Universal Love Down Memory Lane

Remove this Banner Ad

wish we had a Barry Gill playing for us now.
He was tough as nails and if my memory serves me correct was the only bald player in the VFL in the swinging sixties.
Played in the 1968 premiership team. Brother John was a good player for the Blues as well. My memory is that John was the better player but Barry ended up with a flag and his name on the locker with Craig Bradley

The death of John Kennedy is the end of an era.

Kanga was there when I first started following the footy. As we know he had a booming voice and the coaches box at Glenferrie Oval was close to the oval and within earshot of players and umpires. I’m not sure whether it was 1965 or 1966 but RDB was sick of hearing Kanga’s voice. I have a vivid memory of Barass turning towards the Coaches Box and suggesting that Kanga “Get stuffed!”. What made it more humorous was Ron’s lack of teeth.

After his efforts in coaching the Hawks to its flag in 1961, and I emphasise effort, as the team was known as Kennedy’s Commandos. This was a reference to the fitness regime that gave the team its advantage. 10 years passed before he achieved success in 1971. By then he had the fortune of Peter Hudson at full forward with other great players like Peter Crimmins, Don Scott and a young Leigh Matthews. However it was the efforts of Bob Keddie in the final quarter which snatched the cup from the Saints.

I was 14 at the time and it was a shitty Melbourne day where cover from the elements was needed. Think 1979 GF and you’ll get the message. I’m not sure how I did it but, after the game, I jumped the fence and joined in the victory lap. I must have been swept up by the occasion.

The Hawks were a power team of the 70s winning the flag in ‘76 and ‘78 but ‘75 was the flag that slipped through its grasp. Kennedy had a heart wrenching decision to make and he left Peter Crimmins out of the line up. Did it cost the Hawks the flag? Who knows? The aftermath 12 months later, when the Hawks beat North Melbourne, is still one of my saddest memories in football. The photo of an emaciated Peter Crimmins with the cup and some teammates reduced me to tears.

Years later Kennedy took on the Kangaroos and was in charge in London when things went awry between Carlton and North Melbourne. Someone whipped North into a frenzy, Wallsy decided who it was and tried to take Kennedy out Russell Crowe style. Kanga avoided the missile and lived until 91!

Kennedy has left his indelible mark on the game. Player, coach and administrator. He was responsible for a premiership dynasty through John Kennedy Jr and and Josh Kennedy. It’s certainly a unique record.

in the end, his greatest contribution to the game was his fashion sense. World of Sport would see him answering all the questions impeccably dressed with a woollen jumper and tie. No club merch in those days. And let’s not forget the famous gabardine coat.

RIP Kanga.

Played in the 1968 premiership team. Brother John was a good player for the Blues as well. My memory is that John was the better player but Barry ended up with a flag and his name on the locker with Craig Bradley
Hmmm, that's my recollection too. I didn't think Barry was great. Just a good ordinary player - a disciplined soldier in a great team.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

club would love to get their hands on that - anything from a premiership year is 10 fold collectable........lovely memories, owwk...........
Best thing is he still loves his footy and the Mighty Blues.
Truely blessed to be able to sit down and watch games together.
Nearly lost him 3 or so years ago to pancreatic cancer, tough old bastard had half his guts cut out, chemo & radio and has not looked back. It will more than likely come back and get him one day, but it’s going to have its work cut out catching him.
I love the old *er.

Crikey, not many survive PC. He must be made of teak. Any risk we can get some boots on him? Move SPS to a wing?
He’d be up for it !!!
Yep, 12 hours on the operating table, follow up treatment and he didn’t flinch.
All at 81 years old.
Had the chat with him before he made his decision to go ahead with the Op, suggested it might be best just to see out the rest of the innings as best he could.
“* that“ he said. I’m living till 100. You’re not getting rid of me that easily.
Have had nearly 4 more bonus years to this point, prick‘s as fit as a fiddle.

He’d be up for it !!!
Yep, 12 hours on the operating table, follow up treatment and he didn’t flinch.
All at 81 years old.
Had the chat with him before he made his decision to go ahead with the Op, suggested it might be best just to see out the rest of the innings as best he could.
“fu** that“ he said. I’m living till 100. You’re not getting rid of me that easily.
Have had nearly 4 more bonus years to this point, prick‘s as fit as a fiddle.
My 90 year old mother is up against it at the moment, they give her about a week, she has said nothing coherent in three weeks except go Blues after our two wins.

Best thing is he still loves his footy and the Mighty Blues.
Truely blessed to be able to sit down and watch games together.
Nearly lost him 3 or so years ago to pancreatic cancer, tough old bastard had half his guts cut out, chemo & radio and has not looked back. It will more than likely come back and get him one day, but it’s going to have its work cut out catching him.
I love the old f***er.
That one eventually got my old man.
Hope your Dad makes the century he aiming for.

My 90 year old mother is up against it at the moment, they give her about a week, she has said nothing coherent in three weeks except go Blues after our two wins.
sending supportive thoughts to you and your mum, robr...........

End of an era was this.
Had to re-build after this with the guys from 70's and early 80's past their best as a group.
We could still play some quality football on our day but overall we had dropped away over 1984 and 85 to no longer be a serious contender those two seasons.
This was Parkin's last game as coach in that era.

elliot said carlton didn't rebuild? must've been a beaut seeing how we lost the gf the following year and won it the next, now that's a rebuild I could get behind
He is right once the draft and salary cap era started. We never built or re-bulit anything once the new league systems were in place.
But this was the last hurrah before that when clubs still had under 19's and recruited from other clubs by player transfer fees to intestate and local clubs.
We knew that system well and actually did it well before Elliott thinking of no re-builds was the legacy of his salary cap scandal era....

I always see it the first time as a club we embraced the modern era of salary caps and draft era was end of 2015.... Now we been building since then and finally got some serious foundations in for rest of this decade. Then we probably re-build for first time in this system towards end of this decade. Hopefully after flag number four this decade. A man can dream.....

Ninety is a great innings Rob.
When the old boy went through his you have time to reflect a little, no matter what age they are youre never going to be ready for it.
I’ve been lucky enough to get some “bonus” time with him. I’ve tried my hardest to make it as valuable as possible.
It doesn’t have to be anything special, normal things like watching a game of footy together.

He would love nothing more before he goes for The Blues get up in the big one. Now that would be special.

And it’s why this game, and this club, is woven into our DNA.

Thoughts are with you and the family during this time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back