Review Dogs down Blues 79-59

Remove this Banner Ad

Libbas goal in the last was the absolute moment for me. To hit back when the opposition took the lead/their entitled fan base thought they'd steam roll us was unreal. In the first couple of rounds we lose that - we're slowly improving.

The spirit of this club cannot be questioned/the goals after that were a bonus. Go dogs!

As always…

Expected Score / Actual Score

WB: 70 / 79
CA: 64 / 59

Expected Margin / Actual Margin: +6 / +20

Centre Bounce Attendance
22 - Bontempelli
20 - English. B. Smith
15 - Liberatore
10 - Daniel
3 - Lobb
2 - Macrae

Ruck Contests (Hitouts / To Advantage / Sharked)
85 - English (30 / 6 / 12)
19 - Lobb (7 / 1 / 0)
1 - Naughton (1 / 0 / 0)

Hitouts To Advantage
WB: 7
CA: 19

English v Pittonet (71 contests)
Hitouts: 22 / 43
To Advantage: 5 / 17
Clearances: 29 / 24
Score: 3.2 (20) / 1.4 (10)

English v Silvagni (13 contests)
Hitouts: 8 / 3
To Advantage: 1 / 1
Clearances: 6 / 3
Score: 0.0 (0) / 0.0 (0)

Lobb v Pittonet (11 contests)
Hitouts: 2 / 5
To Advantage: 0 / 1
Clearances: 5 / 5
Score: 0.1 (1) / 1.1 (7)

Lobb v Silvagni (8 contests)
Hitouts: 5 / 2
To Advantage: 1 / 0
Clearances: 4 / 2
Score: 2.0 (12) / 0.0 (0)

First Possessions
WB: 34

CA: 53

Clearances / Effective Clearances
WB: 44 / 34
CA: 36 / 30

Tackle Efficiency
WB: 61%
CA: 59%

Smothers

CA: 4

Forward Half Kicking Efficiency
WB: 58%
CA: 47%

Defensive Half Kicking Efficiency
WB: 77%
CA: 67%

Forward Half Contested Marks
WB: 6
CA: 4

Defensive Half Contested Marks
WB: 3
CA: 5

Score Launches
4 - Johannisen
3 - English, Liberatore, Richards
2 - Bontempelli, Daniel, Lobb, B. Smith
1 - Duryea, Gardner

Targets Inside 50

17 - No target/rushed
8 - Naughton
6 - Ugle-Hagen
4 - Scott
3 - Williams
2 - A. Jones, O’Donnell

Shots At Goal
WB: 21 (52%)
CA: 21 (38%)

Scoring Profile (Western Bulldogs / Carlton)
Set Shot: 6.5 / 6.6
Snap: 3.4 / 2.2
On Run: 2.1 / 0.1
Mark Play On: 0.0 / 0.0
Ground Kick: 0.0 / 0.0

0M-15M: 1.1 / 0.0
15M-30M: 2.5 / 1.2
31M-40M: 2.3 / 2.3
41M-50M: 3.1 / 4.1
51M+: 3.0 / 1.3

Scores Directly From FK/50MP: 0.0 / 0.1
Scores In Time-On: 6.5 / 2.4
Scores Sourced From D50: 1.2 / 1.2

Score Assists
3 - Naughton
2 - A. Jones, Ugle-Hagen, Williams
1 - Baker, Dale, Keath, Liberatore, O’Donnell

Defensive 50 Marks
WB: 31
CA: 20

Defensive 50 Intercept Marks

CA: 5

Defensive Half Turnovers
WB: 17
CA: 20

Forward Half Turnovers
WB: 50

CA: 42

Unforced Turnovers
WB: 8
CA: 10

Unforced Turnovers By Player
2 - Williams
1 - Gardner, Johannisen, Liberatore, Richards, B. Smith, Ugle-Hagen

Dropped Marks (Uncontested Only)
WB: 3
CA: 0

Turnovers Punished By Goals
1 - Baker, Dale, Johannisen, L. Jones, Liberatore, B. Smith

Champion Data Ranking Points (Supercoach)
141 - Liberatore
113 - Richards
112 - Bontemelli
102 - B. Smith
98 - Johannisen
92 - A. Jones
90 - Williams
89 - English
87 - Dale
86 - Daniel
81 - Macrae
79 - Naughton
67 - L. Jones
63 - Weightman
58 - Baker
57 - Scott
55 - Duryea
54 - Lobb
54 - Ugle-Hagen
50 - Keath
24 - Gardner
23 - O’Donnell
8 - McNeil

AFL Player Rating Points
21.2 - Liberatore
19.2 - Johannisen
18.1 - Richards
16.6 - B. Smith
14.2 - Bontempelli
13.8 - Naughton
11.5 - A. Jones
10.3 - Scott
9.9 - Macrae
9.8 - Dale
9.3 - Daniel
8.9 - Williams
8.9 - Lobb
7.9 - English
7.8 - Weightman
7.7 - L. Jones
5.6 - Baker
3.8 - Ugle-Hagen
3.4 - Duryea
3.1 - Gardner
2.8 - Keath
2.3 - O’Donnell
0.6 - McNeil

Time In Forward Half
Q1

WB: 45%
CA: 55%

Q2
WB: 46%
CA: 54%

Q3
WB: 56%
CA: 44%

Q4
WB: 56%
CA: 44%

Match
WB: 51%
CA: 49%

Pressure Gauge
Q1

WB: 165 (Poor)
CA: 147 (Poor)

Q2
WB: 170 (Below Average)
CA: 182 (Average)

Q3
WB: 181 (Average)
CA: 185 (Average)

Q4
WB: 219 (Elite)
CA: 170 (Below Average)

Match
WB: 185 (Average)
CA: 172 (Below Average)

Pressure Points Per Player
87 - Liberatore
71 - Bontempelli
53 - A. Jones
52 - Daniel
51 - English
44 - Weightman
42 - Macrae
36 - Williams
32 - Naughton
29 - Baker
28 - Dale
25 - Lobb
24 - Scott
23 - B. Smith
18 - Richards
14 - Keath
13 - Duryea
10 - McNeil
8 - L. Jones
7 - Ugle-Hagen
6 - O’Donnell
5 - Johannisen
2 - Gardner

Free Kick Summary
View attachment 1687061

Score Sources
Scores From Stoppages: 5.3 / 2.6
Scores From Turnovers: 6.9 / 6.4
Scores From Kick-Ins: 0.1 / 0.1
That 4th qtr pressure gauge!!
When was our last 219+ qtr of footy?

The most pleasing aspect was that we showed some real heart and desire to force the result our way. I haven’t seen it to that level from the group in a while.

That was a game we’d normally lose. We aren’t playing our best but that last q showed we are capable of a few more gears to come.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I don't say this lightly, but the thing that will stop us from winning the flag is not being able to stop the opposition's momentum. It's an issue and if we get that right, we're half way there to the flag.

There are many examples I can give, but I'll give two fairly recent examples.

2021 GF: We're good enough to be 19 pts up during the third qtr. Melbourne get a run on, we can't stop it, and they flog us. Dees win the flag.
2022 v Geelong: We get off to a flier. Good enough to be in total control. Cats get a run on, we can't stop it, and they beat us convincingly. Cats win the flag.

If we're good enough to be in winning positions against the premiers, we're good enough to win the flag IF we learn to stop an opposition run on. This is the single thing stopping us from winning the flag, like honestly. I know it's easier said than done, but we have four months to get this right.

We can't allow Geelong/Melbourne/Collingwood/Brisbane/Port/St K to get a run on like Carlton did last night and GWS did last week. Good teams will eat us up.

Sure, we can maybe get away with it against everyone else, but all we'll be doing is making up the numbers if we don't fix this big issue.

I don't say this lightly, but the thing that will stop us from winning the flag is not being able to stop the opposition's momentum. It's an issue and if we get that right, we're half way there to the flag.

There are many examples I can give, but I'll give two fairly recent examples.

2021 GF: We're good enough to be 19 pts up during the third qtr. Melbourne get a run on, we can't stop it, and they flog us. Dees win the flag.
2022 v Geelong: We get off to a flier. Good enough to be in total control. Cats get a run on, we can't stop it, and they beat us convincingly. Cats win the flag.

If we're good enough to be in winning positions against the premiers, we're good enough to win the flag IF we learn to stop an opposition run on. This is the single thing stopping us from winning the flag, like honestly. I know it's easier said than done, but we have four months to get this right.

We can't allow Geelong/Melbourne/Collingwood/Brisbane/Port/St K to get a run on like Carlton did last night and GWS did last week. Good teams will eat us up.

Sure, we can maybe get away with it against everyone else, but all we'll be doing is making up the numbers if we don't fix this big issue.

Carlton never really had a "run-on" last night. Yes, they kicked 6 in a row over the span of 2 quarters, but we had plenty of opportunities in that time. We were just missing all of our shots on goal. They never had this irrepressible wave of momentum where the ball lived in their front half. We were actually getting more inside 50s during that time but just shooting ourselves in the footy when we went forward.

our games at Marvel this year been sort of like last night, a bit ugly, and helped by their awful early shots, but we're banking the wins giving us hope of top 4 with improvement to come. Libba's pressure is awesome for 4 quarters and keeps kicking those important goals, JJ's reminding us at 30yo still got that speed in his legs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carlton never really had a "run-on" last night. Yes, they kicked 6 in a row over the span of 2 quarters, but we had plenty of opportunities in that time. We were just missing all of our shots on goal. They never had this irrepressible wave of momentum where the ball lived in their front half. We were actually getting more inside 50s during that time but just shooting ourselves in the footy when we went forward.
Yeah spot on, there was people screaming about their run on in the 3rd when they kicked 2 goals in the qtr and had 3 for the match…. Opposition teams are going to beat us for periods of time during a game, and are going to score heavily - that ‘run on’ was after we kicked 4 quick ones in a row too, we do it too that’s how footy works. That was just a period of time where they outplayed us and finished off well, we made a few mistakes in defence but like you said we had our own shots too and had plenty of opportunity to score.

A ‘run on’ is the tigers game, where they kick 7 goals in 10 minutes and completely flip the game.

Agree, I just think regardless of his new role it shouldn't take until Carlton kick 6 in a row to get him up for a CBA

But it should also be noted that Macrae only played 68% of the match tonight, his lowest for any match he didn't get injured in since R16 2014, that's almost 9 years ago. I think it's pretty clear that something is bothering him and I think the rumour is/was that it is ribs. He hasn't been bad but it would be great if we could get his fitness back.
I agree. He looked as if he was struggling at times. Pure bravery being out there.

Saw this on the Carlton board.
"F#%@ this pathetic club. Decades of bs and no improvement. I am so over being a CFC supporter....."

I'm still mentally scarred from the thrashings were got from them in the 80s, but as it turned out they were cheating for a long time on an industrial scale so the hurt is lessened somewhat.

But on last night's game it's obvious that we need a forward coach that can put a system into place that ends this constant situation where the I50s are contested by 3 or 4 forwards at the same time. Not sure what Spanger's strategy is but surely the club can get someone who actually played as a forward, who played more than 56 games, and kicked more than 13 goals for their whole career.

It our greatest weakness, and the forwards are being poorly developed. They play on natural ability and that's about it.

For mine the decisive factor in the last 20 minutes was English finally working out (or was instructed) that he needed to jump over Pittonet at the centre bounces.

For most of the game Pittonet was positioning himself and using his bulk at the drop of the ball at centre bounces and at around the ground ball ups.

He would then just drop the ball at his feet giving the Carlton mids first use of the ball and thus the lopsided contested ball advantage they had for most of the night.

Once this adjustment was made the game swung back onto our terms.

Tim needs to be taught to jump straight into the guy standing there to dissuade him from doing it again and/or receive the free kick for blocking.

Again wasnt Naughtys best night but his worst is so good, he is so so consistent just because he finds ways to contribute even when he’s not marking and goaling. I’ve said this a million times, but it’s so underrated how good he is outside of just the marks and goals. Honestly he could kick zero goals every year and he would play the next decade in our forward line, that’s how valuable he is outside of his obvious job of a key forward.
The thing I love about Naughty is his quick thinking and sheer persistence. That play on the goal line when he snatched up the ball and got it to Scott in the square was genius. Also he never gives up any contest until he has made something happen. Second, third, fourth efforts. Opponents must rightly fear him.

Probably gonna score some 👎, but that was a rubbish performance.

Our trend of poor games is getting worst over the last few weeks. Luckily for us, we played an even worst performing team.

We play a Melb, or Pies or Cats right now and we’re losing by plenty.

Bank the win and hope to an atheist god we start improving.
I’ll bite - you are well-named 🙂

So great to have two super exciting indigenous players in our side.

Jamarra and Arty growing before our eyes each week.

They add an element that we have lacked.
Three actually, can’t forget Liam Jones as well. With Travis Varcoe in the coaching role too. Liam has been immense this year. Liam taking the most dangerous opposition forward every week frees up our other backs so much.

Saw this on the Carlton board.
"F#%@ this pathetic club. Decades of bs and no improvement. I am so over being a CFC supporter....."

I'm still mentally scarred from the thrashings were got from them in the 80s, but as it turned out they were cheating for a long time on an industrial scale so the hurt is lessened somewhat.

But on last night's game it's obvious that we need a forward coach that can put a system into place that ends this constant situation where the I50s are contested by 3 or 4 forwards at the same time. Not sure what Spanger's strategy is but surely the club can get someone who actually played as a forward, who played more than 56 games, and kicked more than 13 goals for their whole career.

It our greatest weakness, and the forwards are being poorly developed. They play on natural ability and that's about it.
I think there should be a Western Bulldogs forward coach succession plan starting now :)

On CPH2305 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Maybe O'Donnell should have been played there. I agree there is no obvious replacement but Keith is barely hanging on. Someone will get hold of him and tear us apart soon. When do we play Geelong?
What's with Keith running hard when we have the ball and jogging when we're defending. FFS you're a defender first. We've already got a 3 capable rebounding defenders.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back