Delisted Ed Phillips

Remove this Banner Ad

Tagging started to come back in in the 2nd half of the year this year though and Jacobs for North is one who is particularly good at it. Shut Steven right out of it in one of their games against us, with Dumont doing similarly in the other. Will be interesting to see if it continues into next year.

You'd have to think if we didn't let Mitchell run around on his own and get 44 disposals against us down in Tassie and pretty much beat us on his own we would have beaten Hawthorn, maybe even relatively comfortably.

I doubt very much that we got Phillips for his tagging ability, but it sounds like he got some scalps this year (including McCluggage) while also doing some damage himself the other way, so it sounds like he has the attributes and attitude for it if we did want someone to play that sort of role down the track.

Look I think tagging is a great idea.
If team a) pays a million bucks for a gun player and you can nullify him with Clinton Jones, why the hell wouldn't you.
I thinks the 5 people tagging game Ross Lyon had us doing was a bit dumb.

BUT.
Does anyone draft for a player they think will be a good tagger, or are they essentially failed midfielders?

Tagging started to come back in in the 2nd half of the year this year though and Jacobs for North is one who is particularly good at it. Shut Steven right out of it in one of their games against us, with Dumont doing similarly in the other. Will be interesting to see if it continues into next year.

You'd have to think if we didn't let Mitchell run around on his own and get 44 disposals against us down in Tassie and pretty much beat us on his own we would have beaten Hawthorn, maybe even relatively comfortably.

I doubt very much that we got Phillips for his tagging ability, but it sounds like he got some scalps this year (including McCluggage) while also doing some damage himself the other way, so it sounds like he has the attributes and attitude for it if we did want someone to play that sort of role down the track.
You serious? Check the stats and the Saints media afterwards. Ross did a job on him like he did a job on Dangerfield. I haven't checked the stats but I would say 75% of Mitchells disposals were handballs. Coralled him perfectly and put sustained pressure on him at every opportunity. Superb job.

interesting post ARR, it will be watching the midfield match ups more closely during the NAB cup now to see if the tagger is making a resurgence. if they do, it could have implications for how we use weller and how the midfield works

on mitchell, i vaguely re-call i think richo saying he was happy with ross going head to head with mitchell and mitchell didnt have the impact on games that he normally had, whilst he had the possession count, it wasnt as damaging... i could be wrong though

Look I think tagging is a great idea.
If team a) pays a million bucks for a gun player and you can nullify him with Clinton Jones, why the hell wouldn't you.
I thinks the 5 people tagging game Ross Lyon had us doing was a bit dumb.

BUT.
Does anyone draft for a player they think will be a good tagger, or are they essentially failed midfielders?

i think they are failed midfielders, the reason for this is you cant tag in the TAC Cup and i think you want to draft players on upside and if possible multi positional need

This kid sure can run.
Gets me thinking of suitable names for him.

Maybe:
Forrest
Bullseye (run like the wind)

You serious? Check the stats and the Saints media afterwards. Ross did a job on him like he did a job on Dangerfield. I haven't checked the stats but I would say 75% of Mitchells disposals were handballs. Coralled him perfectly and put sustained pressure on him at every opportunity. Superb job.
Am I serious? About a guy who had 44 disposals!?

You haven't checked the stats, but you tell me to?

OK, he also had 10 clearances and 20 of his disposals were contested and his disposal efficiency was an exceptional 82%.

Gained his team 452m as well and he had 17 more disposals than Hawthorn's next most prolific for the game.

Got 9 coaches votes for the game (out of a maximum 10) and the 3 Brownlow votes as well.

Unlike the Dangerfield game, where Seb got the 10 coaches votes and was pretty much unanimously named BOG, he didn't get any for his game on Mitchell, so it clearly wasn't that good.

Not saying it was bad, but with Mitchell being Hawthorn's best by so far in that game, I think it is a perfect example of a situation where a hard tag could be called for. The sort of hard tag that teams started employing on him with success later in the year, when tagging started to come back into vogue a bit.

Last edited:

Why if Phillips managed just to outplay someone does it mean he tagged him. Maybe he just played tight and got away when he could.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

So Ed dominated the 3km time trial in the 1-4 year players category.

Just wondering, anyone have any thoughts on his potential as a player? Seemed to put together a few games late last year in the reserves. Elite fitness is a great starting point - could he be one to watch in 2018?

So Ed dominated the 3km time trial in the 1-4 year players category.

Just wondering, anyone have any thoughts on his potential as a player? Seemed to put together a few games late last year in the reserves. Elite fitness is a great starting point - could he be one to watch in 2018?

I've wondered as well. As far as i can gather, he's likely to be a solid workhorse like player. Maybe like his brother.

I've wondered as well. As far as i can gather, he's likely to be a solid workhorse like player. Maybe like his brother.
He's a really unique player. In that he isn't very quick in terms of absolute speed of acceleration slower then even his brother. Evidently though he has very top line endurance. More specifically in terms of the way he plays, he just never gets caught. Like he isn't quick but plays with heaps of poise. more then his brother thats for sure. I struggle to have a comparison for him. He is a very neat player though with not many weaknesses.

AFTER an arduous AFL campaign, many players travel around the world and take advantage of their chance to relax and let loose. St Kilda wingman Ed Phillips did something different.

His first season ended and Phillips went to Myanmar and Cambodia with elder brother Tom – who plays for Collingwood – younger sister Lucy, and parents Anthony and Liz, for sightseeing and volunteer work.

He and Tom returned for their respective best and fairest awards, which were both on October 6, before the pair jetted out to India and Nepal with Anthony for three weeks.

Through their family's organisation, The Phillips Foundation, they helped disadvantaged people have a chance to receive an education, by doing things such as providing books and other necessary items.

It's an area very important to Phillips and his family. Anthony and Liz are teachers and encourage their children to be curious.

"My brother, my sister and I have all developed a want to help out and give back to the community, because we've been so fortunate ourselves," Phillips told AFL.com.au.

In Nepal, they helped an organisation called Seven Women. It helps females overcome gender inequality by teaching basic skills and how to earn an income.

Pushing himself out of his comfort zone holds appeal for Phillips, who has yet to play a senior game after being drafted at No.56 in 2016.

"I quite like going to places where sometimes you might feel a little uncomfortable or unsure, but that just makes for great stories, and memories when you come back into this very comfortable life we've got," Phillips said.

"That's why I love it. It's more of an adventure and you learn so much, I found, from going to different parts of the world and experiencing different cultures."

The 19-year-old fine-tuned his foot skills with brother Tom overseas, much to the amusement of the locals.

"We took a couple of footies over and got a fair few strange looks from people over there, asking 'Is that rugby?' or 'Is that basketball?'. We just went 'No, it's hard to explain, we'll show you'," Phillips said.

"We'd kick it around and their eyes would light up."

He managed to fit in his running, despite some hurdles when on the roads, having to weave his way through cars and cows.

However, that training wasn't enough to win the time trial, with captain Jarryn Geary edging out Phillips by a few seconds in December's 3km race.

The elite runner has impressed this pre-season after taking heed of the lessons he learned while sidelined for seven weeks with a left ankle syndesmosis injury suffered while playing VFL against Coburg in May.

"You probably take it for granted at times, just being able to run around and participate in every training session and every weights session," Phillips said.

"It was probably a wake-up call to me, that once you're injured, footy's your job, it's hard to get better from there, because you're not actually out on the park."

Can’t wait for 2018 season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ed Phillips had been to Etihad Stadium many times before, but always as a spectator, never as a player. That was until last Friday night.

This time around, the running machine parked his car under Docklands, absorbed the buzzing atmosphere and prepared for his first game in red, white and black.

While it wasn’t quite a senior game, AFLX was a step in the right direction for the 19-year-old, who was rewarded for the mountain of work he has put in over his second summer at Linen House Centre.

“It was really good. I thoroughly enjoyed the experience of driving to the game, going through pre-game warm-up and getting to wear the jumper for the first time,” Phillips told saints.com.au.

“I much prefer playing than just going to watch, so it was a great experience for me.”

Having never played a game at night before, Phillips did his best to fill the hours during the day. He slept in, kept his mind off the night ahead, before finally making his way into the city.

And with one team of ten playing Essendon in the first game, the wingman had to wait a little longer to step onto Etihad Stadium, with the Saints facing Hawthorn in their second game.

“I slept in a bit on Friday morning because I knew it was a pretty late game, so I tried to sleep in. I didn’t do much during the day,” he said.

“It’s a bit weird waiting around all day for a night game, so I just tried to occupy myself and not think about the game too much.

“As the game got closer the nerves started to come up a little bit, but I just tried to stay as calm as possible. The atmosphere at the ground was great and added to the experience.”

After finding a bit of the ball in AFLX, and even more in St Kilda’s extended match simulation session on Wednesday, Phillips is moving in the right direction towards a debut.

St Kilda endurance machine Ed Phillips feels much better prepared than this time last year, after being let off the leash in his second pre-season at Linen House Centre.

The 19-year-old has nipped at the heels of distance running king Jarryn Geary all summer, helping drag the group to new levels over the pre-season.

Playing predominantly on a wing for the Zebras in his first year at the club, the Caulfield Grammar product played 13 VFL games in an encouraging start to his career. But now, after putting a full pre-season in the bank, he has his eyes on a debut.

“I definitely feel a lot different to last year. Having the whole pre-season to build up has been really good,” Phillips told saints.com.au at Trevor Barker Oval on Wednesday.

“I feel like I’ve got some good running into my legs. I feel well prepared for the season and hopefully that can continue and I can keep building my game.”

While his massive engine is his biggest weapon, Phillips has worked on improving his running patterns over the summer to better utilise his main asset, as well as focusing on the contested side of his game.

“I’ve done a lot of work on my contest work in craft sessions and after training,” he said.

“I’ve spent a lot of time working on ground balls and the work is starting to show in the match sim, which is positive.

“I’ll keep working on that and my running in games, both offensively and defensively to support both ways. I’ve found that’s helped me get to the ball and get a bit more of the ball.

After deferring university last year to focus solely on football, Phillips will commence a Business and Arts double degree at Monash University next week, as he looks for greater balance in his life in 2018.

“I’m going back to uni this year where I’m doing a business and arts double degree. I’m starting off with one subject so I’ll see how that goes,” he said.

“Doing some study just takes your mind off footy and helps you focus on something else that has value in your life that you can direct your attention to.

“Something I found last year is footy can become consuming if you’re just doing this the whole time.”

Ed played a great game for Sandy against Footscray . He is putting his name up there for promotion to the seniors which is great.

He will always be able to get the ball due to his incredible endurance. I've seen him play a few times it's very interesting. He doesn't seem to be overly quick or agile but just always seems to have time and space.Unlike his brother who seems to always be rushed and flustered.

What sort of role do you think he'd play in seniors. IE who would he play like?

He makes me think of Coffield in a way . You don’t notice him that much but all of a sudden he’s had a heap of the ball . To be honest I haven’t seen Ed very much so I could be wrong.

From memory, the best game he's played.

First time he has potentially put his hand up for a game, although it is still much to early.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back