flyinghi64

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2006
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
Seems to me this is the new ducking to get a free.
players getting tackled from behind then lunging forward so the tackler basically has no opportunity but to go with them and get paid a free against for in the back.
Many times the tackler actually braces himself with knees on the ground so as not to actually land on their back but because it is so exaggerated by the person getting tackled they get a free anyway.
I saw one last week, think it was the Carlton Richmond game where the guy getting tackled dropped the ball, umpire blows the whistle, obviously for dropping the ball. After the whistle is blown the guy getting tackled lunged forward and ended up getting a free for in the back. The whistle was clearly blown before the in the back happened.
Becoming so obvious it is a joke and should be treated like ducking.
If you dig your feet in and lunge forward, play on or free for holding the ball.
If the tackler causes the forward momentum by crashing into or landing on the back then that is a free for in the back. Not getting tackled, dropping the ball the lunging forward dragging a guy onto your back in the hope you get a free so you don't give one up.

Rant over.

I know it's not new but is happening more and more as a way to get away with holding the ball or incorrect disposal which the umps are finally cracking down on.

Seems to me this is the new ducking to get a free.
players getting tackled from behind then lunging forward so the tackler basically has no opportunity but to go with them and get paid a free against for in the back.
Many times the tackler actually braces himself with knees on the ground so as not to actually land on their back but because it is so exaggerated by the person getting tackled they get a free anyway.
I saw one last week, think it was the Carlton Richmond game where the guy getting tackled dropped the ball, umpire blows the whistle, obviously for dropping the ball. After the whistle is blown the guy getting tackled lunged forward and ended up getting a free for in the back. The whistle was clearly blown before the in the back happened.
Becoming so obvious it is a joke and should be treated like ducking.
If you dig your feet in and lunge forward, play on or free for holding the ball.
If the tackler causes the forward momentum by crashing into or landing on the back then that is a free for in the back. Not getting tackled, dropping the ball the lunging forward dragging a guy onto your back in the hope you get a free so you don't give one up.

Rant over.

Player was Cerra. You could probably find 3 or 4 similar free kicks in Rich v Carlton last season, all from Cerra. Saw him try and do it yesterday as well, but weren't paid.

Player was Cerra. You could probably find 3 or 4 similar free kicks in Rich v Carlton last season, all from Cerra. Saw him try and do it yesterday as well, but weren't paid.

Cerra and Jack MacRae are probably the 2 that execute this action the best to gain a free kick. Hate the action, reward the tackler not the player trying to con a free kick.

Reckon I'm noticing an increase in players falling over pretending to be tripped

First couple of weeks there was multiples of these frees in most game.
Have seen bugger all since.
Just saying.

Yup, certainly seems to happen more and more - makes it very difficult for umpires to adjudicate. I feel they should be letting the minor ones go anyway - the rule is in place to stop people getting smashed into the ground, not the pissy little ones that get called these days.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back