Dullest match you've ever watched

Remove this Banner Ad

That Friday night Rd 6 clash between North and the Dogs in 2016 was pretty diabolical.
Their Round 20 clash that same year was eerily the same

Round 6
North Melbourne - 9.7 (61)
Western Bulldogs - 6.9 (45)

Round 20
Western Bulldogs - 9.7 (61)
North Melbourne - 7.5 (47)

Their Round 20 clash that same year was eerily the same

Round 6
North Melbourne - 9.7 (61)
Western Bulldogs - 6.9 (45)

Round 20
Western Bulldogs - 9.7 (61)
North Melbourne - 7.5 (47)

I found these two matches completely bizzare. The games they played between and after these two were absolute beauties as well which just added to the weirdness.

Couple of nominations.

2007 Hawthorn v St Kilda - four goals between the two teams for the first half and seven goals between the two teams until 3/4 time. Hawthorn finally broke Lyon's flood and kicked six goals to three to win by 28 points. It was a Saturday night match and from memory, the conditions were fine for decent football. Buddy kicked 1.5.

Round 20, 2004 Hawthorn v Brisbane - Schwab had resigned, Hawthorn was in shambles and Donald McDonald was the interim coach. The Lions were on their way to another grand final and really should have put Hawthorn to the sword, as they kicked 8.18.66 but were never in any danger of losing (Hawthorn kicked 2.3.15 to 3.12.30 to half-time and kicked only three points in the last quarter. I remember very little of this match (save for Brown dominating in the forward line - he kicked four goals, but it seemed like he was much more dominant) and Adrian Cox being allergic to going anywhere near Martin Pike, so while Cox kicked two goals for the match, Pike took him to the cleaners. I was in the MCC bar and pretty much plastered by half-time.

There was a Crows vs North game that was I think in the early 2000's, that was definitely the most boring game i've ever watched. Pretty sure it was in the rain, and might have ended up with both teams not scoring 50. My memory is foggy, I just remember it being awful.

Round 18 2004: Adelaide 5.19 v North 5.12.

Of those 10 goals, 6 were scored in the last quarter- at 3/4 time it was 2.17 to 2.10.

In a bizarre sort of way I kind of enjoy watching those dull and dreary games that seem to last for hours upon hours. I enjoy the absurdity and complete shitness of it all. I kind of tell myself whilst watching that surely the game will get better, they'll fire up soon, the goals will come etc etc but 'enjoy' how it just gets worse and worse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong vs St Kilda round 1 2011 was the dullest game decided by 1 point that I've ever seen. Finished up Geelong 6.12. 48 to St Kilda 6.11.47, and I don't even think the weather conditions were poor. I remember it having such a weird vibe at that game

Geelong vs St Kilda round 1 2011 was the dullest game decided by 1 point that I've ever seen. Finished up Geelong 6.12. 48 to St Kilda 6.11.47, and I don't even think the weather conditions were poor. I remember it having such a weird vibe at that game

Yeah it really was crap, got a bit better toward the end. KB went to bed at half time. I think I went to the TAB to watch Black Caviar and ended up staying there.

In a bizarre sort of way I kind of enjoy watching those dull and dreary games that seem to last for hours upon hours. I enjoy the absurdity and complete shitness of it all. I kind of tell myself whilst watching that surely the game will get better, they'll fire up soon, the goals will come etc etc but 'enjoy' how it just gets worse and worse.
Were you the person that stayed until the end of the Good Friday game this year?
Except that did get better, and almost reached the heights of a Carlton training session by the end. Dis-****ing-mal.

Swans vs freo games when roos and lyon were both coaching.

It was a pile of players contesting the ball up and down the boundary punctuated by throw ins from the boundary ump.

Low scoring, frustrating and ugly footy.
wtf? this never happened

It wasn't dull but it was the worst game I've attended skill wise. 2012 WCE vs Hawks, Eagles won 5.21 to 5.16.

Half time was 0.12 to 2.7, at one stage in the last quarter it was 4.20 to 3.15, before the teams realised how to kick a goal or two, and the Hawks decided they'd almost snatch a win. Horrendous skills and IIRC Eric Mackenzie had something ridiculous like 27 disposals.

Port vs Freo this year was horrendous

One of the all time worst games ever played.

If Channel 9 still had the AFL rights and was televising this Fremantle vs. Port match and if Kerry Packer was still alive, I think senior managers at Channel 9 would have received a phone call from their angry boss ordering them to 'Get this shit off the air.' We would then have seen the 9 Logo appear with an apology saying that technical problems were preventing the telecast of the current program, with an episode of Cheers screened in its place.

Norf v aints good Friday this year is really not getting mentioned anywhere near enough..

Would imagine there were more people watching the daytime cooking shows than the last quarter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back