Docklands Stadium (Marvel Stadium) - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I generally like Etihad, I have been to everything from AFL finals to WWE at that place, and it is a very comfortable venue, viewing wise. Worst thing about it is easily getting out after a game, can take 30 minutes to make the 500 meter trek to the station. Especially now that new office building has cut the concourse in half (and completely obscured the view of the ground from outside).

I generally like Etihad, I have been to everything from AFL finals to WWE at that place, and it is a very comfortable venue, viewing wise. Worst thing about it is easily getting out after a game, can take 30 minutes to make the 500 meter trek to the station. Especially now that new office building has cut the concourse in half (and completely obscured the view of the ground from outside).

Half an hour? Maybe if you're waiting for the train. Even then, you'd have to just miss one or being going to the sticks.

It takes about five minutes for me to go from level three to the lights at Spencer street. It's congested, but every single stadium suffers from that. It's inevitable unless you annoy people by staggering who leaves and when – which is just backward.

Go to Subiaco Oval after a Freo game. There'll be 30,000 people there and Subi or West Leedy stations will be packed, two trains will go past with no one on them because they're terminating, and then the next train will be packed beyond entrance. By the time you get back to Freo, which is obviously where a fair few Dockers supporters live (or at least park their cars), it's about 9:30pm if it's a night game. It is what it is and I don't have an issue (still beer o'clock), but ya know, Etihad's system is immeasurably simpler and better.

Don't really care about Subiaco, this isn't a "who has it worse off" pissing contest. How many times have you been to Etihad? What were the crowd sizes? I can tell you I've been to quite a few sell outs or crowds of 40,000 plus when it absolutely took 20 minutes or more to make it out of the stadium and onto the train platform. The issue is people coming out of various gates and bottle necking onto the small concourse, its like peak hour on Bourke St after a healthy crowd.

Don't really care about Subiaco, this isn't a "who has it worse off" pissing contest. How many times have you been to Etihad? What were the crowd sizes? I can tell you I've been to quite a few sell outs or crowds of 40,000 plus when it absolutely took 20 minutes or more to make it out of the stadium and onto the train platform. The issue is people coming out of various gates and bottle necking onto the small concourse, its like peak hour on Bourke St after a healthy crowd.

But Subiaco is relevant. Because Melburnians love to talk about how much they love sport and patronise live events, but unless it's a Vic side against a Vic side, they don't care. And plenty of people complain about the extra four stops on the train, and how that makes Etihad a bad venue. It's pampered bullshit.

I don't know how many times I've been to Etihad. Maybe 17ish this year, and 25 times in total or something? I've seen North and the Lions at 4:40 on a Sunday and I've seen plenty of (as good as) sell-outs. It has never taken me 20 minutes to get from tier three (where I always mostly sit) to the station platform. And if it has, it's probably been because I've been walking and talking with someone.

Unless you have gates entirely around the stadium, so that everything is open, you're going to get bottlenecks. And unless the train station encircles the stadium, people are going to go in the same direction. These 'issues' exist everywhere. Have you seen Wembley Way during FA Cup and England games? It. is. inevitable. What do you want? It takes me 40 minutes to walk from Etihad to home and you just lock it in. It is what it is. Sometimes you have to go out of the way if you want to do or see something. Don't be so soft and pampered.

People never, ever complain about the walkbridge or car congestion at the MCG. It's never brought up. Melburnians hurl shit at Etihad but defend the MCG 'til the death – even though the latter has worse sight lines, gets absolutely freezing, and is usually too big for its own good. And you know what? I bet it takes you 20 minutes to walk from level four to Richmond station. Do you want to complain about that?

I was wondering, does anyone know if your allowed to bring some munchies in to the ground?
What kind of munchies? Things from home they generally aren't too fussed about, but it you blatantly try to carry Subway in or something from outside the ground they don't look favourably on it. The latter I just wrap up in my jumper till I'm through the gate.

What kind of munchies? Things from home they generally aren't too fussed about, but it you blatantly try to carry Subway in or something from outside the ground they don't look favourably on it. The latter I just wrap up in my jumper till I'm through the gate.
Just like a bag of chips and a couple cans of coke. I was thinking of carrying them in a small back pack.

Just like a bag of chips and a couple cans of coke. I was thinking of carrying them in a small back pack.

You should be right to get into Etihad with that, but they can be strict on cans sometimes. All depends who you get.
I went to the Boxing Day Test at the 'G with my Pa a few years ago and he was informed that cans are 'illegal contraband'. Weird.
You'll probably be ok though.

I went with bottles of water instead of cans. They didn't even search my bag though even when I offered. They seemed more concerned on making sure I had my concession card.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I went with bottles of water instead of cans. They didn't even search my bag though even when I offered. They seemed more concerned on making sure I had my concession card.

Yeah, I've been to all of the Doggies games in Melbourne bar two, all at Etihad except 1 at the MCG (where I'm an MCC member so they don't check anything except clothes), and they've asked me for my concession card every time after being waved through by the bag guys without too much effort. I wonder what their deal is really, if I've purchased a membership and I'm going into the ground and buying food and such, what do they have to gain by telling me to piss off, in the event that I didn't have my card?

Yeah, I've been to all of the Doggies games in Melbourne bar two, all at Etihad except 1 at the MCG (where I'm an MCC member so they don't check anything except clothes), and they've asked me for my concession card every time after being waved through by the bag guys without too much effort. I wonder what their deal is really, if I've purchased a membership and I'm going into the ground and buying food and such, what do they have to gain by telling me to piss off, in the event that I didn't have my card?

I've been to 26 games of footy this year, mostly in Melbourne and haven't been asked for my concession card once. I generally get asked for ID everywhere too.

I've been to 26 games of footy this year, mostly in Melbourne and haven't been asked for my concession card once. I generally get asked for ID everywhere too.

I think it can just be luck. As I'm usually with someone and have to wait around for them, I'm a bit slower and will always be asked. Sometimes you can just breeze straight through the gates and never have an issue.

Is there anyway of knowing if the roof will be closed for a day game a few hours before start. Would like to know if it will be closed for nth v haw game this Saturday ?

Is there anyway of knowing if the roof will be closed for a day game a few hours before start. Would like to know if it will be closed for nth v haw game this Saturday ?
Generally the Etihad Stadium Twitter (@EtihadStadiumAU) will mention it, or you can ask them there too.

I think what they need to do is have all members (doesn't matter what category member they are) have a seat no higher than level two. If you are currently a member that gets to go to 5 games a year or less you are forced to either buy a seat or sit up on level 3.

I think what they need to do is have all members (doesn't matter what category member they are) have a seat no higher than level two. If you are currently a member that gets to go to 5 games a year or less you are forced to either buy a seat or sit up on level 3.

And level three isn't that bad at all. Great perspective. You're not going to get it as intimate and over the pitch at AAMI, but I like the view. Heaps better than sitting on the first level, which is just shit for soccer when the touchline is 35 metres away.

have only seen one game here...was Melb vs Dockers in 2012. It felt very weird under the roof, but eventually got used to it. Would love to see another game there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back