Diet, Supplements and Enhancers

Remove this Banner Ad

Wow the advertising actually worked on someone

Wow, someone without any patience so he jumps straight to steroids. No need for the smug attitude, mate.

You know that supplements aid in recovery or help with energy levels in the gym (most not as much as the advertising would suggest, however they still have some effect) and for those who aren't interested in steroids it's a perfect alternative.

I find it ironic that you bring this topic up again after the mention or pre-workout supplement which arguably has the greatest influence on someones training at of all non steroid supplements.

If your comment came from me saying something about the pre-workout building strength/muscle I wasn't referring to the supplement itself but rather the affects after the increased training load due to the supplement.

The reason I did 15 was because I found my self not being able to do the lower sets... I have only just started this in the past week. I used to do 12, 10 etc but figured why not go til fail wouldn't that be more beneficial. Obviously not.

Last night at the gym, I upped my weights and started doing 10 Rep Max sets and found my self lifting a lot better, getting a max of ten and minimum of 6 usually on the last set.

My tricep extensions went up by 5 kilos on this as I think I underestimated my strength having to 12, 10, 8, 6

i don't pyramidding reps (15, 12, 10 etc)...for a general rule whatever your work set reps will be then warm up with the same, or LESS, reps

so if 6 reps then 2 - 3 sets of 3 and 1 - 2 sets of 5 - 6

in general the more wt your lifting / the less reps per set you'll do, the more warm up sets you'll need

The reason I did 15 was because I found my self not being able to do the lower sets... I have only just started this in the past week. I used to do 12, 10 etc but figured why not go til fail wouldn't that be more beneficial. Obviously not.

Last night at the gym, I upped my weights and started doing 10 Rep Max sets and found my self lifting a lot better, getting a max of ten and minimum of 6 usually on the last set.

My tricep extensions went up by 5 kilos on this as I think I underestimated my strength having to 12, 10, 8, 6

To an overall weight of...?

If it went from 30 to 35 then fair enough....if it went to 95 too 100kg then meh. Really tricep extensions weight should go up every time you train triceps, for months, until you either max out the pin or your elbow tendons just can't take anymore

On the topic of warmups, my warm for any day is 2*5kg dumbells and going through a few curls, shoulder presses, various little movements to warm up shoulder joints...that's it. Whole thing lasts 2 minutes. I find taking warmups seriously just detracts from my lifting. It's wasting mental energy, which really is hugely important when training heavy or even medium-heavy. 1st set, that's the warmup..is how i look at it

Back day aside, if i'm in the gym for more than 45 minutes, i feel like the training session is a failure. Certainly not going to waste xx minutes "warming up".

To an overall weight of...?

If it went from 30 to 35 then fair enough....if it went to 95 too 100kg then meh. Really tricep extensions weight should go up every time you train triceps, for months, until you either max out the pin or your elbow tendons just can't take anymore

On the topic of warmups, my warm for any day is 2*5kg dumbells and going through a few curls, shoulder presses, various little movements to warm up shoulder joints...that's it. Whole thing lasts 2 minutes. I find taking warmups seriously just detracts from my lifting. It's wasting mental energy, which really is hugely important when training heavy or even medium-heavy. 1st set, that's the warmup..is how i look at it

Back day aside, if i'm in the gym for more than 45 minutes, i feel like the training session is a failure. Certainly not going to waste xx minutes "warming up".
I wholeheartedly disagree with your comments regarding supplements but this one is bang on the money.

warm up is just to get your heart rate up yes? I just got for a km jog on the treadmill takes 5 minutes and then my heart rate is set, i feel good and i'm ready to lift. Never been a big fan of warm up lifts unless I am doing a new exercise and i need to figure out what weight I should be lifting.

The tricep extensions were the standing overhead ones with a barbell.. thinking of changing it to something not overhead tho as my right shoulder has began to knot when doing it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And there within lies another problem. 1km before lifting weights come on.

Also raising your heart rate is the complete opposite effect the supplement you are taking is made to do. Don't you find it difficult to run the 1km? Exercising with these sorts of supplements can cause serious fatigue, dizziness and nausea. They help you to lift weights, not run.

geez...i want my heart rate as low/normal as possible before i commence a set. That's why i don't mind if back day i'm at the gym for an hour or more. Need a breather between sets of rows/deads

wow i need to have a word to my trainer lol

I think i need a massive overhaul, by the sounds of things I am still working on a fat burning, bodyfat losing program rather than muscle building.

When I first started gymming i was 110kg and 35+ body fat... that was mainly cardio and circuit weight work, wehn i got down to about 90 I moved to the program I do now but have just upped my weight.

I am now 82 and probably 15% would love to walk around at 8-10% tho

The 1MR actually makes me run the km easier, it really gets me fired up, as a rule though I don't take it on cardio days as I believe it has creatine in it which makes you heavier?

Think you need to do a fair bit of reading also.

Creatine increases water retention over the period of taking creatine not on a daily basis when you take it.

How long do you wait till you train after the 1RM? It certainly shouldn't be helping you. It reduces blood flow, resulting in a slower heart rate to ensure your muscles are full of blood to help with lifts. Never use it on cardio days.

Honestly I've done the 8% body fat and its all cool to walk down the beach, but for me I would rather be at 15 even 20% lifting heavier, building more muscle. Especially if you just started doing weights. At 8% you would look like a stick. Get a good year of muscle building in and then look towards trimming down when you actually have a body to show off.

...yet another one who thinks they can have it all.

Look, the advice you're getting both here and elsewhere is obviously flawed.

You can't do heavy cardio, be on a serious fitness and fat losing regime AND get big. It simply can't be done, i don't know what else to say. I've said it before on this forum to plenty of people plenty of times. Some people here disagree with me....they're wrong.

Even the people who get paid big money to rock up to the gym twice a day, pro BB'ers, look at them in off season when they are training for size. That's what the best of the best do, it can't be done any other way.

Split your training into fat burning/cardio fitness for part of the year and mass gaining for part of the year.

If it could be done any other way, Jonathon Brown et al would look like NFL linebackers

edit: post is for nufan

Even the people who get paid big money to rock up to the gym twice a day, pro BB'ers, look at them in off season when they are training for size. That's what the best of the best do, it can't be done any other way.

Ronnie says hi...

ronnie_coleman_offseason.jpeg

Cheers Schism, the advice is much appreciated

I am not looking to be a body builder by any means, just want your traditional footballer styled body

184cm 85kg at 10% pretty much... I don't have the height to play key position, or the strength for that matter, and i don't have the speed to be a midfielder. So my goal is to become a bit bigger to play second forward kind of deal.

Seeing my trainer next week, so will get him to work out a proper program for what I am looking for now

Seeing my trainer next week, so will get him to work out a proper program for what I am looking for now

Honestly, some trainers can help, however you are better off doing your own research at the same time. It's a lot easier to train and keep up the nutrition if you know exactly what will help in your situation and why it will help you.

just concentrate on losing wt then and maintain everything else

that's going to mean clean eating, nutrient timing, portion control, carb cycling and actual fat burning cardio

can your trainer help you with each of these?

but even if you get to 8% i doubt you'll hold it for more then a day without eating nothing

so now you can do what i just said or just focus on gaining a little bit of muscle (nothing like that picture above obviously, that's *ed) which will automatically decrease your bf% as you'll weight more with more muscle but the same amount of fat at your worse (you might even lose some)

how old are you nuf?

Ronnie says hi...

ronnie_coleman_offseason.jpeg

nuff said

Cheers Schism, the advice is much appreciated

I am not looking to be a body builder by any means, just want your traditional footballer styled body

184cm 85kg at 10% pretty much... I don't have the height to play key position, or the strength for that matter, and i don't have the speed to be a midfielder. So my goal is to become a bit bigger to play second forward kind of deal.

yeah if you want the footy player build/fitness then fitness is your top priority. If you can gain some muscle that's a bonus, as i said earlier packing on muscle is a very long haul if someone wants to play footy seriously. Still, some have the right genetics to still gain good size, guys like Brown, Fevola

Just want some advice on eggs. I'm currently eating 3 eggs per day except for the weekends. I consume the whole egg. Usually I have two for breakfast and in the afternoon I will mix one in with milk.

I keep hearing a lot about cholesterol and eggs. Are eggs really that bad for you?

The last couple of years I have been eating a lot of tuna as well. I have heard rumblings that too much tuna isn't good for your health either. Is there any truth to this?

NB/ I eat a lot of eggs and tuna because they are cheap ways to get protein. I don't want to spend heaps of money on supplements which I reckon are overated.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back