Analysis Does Reid remind anyone else of Judd?

Does Venables remind of you of Judd at points?

• Yes

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • No

Votes: 15 28.3%
  • Sort of.

Votes: 12 22.6%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 15 28.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

To sum up Reid is an older style footy player who is just ****ing exceptional. We as a club have been so very, very lucky that every time we have had a bad downturn we have found a genuine Marquee player in the draft each time.

Good point this, the club has been able to manage their marquee players very well(Cousins aside).

Even with the Judd departure, despite the obvious disappointment of him leaving, the club did the best they could in regards to the trade and unlike a number of clubs when champions leave, there's clearly been no sour grapes from either camp, as evidenced by Judd regularly visiting the club when in WA.

North are a great example of how not to handle a big name coming in the door. The way JHF was 'managed' in his first season was pretty poor. Sure, he was at fault for some things also, but the way the club aired their dirty laundry in regards to the ice-bath fiasco and sneaking home for a visit made his inevitable departure unsurprising.

Compare that to Reid, who appears to have had a few extra privileges(2 trips home since being drafted) and the club conspicuously not using him for every promotional piece(the joys of being financially stable, I guess) and he looks like a really happy player, despite the attention.

I can only imagine the scrutiny he'd be getting at North, especially if he was being played off HB and watching the ball sail over his head constantly.

Also plays a bit like prime Cooney the way he bursts away from stoppage and kicks them on the run

It is so easy to forget just how good Cooney was for a few years there. His huge downward trajectory post injury really destroyed his reputation.

Does Chris Judd remind anyone of Harley Reid? He has a similar play style, might one day be just as good

I don’t see similarities at all. Judd was significantly more explosive. If it was Judd, with that petracca chase, petracca wouldn’t have even been in screenshot. Reid is also an aerialist, which Judd was not.

Judd also didn’t habitually drop his knees or dive for free kicks. Sorry Reid I hate that and I hated when shuey did it.

No, Harley is nothing like Judd.

While Judd was a gun I think he was the prototype of the modern day emotionally detached professional footballer.

In terms of connection with club and supporters Harley has given West Coast more in 10 games than Judd did in 6 years.

TBH he doesn't really remind me of Judd at all.

He's not quite as ridiculous as Ablett Snr on the outside / as a flanker however can definitely see some comparisons there.
He has a lot of similarities in his game to Voss pre leg break
He also has a lot of similarities in his game to Hodge

He is a power athlete who for a first year player (at 18 anyway) has the best read on the play and to find the position to impact with his elite strength, power combo and very good footskills (his footskills are better than I thought). He is very, very good in a marking contest however I wouldn't quite put him at Hodge levels there. He has a high stop speed, a very good burst but not a blistering first few steps that a young Matera and Judd had. He however is spectacular at finding those little gaps and once getting towards that top speed is basically untouchable.

His natural talent across almost all areas is elite. He loves the tough stuff, in fact he thrives on it and I would put him on an equal pedestal to Judd in regards to first year players in regards to talent. It is unfortunate due to the knees however that greatly affect his career overall however at 18yo Nicnat is the most talented player i've ever seen.

He is going to need to work on his fitness as although it is again much better than I thought it would be after watching him closely the last few years I think he'll struggle with a tag and potentially be copping one as soon as next year.

I still have huge wraps on a couple of our kids but we need more talent around the ground. Hewett is the next most talented however he struggles with recovery from injury and is slightly immature. If Ginbey can drag Reid and Hewett to his level in regards to training standards then TBH it doesn't matter what player Ginbey becomes as we'll have 2 of the 10 best mids in the league in Reid and Hewett.

To sum up Reid is an older style footy player who is just ****ing exceptional. We as a club have been so very, very lucky that every time we have had a bad downturn we have found a genuine Marquee player in the draft each time.

In regards to the future and mids and flankers we need more runners who are good overhead and have good skill moving forwards but we also need a genuine burrowing mid at the foot of the ruck in the vein of Libba or Kerr. You add the inside power / outside burst game of Reid and Hewett with a player like that and the club will have a midfield that rivals some of the all time best midfields assembled.

Harley is definitely old school. His game is a throwback to 80’s in my opinion.

I see a bit of GA Snr in his forward craft, but also see alot of Leigh Matthews in him.

Strangely enough I also see a bit Maurice Rioli Snr in him with his preference for handballs.

No, Harley is nothing like Judd.

While Judd was a gun I think he was the prototype of the modern day emotionally detached professional footballer.

In terms of connection with club and supporters Harley has given West Coast more in 10 games than Judd did in 6 years.

I think supporters latched onto Reid like starving children. If you call that connection, then sure.

Yes, you certainly help him feed, as a fan. at last check, it’s $275 personal messages?

Maybe, but not a desperate poster. Not sure why there is a need to trash Judd at every opportunity.

I’m sorry mate, did I criticise your hero?
:sad face:

Judd as a player= excitement machine

Judd as a person = boring, bordering on weird with his lack of emotionality. If he wasn’t a footy player he’d be considered a weird unit.

I’m sorry mate, did I criticise your hero?
:sad face:

Judd as a player= excitement machine

Judd as a person = boring, bordering on weird with his lack of emotionality. If he wasn’t a footy player he’d be considered a weird unit.

Hey hey, it’s you who needs external stimulus to feel connected to the club or anything else by sounds of it.

So I am not sure who is a weird unit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

grandpa-abe-exit.gif

It’s a lazy comparison to me, doesn’t remind of Judd at all. Different playing styles, physical presence and personalities.

In terms of first years he has more of that Ginger Meggs audacious boy wonder vibe like a Dale Thomas or Isaac Heeney in their first year. The things he is doing are scarier than them. Judd was more explosive and then mature beyond his years.

Last edited:
We can do initial comparisons of the 2 but we need to remember Reid is 10 games in.
Will be interesting to reflect on this in 2-3 years time.

We have short memories sometimes and the shiny new toy is always better than the one we don't play with anymore.

Judd was a legend of our club that helped bring us from the bottom of the ladder to back to back GF's in a few short years winning a Brownlow, premiership and Norm smith along the way.

Reid has started out like a house on fire, not in all games mind you, but let's see where he can get to over the next few years and what sustained influence he can have on the team.

Yes he does remind me of Judd in how he is a ready made player that has hit the ground running. He takes the game on, doesn't take a backward step and hit's the scoreboard. Both are burst players with Judd hitting contests on the run and near impossible to stop whereas Reid starts at the stoppage and bursts out with strength and agility.

If Reid can do for us what Judd did I will be very very happy.
If he can go a step further well then look out, we may be at the start of an awesome journey.

Let's not bicker on who was better, has the better personality etc, lets just revel in the excitement that one player brought and another is bringing.

Back