Does the AFL need live Draft Day Trading?

Should the AFL introduce Trading Picks and Drafted Players on Draft Day?

• YES

Votes: 13 68.4%
  • NO

Votes: 6 31.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

DEESNUTSRBIG

Rookie
Feb 18, 2020
AFL Club
Melbourne
Not just trading picks like it currently has but also open up a new trade window (on the two draft days) where PLAYERS JUST DRAFTED (not other AFL players) can be traded.
Much more entertaining watching
Greater flexibility, especially trading for players from their home state

eg West Coast takes H.Reid pick 1 but can still trade him at any stage over the two draft days.
Kangas don't pick Curtain at pick 2 or 3 and now Hawthorns pick 4 + their 2024 1st could interest West Coast.
or Curtain is available at Pick 6 and now Curtain + Pick 11, 42 & 2024 1st is more appealing.
After 14 picks on draft day (West Coast already took Reid at pick 1) live trade with the Kangas for one of whoever they took at 2 or 3 + 15, 17, 18 if there are multiple West Australians they would like to draft.

Not just trading picks like it currently has but also open up a new trade window (on the two draft days) where PLAYERS JUST DRAFTED (not other AFL players) can be traded.

eg West Coast takes H.Reid pick 1 but can still trade him at any stage over the two draft days.
Kangas don't pick Curtain at pick 2 or 3 and now Hawthorns pick 4 + their 2024 1st could interest West Coast.
or Curtain is available at Pick 6 and now Curtain + Pick 11, 42 & 2024 1st is more appealing.
After 14 picks on draft day (West Coast already took Reid at pick 1) live trade with the Kangas for one of whoever they took at 2 or 3 + 15, 17, 18 if there are multiple West Australians they would like to draft.
People get frustrated at how slow the draft is.

My thinking is that the draft primary goal is the vehicle where teams get better and not for enjoyment of the viewer.

Yes, it would be a bit funny receiving a jumper from another club, then being traded to another. But for me if more players go to place where teams really want them is a better outcome for all.

Another counter is how would a player feel. For me, the draft trade is limited to 2 days its not a big deal long term.

Probably not the best example to use, considering WCE would take McKercher before Curtin and have historically favoured interstate players of WA players in the first round over the past decade, but it has potential.

Having said that, I don't think the clubs would be all that keen on stuffing players around once their number has already been picked, nor would the AFL after the song and dance they currently do for the top 10.

Can't ever see it happening.

Probably not the best example to use, considering WCE would take McKercher before Curtin and have historically favoured interstate players of WA players in the first round over the past decade, but it has potential.

Having said that, I don't think the clubs would be all that keen on stuffing players around once their number has already been picked, nor would the AFL after the song and dance they currently do for the top 10.

Can't ever see it happening.
That's right, it might be rarely used.

I would see that the drafted player would likely be a later pick.

Should be an option,

I'm going no because the AFL has already overly complicated the draft enough already and will further make things complicated and slow things up.
To stop the suspense maybe the first thing they could do is bring it forward a week...This waiting is killing me...

People get frustrated at how slow the draft is.

My thinking is that the draft primary goal is the vehicle where teams get better and not for enjoyment of the viewer.

Yes, it would be a bit funny receiving a jumper from another club, then being traded to another. But for me if more players go to place where teams really want them is a better outcome for all.

Another counter is how would a player feel. For me, the draft trade is limited to 2 days its not a big deal long term.
The draft is only as slow as it is because the AFL want to give Dicko 5 minutes to have a chat after each pick, but I didn’t really need the 60 seconds learning that Jed Walter’s grandmother is proud of him. Leave all of that nonsense for the clubs to push in their own website and social channels.

Clubs aren’t taking 5 minutes to make a selection any more, and they don’t really need the time to wheel and deal right before the pick if they can still trade the rights to the player. Maybe give each club a single 3 minute extension across the draft.

The slowness of the draft is easily solved and shouldn’t be the reason to block this. The main reason I’m against it is because there are about 10 other issues RE: draft and competition integrity that the AFL executive should be focussing on before solving a non-issue.

Draft would go faster if it wasnt televised.
But fox and the afl have created a beast (a la the brownlow) so we just accept that

I dont mind live trading of players.
Example with Curtin. Eagles werent really sure where he'd go. But once taken there's now a value on him. They can then offer what they feel is equitable for him at the pick he was taken at. Rather than give away more.

Could potentially help this academy skew as well
Eg roos take walter at 2. GCS need to offer up more than just points to get him and have to appease the roos for missing out on the next best player on their list

The draft is only as slow as it is because the AFL want to give Dicko 5 minutes to have a chat after each pick, but I didn’t really need the 60 seconds learning that Jed Walter’s grandmother is proud of him. Leave all of that nonsense for the clubs to push in their own website and social channels.

Clubs aren’t taking 5 minutes to make a selection any more, and they don’t really need the time to wheel and deal right before the pick if they can still trade the rights to the player. Maybe give each club a single 3 minute extension across the draft.

The slowness of the draft is easily solved and shouldn’t be the reason to block this. The main reason I’m against it is because there are about 10 other issues RE: draft and competition integrity that the AFL executive should be focussing on before solving a non-issue.
Even still, the draft is vehicle to get better and entertaining event is a secondary thought.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even still, the draft is vehicle to get better and entertaining event is a secondary thought.
Clearly that’s not what the AFL currently thinks which is why have the 5 minutes between every pick to interview players, etc. Being able to trade players would give clubs more flexibility to get better and would cut back in a lot if the bells and whistles entertainment.

Back