Analysis Drafting Key Forwards. Why have less been taken recently?

Remove this Banner Ad

A couple of good games does not make a career. Boyd is in his prime and he is no longer playing, all while people in his draft are currently on lists and playing great football.
a fair and reasonable point, but not exactly indicative of a wider trend of full forwards is he? boyd was plagued with motivational issues. we saw what he was capable of but otherwise it wasnt his physical attributes that was letting him down at his time at the bulldogs, it was the off field and motivational side.

I think it’s hard to identify KPF.

Boyd was a ruckman played out of position as a KPF. He always enjoyed playing Ruck more than KPF.... he was just so much bigger than all the other u18, he could dominate at KPF. A modern KPF needs to be a good contested mark and Boyd only was against players he was bigger than (all u18 defenders). He was tracking to be a good ruckman but issues outside of football made him retire.

Schache is really a tall flanker, who got too big causing him to play u18 KPF and isn’t aggressive enough at the contest. He probably won’t be in the AFL by end of next year.

McCartin would have succeeded but he got concussed too often.

I think the modern day KPF has to be at the taller end of the scale, but also quick, agile skilled and able to take a strong contested mark.
Max King is that prototype.
That's why I'm kinda more into Riley Thilthorpe than Logan McDonald.
Riley is super quick and agile for a guy his size. He also can take a pack mark.

I think the modern day KPF has to be at the taller end of the scale, but also quick, agile skilled and able to take a strong contested mark.
Riley is super quick and agile for a guy his size. He also can take a pack mark.

I actually think a bit differently as while a strong contested mark helps if they are mostly taking contested marks at a junior level that is a problem because that is just them beating up on smaller defenders, something they can't do at an AFL level. You want your underage KPF's to be able to take contested marks for sure, but ideally they should be getting their marks through good leading patterns and outsmarting their opponent.

Contrary to what people think, Tom Boyd was tracking very well as a footballer (ruckman).

If Tom Boyd was fit and firing in 2020 the bulldogs would have had a elite ruck division.

I actually think a bit different , i prefer Lukosius , Balta and Riedwolt type of height .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back