Opinion Do We Need A Strong Reserves Side, Or Is It Just A Feeder/Development Concept?

Remove this Banner Ad

They may have got smashed but the progress of our development department since the reveiw circa teague has meant that some of the c grade types are now playing great roles in our firsts

Cottrell
Dow
Boyd (when he was playing)
Cincotta
Kemp
Owies
Fogarty

Has made a massive difference to our squad to have our bottom 6 lifted in quality.

Players also seem to have a quicker turn around in form when they go back too.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
this bit particularly.........

Having a competitive reserves side is paramount for success, it doesn't have to be super strong but can't be poor to the point of being thrashed every week.

We have been competitive this year and would be playing finals if not for the shellacking on the weekend. We have lost 3 games by narrow margins and unfortunately injuries at the back end of the season have robbed us of experience in our 2's. Six senior players out, 6 players out of the 2's. The transition of players from the reserves into the seniors has been faultless this year during our winning streak, our depth and development is looking better than previous years.

Unfortunately, with our reserves out we can't bring injured players back through their ranks now that their season is done.

Depends on your list profile. We have more highly paid “stars” than many or most clubs, and will do for at least five years. We are middling at VFL level, and that is perhaps mostly due to the VFL listed players.

With the salary cap “biting” we are less likely to keep as many mature depth types as earlier. We are adding the Irish boys and probably two or three youngsters at the end of the season. This is highly likely to weaken our reserves further, but should provide a great avenue for development.

Don’t expect our ressies to be dominant any time soon. As long as we are developing the likes of Cowan, Binns, Lemmey,O’Keeffe effectively we are doing OK. Thinking we have had a bit of a fail with some on the list, which will be hard to turn around.
There’s still the VFL salary cap to consider and whoever our players that are to be the stable hands across the team + those that have some incentive to return to the AFL & our interest in providing an avenue for that to happen.

Best for there to be a reserves comp for the AFL teams & curtin raisers. Problematic for those playing WCE this year, WAFL team was mostly diabolical.

We can start by not having Ben Crocker as our VFL captain.

On a serious note I wonder if we retain him? He was really bad this year.

I think he needs to be the main target to play well. An old school undersized full forward. That isnt whats best for the club though and his form dropped off as we went away from that.

We can't change the way we develop our team to accommodate him. I say we move on.

It would have been nice if Ed Curnow stuck around to captain the side. The commute is the problem.

People worry about this sort of stuff too much. He has friends who won that premiership. No wonder he's pretty happy.

We don't sack him because of that. We sack him because he wasn't any good.

I want people who play for the jumper, even it's a VFL one. I don't think he's a team player, on field or off field.

I want people who play for the jumper, even it's a VFL one. I don't think he's a team player, on field or off field.
He sure isn’t a leader.
He was woeful this season, much rather a kid getting a chance & players pushing to better themselves & the club.
That clip was just ******* stupid, we don’t need that at the club - I’d like him to get up in front of the playing group & explain that to the group who are trying to build a culture of success.
He’s not even a “has been”, he’s a “never was”, how do those stupid antics positively influence the kids & help the club?

He sure isn’t a leader.
He was woeful this season, much rather a kid getting a chance & players pushing to better themselves & the club.
That clip was just ******* stupid, we don’t need that at the club - I’d like him to get up in front of the playing group & explain that to the group who are trying to build a culture of success.
He’s not even a “has been”, he’s a “never was”, how do those stupid antics positively influence the kids & help the club?

It's a little like Grace Egan laughing and singing the Essendon song when Prespakis announced she was leaving. Just no loyalty there.

Generally the premier has a strong reserves side. It's probably more an indication of the quality of their list. I think it's somewhat important to at least be a finals team but not important to be a world beater. Can't be uncompetitive, players need to develop in a team which can defend and move the ball.

Good to have a reserves side that is well led and really wants to win.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Generally the premier has a strong reserves side. It's probably more an indication of the quality of their list. I think it's somewhat important to at least be a finals team but not important to be a world beater. Can't be uncompetitive, players need to develop in a team which can defend and move the ball.

Think injuries play their part.

Less injuries = your best 22 available + reserves have more AFL listed players.

Having a strong reserves side also allows you to play players in their AFL level role. If your reserves side is getting belted your wings and forwards can struggle to get into the game and you are forced to put your best players in the middle even if that's not the role they are competing for.

Think injuries play their part.

Less injuries = your best 22 available + reserves have more AFL listed players.
They do and all sides have injuries. You need those few real top reserves players IMO. Losing Maher last season really sucked for us, may have cost us finals. Players like him are really important. Borderline AFL players who are trying to get onto an AFL list.

He sure isn’t a leader.

To be fair to BC (I would let him go myself) he had been battling some pretty serious off field MH issues in the last few years.

Bit of a weird unit, but I am not convinced his antics affected our VFL/young players in any way

People worry about this sort of stuff too much. He has friends who won that premiership. No wonder he's pretty happy.

We don't sack him because of that. We sack him because he wasn't any good.

I didn’t see much of the 2nds this year but what i did see of Crocker didn’t impress me at all. Very selfish, undisciplined and poor decision making.

The amount of stupid frees and 50’s he gave away was ridiculous especially for a captain. Happy to see him moved on but I’m sure Luke Power knows what to look for in a captain and leader of the squad.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

He sure isn’t a leader.
Setters and Paddy Dow were at Chuggas wedding, should supporters of their clubs be angry at that? The reality is players have mates at other clubs, from time to time they get up to shenanigans in the off season with those mates. I dont know Crocker from a bar of soap but for all I know, he may be an outstanding leader and mentor at VFL level. Power will be the judge of that, if he gets moved on then it may be a tell that his bosses didn't like what they saw.

Setters and Paddy Dow were at Chuggas wedding, should supporters of their clubs be angry at that? The reality is players have mates at other clubs, from time to time they get up to shenanigans in the off season with those mates. I dont know Crocker from a bar of soap but for all I know, he may be an outstanding leader and mentor at VFL level. Power will be the judge of that, if he gets moved on then it may be a tell that his bosses didn't like what they saw.

He’s not getting moved on - he’s moving on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back