Ducking the head for free kicks is a soft act, and not in the spirit of the game!

Remove this Banner Ad

hams is a little midget of course lots of tackles are gonna end up around his head.

as for today a lot were played on. but to all of a sudden call the team a bunch of divers due to a sour grapes coach who also lost today is pathetic. its all over the place. if clubs dont like divers then tackle around the waist or hips, no need to always go for the head.

Is there any correlation in ducked free kicks and game impact for Shuey?
You'd have to run the numbers on that one.

Umpires seemed to be looking out for it a lot more this week, which is not surprising. Quite a few times they let it go when they thought the player was contributing to the contact.

That bit in the end was disgraceful! Close game and 3 Eagles players ducking their heads wanting a free kick. What are you going to call that? Stumbling? To all the Eagles supporters saying that people are only saying it after last week, that is not true. Noticed it in the second half of last year. I remember the game against Essendon and Richmond when all the players did was ducking for free kicks. Clarkson made more people aware of it.

It has to stop before someone gets injured badly. Fair enough right now, they are getting an advantage by ducking their heads, but later on, someone might get hurt from this dangerous tactics.

Eagles fans need to put their high horse away on this one and admit that their players are seriously taking this thing to a new level. Yes you're a great side, yes you beat us today fairly but at the same time the tactic is not admirable in any sense and is blatantly there.

What about your lot rolling under players who catch you to get "in/on the back". I think that tactic is just as disgusting. Should be holding the ball, especially if the attacking player is to the player's side and not "on top".

That bit in the end was disgraceful! Close game and 3 Eagles players ducking their heads wanting a free kick. What are you going to call that? Stumbling? To all the Eagles supporters saying that people are only saying it after last week, that is not true. Noticed it in the second half of last year. I remember the game against Essendon and Richmond when all the players did was ducking for free kicks. Clarkson made more people aware of it.

It has to stop before someone gets injured badly. Fair enough right now, they are getting an advantage by ducking their heads, but later on, someone might get hurt from this dangerous tactics.

This :thumbsu:

Eagles fans need to put their high horse away on this one and admit that their players are seriously taking this thing to a new level. Yes you're a great side, yes you beat us today fairly but at the same time the tactic is not admirable in any sense and is blatantly there.

You're off in your own fantasy world aren't you. Show me a post where an eagles supporter has said we don't do it... We do it. Maybe instead of whinging about it you can whinge about your own team not playing well enough to counter-act the free kicks.

I cant believe there are players like Ballantyne and Nathan Jones out there who fake being hit, fake injuries and fall to the ground like a sack of s**t just to get a free kick and THIS is what everyones worked up about.

Also Carlton supporters can piss off, with your cluns history you have no say on ANYTHING dishonourable.

The only pathetic thing in this thread is your feeble attempt at a retort.
I hope you are as concerned about Mark Murphy?

The facts:

I didn't happen much

It wasn't rewarded

Impossible to tell when it did happen that the player simply wasn't trying to go low and break free

People are now just complaining about legit head high tackles

Don't tackle high up the arm or shoulder height

The couple of free kicks paid for head high had no effect on the result

Hams is the best at it. Pretty much his only asset.

Is there any correlation in ducked free kicks and game impact for Shuey?

But seriously Marc Murphy does it as well.. we hate it but its good for WCE.

He is a bit of a one trick pony, ill pay it.

Rather than whinge, other teams need to adjust. I can't believe how many times I need to say this. If it were another team that was called out by an opposition coach for it and then the Eagles played them the next week, I would be dirty on any of our boys who tackled high. Everyone knows about it, go for the hips and its play on.

When did you start noticing this? LOL pathetic.

Tankers.

When it started to become more prevalent...

But less disgraceful then ignoring the salary cap.

That was in the past, this is a current issue. We could bring up West Coast's past issues but that would be off topic.

Seemed pretty obvious at the start of the Carlton Freo game that a few of the Carlton players were trying to earn some high contact frees. Didn't work though, no finesse, seemed like they were ducking the head instead of dropping the knees or lowering themselves below the tacklers arms.

All teams except West Coast and Geelong: Players do it occasionally
Geelong: Joel Selwood does it regularly, but it's isolated to one player
West Coast: Several players do it regularly, too often for it to be a coincidence

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seemed pretty obvious at the start of the Carlton Freo game that a few of the Carlton players were trying to earn some high contact frees. Didn't work though, no finesse, seemed like they were ducking the head instead of dropping the knees or lowering themselves below the tacklers arms.

Maybe they need to emulate the eagles players ...who have perfected the art ..i feel the Selwoods influence in this trend.

I cant believe there are players like Ballantyne and Nathan Jones out there who fake being hit, fake injuries and fall to the ground like a sack of s**t just to get a free kick and THIS is what everyones worked up about.

Because Freo and Melbourne aren't at the top. :p

Quickly becoming one of the teams I dislike most in the league, disgraceful tactic.

Have you traded Marc Murphy out?

Why does Cothin run half leaning forward? Is it so he can get those push I'n the back frees? Please people let's keep the emotions out.

Tigers played brilliantly today and were unlucky not to convert I'n the dying minutes.

They are going to be a really good side I'n 12 months...

You can argue whether it is a smart act, or an unsportsmanlike act, or whatever else, but could anyone explain this- how exactly is trying to get the opposition to hit you in the head so you can get a free kick a 'soft'act?

richmond got countless soft frees today, especially in the forward half

our blokes were scragged and man-handled on numerous occasions... nothing.

a high tackle is a high tackle, and the umpires missed several today :thumbsdown:

Why wont people realise that players aren't ducking their head, they are lowering their body so they are making it harder for them to tackle. For example you see Shuey sometimes running on a 45 degree angle to protect his body. Its a smart tactic not cheating. They can still be tackled without giving away a free you just have to be more careful.

Well said. Someone (maybe "Slamin Sam" :cool:) will make someone ducking their head "earn" a free kick that will seriously hurt them soon. The AFL went too far with the high contact interpretation and players/coaches are exploiting it.

You all act like ducking is a dirty, new tactic thought up by West Coast and West Coast only.

It's been around for years, get over it. If you can't deal with us ducking and earning free kicks, then so be it.

This is a big issue with football at the moment, but to single out the Eagles is remiss, in my opinion.

Footballers are competitive animals. Any professional athlete worth their salt will do anything they can within the rules of their specific sport to win. I don't like seeing it - hell, I bloody hate it - but until the AFL takes action on the issue it's a legitimate tactic that footballers of all clubs will - and frankly, if it goes unregulated, should - use. If Scott Selwood or Sam Mitchell or whoever else can draw a free kick that decides the game, why the bloody hell wouldn't he?

I was quite torn when Clarko aired his concerns about this after the loss to the Weagles. On the one hand, in an overarching sense, it is definitely something that warrants discussion within the football community... but the manner in which he brought it up - immediately after a nail biting lose, directed solely at the team which inflicted that defeat - caused him to come off as a bitter whinger.

In short: I watch players from every club do this week in and week out and I loathe it, especially when Hawthorn players do it. The AFL needs to take a good, hard look at this issue and find a way to bury it. I agree that it is almost the equivalent of diving in soccer.

However, singling out the Eagles makes you - like Clarko before you - look like a sore loser and actually belittles what is a very serious issue with our great game. ;)

What about your lot rolling under players who catch you to get "in/on the back". I think that tactic is just as disgusting. Should be holding the ball, especially if the attacking player is to the player's side and not "on top".

Happened how many times? Twice? Three times maybe?

Your team have been doing this tactic over a few weeks now, and its prominent. You can't just turn a blind eye and point the finger elsewhere, doesn't cut the mustard.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back