Player Watch Elliott Himmelberg - Contract extension to 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I like Charlie Comben at kangas but he’s been too injured to build a case to play 1s

Other similar types - McLean swans , Coleman- Jones north , Riccardi GWS ,
Weidemann Melb , Day GC ( be on much more money ) are some
Roos fans love Comben, he's shown glimpses of AFL-level talent but yeah, can't stay on the park

I've been a fan of grabbing McLean as a stop-gap once Tex retires (am a fan of his contested marking), although I'm not sure that he's needed now

I might have been hearing things? But did anyone listen to raihly last night? Talking about using berg and tilly as our rucks?
Would luuurve that to be the case. Both have good mobility and skills around the ground. Ruck craft not the best (but no worse than ROB imo). And both capable forwards.

This might mean that someone we were trying to get to come to us is now not coming.

I don't mind either way. Himmelberg late this season has for the first time looked a level above SANFL. As he should. Suggests he's still improving. Suggests he is close to being at a level where he can be good at AFL. Worth keeping on as KPF depth for sure.

Has an uncanny knack of playing 10 good minutes of football, generally in the last qtr, out of an entire game..

Has actually helped get us over the line in a couple of our wins this season with a couple of these 10 minute spells..
After being completely invisible for the rest of the game.

But apart from that he’s achieved little else.

What is it 6 years on the list?. Now to be 8..

List clogger. But we have bugger all KPF or KPD depth.

ITK poster on the freo board said freo had absolutely no interest in himm at all.. was all just media BS, who probably got a “leak” from his manager who was trying to give negotiations with the crows a but of a nudge along..

So he's a matchwinner then

Chris Burgess has kicked 47 goals in the VFL this year. Him or maybe Sam Day, Mitch Brown... new recruit Jacob van Rooyen at Melbourne doing okay as well
Never heard of Burgess but hes a gc player so that figures.

Mitch brown is still on a list?

To be clear I was thinking more mature age players(23 and over).
So I wouldn't count van Rooyen, Comben etc

Himmler just needs to build on his consistency, which he would do if he got a long enough run at it. He seemed to be really building in 2020 but that form was thrown out the window because Billy trained the house down over summer.

He is never going to be a star of the competition but he has a good skill set that would benefit from a run in the 1sts. If he gets that chance now probably depends on injury as i wouldn't play him in front of Thilthorpe or Fog but at least we can give Tex a week off here and there next year and put him in.

As long as we haven't gone stupid on pay, he's an OK signing
Didn't he get that at the start of this year when he played the first 9 games?

He played one really good game v Port (kicked 4 from memory) - EDIT also kicked 4 against Tigers - and we were hoping that he may build from there, but didn't really do much after that, and was subsequently dropped.

I reckon he's had his go and proved that he may be good for a couple of games a year, but we have players well in front of him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What we would of paid and what we would of got in return I feel this is a safe bet for the crows however not for Elliott

Serious?

Never heard of Chris Burgess?

Across Himmelberg's SANFL career he averages about 1.3 goals a game.

If that's the standard to beat there's many mature age players in the VFL doing that level or better: VFL Stats

Would luuurve that to be the case. Both have good mobility and skills around the ground. Ruck craft not the best (but no worse than ROB imo). And both capable forwards.

My memory of the few times Himmelberg has gone into the ruck was that he was atrocious there. Am I wrong? I'll admit that I'm a bit poisoned on him as a player so it's possible I just assumed he would be rubbish.

cool, what are there AFL stats?

It's hard to say because some guys like Burgess and Day come in to AFL level and play defense or ruck. Others have played virtually no games (hence depth player and "best forward not getting games")

If we're talking about experienced players doing well at reserves level, have done okay at AFL level played as a forward, probably looking at guys like Mitch Brown, Josh Schache, Sam Weideman, Josh Corbett, Hayden McLean, James Stewart as that 1.0 to 1.5 goal a game player

Some sides only have younger forwards in depth roles and have discarded their experienced depth because they evidently don't value that type of player

I think people saying there's no difference between ROB's ruck craft and Himmelberg are underrating ROB quite a bit. ROB wins 43.6% of hitouts vs Himmelberg's 32.5%. Witts, who has had a good season and been talked about as an AA candidate, wins 48.6% and is very similar to ROB in terms of hitouts to advantage and clearance work. Gawn wins 54.9% and does better in terms of hitouts to advantage (as well as around the ground stuff) but a little worse in terms of clearances. ROB also stacks up pretty well against most first choice rucks in terms of winning the ball around the ground, marks etc. The only areas where he is well off the pace are goals, goal assists, score involvements etc where the best rucks have him covered.

ROB is a solid mid-tier ruck in the AFL. Berg, if he was a full-time ruckman, would be way below par and you'd be relying on him making up the difference with his skills with the ball, which are obviously better.

For some bizarre reason we've given him a two year contract extension

They must know that at least a couple of contracted players and Billy are going. If not, going to be hard to use our 3 draft picks. Of list sizes are increasing again.

What’s funny is that we were much more patient of a poor fun of form from Billy than we were Berg.

I’d like to see more of Nick Murray in the ruck. The only time I recollect that he was thrown in there by Nicks, he managed to out leap his opponent, be cleaner on ground and his follow up efforts didn’t disappoint to my eye. If his younger brother, Toby who is taller and eligible for this years draft, is anywhere near as good then I’d be grabbing him late in the draft as he doesn’t seem to be on any draft guru’s radar. Bicks has mentioned a liking for him but seems to prefer Verrall, who I like too.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

2 year deal for a depth player is lunacy. 1 year at the absolute most would have sufficed if we wanted to keep him as a backup. Or a delist re-rookie on 1 year

He’d probably get 2 years elsewhere. I’d say Billy and Fish are definitely gone, so he’s cashed in on our desperation for a backup key forward that can attend a ruck stoppage.

Shaun McKernan eeked out a 12 year career with 3 teams by being depth, it's not crazy for talls to hang on lists way longer than smaller players without ever breaking into the 22 on a consistent basis.

Daniel Gorringe isn’t afraid to say his career lasted twice as long as it deserved purely because of his height.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back