Eagles & Dockers reserves?

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 9, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Perth Wildcats basketball
I've placed a question mark at the end of the thread heading. For me the answer is a huge NO!!!! For the case, to put, two reserve teams into the WAFL competition, and dilute that state league competition even more than the introduction of the two WA AFL clubs.
The WAFL is a great comp to watch, and is just hitting its straps again, the addition of 2 more is a very very bad idea.
The EAGLES and DOCKERS should play teams in the VFL, that comp has all but vanished in the old traditional style from the past that I remember.
But the WAFL is still a traditional suburban based league with traditional followers and great teams and a ripper brand of footy , any wonder we Vics got so many champions from over here because of the strength of WAFL. Dry weather skills and good footballers.
It may never reach those heights again, but it is getting excellent again and should be drawing bigger crowds because they actually play footy and not, keepings off /soccer /basketball style, that the AFL is developing into. WA support your WAFL better , go to the games.
What do you Sandgropers think?

totally agree. except i wouldnt even let them have a reserves side.

leave the wafl as it is. we should be looking at ways to improve the 2nd league to see players outside of afl lists. without the 2nd league we probably wouldnt have seen the boom in the mature age recruit who hasnt played at afl level before.

this idea that having a reserves side would allow you to develop your list quicker is BS. its more whining and excuses. where will they get the top up players from. what happens when the afl players injured, do they get more top up players?

any afl reserves side will kill the 2nd leagues and set them back further, just as the wafl has started to develop and build beyond the damage that was done in the 80's/90's.

If they're brung in then say goodbye to some of the WAFL clubs. The WAFC never stop to act like complete twats.

Should've been an AFL reserves competition set up years ago,but with the VFL integration I can't see that happening now (plus the issue of finding more players.)

Crows/Port in the same boat as Freo/Eagles and I disagree with a reserves side in the SANFL for similar reasons.

Victorian teams having a reserves teams is a completely different kettle of fish

Most of the clubs have their own reserves team (North have two from memory) meaning that there are 8.5 running around in the VFL with teams representing them in the AFL

If the same happened with the two WA teams and the WAFL we'd end up with two more dominant teams out of a competition of 9 (11 if we each have our own)

Our fringe players are stars at WAFL level but can't quite cope at AFL level (Schammer etc.) so it would create (potentially) a very lop-sided competition

I do agree with the benefits of the team training/playing together week in/week out, however

Who do the Geelong players that don't get selected in the 22 play for again?

Relevance? We hardly crowded out the VFL by having a team like the dockers and eagles would in WA. If anything we've been a positive influence on the league. Guys like Mumford, Egan, Davenport, Scott Thompson have been developed as top ups when in all probability wouldn't have cracked AFL otherwise.

Relevance?

The relevance being the team you support enjoys the benefit of having its depth players playing under the same structures and playing the roles the club wants them to play, yet you seem to feel the same benefits should be extended to other teams in the AFL. I'd have thought that would have been fairly obvious.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't see the damage it will do.

We had 12 Freo players play WAFL the weekend before last. The majority of those guys are under 20. Put these guys into Peel and Peel becomes competitive (for the first time ever).

The WAFL is already weakened by the existence of Peel. Freo taking over Peel and West Coast having their own reserves side wouldn't hurt anyone.

The Eagles and Dockers cannot field a reserves a side, they do not have enough players.

Until the AFL increases the list of AFL sides to around 60 players then I am not sure why this is being discussed.

Currently an AFL listed player spends the entire week with the AFL club, how is the 4 hours he spends at a WAFL club on a Saturday arvo going to impede his development?

I also don't understand some peoples negative views about the WAFL. For years they bend over backwards to help the Eagles and Dockers, for the most part filling their requests where they want players playing only at the end of the year get shafted by the same two AFL clubs that all of a sudden say these players need surgery and can't play WAFL finals.

There is no doubt that the Eagles and Dockers wants are for their best interest and I have no issue with that, I just don't think it should be up to the WAFL to help them with this.

While I agree I think this is somewhat inevitable and once the Eagles and Dockers throw their money around they will get what they want, I see no upside for WA football or the WAFL, yes maybe a very minor upside for the Eagles and Dockers but in this instance I would tell them to go shove it and have some respect for where they originated from instead of trying to kill their own parents.

What advantage does the WAFL give back to the two WA clubs?

Use of Subiaco Oval and Fremantle Oval, developing Western Australian players for the draft which the whole AFL benefits from, allows non selected players get game time as well as providing money so that West Coast and Fremantle can exist.

West Coast and Fremantle have no right to complain about the WAFC, they could have fleeced Fremantle 10 years ago like the SANFL fleeces Port Adelaide, but they decided to let Fremantle develop.

West Coast and Fremantle only care from themselves (which is fair enough), the AFL only cares for Victoria and its pipe dreams in NSW and WLD. WA needs the WAFC to look after Western Australian football.

Besides even if the WAFL clubs are only looking after their own interests aren't Fremantle and West Coast doing the same?
Just because the VFA clubs (with the exception of Port Melbourne and Frankston) bent over for the AFL, doesn't mean the WAFL clubs are obliged to do the same.

Use of Subiaco Oval and Fremantle Oval, developing Western Australian players for the draft which the whole AFL benefits from, allows non selected players get game time as well as providing money so that West Coast and Fremantle can exist.

West Coast and Fremantle have no right to complain about the WAFC, they could have fleeced Fremantle 10 years ago like the SANFL fleeces Port Adelaide, but they decided to let Fremantle develop.

West Coast and Fremantle only care from themselves (which is fair enough), the AFL only cares for Victoria and its pipe dreams in NSW and WLD. WA needs the WAFC to look after Western Australian football.

Besides even if the WAFL clubs are only looking after their own interests aren't Fremantle and West Coast doing the same?
Just because the VFA clubs (with the exception of Port Melbourne and Frankston) bent over for the AFL, doesn't mean the WAFL clubs are obliged to do the same.

Is any of this actually worth the money they pay?

I don't see the issue with West Coast and Freo reserves playing in the WAFL. What if Freo decided to take over Peel? How would that hurt the WAFL?

More to the point - how would it hurt the WAFL any more than the existence of Peel itself?

The Eagles and Dockers cannot field a reserves a side, they do not have enough players.

How do Collingwood and Geelong field reserve sides in the VFL? How do Sydney, Brisbane and Gold Coast field reserve sides in the NEAFL?

Good to see one WCE supporter with a brain...

I really thought that for just this once more WCE fans might just be able to see the merits in the arguments of history and tradition in such a clear cut and final situation as this one.

I am actually quite amazed that most of you guys are more into the Franchise Footy World than even I believed was possible. This is all from a massive Self-Confessed Franchise Footy and WCE hater.

As for most of the rest of you on this thread – this is why if your a Victorian and you really like your footy don’t ever move to Western Australia.
As 70% people are Eagles supporters who all believe football began when Karl Langdon first bleached his hair.

Thank god I never have to live there again…

I don't see the issue with West Coast and Freo reserves playing in the WAFL. What if Freo decided to take over Peel? How would that hurt the WAFL?

More to the point - how would it hurt the WAFL any more than the existence of Peel itself?

How would it help the WAFL? What is the upside for West Perth or East Fremantle if their own developed players now play against them in the WAFL?

The problem with all this is that people think the only thing that is important is the AFL and that must take priority.

It was also suggested that Perth should be taken over by West Coast.
At the moment it looks like Perth looks to have put their act together.

The WAFL would not survive a super Peel side.

Good to see one WCE supporter with a brain...

I really thought that for just this once more WCE fans might just be able to see the merits in the arguments of history and tradition in such a clear cut and final situation as this one.

I am actually quite amazed that most of you guys are more into the Franchise Footy World than even I believed was possible. This is all from a massive Self-Confessed Franchise Footy and WCE hater.

As for most of the rest of you on this thread – this is why if your a Victorian and you really like your footy don’t ever move to Western Australia.
As 70% people are Eagles supporters who all believe football began when Karl Langdon first bleached his hair.

Thank god I never have to live there again…

Yep could not agree more, it is actually sometimes embaressing to see the responses of some of the Eagles and Dockers supporters, they are either very young or are recent converts to the AFL.

How any football person could want to constantly walk all over 130 years of tradition for the sake of 8-10 second rate AFL players is simply mind boggling.

I have said before that as much as I love the Eagles, I am a member and they are my side in the AFL, they simply will never be in my heart as West Perth are. They are a corporate franchise that play football and have not taken very long to forget where they were born from.
I know its the modern day where money is everything, but don't shit on the real football clubs who are actually football clubs first and foremost.

How would it help the WAFL? What is the upside for West Perth or East Fremantle if their own developed players now play against them in the WAFL?

The majority of their players developed will leave the state. They will never see David Swallow or Harley Bennell again. What is the upside there?

You do realise that the WAFC essentially own West Coast and Freo?

Why does this matter?

It was also suggested that Perth should be taken over by West Coast.
At the moment it looks like Perth looks to have put their act together.

The WAFL would not survive a super Peel side.

I struggle to see a Peel side that has Freo's fringe players being that much stronger. Take Clayton Hinkley out of the Swans and that team gets stronger. Take Schammer out of Claremont and that team gets stronger.

The WAFL is already robbed for talent every year. The WAFL premiers won't go back-to-back because they lost their best player. If anything undermines a comp, that does. Yet you seem to think that a few fringe players for the Eagles and Freo being taken out of their respective sides will destroy it? Hardly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back