List Mgmt. Draft 2018: Lions 1st (5), Power 1st (10), Hawks 1st (15)

Remove this Banner Ad

Remember when Sydney gamed the COLA laws by dumping it all into Buddy with a monster deal, and the AFL cracked the shits because they got outsmarted and banned them from trading any players in for the next couple years?

The AFL, dumb as * since two thousand and gill

Apparently the data analyst at Sydney came up with the idea this morning and the head recruiter was a bit suss on the whole thing but they cleared it with the AFL. Were told that as long as it was different picks involved in the second trade it was fine.
So whatever happened to the Lachie Veale Deal ruling whereby each trade must stand on its own as an equitable trade for both parties?

Are any of our new recruits a chance to play AFL next year? Or do we have some growing and waiting to do?
I can see them getting games next year, purely by being better outside options than Amon. They are also talented enough to actually deserve the chance. Wait and see who does well over pre season though I guess.

I can see both Rozee and Butters being used across HF from very early in the year. Farrell and Sam Gray will have competition for those spots.

The key with these picks is they allow us to continue to develop and hopefully now get AFL games into Atley playing in the centre square, while using the new draftees on the outside, especially forward of centre where we are so weak.

Apparently the data analyst at Sydney came up with the idea this morning and the head recruiter was a bit suss on the whole thing but they cleared it with the AFL. Were told that as long as it was different picks involved in the second trade it was fine.
Well it's not fine. It's BS and standard Swans. Afl can get fked.

I just realised the trade Sydney did with West Coast... blatant cheating. How the **** is that allowed?

I'm not mad at Sydney or West Coast, I'm mad at the AFL for not closing that loophole in the first place. Typical of them to go gung-ho into a new idea without thinking of the consequences.

What Sydney did was clever and there’s really no way the AFL can fix it. It’ll show them not to mess with the rules so much.

Also I hope Port do it next year.

They can fix it very easily. Only one live trade with each club per draft. Fixed.

I'm not mad at Sydney or West Coast, I'm mad at the AFL for not closing that loophole in the first place. Typical of them to go gung-ho into a new idea without thinking of the consequences.

They can fix it very easily. Only one live trade with each club per draft. Fixed.
Could still have a convoluted three-way though. Pre Blakey bid:
Syd get west coasts future 3rd
Wce get 26

Post Blakey bid:
Wce get Adel's future second
Adel get 22

Next pick:
Sydney get 21
Adel get Sydney's future second and west coasts future third.

Something like that. Whenever there are future picks involved, the clubs can justify the consumerate value clause by arguing they need the pick more next year.

The real issue the AFL need to address is that the points system falls apart when you compare stacks of picks... There is no way that 3 3rd rounders would be traded for a top 10 pick, but that's essentially what these academy matches are doing.

They should instigate a rule where to match you must use at least one pick within 18 places of the bidded pick. That way Sydney would have to keep their first rounder for Blakey, or keep 26 and risk an early bid on him seeing them miss out.

And thats the real point... If an academy/father son pick is rated in the first round, it shouldn't be a fait accompli that the club tied to them gets them. There has to be occasions where they either can't afford to match, or they choose not to match.
It's absolutely ridiculous at the moment and really there's little difference to the Heeney situation that the points were brought in to fix (in some ways it's worse). You get priority access, but it shouldn't mean you get a ******* free lunch.

You just know the AFL will bring in something like this in 2020 though, and we will pay fair cop for Schofield. That's the real problem with the AFL always changing the rules without thinking about the consequences; the rules never actually last long enough to balance out in the long run... The whole league is ****ed at the moment, run by an absolute cretin.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whatever your thoughts on the current regime, you've got to admire their single mindedness in addressing identified list issues during the draft and trade period.

Much better than the days of 'Choco wants him up in the box with him!'.

Could still have a convoluted three-way though. Pre Blakey bid:
Syd get west coasts future 3rd
Wce get 26

Post Blakey bid:
Wce get Adel's future second
Adel get 22

Next pick:
Sydney get 21
Adel get Sydney's future second and west coasts future third.

Something like that. Whenever there are future picks involved, the clubs can justify the consumerate value clause by arguing they need the pick more next year.

The real issue the AFL need to address is that the points system falls apart when you compare stacks of picks... There is no way that 3 3rd rounders would be traded for a top 10 pick, but that's essentially what these academy matches are doing.

They should instigate a rule where to match you must use at least one pick within 18 places of the bidded pick. That way Sydney would have to keep their first rounder for Blakey, or keep 26 and risk an early bid on him seeing them miss out.

And thats the real point... If an academy/father son pick is rated in the first round, it shouldn't be a fait accompli that the club tied to them gets them. There has to be occasions where they either can't afford to match, or they choose not to match.
It's absolutely ridiculous at the moment and really there's little difference to the Heeney situation that the points were brought in to fix (in some ways it's worse). You get priority access, but it shouldn't mean you get a ******* free lunch.

You just know the AFL will bring in something like this in 2020 though, and we will pay fair cop for Schofield. That's the real problem with the AFL always changing the rules without thinking about the consequences; the rules never actually last long enough to balance out in the long run... The whole league is ****** at the moment, run by an absolute cretin.

Alternatively, change the rules so only on the clock picks can be traded. Removes any risk of what happened last night.

There is an easy fix that I’ve stated before

You can only match bids with picks from the bid round and following round.

So a first round bid has to be matched by first or second round picks.

It’s stops this Sydney rort and stops teams from getting first round talent with 3rd or 4th rounders

Under this model it’s still possible a team could do something similar with their first but if they still have to match the bids with seconds we don’t care.

Watch this loophole get closed right before we get taj! But they’ll let a few Victorian teams get in on it first...

I actually like the Carlton adelaide trade. Or I like the fact that they were able to target stocker and do the trade.

Whether it was the right decision is another question

Live trading is a great idea because it can allow teams to get players they really want and didn’t know would be available.

I posted above an incredibly simple solution that fixes everything.

Agreed, academy selections should be matched in the same or following round. Fairest solution.

As you said, expect the rule to be changed leading into Tajs draft year, we’ll have to use our first on him.

Would love to be able to trade our first and second into a top 5 (assuming our alocated first is after where Taj will get bid on) then get a young gun and also match a first round bid on Taj with heaps of third rounders.

Live trading is a great idea because it can allow teams to get players they really want and didn’t know would be available.

I posted above an incredibly simple solution that fixes everything.

Nah it doesn't. The AFL wants these guys to get to their clubs of choice. What happens if one is bid on earlier than expected? What happens if you've traded out a future pick and it then turns out that your academy prospect rockets up the draft rankings into that round? Or what if you've got two academy players being bid on in the same round, say if somebody last night put a bid on Will Kelly after Quaynor is already gone?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back