MVP Easton Wood - 2018 captain

Remove this Banner Ad

Surprised that the group doesn't include at least one of Wallis and Macrae. Macrae might not be vocal enough but Wallis speaks well and was earmarked as a "future leader" even when he first arrived. It's voted by the playing group so a surprise is always on the cards. I hadn't expected Hunter or Redpath.

If you look down the list there aren't many candidates left once Murphy M.Boyd and Morris stepped away. Picken for seniority and example perhaps but maybe he's not a leadership type?

Captain and Vice Captain, as expected. I think it’s the right call- Wood is a ready made captain in waiting. If Wood wasn’t on the list, I wouldn’t have objected to the Bont at 22. No doubt he will benefit from this and will be our captain in two or three years. Long may he reign after that!

It had to be Easton for a couple of years. Then the Bont. Easton will forever be our premiership captain. I hope he can get a couple more. And the Bont, poor fella, we have so much expectation on this kid, I hope he handles it. Never in over 40 years following this club have I/we anticipated such player. Let's hope he gets the support he needs from coaches and playering group.

I am surprised they did not give it to Bontempelli after he
cut his hair to be honest as that is a Captains hair cut.
Woody is a good choice although i would of liked him to
be over those ankle issues that have surfaced lately and
maybe he is. No Lin Jong now that is an outrage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doesn't need to be. Wood and Bont will bounce off him anyway.
In the club email they state that Dale and Bevo discussed and agreed that it was time to hand the baton over, and that everyone would be required to be a leader and Dale would continue to be a leader on and off field.

On SM-T355Y using BigFooty.com mobile app

No Morris in the leadership group :huh:
In a joint decision between Dale Morris and Beveridge, Morris will step away from official leadership duties to allow a new group to forge their own identity.

“While Dale, a long-time leader at the Bulldogs, won’t have the official title, he brings outstanding leadership qualities to the playing group and that won’t change,” Beveridge said.

“We ask each of our players to provide leadership in their own way, and Dale will continue to be one who has plenty to offer to his team-mates and the Club.”

Surprised that the group doesn't include at least one of Wallis and Macrae. Macrae might not be vocal enough but Wallis speaks well and was earmarked as a "future leader" even when he first arrived. It's voted by the playing group so a surprise is always on the cards. I hadn't expected Hunter or Redpath.

If you look down the list there aren't many candidates left once Murphy M.Boyd and Morris stepped away. Picken for seniority and example perhaps but maybe he's not a leadership type?
I expect Jacko Trengove to be in the mix next year, once the players see what he is like around the group.

Blokes like Wallis, Morris and Macrae don't need the recognition of a title to be a leader. They will just do what they do.

For some others it is great recognition or others again a way to motivate them.

I reckon Bont and Easton play better with greater responsibility

I reckon guys like Lachie and Red appreciate the confidence and helps them aspire to be better

Of course I am absolutely throwing darts blindfolded and probably totally wrong.

Blokes like Wallis, Morris and Macrae don't need the recognition of a title to be a leader. They will just do what they do.

For some others it is great recognition or others again a way to motivate them.

I reckon Bont and Easton play better with greater responsibility

I reckon guys like Lachie and Red appreciate the confidence and helps them aspire to be better

Of course I am absolutely throwing darts blindfolded and probably totally wrong.
Leadership group members were elected by the players.

Congratulations to Easton Wood. I was disappointed in him last year with that third tummy tap that put him out when we needed him for our push for a finals spot. A really good leader does not do that but hopefully he has learned and the ankle injury is a thing of the past and he is back to his best.

I was surprised at the statement that the players select the leadership group. I would prefer that the players make a recommendation but that Bev decides. We have had bad results in the past with players thinking they run the club but with Wood and the Bont at the top it would seem the right people are in place.

Congratulations to Easton Wood. I was disappointed in him last year with that third tummy tap that put him out when we needed him for our push for a finals spot. A really good leader does not do that but hopefully he has learned and the ankle injury is a thing of the past and he is back to his best.

I was surprised at the statement that the players select the leadership group. I would prefer that the players make a recommendation but that Bev decides. We have had bad results in the past with players thinking they run the club but with Wood and the Bont at the top it would seem the right people are in place.
Although I tend to agree that leaders and captains should be disciplined and lead by example this however didn't stop Hodge ,Judd, Cotchin, Ziebell from doing stupid things on the field.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back