Votes: 33 32.4%
  • Yes... Lachie Henderson

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • No... Both of them are to good in defence for us

Votes: 63 61.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Which is probably why we prefer to keep and use the early round picks.
images

The white squiggly stuff top centre is the ball from a kick forward under pressure at a centre clearance,Daz has it spot on,what else can they do in that circumstance?

They shouldn't all be running toward where the ball drop will be some players should be holding their position so that there is more space for one or two of the forwards to work in and it's more difficult for Hawthorn defenders to come off their man and support each other, there should also be far more space in their forward set up they should be much further apart just like the Bulldogs set up a week later that I posted above. That's a big reason why the Bulldog's won the flag while all we could manage was the dismal total of just 20 goals from 119 inside 50s in 2 finals. The fact you guys are defending a forward set up so clearly flawed is beyond me...

We can only wait and see.
or we can look at how the club has developed younger players since 2012 and kind of make a pretty realistic prediction from that? It's quite clear the club stinks at it these days. Only 2 or 3 have actually garnered attention by the media and the supporters themselves but the rest are now being questioned. We hear it often especially from Cameron Ling who does commentary and questions the lack of onus taken up by the next brigade of talent. He often mentions how it's left to too few. Funnily enough, can remember Geelong supporters on here having a crack at Mick Malthouse for critizing Geelong on this very subject a few years ago as he felt it was Selwood or bust way back then. Only difference now is we managed to sign up a homesick bloke named Patrick Dangerfield.

or we can look at how the club has developed younger players since 2012 and kind of make a pretty realistic prediction from that? It's quite clear the club stinks at it these days. Only 2 or 3 have actually garnered attention by the media and the supporters themselves but the rest are now being questioned. We hear it often especially from Cameron Ling who does commentary and questions the lack of onus taken up by the next brigade of talent. He often mentions how it's left to too few. Funnily enough, can remember Geelong supporters on here having a crack at Mick Malthouse for critizing Geelong on this very subject a few years ago as he felt it was Selwood or bust way back then. Only difference now is we managed to sign up a homesick bloke named Patrick Dangerfield.
Completely right our development of players has been nothing short of woeful in the Scott era, we keep getting peddled this 'we've never had high draft picks' crap, yet in Bombers last few years he never did and under his development program and coaching we still developed Duncan, Christensen, Menzel, Harry Taylor, Cowan, Mumford...

They shouldn't all be running toward where the ball drop will be some players should be holding their position so that there is more space for one or two of the forwards to work in and it's more difficult for Hawthorn defenders to come off their man and support each other, there should also be far more space in their forward set up they should be much further apart just like the Bulldogs set up a week later that I posted above. That's a big reason why the Bulldog's won the flag while all we could manage was the dismal total of just 20 goals from 119 inside 50s in 2 finals. The fact you guys are defending a forward set up so clearly flawed is beyond me...
That play is already set in motion, the high long ball is on the way in, the Hawthorn players are going to Hawkins and the drop of the ball, it's our boys duty to go with them, engage them and protect Hawkins and not leave him a sitting duck.Again well played by our boys in the circumstances.

Must be your Level 4 AFL coaching credentials and 25 years in the business that makes your analysis and opinions so elite compared to the rest of us...

oh wait... :rolleyes:

GO Catters

Must be your Level 4 AFL coaching credentials and 25 years in the business that makes your analysis and opinions so elite compared to the rest of us...

oh wait... :rolleyes:
I'm criticising a forward set up that scored 20 goals from 119 inside 50s in our two finals, you're defending it, it's not about my opinions or analysis being elite its about it being based on evidence - our forward set up doesn't work, I compared it in exact circumstances with pictures to one that does, if a few of you can't see the difference then that's your own problem/lack of analysing capability it's not on me.

I'm criticising a forward set up that scored 20 goals from 119 inside 50s in our two finals, you're defending it, it's not about my opinions or analysis being elite its about it being based on evidence - our forward set up doesn't work, I compared it in exact circumstances with pictures to one that does, if a few of you can't see the difference then that's your own problem/lack of analysing capability it's not on me.

I am talking about the still photo, and the still photo only - which I clearly referred to above that you posted - and you are talking in broad stroke terms about 119 inside 50's. Im talking about 1 inside 50. I am only referring to the evidence YOU provided.
The ONE you referred to.

I said nothing about the other 118. I explained the positioning of the forwards in the still you posted.

Shifting them again.....imagine that.

Go Catters

I haven't had a good word to say about it for over 3 years,but your examples are s**t.

Do you have those credentials Daz? Or anyone else on here?
Nope. Never claimed to either.

Im just a run of the mill garden variety Cats supporter.

GO Catters

We are in trouble then as we have nothing else.

in comparison to the backs.

in our starting 22 we have Thurlow, Touhy, Kolo, Henderson, Taylor , Lonergan one or two from Ruggles Stewart and Bews. Also Gardiner should get some game time this year if his improvement continues.

that really is one or two many talls. While Scott says the talls can play on smaller they can't provide the line breaking run Tuohy, Bews and Stewart can. Which kind of means we might have to find somewhere else for either Taylor or Henderson to play to get the best use out of them.

Best case scenario would be that Black plays like he did couple of years ago and provides a real mobile option spreading the defence over more of the ground leaving more holes. Then Stanley/ Taylor or Henderson play the second big but have running patterns which stop their player chopping out Hawkins man.

IF you look at Henderson when he was at Carlton he showed he could play CHF but I think he seems like he would need to be settled there and remain there doesn't do so well as a change up. Taylor on the other hand is such a good mark with those long arms and accurate long Kick if he was there all year he could present as quite a difficult match up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

in comparison to the backs.

in our starting 22 we have Thurlow, Touhy, Kolo, Henderson, Taylor , Lonergan one or two from Ruggles Stewart and Bews. Also Gardiner should get some game time this year if his improvement continues.

that really is one or two many talls. While Scott says the talls can play on smaller they can't provide the line breaking run Tuohy, Bews and Stewart can. Which kind of means we might have to find somewhere else for either Taylor or Henderson to play to get the best use out of them.

Best case scenario would be that Black plays like he did couple of years ago and provides a real mobile option spreading the defence over more of the ground leaving more holes. Then Stanley/ Taylor or Henderson play the second big but have running patterns which stop their player chopping out Hawkins man.

IF you look at Henderson when he was at Carlton he showed he could play CHF but I think he seems like he would need to be settled there and remain there doesn't do so well as a change up. Taylor on the other hand is such a good mark with those long arms and accurate long Kick if he was there all year he could present as quite a difficult match up.

Looked at Hendo a lot when a Blue, and must say he was the classic swing player, maybe why we were interested in him. Can easily bob up forward after dominating in defence.
I wouldn't let that single dismal prelim dissuade you from thinking otherwise.
He came into that final very underdone.

You might be right about Henderson . Just seems we are going to have a lot of talls in the back half where we need to inject some drive :

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
That's where you have to make hard decisions and start developing a team for the future, while still being in contention.

For me our best defensive setup with this current list is;
3 tall defenders
2 running halfbacks
1 lock-down small defender

If Henderson and Kolodjashnij are going to be long-term defenders then they need to play as 2 of the 3 talls all year.

Tuohy and Thurlow would be our ideal running half-backs.

I have Bews ahead of Ruggles as the lock-down small defender.

That leaves one spot left for either Longergan or Taylor in defence.

If I was to go with that logic. The lonergan would be the next back because he is a better body player against the full forward which would mean you throw Taylor forward . Taylor and lonergan are too good to leave out

If I was to go with that logic. The lonergan would be the next back because he is a better body player against the full forward which would mean you throw Taylor forward . Taylor and lonergan are too good to leave out

To be honest, the 3-2-1 setup is what I'm most hoping we implement next season and beyond, because I believe it'll give us the best chance at winning a flag.

I'm really not a fan of moving either Henderson or Taylor forward at all because it's not a long-term fix... It's a bandaid affect at best.

I want our 3 best tall defenders in our back 6 and if that's Longergan, Taylor and Henderson then so be it but Kolodjashnij, along with Gardiner, need to be developed.

I can't help but think we will play all of Lonergan,Henderson,Taylor and Kolo down back again unfortunately , we did it pretty much all year long and both Tuohy and Thurlow could easily be played on the wing.

Precisely. So is everyone else. Which means no one's opinion on here is better or worse than anyone else's. As much as may upset some.
Let's hope then that eveyone reads this and follows it.

Go Catters

Back