Opinion Does WA underperform in producing AFL talent?

Has WA being underperforming in producing AFL talent?

• No, they are doing all that can be expected

Votes: 17 53.1%
  • Yes, WA could be producing more talent

Votes: 15 46.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Colts are a bit sub-standard compared to other under 18s comps but there's zero incentive for the clubs to properly invest in them, just to see the top prospects go elsewhere whilst there's clubs over East who can pretty much freely pick their best prospects.
Yeah, to me that's a massive issue for both SA and WA. Why should the state league teams spend their money, time and resources to develop kids for the AFL teams? I mean, with the Mid Season draft, even the players that don't get drafted that join the senior team can get ripped out of their teams halfway through the year.
The AFL treats the state league clubs with distain, but expects those same clubs to do all their development work for free.

Maybe my unfortunately is old but I always thought WAFL clubs get paid a bonus for each player drafted. $10,000 each.
Whether thats an incentive or just a payout is up to your point of view.

Also, WA is setup differently to Vic/Nsw. Theres hardly anything north past Perth. Perhaps 100k in total spread out.

Southwest there's a lot more that could be done. You could perhaps setup something like the GWV rebels team in the Vic talent league. Stories of 2 hours each way to get to training etc.

The main problem is the WAFL colts/futures system. Some clubs don't have great systems and a lot of the better players slip through the cracks before that point.

I also feel there's a lot more wanting to play with mates rather than to stick around in the development system from ages 15-19.

The SANFL seems to have a lot better community ties 🤷‍♂️

Back