Preview Eagles and Dockers 2024 Preview

Remove this Banner Ad

If you remove Sonny and tex who won’t be in the team long term.

Amiss 41
Fog 34

Rankine 36
Freddy 26

Shultz 33
Rachel 23

Jackson 22
Thilthorpe 18

All our key talls are under 23 I don’t believe our future fwd line is as bad as some say.
Ave age of 190+ fwds top 10 Coleman
Forward line is ok with plenty of grow room.
Our mids were mud last year and our once dominant back line looked like swiss cheese 🧀

Easy to criticise Freo (and fun too) but there is a recipe there for a premiership window. Age mix is about right, talent in key areas, this could have been the down year that builds hunger for flags (eg Richmond 2016, Hawthorn 2011).

The difficulties with player retention can be fixed by sustained success.

I think the Eagles are in deep trouble still.

They did a good job last season by managing the media and the public narrative around the spoon. Mostly blaming "bad luck" with injury.

It already looks like they going to use the same PR strategy in 2024.

It's also pretty poor of such a powerhouse club to put so much pressure on one young kid, Reid.

He's just a kid and I feel they are making the exact same mistake North made with JHF.

Anyone thinking he's going to walk into the AFL and dominate and win the the Rising Star in a canter are delusional. He's a good young player but needs time . He could just be a Cam Rayner. Way too early to know.

They did a good job last season by managing the media and the public narrative around the spoon. Mostly blaming "bad luck" with injury.

It's also pretty poor of such a powerhouse club to put so much pressure on one young kid, Reid.

He's just a kid and I feel they are making the exact same mistake North made with JHF.

Anyone thinking he's going to walk into the AFL and dominate and win the the Rising Star in a canter are delusional. He's a good young player but needs time . He could just be a Cam Rayner. Way too early to know.
WC isn’t putting any pressure on Reid. Basically since the kid kicked a football the media have been filling their pages with articles about him being the best no.1 pick the AFL has come across.

WC haven’t at all insisted he will be the saviour, they just picked the best kid in the draft.

WC isn’t putting any pressure on Reid. Basically since the kid kicked a football the media have been filling their pages with articles about him being the best no.1 pick the AFL has come across.

WC haven’t at all insisted he will be the saviour, they just picked the best kid in the draft.

Reid will be a good player, but in a lot of ways WC need to shield him a little. Take him away from the media, no interviews, no front / back pages of the local wrag. Let his footy do the talking.

On the other hand WC’s media dept. / sponsors will want to get their monies worth. There in lays the dilemma.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any number 1 coming to our shiteshow will come under immense scrutiny.

Jack Watts anyone? JHF anyone?

In this regard, pressure won’t come internally or from WC fans this year.

Even most WA footy journalists are circumspect.

Just the editor of the local paper who places click bait headlines on otherwise pretty accurate articles, is guilty.

Totally disagree. Should have managed the media better to douse the hype.

Funny how Eagles were able to manage the media in their favour last year with the injury narrative.

Now you're telling me they don't have any control over the media. It's BS. The Eagles are the biggest club in the country and would have a huge Media and PR team and loads of contacts and influence over the Perth media. Could have shielded the kid more.

Funny how Eagles were able to manage the media in their favour last year with the injury narrative.

Now you're telling me they don't have any control over the media. It's BS. The Eagles are the biggest club in the country and would have a huge Media and PR team and loads of contacts and influence over the Perth media. Could have shielded the kid more.
How much influence can they really have though? If the journalists were going to write it then they’re going to write it.

You mean like Sydney manages the AFL to keep it giving it handouts and an underserved production line of quality AFL players to constantly refresh their list.

Amirite?

The eagles have got to do something that they have never done, Go and do an actual rebuild which means 4 or 5 or 6 seasons of no finals and early picks each year in the draft.

This isnt like 2000-2001, 2008-10 or 2013-4 where those were plug and fill periods got trading picks for young 22-25 year olds and get the occasional gun kid and go back up and play finals again.

Crows from 2018-23 has been their 1st ever proper rebuild too. Crows had some periods of plug and fill years like 1994-6, 1999-2000, 2010-11 and 2013-4.

Eagles have some mids that are aged 30 or older that have to hang around for 1 or 2 more seasons while the kids develop.

Reid could be anything. Reid could be another Judd or Dustin Martin. Harley reid could be another Daniel Kerr, which isnt a bad thing. A guy that at his best averages 25 disposals a game and can play inside or outside mid isnt a bad player.

The eagles have got to do something that they have never done, Go and do an actual rebuild which means 4 or 5 or 6 seasons of no finals and early picks each year in the draft.

This isnt like 2000-2001, 2008-10 or 2013-4 where those were plug and fill periods got trading picks for young 22-25 year olds and get the occasional gun kid and go back up and play finals again.

Crows from 2018-23 has been their 1st ever proper rebuild too. Crows had some periods of plug and fill years like 1994-6, 1999-2000, 2010-11 and 2013-4.

Eagles have some mids that are aged 30 or older that have to hang around for 1 or 2 more seasons while the kids develop.

Reid could be anything. Reid could be another Judd or Dustin Martin. Harley reid could be another Daniel Kerr, which isnt a bad thing. A guy that at his best averages 25 disposals a game and can play inside or outside mid isnt a bad player.
Also think Eagles could always bank on picking up a couple of gun WA kids each year that the Vic clubs didn't know about.

Much harder to hide talent now.

Also think Eagles could always bank on picking up a couple of gun WA kids each year that the Vic clubs didn't know about.

Much harder to hide talent now.
I always expected west coast to grab a local gem or 2 each year in the draft with late picks.

I am frustrated Freo didn't do that on a regular basis in our 2016-19 rebuild.

Don't get me wrong, Lachie Schultz was a late pick in that 2018 draft. A Victorian version of Hayden Ballantyne. Schultz was a small 175-180 cm mature aged 20-23 year old small forward all teams would love to use a late pick or rookie pick to recruit.

Schulz wanted to go back to Victoria. There are 10 Vic sides. He chose the one that won the flag.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back