Club Focus Essendon 2022 - Setterfield, Weideman, Tsatas, Hayes, A. Davey Jr, J. Davey, Munkara, Montgomerie

AFL Club Focus

Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

Currently 2 spots open on the Category A rookie list, which can be filled during the Pre-Season Supplemental Selection Period (SSP). We seem to have invited quite a few players to train with us over the pre-season as well, some now and some starting in January. Don't know if there's a complete list anywhere though.

Train-on players looking for an SSP rookie spot:
Dylan Clarke - Essendon Football Club
Ronald Fejo jnr - West Adelaide Football Club
Nicholas Martin* - Subiaco Football Club

* Starts January 10, 2022

Interesting off season coming up for us. We should have a reasonably high draft pick (probably between 4 and 8 IMO, before any Ashcroft bid), and the big gap on our list for me is an unbalanced midfield.

We should be looking at getting certain players on the cheap like Jack Bytel, Xavier O'Halloran, Riley Collier-Dawkins or the like and maybe an older free agent like Callan Ward or Travis Boak.

I'm one of the few that still likes Dylan Shiel, yes he was a failed trade for what we traded, but he's still been a good player for us. However I can see the benefit of trading him to change the midfield mix.

As far as OOC players go, feel like it'll be the last year for Heppell, Hurley and Walla. Ham is probably going to be cut, he's simply a good VFL player that can't make the step up, but the rest are a bit of an unknown at this point.

Take Tsatas if he slips to us or Szybkowski if we improve a bit and get into the 6-10 range and then use points to match a Davey bid. Maybe trade into the second round for Munkara if we can.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
Train-on players looking for an SSP rookie spot:
Dylan Clarke - Essendon Football Club
Ronald Fejo jnr - West Adelaide Football Club
Nicholas Martin* - Subiaco Football Club

* Starts January 10, 2022
credit where it's due to the list team.....they got this absolutely right.

Interesting off season coming up for us. We should have a reasonably high draft pick (probably between 4 and 8 IMO, before any Ashcroft bid), and the big gap on our list for me is an unbalanced midfield.

We should be looking at getting certain players on the cheap like Jack Bytel, Xavier O'Halloran, Riley Collier-Dawkins or the like and maybe an older free agent like Callan Ward or Travis Boak.

I'm one of the few that still likes Dylan Shiel, yes he was a failed trade for what we traded, but he's still been a good player for us. However I can see the benefit of trading him to change the midfield mix.

As far as OOC players go, feel like it'll be the last year for Heppell, Hurley and Walla. Ham is probably going to be cut, he's simply a good VFL player that can't make the step up, but the rest are a bit of an unknown at this point.

Take Tsatas if he slips to us or Szybkowski if we improve a bit and get into the 6-10 range and then use points to match a Davey bid. Maybe trade into the second round for Munkara if we can.
still think we finish bottom 4 quite easily. our run doesn't get easier.

Top 3 pick inbound and based off some quick reading and few highlights I do like Tsatas & Hewett as additions to our midfield.
Alternative is a key forward in Lemmey assuming he makes it past Eagles and Roos. Esp if we add some ready made mids (O'Halloran & Bytel would be great pickups)

credit where it's due to the list team.....they got this absolutely right.

still think we finish bottom 4 quite easily. our run doesn't get easier.

Top 3 pick inbound and based off some quick reading and few highlights I do like Tsatas & Hewett as additions to our midfield.
Alternative is a key forward in Lemmey assuming he makes it past Eagles and Roos. Esp if we add some ready made mids (O'Halloran & Bytel would be great pickups)
It opens right up? We play Port twice, Richmond twice, West Coast, North, GWS and GC (I'm not seduced by them yet, they're in the same position as the past 3 or 4 years). All winable games, plus Collingwood again.

Apparently try a bit of chat up in
Brisbane that Jack Payne could be heading to Essendon.
Don't mind it. Very solid defender who can partner Reid and release Stewart forward again to support Wright.

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
It opens right up? We play Port twice, Richmond twice, West Coast, North, GWS and GC (I'm not seduced by them yet, they're in the same position as the past 3 or 4 years). All winable games, plus Collingwood again.
You will start underdogs in the 7 of the next 8 games. 5 of them you will start as big underdogs.

You will start underdogs in the 7 of the next 8 games. 5 of them you will start as big underdogs.
Our draw for the next 14 games is much easier than our first 8. There are games we likely lose in this run (Brisbane, Sydney x2, Carlton and St. Kilda) but I put us in with a chance for the other 8.

Plus, you know what they say about stones and glass houses.

Our draw for the next 14 games is much easier than our first 8. There are games we likely lose in this run (Brisbane, Sydney x2, Carlton and St. Kilda) but I put us in with a chance for the other 8.

We play better as underdogs with zero expectations and everything to prove anyway, so between an easier draw and the media being completely over us as being any sort of contender (which is mostly Malthouse's invention anyway), we may actually win a few of these. Would have to win almost all of them now to "improve" on last year's 11 wins though.

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks

Tigers are $1.40 next week. Port will also start really short.

And I fully understand my team is terrible. Once you also reach that point it gets less frustrating watching your team.

Tigers are $1.40 next week. Port will also start really short.

And I fully understand my team is terrible. Once you also reach that point it gets less frustrating watching your team.
Okay, cool. I still think we can beat them.

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
Hawthorn closed at 1.33 and on Sportsbet last week

So You're Telling Me There's A Chance | So You're Telling Me There's A  Chance? | Know Your Meme

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
I’d rather be s**t like North with a clear direction then Essendon. Watch us somehow climb the ladder to just be mediocre enough that the people running the club can fool themselves into thinking 2023 will be a big year.
Only time will tell if we cut too deep. The 25-28 cupboard is really bare.

But you want a top 4 pick this year. You can't play finals and finishing 10th won't help much. Warlaw, Tastas, Lemmmy and Scully. 1 of these could really help.

Sep 2, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
I’d rather be s**t like North with a clear direction then Essendon. Watch us somehow climb the ladder to just be mediocre enough that the people running the club can fool themselves into thinking 2023 will be a big year.
No offence to North but we shouldn’t be following them on how to rebuild

I would be looking at how Brisbane did it

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
I don’t think North are this bad because they are rebuilding poorly. They are terrible because of their incredibly poor drafting between 2010-15
Killed us!! We have no decent 25-28 year olds. So many middle of the road finishes. Im am fine to do the hard yards now to get a real shot at a flag down the track.

Its why a top 4 pick this year to add to Hobbs, Perkins, Cox, Jones, Reid etc will help in the long run when they all come through together.

Back