Roast Does anyone not like the majority of their own teams fanbase?

Remove this Banner Ad

I can only think of one Richmond fan on this website that is a complete and utter fool and I think even some the Richmond fans wouldn’t disagree. No doubt in my mind it’s one of the names you’re thinking of yourself.

The rest of them I find to be ******* brilliant and next year I’d be hell keen to attend a BF meet up with them if their board even does it. I know our board does and I wouldn’t be seen out in public with a lot of them.

I’d be the one poor prick all by myself amongst the yellow and black army but I wouldn’t have it any other way. I live for that s**t, dude!
I actually mean this with complete sincerity, but if you're not happy with the supporter base, our values, our attitudes and brand, you really aren't obligated to stay rusted on if they don't align with your values.

Nothing wrong with changing clubs if they're who you prefer to support. My partner has said numerous time she'd switch to the Doggies from Carlton given we live in Williamstown and are surrounded by Doggies fans.

Is what it is. From the tone of your posting on this thread and conversations we've had, it would appear (on the surface at least), that while there are elements of the Cats you like, there are elements you really dislike.

Much like Jez and Danger want the coast and fishing and a laid back life, conversely guys like Grundy, Taranto, Cerra, Shiel etc. prefer the inner city lifestyle. There's nothing wrong either way, people just have their preferences. If you feel more comfortable around Tigers supporters and feel their values align better with yours, then don't feel obligated to stick with the same team if you're not happy. Can guarantee there were many who were lifelong supporters of other clubs who jumped to GC and GWS, because of players they liked and personnel, gamestyle etc.

Footy is only one aspect of life, being a Geelong supporter or Richmond supporter shouldn't be what defines you. Sadly, BF is quite the tribal place, so we all align with our brethren - and being impartial and unbiased and objective is often difficult. I've grown increasingly frustrated and honestly gotten quite emotional and probably gone over the top, due to this fact- as I am honestly sick of all of the tearing down of each side that has grown more and more since 2017. Would honestly be nice if it all stopped, but there's still too many polarizing issues for that to happen anytime soon, IMO.

Tl;dr - you do you, and support whoever makes you feel like you belong and makes you feel happy :)

I’ve only been to two cats games in Victoria. I found most of the fans at Marvel were good to be around apart from the two old crones behind me who were simply horrible to me because I had the temerity to stand up a few times.
I hope you didn't get poked too hard by the knitting needles!

I actually mean this with complete sincerity, but if you're not happy with the supporter base, our values, our attitudes and brand, you really aren't obligated to stay rusted on if they don't align with your values.

Nothing wrong with changing clubs if they're who you prefer to support. My partner has said numerous time she'd switch to the Doggies from Carlton given we live in Williamstown and are surrounded by Doggies fans.

Is what it is. From the tone of your posting on this thread and conversations we've had, it would appear (on the surface at least), that while there are elements of the Cats you like, there are elements you really dislike.

Much like Jez and Danger want the coast and fishing and a laid back life, conversely guys like Grundy, Taranto, Cerra, Shiel etc. prefer the inner city lifestyle. There's nothing wrong either way, people just have their preferences. If you feel more comfortable around Tigers supporters and feel their values align better with yours, then don't feel obligated to stick with the same team if you're not happy. Can guarantee there were many who were lifelong supporters of other clubs who jumped to GC and GWS, because of players they liked and personnel, gamestyle etc.

Footy is only one aspect of life, being a Geelong supporter or Richmond supporter shouldn't be what defines you. Sadly, BF is quite the tribal place, so we all align with our brethren - and being impartial and unbiased and objective is often difficult. I've grown increasingly frustrated and honestly gotten quite emotional and probably gone over the top, due to this fact- as I am honestly sick of all of the tearing down of each side that has grown more and more since 2017. Would honestly be nice if it all stopped, but there's still too many polarizing issues for that to happen anytime soon, IMO.

Tl;dr - you do you, and support whoever makes you feel like you belong and makes you feel happy :)
I couldn’t be paid to change clubs unless Darwin were in the league. You could feel the realness in the blood if you shook my hand.

Footy means a lot more to some than it does to others but for me personally, 6 months a year it’s the only thing keeping me alive sometimes.

I couldn’t be paid to change clubs unless Darwin were in the league. You could feel the realness in the blood if you shook my hand.

Footy means a lot more to some than it does to others but for me personally, 6 months a year it’s the only thing keeping me alive sometimes.

In complete agreement there with the last paragraph, but if that is the case, then I suggest you take the good with the bad and accept all supporter bases (and people by extension), are flawed, and shouldn't be all tarred with the same brush. BF is a very, very magnified version of most supporters' attitudes in the league, as only the most die hard of supporters spend a lot of time on here and discuss everything about footy in such an in depth way. Can be brilliant at times and awful at others, however, it's not entirely reflective of people as a whole. A perfect example being, my partner's mum is a Collingwood supporter, and she's probably one of the most easy going, mild mannered people you'd meet. Not reflective at all of the 'feral, toothless supporters' that Pies supporters often get unfairly blanket labelled as.

We're all complex beings, and supporter bases are no different. Have to take the good the bad and the ugly, when you're as involved as we all are.

tim curry legend GIF by absurdnoise

Geelong supporters have a pack mentality despite the fact there isn’t many of them on here. For a group of people too scared to make a noise and fear Richmond supporters at the MCG you’re a very loud bunch online. Internet anonymity creates big balls I guess. How can you fear Richmond fans making a noise? Would you fear me for being similar? Most of us ‘intimidating loudmouths’ are nice people. We just love our football!

What I’ve found with you wolves is if you don’t like everything that the club does then you should find another club to support. If you have one cynical view in between premierships, then you don’t deserve to be happy when we finally snag one. This is bullshit that I saw our posters spew on our board when even Biggy would be over the moon! Tagging your more negative types to gloat is absolutely pathetic. Obviously, I have nothing to complain about after winning a premiership and am rapt. I finally believe Chris Scott is a great coach.

Live, I find Geelong supporters have very little passion and are very quiet at football games especially at Kardinia Park where almost everyone in attendance is a Geelong supporter. Boring.

I don’t know if it’s because your average Geelong supporter is a lot older than me, or doesn’t care about footy as much as it means to me. I just know that if 7 year old me in 2004 knew what I knew now, if this would even be the club for me? Too loyal to change.

If personality and the enjoyment of banter means anything then I honestly believe I probably should’ve gone for Port Adelaide, Carlton or Richmond (come from Darwin so had free range & my immediate family supports one of these three clubs). I have a little brother who is getting into footy, and I will never tell him to support Geelong. It’s a lonely team to support when all you want is to have a fun time regardless of result.

Need to reiterate the fact that while over the years, I might have come across as negative at times. However I’ve always been one to admit when I am wrong and post positivity. I’m nothing like Blightys.

Just want to add for reference that the reason I fell in love with this club was because the first game I ever watched live was our 4 point win at AAMI Stadium over Port Adelaide, the reigning premiers in 2005.
If you're from Darwin I assume you probably don't get to a great deal of Geelong games? I've always found the crowd pretty good, during our best years it'd occasionally get quiet down at KP because we'd be winning every game by heaps so you end up with golf claps rather than raucous cheering. We're no Richmond or Collingwood though. Regarding your point about us being loud online and scared to make noise - I think you're taking too much stock in what other teams supporters post here, I reckon there was a couple of nannas on talkback radio talking about the Richmond crowd for the 2017 QF. I was there, it was very one sided, my wife got told to 'take me home and choke on my dick' by a an excited Richmond supporter as we walked up the aisle of M23 with 5 or so minutes left in the last. She didn't love that comment, but at the end of the day we just got on with our lives. It was still an excellent crowd and I've been to both of our recent finals vs Richmond without any major issues.

You're allowed to have your opinion about whatever you want, you're allowed to hate your team, coach, players and even and fellow supporters. You've just got to remember that they're probably unpopular opinions, and if you spend most of your time posting those opinions in Geelong-centric forums, you're gonna get some kickback. It'd be the same if you were a Richmond supporter who felt that way about the club. You've just got to remember that it'll happen no matter what you do.

Take this with a grain of salt because I love that Geelong has diverse supporters like yourself, but you are allowed to change clubs if you truly believe the change would benefit you. People might rib you about it, but at the end of the day it's your right to be happy and enjoy the good times of your footy club, rather than have them drag you down for any reason.

I've never lived in Melbourne, and live in Adelaide. I've been told our supporters are similar to Port Adelaide's.

I've always wanted to go to a Collingwood game at the MCG, but I'm terrified that I'll despise Pies fans from the experience. Hearing Port fans on the hill at Adelaide still haunts me, it was unbearable.

Pies fans are actually fairly chill. They have some dickheads like all clubs, just that there is a lot of supporters = more dickheads.

Pies supporters interstate do tend to have a higher dickhead ratio it seems.

It’s this type of supporter.

Undertone of pure arrogance…. “We’ve been spoilt with 3 flags and constant top 4 finishes…”

You could almost pass as a Richmond supporter.
Context matters. This isn't an undertone of arrogance at all from The 747 just stating a sad fact about this fanbase, that was repeated by the OP. And has been said ad nauseam by some for close to a decade.

Did you miss the media mentioning that Selwood's last match meant he equalled St.Kilda for finals wins? If that doesn't highlight that as a club it has been a very good run for the last 16 years, and in fact more like the last 35 years then I don't what does. We have had a good ride and should have no complaints with our recent history.

Sadly my fellow fans are among a fanbase that had seen some lose all perspective and moaned endlessly about how badly we were run, about how little the club cared or about how bad we had it as fans. When in fact comparatively we were/are in the midst of one of the more successful and dominant periods in VFL/AFL history and certainly our own history.

I.e. 6 flags in the first 110 years. 4 in the next 16.

Context matters. This isn't an undertone of arrogance at all from The 747 just stating a sad fact about this fanbase, that was repeated by the OP. And has been said ad nauseam by some for close to a decade.

Did you miss the media mentioning that Selwood's last match meant he equalled St.Kilda for finals wins? If that doesn't highlight that as a club it has been a very good run for the last 16 years, and in fact more like the last 35 years then I don't what does. We have had a good ride and should have no complaints with our recent history.

Sadly my fellow fans are among a fanbase that had seen some lose all perspective and moaned endlessly about how badly we were run, about how little the club cared or about how bad we had it as fans. When in fact comparatively we were/are in the midst of one of the more successful and dominant periods in VFL/AFL history and certainly our own history.

I.e. 6 flags in the first 110 years. 4 in the next 16.
Read my bump mate.
I’ve got to say this backfired on the whole not winning a premiership thing but I’m getting in first before someone else inevitably does the bf thing and bumps the thread.

In saying that, there are still a few Geelong fans on here that are just awful and I think it’s time to start using the ignore feature.
The club I am fine with. It’s the fans specifically. You and I attended a game and I felt like I couldn’t be me.

If it was just me and the third who accompanied us then it’s an entirely different story.

Nothing wrong with changing clubs if they're who you prefer to support.

If you're from Darwin I assume you probably don't get to a great deal of Geelong games?

Take this with a grain of salt because I love that Geelong has diverse supporters like yourself, but you are allowed to change clubs if you truly believe the change would benefit you. People might rib you about it, but at the end of the day it's your right to be happy and enjoy the good times of your footy club, rather than have them drag you down for any reason.

Believe the only Cats game I ever saw in Darwin was a preseason match against Port in the mid 2000’s which to this day, I believe to be one of the most soaking wet and drenched encounters that I’ve ever seen.

I’m of the belief of you don’t choose the club but the club chooses you. No complaints on Geelong itself anymore. I’m thrilled with winning a premiership just like you guys.

I won’t disrespect you both by lying to you. Up until that Port Adelaide game (which I went to because I live in Adelaide these days) I didn’t think we’d win another flag under Chris Scott. After that I knew in my heart it was ours for the taking and expected either a 07 or 08 repeat. Of course I’m ecstatic that it was the former! I was not let down and this premiership means more to me than you’ll ever know.

I just feel like I don’t belong and that really sucks because in public, I could honestly walk up to any person and start a conversation and it’d be free flowing.

Even if Darwin entered the competition, I would still love Geelong. Every possibility I’d still stick with them but I’d also be a lifelong member of Darwin.

For the record I’d be quite content in making finals every single year for the rest of my life even if it meant never winning a flag and as a Geelong supporter we seem to get both.

Read my bump mate.

The club I am fine with. It’s the fans specifically. You and I attended a game and I felt like I couldn’t be me.

If it was just me and the third who accompanied us then it’s an entirely different story.
Not sure your point here.

If I give my polite response to your OP though I'd be asking a lot of 'how do you know?' questions. From listening to cynical fools like Partridge, Bob and Blighty and Co... Guess what. Our Grand Final victory absolutely shattered a lot of what these types have been waffling on about for years. No wonder their content would get critiqued regularly, and why they're all absent now we've won and their s**t is exposed for all to see.

So Nick, how do you know they only care about making profits? Have you not heard how many times since covid they've spoken about had bad they've felt over the droves of staff that had to be let go. (Scott himself coaching in 2020 for free so they could pay assistants). Profits are important in businesses though.

How do you know they don't give a s**t? Could it not be argued that they simply were falling short and slowly learning from their mistakes? Lots of premiership sides first experience finals heartaches before breaking through. Melbourne 2019, Richmond 2017-20, Geelong 2007-11; '22, Port 2004 etc.

Scott a tosser? Coached for free and cares deeply about the wider GFC staff and community. I know and play sport with some of Danger's best mates. Their view of him is vastly different to yours. Just like you know Parfitt and could tell us what he's like as a person.

It’s this type of supporter.

Undertone of pure arrogance…. “We’ve been spoilt with 3 flags and constant top 4 finishes…”

You could almost pass as a Richmond supporter.

Is that arrogance though?

I can certainly see where you're coming from but I interpret it as gratitude. It's not "I'm better than you" it's "We've got a lot to be thankful for, put it all in perspective and see how lucky we are in comparison to others"

Tigers and Cats have both got plenty of supporters like this, but like all fanbases we've got our ******** as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This your 'complement' (sic)?

Didn't you also just come off a ban for trolling the Geelong board?

Did you wanna try again bring up the comment a bit after where I said overall he is an exceptional coach for winning 2 flags. It’s just his finals record could’ve been a bit better, probably left 1-2 flags on the table. Like do you guys want to be victims or something? Guaranteed you’ve read that other comment. Go ahead bring it up mate.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

If you're from Darwin I assume you probably don't get to a great deal of Geelong games? I've always found the crowd pretty good, during our best years it'd occasionally get quiet down at KP because we'd be winning every game by heaps so you end up with golf claps rather than raucous cheering. We're no Richmond or Collingwood though. Regarding your point about us being loud online and scared to make noise - I think you're taking too much stock in what other teams supporters post here, I reckon there was a couple of nannas on talkback radio talking about the Richmond crowd for the 2017 QF. I was there, it was very one sided, my wife got told to 'take me home and choke on my dick' by a an excited Richmond supporter as we walked up the aisle of M23 with 5 or so minutes left in the last. She didn't love that comment, but at the end of the day we just got on with our lives. It was still an excellent crowd and I've been to both of our recent finals vs Richmond without any major issues.

You're allowed to have your opinion about whatever you want, you're allowed to hate your team, coach, players and even and fellow supporters. You've just got to remember that they're probably unpopular opinions, and if you spend most of your time posting those opinions in Geelong-centric forums, you're gonna get some kickback. It'd be the same if you were a Richmond supporter who felt that way about the club. You've just got to remember that it'll happen no matter what you do.

Look up what victim blaming is. You are one of those people that do it.

Is that arrogance though?

I can certainly see where you're coming from but I interpret it as gratitude. It's not "I'm better than you" it's "We've got a lot to be thankful for, put it all in perspective and see how lucky we are in comparison to others"

Tigers and Cats have both got plenty of supporters like this, but like all fanbases we've got our ******** as well.
With that poster, it is arrogance. Looking at the posting history proves as such.

Look up what victim blaming is. You are one of those people that do it.

lol maybe you look it up mate because nothing I said was victim blaming and nothing Sky said was victimising themselves.

Not sure your point here.

If I give my polite response to your OP though I'd be asking a lot of 'how do you know?' questions. From listening to cynical fools like Partridge, Bob and Blighty and Co... Guess what. Our Grand Final victory absolutely shattered a lot of what these types have been waffling on about for years. No wonder their content would get critiqued regularly, and why they're all absent now we've won and their s**t is exposed for all to see.

So Nick, how do you know they only care about making profits? Have you not heard how many times since covid they've spoken about had bad they've felt over the droves of staff that had to be let go. (Scott himself coaching in 2020 for free so they could pay assistants). Profits are important in businesses though.

How do you know they don't give a s**t? Could it not be argued that they simply were falling short and slowly learning from their mistakes? Lots of premiership sides first experience finals heartaches before breaking through. Melbourne 2019, Richmond 2017-20, Geelong 2007-11; '22, Port 2004 etc.

Scott a tosser? Coached for free and cares deeply about the wider GFC staff and community. I know and play sport with some of Danger's best mates. Their view of him is vastly different to yours. Just like you know Parfitt and could tell us what he's like as a person.
I’m able to give my thoughts if you really want them but we both know there are no actual facts involved. Truthfully I don’t want to dispute any of your post because it would be a complete waste of both our time. I’ve been shut up far too many times this year and had plenty of comments come back to bite me on the ass since we just won a premiership. The words of very disillusioned fan who got made to look like an idiot 9 months later.

Sure. Generally been a pessimistic supporter in the last decade but I’m not normally over the top about it. I will generally post my criticisms but won’t argue them. I think I’m quite fair to the rest of you eternal optimists because whilst I generally agree with the names you brought up, I at least do it without posting 500 times a week and draining everyone on our board.

Mate you see what I post. 95% of my posts on our board are two sentences or less. Because when I see people like you who could destroy me in a couple paragraphs - I just don't want to bother as I feel unworthy of speaking to people who can actually construct a couple paragraphs together.

There is a mental health thread pinned on this very board and right now my biggest issue is not my OP but seeing our sooking Cats fans bully Tigers fans (such as Falcon). Not you specifically but others harass him like a pack of wolves and that’s a form cyberbullying. The internet is an escape for so many people worldwide and you knew me better than anyone else on this website. If anything I thought you’d be proud of that because I’ve grown up a s**t ton.

Other Geelong fans can say what they want about Richmond fans but I’ve not seen a Tiger fan single out one specific Cats supporter as if they’re prey. That’s pathetic.

As far as Chris Scott, Patrick Dangerfield and the GFC are concerned I am content Gero.

I’m getting there

I’m able to give my thoughts if you really want them but we both know there are no actual facts involved. Truthfully I don’t want to dispute any of your post because it would be a complete waste of both our time. I’ve been shut up far too many times this year and had plenty of comments come back to bite me on the ass since we just won a premiership. The words of very disillusioned fan who got made to look like an idiot 9 months later.

Sure. Generally been a pessimistic supporter in the last decade but I’m not normally over the top about it. I will generally post my criticisms but won’t argue them. I think I’m quite fair to the rest of you eternal optimists because whilst I generally agree with the names you brought up, I at least do it without posting 500 times a week and draining everyone on our board.

Mate you see what I post. 95% of my posts on our board are two sentences or less. Because when I see people like you who could destroy me in a couple paragraphs - I just don't want to bother as I feel unworthy of speaking to people who can actually construct a couple paragraphs together.

There is a mental health thread pinned on this very board and right now my biggest issue is not my OP but seeing our sooking Cats fans bully Tigers fans (such as Falcon). Not you specifically but others harass him like a pack of wolves and that’s a form cyberbullying. The internet is an escape for so many people worldwide and you knew me better than anyone else on this website. If anything I thought you’d be proud of that because I’ve grown up a s**t ton.

Other Geelong fans can say what they want about Richmond fans but I’ve not seen a Tiger fan single out one specific Cats supporter as if they’re prey. That’s pathetic.

As far as Chris Scott, Patrick Dangerfield and the GFC are concerned I am content Gero.

I rate you as a poster mate and please do correct me if I'm wrong...but I'm pretty sure you've liked posts that have been 'bullying' Falcon as well as posting some comments his way yourself.

Again, feel free to correct me as I'm just going off of memory here, but it seems strange to take the moral high ground now if that's the case.

Well I can see why oppo fans dislike us but that's partially because you guys weren't around paying attention to us when our club was at our worst. It was our supporters dark humour and the ability to take the mickey out of ourselves that made losing so bearable. It's that same feature we use on opposition supporters now we are winning that leads to us to being so disliked.

Dont get me wrong we have a few DH's that even today will be happy to tell us what the club is
doing wrong even when we win, but I reckon it's only the minority.

I work and study in a psychology field so I just wanted to put this out there. Not wanting to have a go at anyone here just putting thoughts out there and if mods feel the post should be moved then by all means go for it.

It's a tough subject, and I can certainly see an empathy and care in your response which is to be appreciated. I don't know you personally, but if you have grown up then that's great, and it's good to see you working through things and becoming a better person.

However, on your bullying comment, what should be preached is that before you can judge and victimise, you have to distance yourself and protect yourself from what you're doing.

In the therapy field we use a perfect world analogy a lot, and what that means is exactly what you're preaching. In a perfect world we'd all be allowed to speak however we like about anybody or anything, where none of us disagree and everyone has total free speech.....unfortunately we don't live in this world and we never have; or will.

Basically what I'm trying to say is this. For people like the one you're referencing, it's important to also look at yourself and how you're antagonising these bullies, as you put it. Look at what you're saying and see how this may influence others to do what they do, especially if you're struggling because you're just heaping more vitriol onto yourself, which obviously isn't a good thing.

If Falcon was just posting about the weather, or what he had for breakfast this morning and those posters you mentioned were still 'hunting' him then by all means your point is justified, but he's not. There's a clear pattern of behaviour here.

It's an unfortunate reality and it shouldn't have to be this way, but bullying really is about protecting yourself. It's cruel mate and I can see what you're trying to say and I agree with the sentiment, but you have to remember we do live in the real world. People have differing opinions, it's an internet forum about football which is a topic filled with passion as well as being incredibly divisive in nature.

You have to protect yourself before you can attack the problem.

The person you’re going in to bat for, it’s worth remembering, has made a habit of things like having a go at Cats fans for stuff as stupid as ‘you’re just saying this because you want people to think a Geelong player is the greatest ever’ rather than showing them the respect of saying ‘ok I disagree with you but I can see that you’re saying what you’re saying based on a set of statistical criteria as well as the fact that you witnessed this person week in week out do freakish things for a decade.’ Essentially telling people that a heartfelt opinion on the game is invalid. That invites a prickly response. Levelling theories about certain players, coaches or teams, having page after page of considered, thoughtful and most importantly scientifically backed evidence posted in response, and then providing the ‘because I said so’ defence similarly courts an exasperated response.

As an example, telling an entire supporter base (ours) that we keep making finals and top four because of our ground:

This is a point of real contention for cats fans: why wouldn’t it be? We are being told that ‘hey everything you’ve achieved in the last 16 years hasn’t been earned properly because you have a home ground.’ Now even if we had a poor away record, every team has a home ground and plenty of them play at home a lot more than we do.
So if our record AWAY was poor, we could STILL mount a defence to say ‘well what makes our home ground advantage any less fair than the other 17 teams?’

We didn’t do that. We - well I for one, and maybe others I can’t recall - went through the time period from AFTER our last flag, and worked out that our winning percentage AWAY from Geelong, would have qualified us for the finals every season that we’ve made them and would have put us in the top four every season we’ve made the top four except for 1.

That’s playing EXCLUSIVELY away from Geelong.

That’s not an opinion, that’s a mathematical fact.

The response to being shown this data?

‘Geelong only makes top four year after year because of its home ground.’

How else are people to respond to that sort of blindness to reality if not with jabs about someone’s ability to process data?

100 per cent I admire your openness in this forum and your ability to empathise with other posters and leap to their defence etc. nothing to be criticised.

But don’t close yourself off to the signs of what leads to those exchanges in the first place

I rate you as a poster mate and please do correct me if I'm wrong...but I'm pretty sure you've liked posts that have been 'bullying' Falcon as well as posting some comments his way yourself.

Again, feel free to correct me as I'm just going off of memory here, but it seems strange to take the moral high ground now if that's the case.
Yeah no denying initially but I think the difference is the poor guy didn’t have to call me out in this thread for it because it got too much. I’ve been checking up on him in PM for a long time just to see if he’s all good. Majority of my posts are banter and I think he gets it since I had about 12 likes from him yesterday.

The person you’re going in to bat for, it’s worth remembering, has made a habit of things like having a go at Cats fans for stuff as stupid as ‘you’re just saying this because you want people to think a Geelong player is the greatest ever’ rather than showing them the respect of saying ‘ok I disagree with you but I can see that you’re saying what you’re saying based on a set of statistical criteria as well as the fact that you witnessed this person week in week out do freakish things for a decade.’ Essentially telling people that a heartfelt opinion on the game is invalid. That invites a prickly response. Levelling theories about certain players, coaches or teams, having page after page of considered, thoughtful and most importantly scientifically backed evidence posted in response, and then providing the ‘because I said so’ defence similarly courts an exasperated response.

As an example, telling an entire supporter base (ours) that we keep making finals and top four because of our ground:

This is a point of real contention for cats fans: why wouldn’t it be? We are being told that ‘hey everything you’ve achieved in the last 16 years hasn’t been earned properly because you have a home ground.’ Now even if we had a poor away record, every team has a home ground and plenty of them play at home a lot more than we do.
So if our record AWAY was poor, we could STILL mount a defence to say ‘well what makes our home ground advantage any less fair than the other 17 teams?’

We didn’t do that. We - well I for one, and maybe others I can’t recall - went through the time period from AFTER our last flag, and worked out that our winning percentage AWAY from Geelong, would have qualified us for the finals every season that we’ve made them and would have put us in the top four every season we’ve made the top four except for 1.

That’s playing EXCLUSIVELY away from Geelong.

That’s not an opinion, that’s a mathematical fact.

The response to being shown this data?

‘Geelong only makes top four year after year because of its home ground.’

How else are people to respond to that sort of blindness to reality if not with jabs about someone’s ability to process data?

100 per cent I admire your openness in this forum and your ability to empathise with other posters and leap to their defence etc. nothing to be criticised.

But don’t close yourself off to the signs of what leads to those exchanges in the first place
You treat his opinions as if he just reiterates the same stuff on repeat but he’s no lost cause. Dude liked one of my posts calling Brad Scott a good coach. Maybe all the effort you collective go through to ‘own’ him even if unintentional comes off on that high horse I said Cats fans were on.

He complimented our coach yesterday which sure looked like a backhanded one but nobody is going to agree with me that Brad Scott is a good coach without admitting Chris is either.

Edit: We can drop this if you want after all we are all here to discuss footy?

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back