Solved El Chapo

Remove this Banner Ad

When we were in Mexico we were told by locals that no-one touches tourists as the cartels make a lot of money from them, especially through avocados as well as hotels. It was said to us that crimes against tourists see the cartels dish out justice on their own. This was in the Tulum region though which is heavy with tourist resorts and full of Americans.. Unlike, I imagine, Mexico City.

When we were in Mexico we were told by locals that no-one touches tourists as the cartels make a lot of money from them, especially through avocados as well as hotels. It was said to us that crimes against tourists see the cartels dish out justice on their own. This was in the Tulum region though which is heavy with tourist resorts and full of Americans.. Unlike, I imagine, Mexico City.
Went to Mexico City for a weekend,safe as.

I think you're right about the tourists.
Bad for business,not sure about the avocados.

This is correct. Mexico is incredibly safe for tourists.

Colombia however tourists are targets for robberies.

Went to Mexico City for a weekend,safe as.

I think you're right about the tourists.
Bad for business,not sure about the avocados.

A lot of people go to Mexico and love it.

I have heard it's fairly safe for tourists as well.

But there are plenty of stories of tourists who got to curious and wondered into parts of the country they shouldn't have, never to be seen again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A lot of people go to Mexico and love it.

I have heard it's fairly safe for tourists as well.

But there are plenty of stories of tourists who got to curious and wondered into parts of the country they shouldn't have, never to be seen again.

Had my own scary moments travelling through Mexico but as you suggest, we went off the main road in to the mountains where we ran straight in to some kind of exchange with a heap of what looked like militia or guerillas two groups anyway, possibly one lot was police standing around trucks suddenly swing and point machine guns at us. Backed out real fast.

And a lot of people in the markets off the tourist strips either following or crowding around trying to touch my hair. Mostly kids.

Not that wild it turned me off Mexico and still one of my favourite places, it's moody, colourful and full of surprises. You just have to be careful.

Meanwhile ...

Just back in March, four Americans were kidnapped in the Mexican state of Tamaulipas, after crossing the border from Texas. Two were later found dead. A sister of one of the victims said they had gone to Mexico so one of them could get a tummy tuck.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back