Mid-Season Trading and AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 20, 2008
#freeMelbourne #SackDan
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
The Super Saiyans, Tasmania Devils
Given that the AFL is potentially going to have MST at some point how do you think the machinations will work?

Will it mean that teams that are in the bottom part of the ladder lose players to top 8/4 teams?

Will there be a quasi mid-season break to allow trades to happen to give list managers and teams time?

Thoughts?

MST trading should only be established to aid the careers of depth players and journeymen. If a player has played a certain number of games by let's say round 10 (MST to occur the following week), they should be ineligible to be traded. It'd be a travesty to see a premiership decided by a star player moving from the bottom 10 to a top side at the halfway point of the year.

MST trading should only be established to aid the careers of depth players and journeymen. If a player has played a certain number of games by let's say round 10 (MST to occur the following week), they should be ineligible to be traded. It'd be a travesty to see a premiership decided by a star player moving from the bottom 10 to a top side at the halfway point of the year.
As opposed to waiting for end of season for star players moving to top sides?

It allows teams to fill needs- NRL has a losn system that benefits both sides. NBA players have been traded mid game.

Players hold to much power in the league. Nominating teams is pathetic. Trade them to the best offer and accept you play in a national comp.

As opposed to waiting for end of season for star players moving to top sides?

It allows teams to fill needs- NRL has a losn system that benefits both sides. NBA players have been traded mid game.

Players hold to much power in the league. Nominating teams is pathetic. Trade them to the best offer and accept you play in a national comp.
Yes. There is a gigantic difference between switching clubs in October, enduring pre-season and other off-season moves by the club, and switching in May when the season is halfway done.

Could there be some anti-player power movement to the betterment of the game? Yes, there could be; but I do believe players have the right to look after their interests just as much as the clubs do. I don't agree with non-consensual trading.

I'd argue list management is too easy these days and this will only make building top lists even easier and will destabilise equalisation. List management used to be an art that was tough to perfect. With free agency, SSP and the mid-season draft now in place, I think mid-season trading is too much.

As long as the players are under contract and can't be traded against their will, the idea of the top sides cleaning out the bottom sides lists wont happen unless they come up with adequate compensation. It's more likely the contending clubs desperate to replace a tall or ruck will pay overs as opposed to an end of season trade. I'd like a 3 week window during the bye period, the only rule being it has to involve a player, no pick swaps, multiple clubs trades are fine.

As long as the players are under contract and can't be traded against their will, the idea of the top sides cleaning out the bottom sides lists wont happen unless they come up with adequate compensation. It's more likely the contending clubs desperate to replace a tall or ruck will pay overs as opposed to an end of season trade. I'd like a 3 week window during the bye period, the only rule being it has to involve a player, no pick swaps, multiple clubs trades are fine.
Some trades might happen to "clear out" stars from bottom sides but it will be players who are already planning to leave.

Say that North are clearly out of finals and Tarryn Thomas says that he is definitely leaving after the season. The destination team might offer a little more to get it done mid season to have him for a finals run.

But yeah, clubs won't be pressured to trade contracted players for nothing.

I can't be the only one who believes that winning a premiership after switching clubs mid-season would be a completely different and somewhat hollow feeling compared to the grind of beginning a pre-season and claiming the cup almost a year later with the same players around you?

That's a massive contributor to why I hate the concept.

I can't be the only one who believes that winning a premiership after switching clubs mid-season would be a completely different and somewhat hollow feeling compared to the grind of beginning a pre-season and claiming the cup almost a year later with the same players around you?

Do you think Pickett has a hollow feeling?

I just can't see how this would work with the salary cap unless you pick up a very cheap player, which usually means that they aren't that good. If so, why would you bother?

I just can't see how this would work with the salary cap unless you pick up a very cheap player, which usually means that they aren't that good. If so, why would you bother?

It would mainly be clubs that have frontloaded the cap in the previous year and therefore have more room in the current year that use it.

Unless they allow clubs to for eg trade out 2 or 3 lower tier guys (with their consent) to create the cap room to bring a higher profile guy in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How much of an advantage will this be to Victorian clubs, who have 9 other local clubs they can get players from?

I would imagine, it would be hard to get a player to move interstate at short notice, especially if he has a young family.
You reckon? I'd say a fringey toiling away in the VFL would jump at the chance for regular AFL footy and likely more money.

If this is introduced I think 1st round picks shouldn't be able to be traded, it should be more for fringe players to move.

If this is introduced I think 1st round picks shouldn't be able to be traded, it should be more for fringe players to move.

Needs to be a fringe player rule.
Once regular senior players start requesting trades mid season the competition is absolutely stuffed.

I'd make it so strict that the player can't have played a single senior game in the current season.

Needs to be a fringe player rule.
Once regular senior players start requesting trades mid season the competition is absolutely stuffed.

I'd make it so strict that the player can't have played a single senior game in the current season.
That's a bit much IMO. Maybe if they've played more AFL footy than reserves footy they're ineligible to be traded or something....

I think a fringe player is unlikely to make a difference.

The player you want is a top 2-3 players at the club, aged 30 or over, in a club that won't make the finals.
I don't think they're the types that will be traded mid-season. More likely the role player to fill an immediate gap. Say a Taberner to Dees or last year a Golstein to Port. Something like that.

I don't think they're the types that will be traded mid-season. More likely the role player to fill an immediate gap. Say a Taberner to Dees or last year a Golstein to Port. Something like that.
If it is only Taberner, or Goldstein then I don't think they will make a difference. Having said that, I don't think Goldstein would move to Port, when he is already playing at North.

The type of player I am talking about is a Tom Lynch, or Jeremy Cameron level player.

Imagine if Port and Melbourne is top 4, but forward line is struggling, and Richmond and Geelong are bottom 6 with an aging list.

If Geelong and Richmond are happy to trade the player, who would they go to?

Why would you move interstate, when you don't even have to move house.

If it is only Taberner, or Goldstein then I don't think they will make a difference. Having said that, I don't think Goldstein would move to Port, when he is already playing at North.

The type of player I am talking about is a Tom Lynch, or Jeremy Cameron level player.

Imagine if Port and Melbourne is top 4, but forward line is struggling, and Richmond and Geelong are bottom 6 with an aging list.

If Geelong and Richmond are happy to trade the player, who would they go to?

Why would you move interstate, when you don't even have to move house.
Goldstein was already playing at North when he left to go to Bombers a few months ago so I don't really understand where you're coming form there. Everyone who is traded plays for someone until they dont.

A targeted role player could make all the difference to a team pushing for finals or a flag IMO.

Got no problem with it actually as it would benefit teams lower down the ladder as a team in contention might be willing to overpay for a player they think they need in order to win the flag.
Exactly. Not sure why some people want to restrict it to fringe players. Teams would have to pay crazy overs for top players and teams could still say no like they can do now for players under contract. If player decides to go it does not matter if it's mid-season or off-season. At least at mid-season team would be paid handsomely.

It will be interesting to see how cap will be handled. I would even give exemptions of salary part going over the cap until the end of season. And team losing player be able to use gap in cap in future.

I dont think it matters whether it is one of their best players or VFL regular, they'd feel vindicated.

I'm against it, but the AFL will love it for the attention it draws.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back