Podcast Ep. 7.02 - MG!

Remove this Banner Ad

You can listen live to Macca and Rick review our win against the Lions from 9:30pm tonight at https://www.spreaker.com/user/portfanradio

If you have any questions then put them here and we'll get to them during the show!

Last edited:
Last edited:

I'd be interested in hearing who your Round 1 selections are at this point of time, and the reasons for the differences in opinion between the two of you.

In particular:
- do we select one or two ruckman Round 1 and
- who is your forward 6

Imagine you're a coach at PAFC and you're calling a player into your office for a 1-1 chat based on their performance in Marsh 1 and how to use it moving forward.

Which player would it be, and what would your message be?

(e.g. giving a player a spray, a pep talk or a congratulations / well done)

Do you think a tall forwardline of Dixon/Ladhams/Georgiades would be effective?

Do you play Ladhams and sacrifice Marshall's forward nous in making space for others (80% wins with both Todd & Dixon, 40% wins with only one or neither).

Is having Ladhams as chop out for Lycett enough of a benefit to outweigh his lack of effectiveness as a forward?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think his chances will get better with experience . Decent fwd gameplan would help a lot too. He'll be fine. Give him time

yeah maybe. No line through him yet, it took Westy 8 years to find his feet

Thanks for the response Macca:

Burton, Clurey, Jonas
Hartlett, Watts, DBJ
Duursma, Boak, Amon
(Lycett, Houston, Rockliff)
SPP, Marshall, Rozee
Georgiades, Dixon, Motlop

Bonner, Butters, Ladhams, Gray

1582662828023.png

IMO there is no way Ken will leave out Westhoff and Ebert, I think he will play them over Watts and Georgiades, but I did ask for your Round 1 picks not what you thought Ken would do.

Good show fellahs and appreciate you doing it after hopping off a plane Rick.

Btw I also agree with Rick that I would leave Rockliff out of that Round 1 side, particularly against GC in Queensland.
I would have Garner in over Rockliff and would probably play Mckenzie against his old side over Watts.

Last edited:
Just on Marshall,

We know talls take longer to develop (well everyone except Rick apparently) and on top of that how many ex players or veterans of the game do you hear say "I didn't feel like I belonged out there until I'd played 50, 75, 100 games"?

Lot's that is how many.

Add in his well documented personal circumstances and you start to build a picture that this kid might even take a bit longer and this is why it's key that if fit he plays and plays and plays. It makes last years non selections even more ridiculous from Ken and the selectors. The lad has talent and is learning.

We as a club cannot afford to fail another young tall forward.

Just on Marshall,

We know talls take longer to develop (well everyone except Rick apparently) and on top of that how many ex players or veterans of the game do you hear say "I didn't feel like I belonged out there until I'd played 50, 75, 100 games"?

Lot's that is how many.

Add in his well documented personal circumstances and you start to build a picture that this kid might even take a bit longer and this is why it's key that if fit he plays and plays and plays. It makes last years non selections even more ridiculous from Ken and the selectors. The lad has talent and is learning.

Doesn't hurt that his career high marks and disposals were in round 23 last year, and as macca and rick said, when he plays we win.
Should be locked in for Round 1. Hope he plays past Round 3.

Just on Marshall,

Lot's that is how many.

i never said don’t play him, however his output should be increasing beyond a decoy and that those saying he could come out and kick 4 next game, it’s highly unlikely

Remove this Banner Ad

Back