Mid-Season Trading and AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Exactly. Not sure why some people want to restrict it to fringe players. Teams would have to pay crazy overs for top players and teams could still say no like they can do now for players under contract. If player decides to go it does not matter if it's mid-season or off-season. At least at mid-season team would be paid handsomely.

It will be interesting to see how cap will be handled. I would even give exemptions of salary part going over the cap until the end of season. And team losing player be able to use gap in cap in future.

I would even allow the top players. Think how much a top team would pay through the nose for a player they really want/need to win a flag that year. They would pay considerably more than they would in a trade period at the end of the year.

I would even allow the top players. Think how much a top team would pay through the nose for a player they really want/need to win a flag that year. They would pay considerably more than they would in a trade period at the end of the year.

Correct and the losing team has leverage of a contract to get a fairer trade rather than getting less at end of year when the player is ooc.

FARCE - it's something the AFL does so well and this will be no different.

AFLX

NGA's

Discounts on top draftees

Drafting top players with junk picks

A Points Scale that bears no resemblance to what those picks are worth in the real world of clubs trading

Have a rule that only allow clubs to hold draft picks for actual main list vacancies in the lead up to the ND, then at 7.01pm on draft night simply throw that rule out and allow clubs to hold a box full of junk picks regardless of their list vacancies

Compo picks being manipulated by clubs giving overweight two year contracts, then once the trade is done, a more sensible 4 or 5 year contract is wheeled out

Clubs will be manipulating the MST the moment the ill thought through rules are announced by the AFL

The only rule that could save the MST is a financial one. Contracts can't be back ended and are set in stone (like Buddy's and not like Daniher's) and clubs must have room in their salary cap that year to trade a player in.

I'd like to know which clubs are actually pushing for this, a certainty that it's the big Vic clubs. It will distort the run to the flag and probably enable clubs to buy a flag, at the expense of other contenders. Vicbias at work again.

If this is a way to have a single bye round, and never see the likes of round zero ever again, i don't mind it.

It's risky though
Mid season you have players knowing the strategy, fitness, and game plan of their club for the year, then stepping over to a rival.

You're also dealing with picks not settled
E.g you trade with carlton mid year in '23. Get to end of the '23 and you're not as happy with what you acquired.
And its not like a future pick trade where current picks could be an alternative. There are no current picks.
Unless they're locked at that point if traded.

I dont see the benefit or the need.

Only plus I see is it gives clubs with a free agent or OOC player to have two opps to get the most for their player

I honestly can't imagine the broadcasters would support something like this.

If the teams out of contention can get raided by contending teams (which is realistically what would happen), then the number of non-competitive games towards the end of the season would very likely increase. The strong get even stronger and the weak get even weaker.

This would likely drive viewers and interest away as the season goes on.

If the teams out of contention can get raided by contending teams (which is realistically what would happen), then the number of non-competitive games towards the end of the season would very likely increase. The strong get even stronger and the weak get even weaker.

I would think the salary cap would stop absolute pillaging. You've still got to be able to fit them in and I don't reckon too many top 6 teams go in with 800k+ spare. Certainly not enough for it to change a meaningful amount of games. That and I don't like top 6 clubs with average picks chances of actually dislodging top end players from cellar dwellers in season unless they are OOC that year.

It's not like we'd have given up Serong half way through 2023 for Port's 1st and future 1st just because we were ****. Even if he wanted to go they'd still need an absolute bounty to get him.

I don't think they're the types that will be traded mid-season. More likely the role player to fill an immediate gap. Say a Taberner to Dees or last year a Golstein to Port. Something like that.

It will be depth players like you describe for sure but it will also be impact players (icing on the cake)

Stringer, Wingard (if healthy), Yeo, Walters, etc.

I can see this turning into the vast majority of trades involving vic players to other vic clubs. Absolute disaster for non-vfl sides.

It will when it involves older guys with kids (who often cant go interstate mid year) but with younger players you will have ones willing to move north mid year.

It will when it involves older guys with kids (who often cant go interstate mid year) but with younger players you will have ones willing to move north mid year.

Not saying there won't be trades outside of Vic, but my view is the overwhelming majority will be Vic to Vic. It'll be so unequal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not saying there won't be trades outside of Vic, but my view is the overwhelming majority will be Vic to Vic. It'll be so unequal.
It will be no different to standard trade period. Only in MST teams will have to overpay. Lions will have no problem to attract players like they did in past 5 years or so.

One could argue finals bound team will benefit but they will have to pay up. If player decides to leave the club it really does not matter if it's 3 months earlier or during trade period. At least bottom teams get overs.

In very rare scenarios you may find a player willing to move interstate mid year because some unique opportunity comes up, like the ruck.

Every other move will be Victorian clubs trading amongst themselves and 'interstate' players moving home.

Seems like something that is being driven almost entirely by the media.

And will just be another thing that overwhelmingly favours Victorian clubs.

Cal twomey is AFL and the AFL are pushing the article hard.

It will be no different to standard trade period. Only in MST teams will have to overpay. Lions will have no problem to attract players like they did in past 5 years or so.
Moving interstate over a 2-3 month period (while you are on a work break) is a hell of a lot easier then moving interstate in a week and being expected to train and play instantly.

Players will have to accept the trade off of living in someones spare room for the rest of the season, without the majority of their possessions, including things we take for granted like their car. Some players this won't affect, other players would rule it out immediately.

It'll definitely be a disadvantage, I reckon only the truly desperate will come to WA unless one of the two teams are legitimately challenging

In very rare scenarios you may find a player willing to move interstate mid year because some unique opportunity comes up, like the ruck.

Every other move will be Victorian clubs trading amongst themselves and 'interstate' players moving home.

Thats true the ruck merry go round will make that the exception and teams with ruck injuries will look to trade in. I agree mostly it will be vic to vic players plus some go homes.

Is it? s**t teams don't hand over their stars at the trade table now, why would mid-season be any different?

Seems like something that is being driven almost entirely by the media.

And will just be another thing that overwhelmingly favours Victorian clubs.
Yet more Vicbias in this idea. Let's just wait and see if the A(V)FL allow clubs to go over their salary cap for that season to accommodate a MS trade or whether they allow dodgy back ended contracts to be used to circumvent the cap.

I notice the AFL website interviews five Vic coaches to get their thoughts on a MSD. Vic clubs are of course the beneficiaries, the bigger the Vic club the more benefit. Oh wow, Craig McCrae is all for for it - go figure!

Non Vic clubs will find it difficult to compete at a MSD, northern clubs even more so, as they have very few potential go homers in the system.

Would be really interesting to see which clubs are strongly for and which clubs are strongly against but we won't be told, keep it Vicbias secret.

I can't be the only one who believes that winning a premiership after switching clubs mid-season would be a completely different and somewhat hollow feeling compared to the grind of beginning a pre-season and claiming the cup almost a year later with the same players around you?

That's a massive contributor to why I hate the concept.

How about a contending side loses two key talls and unless they can bring in replacements they wont make the grand final? So the entire squad and club suffers due to bad luck.

And no player is moving without consent and agreeing to new contract terms and conditions. Thats a given when you may only be on $500k, not $50 million like players are in the US in other sports.

How about a contending side loses two key talls and unless they can bring in replacements they wont make the grand final? So the entire squad and club suffers due to bad luck.

And no player is moving without consent and agreeing to new contract terms and conditions. Thats a given when you may only be on $500k, not $50 million like players are in the US in other sports.

List attrition is a good thing, not bad.

The better hypothetical is this. West Coast and Carlton are both at the pointy end of the ladder competing for a flag. Both lose two key players from the same area of the ground. Carlton is able to trade for 2 replacements from other Vic clubs. West Coast can't attract anyone over to Perth. Carlton thrash West Coast in a prelim to make the granny using the two replacements. That is what'll happen.

List attrition is a good thing, not bad.

The better hypothetical is this. West Coast and Carlton are both at the pointy end of the ladder competing for a flag. Both lose two key players from the same area of the ground. Carlton is able to trade for 2 replacements from other Vic clubs. West Coast can't attract anyone over to Perth. Carlton thrash West Coast in a prelim to make the granny using the two replacements. That is what'll happen.
Cancel all trading?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back