MVP Easton Wood - 2018 captain

Remove this Banner Ad

Congratulations to Easton Wood. I was disappointed in him last year with that third tummy tap that put him out when we needed him for our push for a finals spot. A really good leader does not do that but hopefully he has learned and the ankle injury is a thing of the past and he is back to his best.

I was surprised at the statement that the players select the leadership group. I would prefer that the players make a recommendation but that Bev decides. We have had bad results in the past with players thinking they run the club but with Wood and the Bont at the top it would seem the right people are in place.

It didn't help that his 'victim' dived like a bitch and should have been cited for staging.

"Speaking of the journey, It was really excited (exciting?) that we get everybody on the same page..." Now thats interesting.

As an aside. I bet that Major Wood cant wait to be a Lieutenant colonel.

Last edited:
Redpath is apparently extremely popular with the players. Rough is apparently a vocal leader and has been in the leadership group before.

Both could struggle at times for selection given the way key forwards and undersized ruckmen are going but the players have spoken.

I agree with Easton as Captain and the Bont deputy although it is hard to get to enthused when he was the on field captain that lead us to the holy grail because of Bob's bad luck. Does not matter what he does he cannot top that.

I am not even sure what an individual within leadership group is supposed to do that he would not be expected to do during the normal events of a game or training. I get the Captain and vice captain, coin toss, media commitments, but do these other guys now get extra votes on game day? Does Lachie Hunter now get to tell Libba, Dahl, Wal and Macrae what to do at the centre bounce? (sorry, toss into the air because we dont want to bring in any sort of obscure chance element). And JJ wont be telling Moz what to do down back!
Maybe it is more of an off field thing. I hope they get a car park, or badge or whatever so long as someone stands up when things are going to S*&t during the game and gets it back on track. All these guys (maybe not Red) were on the field in 2017 when we did not lift when needed. If the specially marked coffee mug gives them the encouragement to make onfield decisions when required then more power to them, but as of 2018 every player who crosses the line in RWB needs to show those qualities.

Perhaps there should have been a postal vote survey by the members to have helped decide the leadership group. :p

Ha, ha, ... Good one.
I honestly think woodie is the natural captain. he has presence, led the club at the most difficult times in 2016 and everyone loves him. the bont is a good second choice as he needs lots of maturing. \

in terms of the word leadership, it is now getting to me. it just sounds like another bs term that corporates push around just for doing their job. to me leadership has to be totally game changing, not just an empty word.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am not even sure what an individual within leadership group is supposed to do that he would not be expected to do during the normal events of a game or training. I get the Captain and vice captain, coin toss, media commitments, but do these other guys now get extra votes on game day? Does Lachie Hunter now get to tell Libba, Dahl, Wal and Macrae what to do at the centre bounce? (sorry, toss into the air because we dont want to bring in any sort of obscure chance element). And JJ wont be telling Moz what to do down back!
Maybe it is more of an off field thing. I hope they get a car park, or badge or whatever so long as someone stands up when things are going to S*&t during the game and gets it back on track. All these guys (maybe not Red) were on the field in 2017 when we did not lift when needed. If the specially marked coffee mug gives them the encouragement to make onfield decisions when required then more power to them, but as of 2018 every player who crosses the line in RWB needs to show those qualities.
Reasonable questions.
I think match day is only one part of it, perhaps less than 50% of it. A lot of it could be about identifying advisers, mentors and role models at training, travel, club events, as well as some options to consult if there are personal issues, minor conflicts etc. Especially for players in their first 1-3 years. Perhaps also spokesplayers that the club can direct the journos to.

As you and others (including the club) have said, leadership doesn't stop with these players. They don't suddenly become an exalted few. Anyone can demonstrate leadership and they can do it in different ways.

A lot of the leadership group's responsibilities are things that we will never know about, how to handle it if a player isn't meeting a certain standard, how to re-intergate a Boyd or Cloke into the environment, what to do the event that a player is going to hard post-match etc.

Ideally they will be a strong on-field presence who will be able to impact the game's result like Woody or Bont but a lot of what happens off-field (as we saw and have subsequently heard about last year) can impact on the result as well. So it is incredibly important.

I think a leadership role can also be used as a carrot in some specific instances as well, to put on the player to be more consistent and perhaps more team orientated. I think Bevo is definitely doing that with JJ to a degree, to make him go to that next level.

Really enjoyed the video, fantastic to get a little snippet of insight into stuff that we're not necessarily privy to that makes them worthy of the position. Red authoritative, vocal and forthright at training, Lachie well liked and respected across all ages in the group, Roughie an outstanding person and tremendous role model with off field stuff, and JJ clearly very highly rated for his on field direction and leadership. Seems like a well rounded group to support Easton and Bont that covers a lot of bases.

I can't wait for Jong to make the leadership group for Matt Dougie's sake.

He will be a valuable member of the Suns in 2019 and up there he can do whatever he wants.

I’m surporsed Red and Hunter made the group being part of the so called “rat pack”

Interesting the contrasting interviews Wood received from SEN and 927. SEN, couldn't wait to bring up the Stringer trade. 927 didn't discuss it and focussed on his captaincy , the leadership group and finished with a bit of banter about Bont's hair cut.

There's a lot more to leadership than what happens on gameday. On the training track, in the gym, in the lockerroom, recovery... Red could excel in any or all of these areas. Good on him, he's had to do it all the hard way to get here
I agree in fact I think if someone can show leadership and still have to fight for their spot then all the better.

There is nothing worse than hearing media pump up good players as being good leaders the two do not always go hand in hand.

Interesting the contrasting interviews Wood received from SEN and 927. SEN, couldn't wait to bring up the Stringer trade. 927 didn't discuss it and focussed on his captaincy , the leadership group and finished with a bit of banter about Bont's hair cut.
And those two morning clowns on SEN had to talk about all the negativity coming out about the Dogs when discussing Wood.

Its a bit rich coming from Watson whose team got smashed in the finals and Lyon whose team couldnt even make it after telling everyone all year how they were going to make it

Probably just me , but I found the Bev presentation to the leadership group a little cringeworthy !

The big question for me was what were they being handed? Looked very secret and offical, reminesent of a president being handed the launch codes......

Remove this Banner Ad

Back