weight.

I wouldn't get to caught up tracking sodium, potassium, vitamins etc.

Also cardio may burn more calories minute by minute than resistance training but the more lean muscle you have the more calories your body will burn (than body fat)

Well the app calculated 2,200 calories for me or it says it's my daily ''goal''
I supposed it figured that out once i said my goal was to lose 10kg and drop to 88kg.

It's early days i know but i feel as though the muscle in my arms is reawakening so to speak.
And even from cutting out processed snacks, soft drink, limiting my sugar intake i feel much lighter already.
Of course it could all be in my head as i don't have any scales on hand yet.

I have some stomach problems preventing me from being regular.
I've been taking some tablets and fibre supplements to help with that.
I just hope after i stop taking them it will regulate by itself.
I've been very bloated for awhile which probably made me look fatter than i was.

Last edited:

saj_21

Cancelled
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
Well the app calculated 2,200 calories for me or it says it's my daily ''goal''
I supposed it figured that out once i said my goal was to lose 10kg and drop to 88kg.

It's early days i know but i feel as though the muscle in my arms is reawakening so to speak.
And even from cutting out processed snacks, soft drink, limiting my sugar intake i feel much lighter already.
Of course it could all be in my head as i don't have any scales on hand yet.

I have some stomach problems preventing me from being regular.
I've been taking some tablets and fibre supplements to help with that.
I just hope after i stop taking them it will regulate by itself.
I've been very bloated for awhile which probably made me look fatter than i was.

I see, well that calculator based your calorie intake on being 88kg, thing is you don't weigh 88kg, yet.

Google "calculate BMR" and then google "Harris benedict formula"

You should be looking to be 200-300 calories in deficit a day. At a guess you could be eating as much as 2600-2800 calories and still lose weight. After 2-4 weeks, cut out another 100 calories as your body weight drops.

saj_21

Cancelled
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
Weighed myself yesterday and i was 94.5kg
This morning i weighed in again and i was 95.6kg

As tempting as it is try not to weigh yourself every day, pick one day a week (id suggest Wednesday) and weigh yourself first thing in the morning (make sure it is at the same time of day each time also).

My bodyweight can fluctuate up to 3kg in a day.

Borry

Protected Species
Aug 15, 2004
You never never know if you never never go.
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Sydney
I am currently over 90kgs, which is a wee bit over the healthy weight range for my height. I don't gym. Sp I need to get that back below 80.

I have started trying out a low carb diet.

Have switched from rice to cauliflower (rice).

Rice is a major staple of my homecooked food. It's a challenge. I feel as though I'm going to go back to rice as it is not the same. I have been eating just under 1 cup to 1 cup of uncooked rice for meals frequently. The recommended serving is 1/3, so I will try that in future meal experiments

I have morning smokos at work, where eating is hard to avoid. I have recently switched to fruit (peaches, apples). Before that it was biscuits, chocolates, cakes, crisps and sausage rolls/pasties from the cafe.

I have bought chicken drumsticks, mince, whiting fillets etc. for lunch and dinner.

I am going to try the bacon and eggs breakfast every Sunday, similar to what is suggested here.

Yes, I have been a regular soft drink connisseur. Have been drinking at least 600ml on most days. It's hard to avoid considering the nature of my current work, but I am making efforts to change the frequency of soft drinking. I have been drinking still water with a dash of lemon juice, sparking water, and still water with some fruit pieces placed into the bottle to deal with soft drink cravings.

__________________________________________________________________________________

I am doing goal umpiring for NT footy during this wet season. I make an effort to attend Wednesday night fitness sessions, which aren't needed for goal umpires, mainly running exercises for field and boundaries, but I feel that I can benefit from them.

I am starting a regime when where I have time during the day free, I go to the beach and do a 1.5km run and a 1.2km slow jog back. I have been spending weekends and free weeknights visiting nature reserves, parks and beaches to go for walks to get some activity other than sitting in front of the computer.

saj_21

Cancelled
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
I am currently over 90kgs, which is a wee bit over the healthy weight range for my height. I don't gym. Sp I need to get that back below 80.

I have started trying out a low carb diet.

Have switched from rice to cauliflower (rice).

Rice is a major staple of my homecooked food. It's a challenge. I feel as though I'm going to go back to rice as it is not the same. I have been eating just under 1 cup to 1 cup of uncooked rice for meals frequently. The recommended serving is 1/3, so I will try that in future meal experiments

I have morning smokos at work, where eating is hard to avoid. I have recently switched to fruit (peaches, apples). Before that it was biscuits, chocolates, cakes, crisps and sausage rolls/pasties from the cafe.

I have bought chicken drumsticks, mince, whiting fillets etc. for lunch and dinner.

I am going to try the bacon and eggs breakfast every Sunday, similar to what is suggested here.

Yes, I have been a regular soft drink connisseur. Have been drinking at least 600ml on most days. It's hard to avoid considering the nature of my current work, but I am making efforts to change the frequency of soft drinking. I have been drinking still water with a dash of lemon juice, sparking water, and still water with some fruit pieces placed into the bottle to deal with soft drink cravings.

__________________________________________________________________________________

I am doing goal umpiring for NT footy during this wet season. I make an effort to attend Wednesday night fitness sessions, which aren't needed for goal umpires, mainly running exercises for field and boundaries, but I feel that I can benefit from them.

I am starting a regime when where I have time during the day free, I go to the beach and do a 1.5km run and a 1.2km slow jog back. I have been spending weekends and free weeknights visiting nature reserves, parks and beaches to go for walks to get some activity other than sitting in front of the computer.

Good stuff. I would say if you love rice and really want to eat it go for it but make sure you don't over eat it. Likewise you know soft drink isn't good for you but cut back instead of just dumping it completely to many changes and drastic changes can make it harder to stick to long term goals.

for me eating fruit alone can make me more hungry, so maybe some protein (chicken, tuna etc) and salad for smoko, but if you aren't a big eater then fruit for smoko is fine and then have a serve of protein at lunch. Also maybe try to add in another cardio session or a session at the gym. But once again if this current set up is working for you then keep going with it.

Good luck and stick with it!

TheKanga

Brownlow Medallist
May 31, 2011
Hobart
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Melbourne City
Good luck with it all, i also love rice.
I've recently switched to Brown Rice and also Basmati rice (which i was eating before sometimes)

With dieting and lifestyle changes like this.
It's not one size fits all, not every dieting plan will suit each persons lifestyle.

I'm personally allowing myself one day a fortnight where i can have a few beers/soft drink and some more indulgent food. (ie Pizza, pasta, chicken snitzel, etc.)
I think it helps me to stick to eating healthy every other time and not go crazy.

Had some toast before with avocado as butter with cucumbers and red onions on it.
Quite tasty.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back