Strategy Draft assistance 2023 [Twomey: NMFC get #19 in 2023, x2 end of 1st rd picks in 2024, and x2 extra rookie list spots in 2024; no Sanders/#11]

Remove this Banner Ad

SANDERS STILL UP IN THE AIR

North Melbourne says an application to include top-10 draft prospect Ryley Sanders in its Next Generation Academy is still “pending” as rival clubs continue to raise concerns about the situation.

According to the latest AFL Next Generation Academy Active Nomination List, which was sent to clubs on July 28, North Melbourne has no eligible NGA players this year.

Kangaroos list manager Brady Rawlings told AFL Media on Wednesday that there had been no further movement in recent times regarding Sanders’ eligibility.

Rawlings said North Melbourne lodged paperwork to have Sanders included as part of its NGA “a couple of years ago” and the club has been keeping close tabs on him since.

While Sanders has been boarding at Melbourne Grammar this year, he originally hails from Tasmania and has Indigenous heritage.

Rival clubs fear that the AFL could hand over Sanders to North Melbourne as a draft pre-selection – as part of a special assistance package – if he is suddenly deemed to be NGA eligible.

Under normal rules, North Melbourne would be unable to match a bid on any NGA player inside the top-40 picks in the national draft.

“This is a big issue,” one recruiter told this column.

“The integrity of the NGA process is at stake here.”

A gun inside midfielder, Sanders won the Larke Medal as the best player of the under-18 national championships after averaging 35.8 disposals across his four games for the Allies.

Ryley Sanders has still not been officially included in North Melbourne’s NGA. Picture: Getty Images

Ryley Sanders has still not been officially included in North Melbourne’s NGA. Picture: Getty Images

SANDERS STILL UP IN THE AIR

North Melbourne says an application to include top-10 draft prospect Ryley Sanders in its Next Generation Academy is still “pending” as rival clubs continue to raise concerns about the situation.

According to the latest AFL Next Generation Academy Active Nomination List, which was sent to clubs on July 28, North Melbourne has no eligible NGA players this year.

Kangaroos list manager Brady Rawlings told AFL Media on Wednesday that there had been no further movement in recent times regarding Sanders’ eligibility.

Rawlings said North Melbourne lodged paperwork to have Sanders included as part of its NGA “a couple of years ago” and the club has been keeping close tabs on him since.

While Sanders has been boarding at Melbourne Grammar this year, he originally hails from Tasmania and has Indigenous heritage.

Rival clubs fear that the AFL could hand over Sanders to North Melbourne as a draft pre-selection – as part of a special assistance package – if he is suddenly deemed to be NGA eligible.

Under normal rules, North Melbourne would be unable to match a bid on any NGA player inside the top-40 picks in the national draft.

“This is a big issue,” one recruiter told this column.

“The integrity of the NGA process is at stake here.”

A gun inside midfielder, Sanders won the Larke Medal as the best player of the under-18 national championships after averaging 35.8 disposals across his four games for the Allies.

Interesting thought is that when the assistance conversation begun it was more pointed towards clubs being happier that we would receive Sanders rather than an out-and-out priority pick, but it seems that idea has been flipped more recently.

Other than that, I’d be all in on Goad at Pick 39 if he made it there. No way Edwards, Green & Goad all go Top 25 in my opinion. 207cm with genuine athleticism. Need it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting thought is that when the assistance conversation begun it was more pointed towards clubs being happier that we would receive Sanders rather than an out-and-out priority pick, but it seems that idea has been flipped more recently.

Other than that, I’d be all in on Goad at Pick 39 if he made it there. No way Edwards, Green & Goad all go Top 25 in my opinion. 207cm with genuine athleticism. Need it.

You’d almost be certain in thinking they only want us to get another logue tucker scenario now

When your not happy with something just throw the word "integrity " in...sounds more meaningful...

Ie: My favourite player wasn't picked this week = no selection integrity.

I'm not happy North are getting access to a couple of gun kids I want = no draft/NGA integrity.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back