News Equalisation to rip us off.

Remove this Banner Ad

Memo to all on this site that bag Eddie (yeah you know who you are, the ones who reply negatively to this), this will get worse to the point where our status as the biggest club in Oz will diminish, the days of Collingwood being the powerhouse will be absorbed by the rest of the comp.... I would hate to think anyone else less than Eddie's influence would only make us slip back even further..

There is a storm coming my friends!

Equalisation has fundamentally been a failure thus far, in the age of free agency, nomination of "preferred destinations", and franchise clubs.

Who cares if you tax the s**t out of successfully run clubs when they can just bring on top-line (or at least veteran) players who are chasing easy success? Look no further than Hawthorn/Geelong over the past 3-5 seasons.

Even Collingwood is pulling in players like Treloar while in the doldrums, while perpetual bottom dwellers like the Saints and Demons can't attract talent despite being favoured in equalisation measures.

Until they make broad changes to player movement, financial equalisation methods are nearly worthless.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...-funding-battle-with-afl-20160915-grhf6q.html

So we are to get 8.6 million of the TV rights deal per year & the likes of GWS get over $20 million?
I had high hopes when Gil took over, but it seems to me the heartland of football is being totally ignored & overlooked in favour of new franchises.

So now we have no fair draft. Some teams still have a bigger list than others & are still benefiting from COLA. Just about had my fill of Gil & the AFL.
Makes sense to me. Don't care how they divide the money. We still operate under a cap for players and coaching staff

GWS have done everything asked of them. They're an exciting team and it's a credit to the AFL and more importantly those at GWS for them to bring a bit of life back into the game.

I love the Giants and kudos to them if they go all the way
Agree. I am based in Sydney and attend at least 3 GWS games a year and few Swan games as well. Football is much better up here with the Giants. Best of all I get to see the Pies play in Sydney twice.
GWS need all the financial help they can get administration wise. They do a fantastic job of promoting the game in Sydney's west and in time this will eventually pay back via reduced funding requirements

GWS have done everything asked of them. They're an exciting team and it's a credit to the AFL and more importantly those at GWS for them to bring a bit of life back into the game.

I love the Giants and kudos to them if they go all the way

That's a different discussion but I agree, they are to be admired for the way they've used the playing field they were dealt. This question though is about when is enough enough.

This is the trade off for our blockbuster matches, guaranteed 17 matches in Victoria and access to FNF above our ladder position. It seems an overcorrection to me, but in reality it's simply a case of swings and roundabouts.

For mine this information is effectively the death knell for the FD tax which has been a bigger bust than the carbon tax...
If it's the tradeoff for our blockbuster matches then Collingwood need to stop gifting the gate to Melbourne every year for the QB clash. It's only fair if we're going to get dicked by the AFL for it.

If it's the tradeoff for our blockbuster matches then Collingwood need to stop gifting the gate to Melbourne every year for the QB clash. It's only fair if we're going to get dicked by the AFL for it.

Spot on. The only caveat is I don't want us involved in the fixture at all. Melbourne can have it as far as I'm concerned.

Spot on. The only caveat is I don't want us involved in the fixture at all. Melbourne can have it as far as I'm concerned.
I'm fine with the fixture if we benefit from it. The gate takings would add significantly to our bottom line if we actually received them. If Melbourne were to bitch about it though, I'd agree, just tell them to find another opponent (who would also incidentally want the takings every second year, and probably wouldn't attract the same crowd numbers.)

I'm fine with the fixture if we benefit from it. The gate takings would add significantly to our bottom line if we actually received them. If Melbourne were to bitch about it though, I'd agree, just tell them to find another opponent (who would also incidentally want the takings every second year, and probably wouldn't attract the same crowd numbers.)

I personally see them as a minnow club that needs to be propped up so I'm cool with them keeping it, but I'm over it being at our expense. For instance instead of Ed coming out and defending his handover baby he could have floated that we're having a re-think on our position in this fixture which would have sent a real message...

This is the trade off for our blockbuster matches, guaranteed 17 matches in Victoria and access to FNF above our ladder position. It seems an overcorrection to me, but in reality it's simply a case of swings and roundabouts.

For mine this information is effectively the death knell for the FD tax which has been a bigger bust than the carbon tax...
There should be no trade off for this. The fact that other teams are based in the same state as us is not our fault, and interstate teams have genuine home ground advantage roughly 10 times per year, whereas Vic teams only get it 5 times. Blockbuster matches and FNF or whatever, fair enough.

GWS wouldn't survive without the AFL, there's just not enough interest in Sydney for two AFL teams no matter how talented. Thats why this was always coming. Terrible.
Agree.
Even the Swans would fold without support, and not just financial.
Without success both will fail even with shitloads of money.
It's how NSW folk roll.
It's the price we pay for a truly national sport.

Imagine being a bulldogs fan, the giants were allowed to poach Callan Ward for free under a diff set of rules to everyone else and may have to face him in a star studded team in a prelim final. The AFL has gone too far its Brisbane all over again, after all their flags they win now theyre gonna end up a mess like Brisbane once the AFL stop giving them these handouts. Wouldn't be surprised if we saw growth in Sydney out weighed by drop off in interest around the country over the next 5 years.
I'll tell you what mate, I'm in my first year of teaching so working in a few different schools around the south east of Melbourne. I haven't seen one footy kicked around the oval at lunch time all year. Several soccer balls and obviously basketballs every day, but never any footy's. It's going to be very interesting what happens 10 years from now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll tell you what mate, I'm in my first year of teaching so working in a few different schools around the south east of Melbourne. I haven't seen one footy kicked around the oval at lunch time all year. Several soccer balls and obviously basketballs every day, but never any footy's. It's going to be very interesting what happens 10 years from now.
That is because people these days are soft, I finished primary school ten or so years ago and we were not allowed to play football during PE because someone may get hurt so during the winter all we would do in PE is play soccer.

Soft sports appeal to legislators who are generally cowards. Very very few of them ever participated in any form of sport let alone contact sport.
Politicians are usually, not always, but usually those who never got picked for any sport. Usually played recorder all day.

Stupid laws and rules are their way at getting back at normal people.
Next time you hear of some patently idiotic legislation being mooted, just think to yourself, "would this idiot be the type to play and enjoy the recorder?".

There is your answer.
The recorder is a dead give-away.

The AFL is a business.
All participants refer to it as the "industry".
As such it runs the same way as any big business does.
A big business with many different brands, "clubs", will always prop up its poorest performing brands with profits from its best performers.
The only real difference is that big business will eventually fold, merge or sell off its poor performers. The AFL have even done this once before.
While I don't like it the simple fact is we are part of the industry and while the AFL own our name, our colours and our emblem, there is nothing we can do.

Soft sports appeal to legislators who are generally cowards. Very very few of them ever participated in any form of sport let alone contact sport.
Politicians are usually, not always, but usually those who never got picked for any sport. Usually played recorder all day.

Stupid laws and rules are their way at getting back at normal people.
Next time you hear of some patently idiotic legislation being mooted, just think to yourself, "would this idiot be the type to play and enjoy the recorder?".

There is your answer.
The recorder is a dead give-away.
It's got nothing to do with legislation, it's the kids these days don't give a s**t about footy.

There should be no trade off for this. The fact that other teams are based in the same state as us is not our fault, and interstate teams have genuine home ground advantage roughly 10 times per year, whereas Vic teams only get it 5 times. Blockbuster matches and FNF or whatever, fair enough.

I agree. We have to play 11 away games. I'm happy if that includes all 8 interstate teams, Kangas in Hobart, Hawks in Launceston, and the Dees in Darwin, or Port in China.

It's the AFL that need us to play 17 games in Victoria.

I think very few people believe that the AFL has gone about the GWS situation the right way, but what I've never understood is the arrogance of the AFL to bring in 2 new clubs at essentially the exact same time. What could possibly be the reason, apart from cashing in on the competitions success at that point in time, to bring in 2 new clubs?

Surely it would have been better to put in a decade gap between them, so then one club doesn't luck out on draft picks and free agents (GWS) and the other essentially is in the worst position in the comp (GC). There are only so many future stars in the draft, and only so many current stars available. Wouldn't it make more sense to guarantee they get to the expansion club?

It just typifies the idiocy, arrogance and greed of the AFL

looking at footy clubs spends, I am the dogs, north, saints & dees spend less than us or have lesser facilities. all of these are ranked closer to a flag than us.

it is a myth that $$ spent make you a better team. its way more complicated than hat but the "footy dept" arms race is an easy (lazy) line to spin which the afl has been met with a lazier response. A tax.

GWS have around five 1st round players coming their way again next year, don't know what Ed is on about.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back