Novel idea - what if umpires actually paid free kicks for good tackles

Remove this Banner Ad

May 13, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Maybe, just maybe if umpires rewarded good tackles then players might stop trying to hurt guys instead.

I have thought for a long time that if the ball comes loose in a tackle in any way that is not a legal disposal it should be a free kick. Prior opportunity or not.

If this was the case maybe players would spend more time attacking the football when tackling and less time attacking the player.

And then maybe there would be less concussions.

As it stands players deliberately choose if they will let it slip out or not depending on who is running past. And because the tackler is not going to get rewarded they don’t have a whole lot of interest in the football - they are more concerned with pinning the arms so it cannot come out and inflicting a bit of hurt if they can.

Maybe players would be much better protected if the tacklers goal was the football instead of the player.

I agree about paying incorrect disposal though im not sure it will be a popular opinion.

Umps need to call for a free kick or ball up sooner too. The tend to delay which makes the tackler think he has to do more to force the free kick or stoppage which is when you get the dumping.

For some reason the AFL is obsessed with continually speeding up the game.

This means adding new rules, ignoring existing rules, and blowing the whistle less often.

All of which frustrate fans and make umpires jobs harder.

So let's add another umpire and have even more inconsistent decision making. It's ridiculous but we fans don't matter to the AFL.

I feel lucky to have seen my team have recent(ish) success because I find it harder and harder to enjoy games nowadays.

The corruption in the AFL has been obvious for a while now (what happened to Mick Warner i wonder). It's all about image and media deals.

We fans don't matter anymore.

61 tackles laid against Freo,not a single htb free to Richmond.
#cfl
there were 2 from memory. But yeh the umpiring in that game was as one sided as I have seen.

Ok fine, they dont pay what would be HTB in previous years. But why do they still pay soft high tackle frees where the tackle is either provoked by the player being tackled or the arms just go near the shoulder area. Its not protecting players from injury, its just soft.

How about no?

It's bad enough now when players wait until somebody has the ball so they can pounce in the hope of getting a stoppage and a free kick, instead of making the ball their objective. In the spirit of the game, the rules should always favour the play maker.

I think our 62nd or 63rd tackle was our first HTB call

We finished the game with 71 tackles.

We had a game a few years ago with 100 tackles and zero HTB.

I think there was a single throw.

I agree on a change needed. Tackle and zero prior (none of this 2 steps or 360 or whatever) then ball up instantly.

Otherwise clean disposal (not throw or drop or hand it to teammate or anything else) or free kick instantly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back