Encryption bill passed/rushed

Remove this Banner Ad

Parties only get funding from the AEC on being number one on ballot. We can hurt the majors financially by not voting for them

I have never given the ALP number 1 on any ballot but I'm in the minority. It is good to see that more and more people are deserting the major parties, though. Hopefully the trend continues.

Can see a few tech companies pulling out of Australia over this. Atlassian won’t be able to sell products to worldwide corporate customers if there’s a risk of being backdoored. Amazon etc might pull their data centres out too.

Just a dumb, dumb law.

Of course we don’t have a media that can understand this. Moronically spent the early part of the week discussing a journalists sleeves.

Let's face it, it's not an issue that the average Australian cares about - well, not the average swinging voter anyway.

However, when the national security line gets trotted out the ALP just has to avoid being perceived as weak on it. This Bill is not the line you want to draw in the sand if you want to win an election.

Am I the only one that completely understands the stance the ALP have taken?

I really don't think there'd be much blowback if they'd held firm. National security isn't a front-of-mind issue at the moment, so Scummo bringing it up while acting outraged makes him look desperate. If Labor maintained the line they want the bill to pass, but after more time to review and work through its flaws, they might have even got bonus points for acting as the adults in the room.

Granted, not a lot of skin lost in caving in either, a fraction of a % to the Greens at most

I really don't think there'd be much blowback if they'd held firm. National security isn't a front-of-mind issue at the moment, so Scummo bringing it up while acting outraged makes him look desperate. If Labor maintained the line they want the bill to pass, but after more time to review and work through its flaws, they might have even got bonus points for acting as the adults in the room.

Granted, not a lot of skin lost in caving in either, a fraction of a % to the Greens at most

You can bet that at election time the government will hammer on the national security and border control message, though. And like the other poster said, if there was a terrorist incident in the lead up you can also bet they will go crazy on the 'ALP dithering on terrorism' line.

I don't agree with this legislation, but political expediency always takes precedence and national security post-9/11 is a central issue whether we like it or not.

You can bet that at election time the government will hammer on the national security and border control message, though. And like the other poster said, if there was a terrorist incident in the lead up you can also bet they will go crazy on the 'ALP dithering on terrorism' line.

I don't agree with this legislation, but political expediency always takes precedence and national security post-9/11 is a central issue whether we like it or not.

I've calmed down , you're 100% right.
Bill with his eyes on the prize.

Kath Murphy all over it

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...but-his-prime-ministerial-authority-is-waning

Morrison may not have lost the vote, but his prime ministerial authority is waning

Morrison avoided losing the vote, but the desperation of the day, the vulnerability of the government and its ebbing authority both inside the parliament and outside it, wasn’t airbrushed away, it was beamed live, to the nation, moment by moment.

Great post in the reader comments -

Lawrie Griffith
49m ago

26 27

I just read your piece again KM.
I think you have it right. Especially at the end.

I'm not happy about those encryption laws. But not giving Morrison that election cudgel was probably more important.

Well. We have seen something of Shorten's toughness under pressure tonight.
In the heat of battle he made the tactical decision to lose a skirmish to protect the party.
The cost is some humiliation for himself and he will take a lot of heat from the Greens for that.
But he is seeing the bigger picture. Making strategy for the longer fight.
A cool head under pressure.

This isn't a team sport. The future of our society is at stake.
Nothing will improve until this government is gone.
That has to be the focus of every decision

Last edited:
Most people in Australia really don’t give two shits about there rights etc , the govt could come out and say every house hold in Australia will be monitored by camera and majority would be like “ well if your not doing anything wrong then you have nothing to worry about “ lol . Next will come the ID cards etc etc , and our Govt craps on about other Govts on how bad they treat it’s citizens in relation to privacy and rights , such a bunch of hypocritical *******s are both parties .

Last edited:
Can see a few tech companies pulling out of Australia over this. Atlassian won’t be able to sell products to worldwide corporate customers if there’s a risk of being backdoored. Amazon etc might pull their data centres out too.

Just a dumb, dumb law.

Of course we don’t have a media that can understand this. Moronically spent the early part of the week discussing a journalists sleeves.

A company like Senatas will very likely pull out as well... they provide encryption tech to many high profile corporations and even defence agencies for other countries.

Let's face it, it's not an issue that the average Australian cares about - well, not the average swinging voter anyway.

However, when the national security line gets trotted out the ALP just has to avoid being perceived as weak on it. This Bill is not the line you want to draw in the sand if you want to win an election.

I understand their strategy but it’s still gutless. All the media were reporting that it was the government preventing this from being passed. They could have easily controlled the narrative that the Libs put their own political woes ahead of national security. Sure, now they don’t get wedged, but it looks like they caved in and the government gets a small win. And they will keep saying Labor are soft on terrorism anyway.

As someone said earlier, have they learnt nothing from Victoria? Let them play the scare campaign, it looks desperate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Basically the reputation of the Australian tech industry is now on a par with China.
At least there are over a billion people in China, so most companies still try to make it work.

There are f all Australians in comparison so we're not worth the trouble. Some big names will pull out of the market here.

Did not work in melbourne

At least there are over a billion people in China, so most companies still try to make it work.

There are f all Australians in comparison so we're not worth the trouble. Some big names will pull out of the market here.

I’m not thinking of us as consumers, but as exporters of tech, who would want to buy our tech when it’s known to have vulnerabilities. Waiting for the eu to ban tech coming from aus as it contravenes their data protection laws.

I understand their strategy but it’s still gutless. All the media were reporting that it was the government preventing this from being passed. They could have easily controlled the narrative that the Libs put their own political woes ahead of national security. Sure, now they don’t get wedged, but it looks like they caved in and the government gets a small win. And they will keep saying Labor are soft on terrorism anyway.

As someone said earlier, have they learnt nothing from Victoria? Let them play the scare campaign, it looks desperate.

As NSWCROW stated before this is a skirmish you can afford to lose. Shorten has his eye on the long game - proving that the ALP can offer stable and secure government. Being wedged on this could cost a shitload of votes from the swinging voter.

If/when the ALP gets in government (and the tech companies start leaving), things can change. As it is, it is simply a bad idea to pick your battle line on national security if you're the ALP - the general public perception is that it is an issue of critical importance and something the coalition is perceived to handle better (along with defence and the economy). Whether that is true in reality is almost immaterial, so the best the ALP can do is minimise the gap.

Edit - voters are generally switched on, they associate defence, immigration and national security with the federal government. The terrorism angle failed in Victoria for that reason. Still, the ALP have had a positive message so far and the voters seem to like it so I doubt the ALP will go ultra negative in the lead up to the federal election.

Last edited:
As NSWCROW

Edit - voters are generally switched on, they associate defence, immigration and national security with the federal government. The terrorism angle failed in Victoria for that reason. Still, the ALP have had a positive message so far and the voters seem to like it so I doubt the ALP will go ultra negative in the lead up to the federal election.

So the voters will punish the federal government for filing to stop terrorism? And they scomo/guy had the brass neck to blame the state.

How the hell are they judged better on security? (rhetorical)

Incompetent on security but create legislative sideshows such as encryption to deflect blame.

Where does it stop? Eventually our country becomes as oppressive or more sos than the countries some of these refugees are fleeing. Maybe they won’t come any more

So bolt and co can enjoy their oppressive state where you get locked up for driving offences. Go on enjoy

really, the legislation isn't much of a worry because the authorities still have to get the encrypted to be decrypted and it has to be done by someone with high level clearance, just trying to recall the last terrorist attack we ever had here, don't think I can, because all these morons running around in the name of Allah are just that, morons, not terrorists...it's a shame that the kids on Nauru and Manus end up paying the price.

anyways, ALP will seek to change the law if it wins govt.

Adz posts are actually making me more confident of a Labor victory.

However the Coalition were done and dusted as of 5:00pm. Shorten just rebooted their government.

And if there is a terrorist attack, the LNP will just say it's Labor's fault for slowing down the legislation despite passing no amendments. Then when parliament re-sits, Labor will shirk from doing the right thing coz optics. Guess what, someone trie to leak an assessment that contradicts Dutton, well he will use these new powers to direct the AFP their way.

Bin Laden never used SMS...this BS legislation will push cells further underground and will have the opposite affect. If they want to detonate a car bomb in Bourke St then this law isn't going to stop that happening, pure and simple.

Last edited:

Who gives a * if it happened and ALP got attacked over it?

Andrews suffered no blowback as a result of the recent Melbourne knife-wielding lad. The precedent was there but Labor were too cowardly to do what was right. Brought back horrible memories of Gillard.

As NSWCROW stated before this is a skirmish you can afford to lose. Shorten has his eye on the long game - proving that the ALP can offer stable and secure government. Being wedged on this could cost a shitload of votes from the swinging voter.

If/when the ALP gets in government (and the tech companies start leaving), things can change. As it is, it is simply a bad idea to pick your battle line on national security if you're the ALP - the general public perception is that it is an issue of critical importance and something the coalition is perceived to handle better (along with defence and the economy). Whether that is true in reality is almost immaterial, so the best the ALP can do is minimise the gap.

I’m a swinging voter and was going to vote ALP next election but won’t be now , or LNP for that matter , just stupid by Shorten to bang on about how bad the legislation is then to to just cave in at the last minute , totally pissweak imo .

In the end, Labor has backed legislation it says is flawed while reassuring Australians that it can be revisited, even though it will be law, inked in the statute books.

Mr Shorten was not going to enter the summer break vulnerable to the charge of weakness on national security.
The unspoken reality is that Labor are relying on being able to change the law if they win government early next year.

That should keep happy the substantial number of younger Labor MPs - Ed Husic, Tim Watts, Stephen Jones, Terri Butler and Pat Conroy - who are concerned by what they see as insufficient protections and oversight.

They are keen to see this become an election issue, with Labor vowing greater safeguards under a Shorten government.

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/...indictment-of-both-sides-20181206-p50klx.html

You can only hope common sense prevails and the Greens hold the balance of power in the Senate

It will be interesting to see some more investigative reporting and widespread condemnation but its the lead up to Xmas and everybody is already on holiday

Apple has also weighed in on the bill, sending a seven-page letter to the Australian government as a formal response. The Cupertino firm has criticized the law as “dangerously ambiguous” and “alarming to every Australian”. According to Apple, the law wouldn’t be protecting citizens, but would “weaken the security and privacy of regular customers while pushing criminals further off the grid”.

https://www.techradar.com/au/news/a...ng-against-australias-proposed-decryption-law

Remove this Banner Ad

Back