Roast Does anyone not like the majority of their own teams fanbase?

Remove this Banner Ad

I found our hero send off for Cousins as being a bit sad.

Seeing a portion of Richmond fans seeing him as a hero highlighted the nothingness of the Terry Wallace era and with Browns career ruined by leg injury and Richos retirement we were hard up for players that captured the imagination.

Its only one thing though and I understand why so many fell for it. But we have all embarrassed each other.

I might be doing it with this post.

Footy related, I like the Port Adelaide Faithful. There are still some Hinkley disciple Happy Clappers but in the main core Port supporters know their footy.

On the other hand, a large portion of the Port Bigfooty board, during Covid times, have shown themselves to be really whiney, scared, rabidly left wing low level public servant type soft campaigners which has been quite eye opening.
The Port board is a toxic place full of scared old white men stuck in the backwater shithole that is Adelaide and the SANFL thinking that Port is still the biggest club in the land.

Sadly most on the Port board know very little about football and how the modern day AFL is run and are blinded by Anti-Hinkley dribble.

What I hate most about Geelong fans is that the vast majority of us seem to be happy to mire in mediocrity. "Well about 15 other teams would love to be making finals every year like us". Nah, all the sh*t clubs just like laughing at us when we inevitably get bundled out without even showing up now.

What I hate the most is the way Geelong fans accuse anyone not wanting to firebomb the club offices of ‘being happy with mediocrity.’

No, genius. Most of us (read: all of us) want to win the f***ing competition but most of us also have the intellectual capacity to understand that every year 17 teams DONT win the competition so being ahead of 14-15 of them is a better position to be in than being stuck down the bottom with no conceivable reason for watching the game most weekends

I’m utterly ******* stumped as to how the ‘dickhead’ demographic within our fan base can’t reconcile that ‘not wanting to sue the club doesn’t equal being happy with not winning.’

Even my passion for the navy blues pisses off my Carlton friends. I'm soooooo one-eyed I swear the water in the shower in is coloured Navy blue, and there's nothing in this world you can say or do to show me otherwise. Apologies if you know me :)

What I hate the most is the way Geelong fans accuse anyone not wanting to firebomb the club offices of ‘being happy with mediocrity.’

No, genius. Most of us (read: all of us) want to win the f***ing competition but most of us also have the intellectual capacity to understand that every year 17 teams DONT win the competition so being ahead of 14-15 of them is a better position to be in than being stuck down the bottom with no conceivable reason for watching the game most weekends

I’m utterly ******* stumped as to how the ‘dickhead’ demographic within our fan base can’t reconcile that ‘not wanting to sue the club doesn’t equal being happy with not winning.’
Alright genius. Maybe I have the intellectual capacity to understand that the club has, since about 2016, topped up and recruited in order to win the premiership and they have not been able to do so. Instead, they've been bundled out in finals every year except for 2020 in disgraceful fashion. Doesn't mean I want to sue the club, but doesn't mean I sit here and think "gee at least we're ahead of 14 or 15 other clubs even if it means we stink in September each year!".

Alright genius. Maybe I have the intellectual capacity to understand that the club has, since about 2016, topped up and recruited in order to win the premiership and they have not been able to do so. Instead, they've been bundled out in finals every year except for 2020 in disgraceful fashion. Doesn't mean I want to sue the club, but doesn't mean I sit here and think "gee at least we're ahead of 14 or 15 other clubs even if it means we stink in September each year!".

That’s great. The fact that I haven’t disowned the club and everything to do with it doesn’t mean I’m any happier about not winning than you are, does it. I’m just in charge of my faculty enough to know that if we did something completely different, that might have been no more successful and as someone who’s life and career HASNT been built around playing, coaching and administering AFL football I’m happy enough to defer to those who’s lives have been and accept that they know better than me.

I certainly enjoy going to Crows games in Melbourne and being in the minority - I guess it's easier to disassociate yourself from the majority of people and let's face it majority of folks are morons and no one wants to be considered part of that

I reckon it's got nothing to do with Adelaide supporters and this would be the case no matter who I barracked for

Have to say I enjoy watching a game in Melbourne once a year as opposed to going to games at Adelaide Oval for similar reasons. Also, more atmosphere at games in Melbourne. Make to much noise at Adelaide Oval and people look at you wondering what you are doing.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Don't forget losing a Prelim final, after leading at half time, after finishing top of the ladder after home and away, only to be told by the Club President that expecting to make the Grand final was weird.

I'd respectfully disagree with 2016 too as when we started topping up. We started in 2012 by getting Jared Rivers and particularly Hamish McIntosh. Our great and glorious habit of trading picks away for mature retreads started then. It isn't recent and as you rightly say, it hasn't delivered.

Just don't question it. You'll be weird. Or perhaps part of the 'dickhead' demographic as our friend so generously phrased it.

Let’s be honest about the club, too. They simply do not give a sh*t, they are just happy to make the 8 every year and maybe make a profit. I cannot think of a fanbase that sooks as much as ours. You also couldn’t find a more perfect pair of tossers to be the main focus. Chris Scott and Patrick Dangerfield. They’re embarrassing.

It's not the whole fanbase thankfully. But I've noticed a definite shift, and you can date it. From September 2017, immediately after the Qualifying final.

One of the good things about our premiership era (aside from the three shiny cups of course) was outside factors were simply never discussed by the club. Or very rarely. Didn't mention where finals were, didn't complain about the draw, nothing. I vividly and clearly recall Thompson being really excited about playing the odd home and away game during 2007 at the MCG - so they could prepare for big games and finals. Fast forward ten years, and now our senior coach thinks it's better to bitch and moan about where we play finals instead of worrying about building a team good enough to win them.

Can't disagree about Scott and Dangerfield either. Particularly after Dangerfield started his September habit of disappearing under pressure.

Don't forget losing a Prelim final, after leading at half time, after finishing top of the ladder after home and away, only to be told by the Club President that expecting to make the Grand final was weird.

I'd respectfully disagree with 2016 too as when we started topping up. We started in 2012 by getting Jared Rivers and particularly Hamish McIntosh. Our great and glorious habit of trading picks away for mature retreads started then. It isn't recent and as you rightly say, it hasn't delivered.

Just don't question it. You'll be weird. Or perhaps part of the 'dickhead' demographic as our friend so generously phrased it.

Yes, and I’d phrase it that way again.

Thinking that someone not hating on the club because we haven’t been winning flags every year makes them ‘happy’ to not win, makes you a dickhead.

It's not the whole fanbase thankfully. But I've noticed a definite shift, and you can date it. From September 2017, immediately after the Qualifying final.

One of the good things about our premiership era (aside from the three shiny cups of course) was outside factors were simply never discussed by the club. Or very rarely. Didn't mention where finals were, didn't complain about the draw, nothing. I vividly and clearly recall Thompson being really excited about playing the odd home and away game during 2007 at the MCG - so they could prepare for big games and finals. Fast forward ten years, and now our senior coach thinks it's better to b*tch and moan about where we play finals instead of worrying about building a team good enough to win them.

Can't disagree about Scott and Dangerfield either. Particularly after Dangerfield started his September habit of disappearing under pressure.

Even this I find utterly perplexing.

Scott has never used away finals as an excuse. He has said repeatedly he’d like to play finals at home - wow, what an inhuman monster. I’d much rather a coach who left it and didn’t ask for the same privilege as what every other club enjoys

Yes, and I’d phrase it that way again.

Thinking that someone not hating on the club because we haven’t been winning flags every year makes them ‘happy’ to not win, makes you a dickhead.

All we need is Geelong fans who actually say they hate the club or that we should be winning flags every year. Yet to see any evidence of that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's a few posters on the North board who know their stuff and are usually insightful.

The majority of the posters there, however, have opinions which are, at best, bland and / or trivial.

I would imagine this is the case for all teams, though.

I haven't met that many North supporters in real life, partly because I haven't lived in Melbourne for ten years.

I dislike a few small things about Hawks fans. But it's more about individual disagreements around different issues and values. Not general dislike. It's hard to stereotype a whole fanbase in reality - as much as we try!
- the ones that share Jeff Kennetts political beliefs
- the ones that support us having pokies because other clubs have them too and can turn a blind eye to the misery they cause
- the ones that talk up our list in pre-season training, make it sound like we'll win the next 6 flags and that every new draftee is the second coming of Leigh Matthews. A bit of positivity is a good thing but they go way too far
- the ones that make excuses for violent play if it's committed by one of our own (yes I do this myself at times)

I’d have some classic arguments with Essendon supporters at games particularly involving Scott Lucas. Once they took a set against him, that was it, he copped it every game. He’d kick three and it should’ve been four. He won a b&f as a CHB...”what’s he doing down there”
Then again, I’d get into Mark Bolton and never joined in the Hird lovefest and wanted Sheedy gone many years before he actually left. Very hard to sway some people, me included. Still see the same sheedy and Hird worshippers at games, no words spoken, just a little smile.

I certainly enjoy going to Crows games in Melbourne and being in the minority - I guess it's easier to disassociate yourself from the majority of people and let's face it majority of folks are morons and no one wants to be considered part of that

I reckon it's got nothing to do with Adelaide supporters and this would be the case no matter who I barracked for
It’s just a South Australian thing, it’s not their fault

Really? Who gives a sh*t about winning finals (well.... maybe Essendon fans).

If the club isn't getting closer to a flag they are moving away from it. As a Freo fan I'm worried we are building a list that can't score similar to 2012-15 and therefore can't win a flag.

Couldn't give a sh*t about winning a final except for to make a step towards winning a flag.

Well what was the last side that won a flag and had no experience at winning finals?

Obviously the internet can make it seem worse with some of the complete weirdos you can come across but I just find as a Geelong supporter the overwhelming majority are overbearing and not up to touch with reality. The only thing I actually agree with that they have to say is the obvious home game bullshit but why didn’t anyone bring that up when we were actually any good?

Let’s be honest about the club, too. They simply do not give a sh*t, they are just happy to make the 8 every year and maybe make a profit. I cannot think of a fanbase that sooks as much as ours. You also couldn’t find a more perfect pair of tossers to be the main focus. Chris Scott and Patrick Dangerfield. They’re embarrassing.

I feel like a few people here will probably agree with what I’ve personally said about my own club. I was just wondering if anyone else was as disillusioned with their fanbase as much as me? Is this normal?

I think they are better as reality is finally setting in as they now realize the s**t's about to hit the fan.
Before we got smashed in this years finals (still comical to think many of them believed we deliberately lost to Melbourne in round 23), most our supporters were happy with our recruitment strategy and coaches.
I think only a small portion saw major flaws as far back as 6 years ago.

I guess if things turn sour in 2022, the decision to extend Chris Scott's contract may cop some heat from those who are happy with the current extension.

I think they are better as reality is finally setting in as they now realize the sh*t's about to hit the fan.
Before we got smashed in this years finals (still comical to think many of them believed we deliberately lost to Melbourne in round 23), most our supporters were happy with our recruitment strategy and coaches.
I think only a small portion saw major flaws as far back as 6 years ago.

I guess if things turn sour in 2022, the decision to extend Chris Scott's contract may cop some heat from those who are happy with the current extension.
I’ve been Scott out since the 2013 PF. I gave him the benefit of the doubt throughout the 2021 home and away season because the bloke finally took us to another grand final. After this years final series I’m back where I used to be.

One of the good things about our premiership era (aside from the three shiny cups of course) was outside factors were simply never discussed by the club. Or very rarely. Didn't mention where finals were, didn't complain about the draw, nothing. I vividly and clearly recall Thompson being really excited about playing the odd home and away game during 2007 at the MCG - so they could prepare for big games and finals. Fast forward ten years, and now our senior coach thinks it's better to b*tch and moan about where we play finals instead of worrying about building a team good enough to win them.

No surprise why you are in the group of about 2 handfuls worth of individuals that I actually take the time out of my day to read their posts on our board.

I've been a little embarrassed by some tigs supporters online, but I think there is a fair bit of overlap of inflammatory, vocal supporters and a need to express opinions/be heard so these types of places will always attract the more engaged and loud fan.

I know I'm biased and a bit of an apologist, but I do think some of our recent behaviour is justified. We were the joke of the AFL for the majority of my life and we brutally copped it for a good while. That's not to say it wasn't deserved or bloody funny, but now that we have a bit of confidence/even arrogance, it seems our replies often feel in a bad spirit in the eyes of opposition supporters. Petty and bitter.

To me though, they feel like they're in the exact same spirit as the jabs we copped over the last couple decades, it's just that they're being delivered in the wrong era if that makes sense.... Like Richmond supporters are less trying to be dicks to oppo supporters and more we are trying to be a dick to our past era of failure.

You have to understand how beaten and broken we were as a people for a long time. That's hard for a proud group and not conducive to expressing yourself classily.

That doesn't justify some of the s**t I've seen though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back